NBA Thread - 2009-10

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Heat lost to the Cavs in a good game, and its good to see the Heat look like a contender in the East behind the Big 3. Hopefully Beasley amd Chalmers keep getting better and I love Udonis as 6th man.

I hope you're including the tied for first in the South East Atlanta Hawks in that big 3. ;)

I won't deny how well the Lakers have played thus far, but there is one team would might be able to stop your Lakers...and that's my Celtics. :p

Seriously though, anyone else predicting another LA-Boston finals? I know I am, they're simply two out of this world teams right now, but we'll have to see if the Cavs are the real deal in the East and watch out for the Magic. The West is likely going to be won by LA again I think.

Am I the only one that thinks the East is now better than the West conference? Seriously, the tide has changed.

The only team I know that can beat the Lakers right now, and as much as I hate them, is your damned Celtics. This year would be a lot different though than 2007. The main reason that the Lakers lost that year was because of inexperience, Kobe couldn't get the help he truly needed in a lot of situations. Now they've gone to the dance twice and actually won one. It would make a great finals. The only thing better would be Cleveland V. LA.

The East is definitely the better conference. In the West I only see two teams that have a legitimate shot at making it to the finals. You have the Lakers who I believe are the best team in the league, and then you have the Nuggets. Outside of those two San Antonio is getting old, Portland is still too young, Dallas is inconsistent, Houston needs Yao and T Mac, Utah and New Orleans have been awful, Oklahoma City is a couple years away, and Phoenix can't win in the playoffs with their style of play.

The East has three teams with legit shots to make the finals and they have a lot of great young teams. Cleveland is starting to play very well and are always dangerous with LeBron, Boston has been impressive, and Orlando with a healthy Vince Carter could definitely make another finals appearance. After those three Miami has looked great so far, Atlanta is off to another good start, and Detroit once they get Rip and Tayshaun healthy could make some noise in the playoffs.

Absolutely. I was saying this the other day when this thread had died down a bit. I gotta hand it to LeBron and his squad, they're finally starting to get their shit together. He hooked it up for my Hawks two nights in a row beating Orlando and Miami and put Atlanta in a tie for first in the South East with Miami. Can't wait to see Atlanta V. Boston tonight. Hopefully I can talk some shit with X about it. :p

I won't deny how well the Lakers have played thus far, but there is one team would might be able to stop your Lakers...and that's my Celtics. :p

Seriously though, anyone else predicting another LA-Boston finals? I know I am, they're simply two out of this world teams right now, but we'll have to see if the Cavs are the real deal in the East and watch out for the Magic. The West is likely going to be won by LA again I think.

Am I the only one that thinks the East is now better than the West conference? Seriously, the tide has changed.

Hey Boston buddy...I WANT Lakers-Celtics just so we can beat you guys. The Celtics currently have 17 titles and the Lakers have 16. What better team to tie the record against than the leader themselves? The Lakers have tremendous talent and displayed it in blowing out the Suns last night. The Cavaliers can make a run but I believe Shaq will be their undoing eventually and they will suffer. Hey Xfearbefore, if you want to have a laugh, go to youtube and type in "I love LA" by Brian McKnight...the cheesiest and most hilarious music video you will ever see other than the infamous Rick Roll video.

But in all seriousness, to go out and beat up teams without Gasol, man, when we have everyone together, I forsee an epic 7 game series with Boston in the finals. That is if both teams play to their potential.

I'm just coming in here to gloat.

Did anyone else watch that ass whoopin' the Nuggets put on the Lakers last night? I sure as fuck did, how about you?

Lakers going to the finals? Pssh... I don't think so. I think if/when the Lakers play Denver in the playoffs this year, we'll be seeing a whole lot of what we saw last night, and that's of course the Nuggets destroying those no good rotten motherfuckers, whether Pau Gasol plays or not. :icon_razz:

Okay, I know I'm overreacting, but still... it was nice to see the Nuggets kick their ass, especially after reading all the Laker love in here yesterday, which made me absolutely sick to my stomach, for the record. I hate the Lakers, and if you root for them, then I hate you too. :icon_wink:

I'm just coming in here to gloat.

Did anyone else watch that ass whoopin' the Nuggets put on the Lakers last night? I sure as fuck did, how about you?

Lakers going to the finals? Pssh... I don't think so. I think if/when the Lakers play Denver in the playoffs this year, we'll be seeing a whole lot of what we saw last night, and that's of course the Nuggets destroying those no good rotten motherfuckers, Pau Gasol or not. :icon_razz:

Okay, I know I'm overreacting, but still... it was nice to see the Nuggets kick their ass, especially after reading all the Laker love in here yesterday, which mades me absolutely sick to my stomach, for the record. I hate the Lakers, and if you root for them, then I hate you too. :icon_wink:

I was definitely bummed the Lake show went down so hard last night. I actually am a little bit of a closet Nuggets fan though. I love the Bird Man. Speaking of "upsets," how about the Hawks. Come on, I haven't seen better defense than that in years!

Yeah two upsets last night with Atlanta going over Boston and the Nuggets laying an ass whooping down on the Lakers, which I thought was the more embarrassing of the two losses. It's only one game though, if we were to decide who the best teams were just from who won a single game early in the season, well that would be pretty downright foolish wouldn't it?

Once the Lakers have Gasol back, we'll see how the Nuggets do.

There we go Denver !!!!!!!!! That felt good as a Nuggets fan losing to them last year in the WCF was painful, they scored 8 points in the third quarter 8 !!! The Nuggets held the Lakers to only 23 second half points, the lowest amount in Laker history.

While it's only one game that was an impressive win Ty Lawson could start for a lot of teams at PG he was the steal of the draft in my opinion. That dunk Ty pulled off was sick.

This team looked possessed last night they really do hate the Lakers, and feel last year was a fluke. Watch out of J.R. Smith heats up that dude can drain threes like no other when he is in a groove.

Aaron Afflalo>Dahntay Jones against Aaflalo last night Kobe got only two points that's impressive defense against the best player on the planet.

I don't care if they didn't have Pau Gasol, that was a near 30 point beat down the Nuggs put on the champs. The defense Denver played was masterful, and Billups didn't even play that well at all, he only had 8 points on 1-7 shooting !

Lets go Nuggets!!!!!!!

Still can't get over the Hawks beating Boston on Friday night. What a great display of defense from Atlanta. Al Horford rocking the double double. 4/5 of the starters pulling down double digits. Jamal Crawford should easily fit in for 6th man of the year if he keeps averaging 20 points a game. Also can't get it through my mind that the Nuggets absolutely slaughtered the Lakers. The Lake Show continued to struggle tonight without Gasol. The East for once has totally stepped up and are the dominant conference.

Marcus Thronton had his coming out party last night, and I'm just coming in here to gloat about it. I told you all before that this guy was going to be great if he got a shot, and he did not let me down.

Seriously, Marcus Thronton could end up being on the best scorers in the league. Hell, he's basically just a smaller version of Carmello Anthony. New Orleans should definitely start the man, since their weak at the SG position anyway.

Nothing else to add, except to praise the Atlanta Hawks. They have looked absolutely fantastic this year, and I've made it no secrete about my love for Mike Bibby, so I'm really, really happy to see how well they're doing and I hope they can keep it up. But never did I expect for them to ever have the best record in the East. To be realistic, I don't think they'll keep that position, but I do think they have the talent to remain in the top 3. It'll be interesting and fun to follow, that's for sure.

The Hornets suck right now. Poor Chris Paul. He's by far the best Point Guard in the league, and it's such a shame to see him play with such a worthless team. Peja just can't stay healthy to save his life, and nobody on the team will step up. I think the Hornets need to start making a couple of trades and liven up that squad a bit. Also, Marcus Thornton should get some more playing time, as he could end up being one of the best scorers in the league off the bench (think of Ben Gordon when he was in Chicago).

I hate to gloat again, but I said this at the beginning of the season fuckers, and you know what? Marcus Thornton is proving me to be correct.

In a one point losing effort against Miami (keep in mind that Chris Paul wasn't playing), Marcus Thornton had 24 points coming off the bench. And the game before that he had 21 points against Atlanta in a victory, once again coming off the bench.

Didn't I tell you guys? I know it's just three games, but I've known since Thornton was in college that this guy was going to be a Superstar in this league, and he's proving me right with each passing game. And jmt225 loves being right.

At first, I thought it was wrong that New Orleans fired Byron Scott, but it's actually proving to be the right move because he wasn't playing Thornton, and it's obvious that Thornton should have been playing since the start of the season. Had Scott just gave this guy some minutes early on, he'd probably still have his job.

Great game between the Celtics and Knicks yesterday, we hadn't looked nearly as dominating in our last few games as we had in the first seven or so, and yesterday was no different in NY. Game went into overtime (always a plus) and KG got the game winner as time expired in the first OT, sealing another victory for the Celtics. Our chances for another banner are looking pretty darn good so far, though it is still obviously very early.

God those poor, poor Nets. They have to be one of the worst basketball teams I've ever seen in NBA history, 0-14 and not looking like they're going to be getting better anytime soon. Man how that franchise has imploded, from consistent playoffs appearances to a joke in the league. Bet Jason Kidd sure is glad he got out of there now.

In other news, the Celtics have had some internal discussion about bringing in Allen Iverson, but Danny Ainge said that they couldn't reach a decision and that he likely won't be coming to Boston, which, frankly, I'm glad about. Yeah, having an offensive weapon like AI would be great to have, but he's too much of an asshole, and we already saw how he feels about coming off the bench. I mean, maybe if he came here he wouldn't bitch as much about being on the bench because he'd be on a team with serious NBA title hopes, but I still doubt it. That, and I'm not sure I'd want to see AI in a Celtics uniform after years of hating his guts when he was with the 76ers. One of my favorite basketball games ever still remains the Celtics awesome triumph over AI and Philly in Game 5 of the opening round of the playoffs in 2002 with Paul Pierce dropping 40+.

I really don't think this is going anywhere at all though, I highly doubt AI is coming to Boston. If he were though, who knows, it might not be so bad considering how well Marbury fit in here last year. Something about Boston really seems to cool down jerk athletes.

God those poor, poor Nets. They have to be one of the worst basketball teams I've ever seen in NBA history, 0-14 and not looking like they're going to be getting better anytime soon. Man how that franchise has imploded, from consistent playoffs appearances to a joke in the league. Bet Jason Kidd sure is glad he got out of there now.

Hell yeah, man. If they don't beat the Kings, they have the Lakers and Mavericks after that, which would then give them a 0-18 record, which would be the worst start in NBA history.

What's really sad is that they have one of the most talented big men in the league in Brook Lopez. That guy is a fucking stud, and it's such a shame to see all his talent go to waste.

But you know what? I don't think the Nets give a damn about the season at this point. They just want to get it over with and get their hands on a couple of names during what should be the biggest off-season in NBA history that's coming up. It's unethical to think like that, but you know they are.

In other news, the Celtics have had some internal discussion about bringing in Allen Iverson, but Danny Ainge said that they couldn't reach a decision and that he likely won't be coming to Boston, which, frankly, I'm glad about. Yeah, having an offensive weapon like AI would be great to have, but he's too much of an asshole, and we already saw how he feels about coming off the bench. I mean, maybe if he came here he wouldn't bitch as much about being on the bench because he'd be on a team with serious NBA title hopes, but I still doubt it. That, and I'm not sure I'd want to see AI in a Celtics uniform after years of hating his guts when he was with the 76ers. One of my favorite basketball games ever still remains the Celtics awesome triumph over AI and Philly in Game 5 of the opening round of the playoffs in 2002 with Paul Pierce dropping 40+.

Well, Allen Iverson announced his retirement today, so this most likely isn't happening. And I think that's good for Boston. I'm one of the biggest Iverson defenders here, but Boston already has everything they need to win a championship. They do not need Iverson. They don't need anyone at this point.

In other news, how awesome has 'White Chocolate' Jason Williams been this year? I'm watching Orlando vs. Miami right now, and he has 23 points, on 8-11 shooting. That's pretty amazing considering he didn't play at all last year. But this guy has never seized to amaze me. He's one of my favorite players of all time, and I'm very glad to see him playing again, and playing well. He's really going to help Orlando come playoff time, especially if Nelson is healthy.

Just read myself about AI announcing his retirement. He really seems like someone who is beginning for the attention. He needs to face it. He isn't the star he once was. 10 times as an all star is great, but that is in the past. It is time for him to realize that if he isn't a stepping stone for the youth on a team, then yes, he should retire.

Recently on ESPN they had a poll on what AI would be remembered for? The two options were a 10 time all star or the practice rant. When I clicked it the poll results were in favor of the practice rant. And that isn't even the funny part, he had a long career in Philly and PA had 52% saying he would be remembered for being a ten time all star. You're thinking that's no big deal, but it is. AI is pretty much forgettable, he was selfish, could not win a championship and couldn't elevate his younger teammates. Don't get me wrong he was a good player but when your biggest claim to fame is ranting about practice during an interview. That right there is telling you something.

He should stay retired and I believe most teams believe he is a poison. New York was interested in him for a brief second, then they realized he wasn't worth the hassle. Which is funny because New York has been shit for years and they need a way to put asses in the seats. So when a struggling franchise doesn't want you, you should know your basketball career is over. I am glad AI saw the light and finally called it quits. He can now go down as the most overrated basketball player to ever play the game.

I don't think AI is forgettable per se Brian, but he's certainly not going to be remembered solely for his achievements on the court, athletes who stir controversy like that will always be known for that controversy. More people would probably remember Reggie Jackson saying that he was "the straw that stirs the drink" on the Yankees than his career on the field (outside of winning that WS game).

I don't believe AI is done, I'll believe it when I truly see it. I'm shocked no team has given him the chance at a starting job, you'd think even a lesser ballclub wouldn't mind throwing him on the court. Shit, do the Nets have any money? Their team is so awful that throwing AI in might actually help. That's one of the few situations I could possibly imagine that working out though. AI doesn't like to be a roleplayer, he likes to be the star of the show, and in a place like NJ right now he could be that I suppose.

He'll sign with some team in a month or two I'm willing to bet.

Yeah the Nets are horrible, and I hate to stick up for them but.... any team that is missing three of their projected starters have missed half the year of course you are going to struggle.

Especially when, as is the case with the Nets, the depth behind those players is very very very ordinary.

Devin Harris their starting PG and best player has played 5 gams for the year, 2 of which he has been eased back from injury. Courtney Lee the centerpiece of the Vince Carter trade has played 8 games. Yi Jianlian has only played in four games. Thats you starting back court and starting PF that have missed significant chunks of the season, makes it hard when their is not much left on the bench. Even if the players missing are no the greatest.

There have been some shining lights to their season however. Such as Chris Douglas Roberts stepping up and playing some good games. I still think the Nets stink even with all their players back, but I think with a better run with injury they may have been able to register a win or 2, and I certainly think they are better than Minnesota (ok not saying much).

As for Iverson in New Jersey? Again horrible match up. AI wants to be on a contender and wants to start. Nets certainly are not a contender and unless Harris and/or Lee/Douglas Roberts go down and miss larger chunks of the season he wont start. The Nets have invested in a youth movement , with only 4 players on their entire roster having over 5 years experience in the NBA. Yes AI might be able to teach them things, but overall the dude is a cancer and not what you want on a young team. He would of been good in Boston where old heads like Pierce, KG and Ray Allen could of kept him in check.

God I love the AI hate. I just love it.

How some of you people can come on here and talk about how big of an asshole AI is(a guy you've never met) and still come on here and praise guys like Kobe(accused of rape), Artest(punched a fan), Shaq(made a god awful song about Kobe), Lebron(wouldn't let footage of him being dunked on by a high school student be released), and other players of the sort is beyond me.

Sure Allen Iverson wants to start and why shouldn't he? He was definitely a better player than Mike Conley. His whole point of view was, "If we're winning, I don't care, but we were losing and I wasn't playing." That makes perfect sense. Why would you not use your best offensive weapon in a game? Especially when you're team, who has a history of being a horrible scoring team, is getting their asses beat night in and night out. You can't blame Iverson for wanting to play and don't give me the BS about stunting the growth of players like Mike Conley. Conley will never be an all star player. So, IMO, there was no growth to stunt. He probably would have benefited more just by watching AI.

Anyway, it looks AI is going back home to the Sixers. This is a perfect fit. Williams is down and the team is having problems scoring. Insert AI and this is going to work beautifully. He isn't going to be any poison, as some of you like to say, because he has played with 5 guys on the team that are still playing and he knows most of the staff and they know and like him. So I think that Philly knows exactly what they are getting themselves into by pursuing AI.

When his career is over, he will not be forgettable and he will not be remembered for "talkin 'bout practice." He will be remembered for being one of the best guards to ever play the game. He will be remembered for being the best little man to ever play the game. He will be remembered as The Answer.

THE SIXERS HAVE FOUND THEIR ANSWER!

Allen Iverson is returning "home," as the Philadelphia 76ers announced via their team website Wednesday morning that they have signed the future Hall of Famer and longtime Philly favorite to a one-year deal.

Team President Ed Stefanski said in a news release that the team believed "Allen was the best available free agent guard to help" after the injury to Lou Williams, who will miss up to eight weeks

As a Sixers' fan, words can not express how happy I am. I never knew how much I loved AI until he left. After he left the Sixers I seem to have followed. I still followed the team, but it wasn't the same and I couldn't get into it like I use to. But with Iverson returning I can't wait to watch the game on Monday and seeing him reunite with the Philly crowd and seeing him rocking the new Sixers threads. When AI made his return to Philly as a Nugget, I was at that game and it was a truly special moment. I can't imagine the standing ovation he will get when he returns as a Sixer.

So the 76ers brought AI back. I really don't know what to say about this. If I was the 76ers I wouldn't want him for the purpose of actually trying to win, or rebuild the troubled franchise. But if I want to keep ticket sales going up, if I want to make the media, then sure it's a good move.

Onto other news, the Raptors were destroyed by Atlanta, as the terrific Hawks keep up their dominating ways. The dinos are in trouble and they have to act soon.

Good move for both parties, if you ask me.

Lou Williams is hurt; the Sixers are struggling because of it (well, in part of it, I should say), and the Sixers are also lacking attendance and media attention. Re-signing Allen Iverson solves the latter, and could perhaps even help make the Sixers into an 8th seed team. Maybe not, but definitely keep them from the lowest of the low in the Eastern Conference.

Now, this is great for Iverson, well, because Lou Williams is hurt, which gives him a starting spot, and also because Eddie Jordan is not a hard ass. He’s a “Player’s Coach”, so to speak, and will most likely just let Iverson do his thing out there. So, yeah… Philly is the perfect place for A.I., once again, and I for one am looking forward to see what happens with him.

As far as A.I. being selfish and all that… sure, I guess he is. But whatever. That still doesn’t diminish how great of a player he was, and perhaps still is, so all that stuff doesn’t bother me in the least bit. I’m rooting for Iverson.

Wow, anyone see that Lakers/Heat game, has to have been the craziest game of the year, I'm so glad the Lakers won or I wouldn't have been able to go to sleep today.

Also, AI I don't know, I don't think he'll hurt the 6'ers but he's not really going to do anything for them, imo, kind've a stagnant move. The real killer for that team is Elton Brand and his contract. He's going to hold them back until they can get rid of him. Terrible, TERRIBLE signing, and karma on him.

That was the luckiest shot I've ever seen in my life. Fuck the Lakers, man. God I can't stand them. But whatever. Can't wait to see the Nuggets beat their ass again. Also, it'll be nice to see the Lakers get their asses handed to them on Christmas day as well. :icon_wink:

Also, while we're talking about that game, does anyone else find Jermaine O'Neal incredibly annoying nowadays? Seriously, this motherfucker gets on my last damn nerve with that thug nonsense. Ever since the Artest/Pistons incident went down where O'Neal sucker punched some fat ass, it seems as if he's thought of himself as hot shit who could whoop anyone's ass. A couple of weeks ago he tried to start shit with Dwight Howard for NO reason whatsoever, and he did basically the same thing tonight with Lamar Odom. What is this guy's deal? I really want to see someone beat the shit out of him. He's seriously starting to rank up there with Kenyon Martin as the player I hate most in the whole NBA.

Lol as long as we beat them in the Playoff's again I can live with a beating in the regular season(just not til the next game).

Hmm, Jermaine O'Neal, I don't find him too annoying, I just wish they'd let them fight it out. I don't think there's really any players I find annoying, I kind've don't like Shaq anymore, also AI has been bugging me lately. Yeah AI bugs me, the fact that he is SO unwilling to come off the bench is really sad to me. I mean c'mon you're still making 2 mil for playing ball.

Lakers, Lakers, Lakers. 10 in a row is quite a run now isn't. I honestly would not of thought the Lakers would be this good at the start of the season, I thought it would have taken them a few months to get all there chemistry together with who gets the first shot and that shit, and I am really surprised Artest is willing to take the 4th shot for the team. I thought he wouldn't of liked that but Artest is happy just being on a winning team for once I guess.

Farmar and Brown. What a lethal combo for the bench. Farmar has been killing it and then you get Brown Jamming on your ass, couldn't be much better. Odom is having an alright year as well.

Whats surprised me tho is the Lebron James and Shaq combo. I didn't think they would have lsot 6 games so quick this season. Lebron needs to start to carry the team again I see, but I guess they do have some people out as well ( mario, and Powe) which would be good for the bench. And Celtics, only lost 4 games. Seems like age isn't going to catch up with them this season, or is it Rondo helping this team out?

What about Jennings 55 point STELLAR performance, ha this season has turned out good so far, mainly because Cavs aren't as good and Lakers are better hahahah...

The Pistons just beat the Denver Nuggets and have now won 4 in a row. The most impressive part is that they have gone on this winning streak without their three best players for the most part. Rip and Tayshaun have missed almost the whole season and Ben Gordon has missed a lot time recently. Gordon played in 2 of the last 4, but only logged significant minutes in one game.

The starting lineup for Detroit in these games looks horrendous on paper, but they are getting the job done. Their starters right now are Rodney Stuckey, Chucky Atkins, Jonas Jerebko, Jason Maxiell, and Ben Wallace. The best news for Detroit is that Tayshaun and Ben Gordon should both be back this weekend and Rip Hamilton is due back January 1'st. They aren't going to be winning the NBA title this year, but they are playing great basketball and I guarantee no team will want to see them in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back