• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

MOSH PIT: The "Metalhead" Thread

Just got a hold of the new Soilwork album The Panic Braodcast, and I've got to say I'm tremendously disappointed in the bands work on this.

Björn's melodies seem contrived and forced, and the vocals don't always really fit the song style, nor does the song styles fit what I've come to think of when I think of Soilwork.

Long-time Soilwork guitarist and founder Peter Wichers returned, which is fantastic, but the actual guitar work on this album – most notably the rhythms – seem to be... lacking. Sylvian Coudret was picked up as a new rhythm guitarist, so I'm not sure I can really blame it on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Panic_Broadcast

In an interview with SuicideGirls.com, Wichers spoke about what direction the band might take musically with its next album. "We talked about maybe taking a little bit of a different approach for the next record," he said. "Having me and Sylvain back in the band, I think that we're probably going to try to do stuff that might be a little more technical. We want to keep the element of the catchy chorus but at the same time maybe have bit more guitar solos than on 'Sworn to a Great Divide' and also let Dirk [Verbeuren, drums] get more space on the record for drumming. That was one of the things I think that 'Sworn to a Great Divide' was lacking a little bit. It's a good record but I think that with such talented musicians the next album definitely needs to have more performance."[3] Peter Wichers also stated that this album will have more blues elements that previous albums and even said that one of the riffs for 'The Thrill' was inspired by a bluegrass riff.

It definitely is different, which might be a breathe of fresh air for some Soilwork or Björn fans, but personally I was a huge fan of Sworn to a Great Divide which in my opinion was their best album to date, so this album falls significantly short of it in my eyes.

Just got a hold of the new Soilwork album The Panic Braodcast, and I've got to say I'm tremendously disappointed in the bands work on this.

Björn's melodies seem contrived and forced, and the vocals don't always really fit the song style, nor does the song styles fit what I've come to think of when I think of Soilwork.

Long-time Soilwork guitarist and founder Peter Wichers returned, which is fantastic, but the actual guitar work on this album – most notably the rhythms – seem to be... lacking. Sylvian Coudret was picked up as a new rhythm guitarist, so I'm not sure I can really blame it on him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Panic_Broadcast

In an interview with SuicideGirls.com, Wichers spoke about what direction the band might take musically with its next album. "We talked about maybe taking a little bit of a different approach for the next record," he said. "Having me and Sylvain back in the band, I think that we're probably going to try to do stuff that might be a little more technical. We want to keep the element of the catchy chorus but at the same time maybe have bit more guitar solos than on 'Sworn to a Great Divide' and also let Dirk [Verbeuren, drums] get more space on the record for drumming. That was one of the things I think that 'Sworn to a Great Divide' was lacking a little bit. It's a good record but I think that with such talented musicians the next album definitely needs to have more performance."[3] Peter Wichers also stated that this album will have more blues elements that previous albums and even said that one of the riffs for 'The Thrill' was inspired by a bluegrass riff.

It definitely is different, which might be a breathe of fresh air for some Soilwork or Björn fans, but personally I was a huge fan of Sworn to a Great Divide which in my opinion was their best album to date, so this album falls significantly short of it in my eyes.

I have a pretty open taste in Metal, dating back to Sabbath and to more recent bands like 5FDP. One of my all time favourite albums has to be Machine Head's The Blackening, along with Master Of Puppets which is a masterpiece. Slipknot do it for me though, can never get enough of them and their latest release, All Hope Is Gone I love out of the four studio releases they have out. Saw them when they came to the arena in December '08 on their AHIG World Tour with Machine Head, one of the best nights of my life. But I also love bands like Pantera, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, Slayer, KoRn, Iron Maiden and a ton more. Going to see 36 Crazyfists and DevilDriver when they come to the academy (A music venue in Newcastle) in November, wasn't that big on DD years ago but gotten into them a great deal over the past year.

I actually write for a metal site. I need to make a thorough post on this thread, but I need the time to go through it and PM those of you, with whom I share a taste, one by one to share musical groups.

I promise to read this thread over. For now, however, I will give my personal favorites.

I am a HUGE hardcore fan.

Hardcore bands: Blood for Blood, Bane, In My Eyes, Judge, Ten Yard Fight, 108, Charles Bronson, Skarhead, H2O, SSD, Slapshot, Iceburn, Warzone, All Out War, Buried Alive, Better Than A Thousand, Uniform Choice, and Chain Of Strength.

Metal/ish: Unearth, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, Discordance Axis, Pig Destroyer, Mystic Circle, Nightwish, Melt Banana, His Hero Is Gone, Cephalic Carnage, Nile, Dahmer, Retch, Fuck...I'm Dead, Ire, Bird of Ill Omen, Goratory, Cock and Ball Torture, and The Haunted.

Sceamo: Song of Zarathustra, The Assistant, Three Studies for a Crucifixion, The Red Scare, Reversal of Man, To Dream of Autumn, Angel Hair, and I Hate Myself.

I have to say I was impressed by the new As I Lay Dying album. But maybe that's because of a huge mark for them ever since I saw the video to "Confined." Badass...

Anyway, I just picked up the new August Burns Red album, Constellations, and was thoroughly impressed with just about every song. I became a fan of them after I heard "Composure" off of their previous album, Messengers. This album made me go back and check out Messengers, and I discovered a few sweet tracks I hadn't noticed the first time around.

augustburnsredconstella.jpg

augustburnsredconstella.jpg

I'm on a big metalcore kick right now...fixing to check out the two albums from A Hero A Fake. Maybe I'll post my thoughts I don't know yet.

Just started listening to a band called The Faceless. It's really good stuff, apparently it is considered deathcore but to be honest I can never telll the difference between death and deathcore. Anyway, it's got some great progressive type elements to it. The instrumental song Akeldama is pretty awesome stuff. There was a sticker on the front of the CD that said "for fans of Meshuggah and BTBAM" which is why I picked it up, and I'd tend to agree that if you like those bands, this is solid stuff.

Just thought I'd come share a couple bands that I listen to, huge 'effin Metal Head!

My favorite band period is Amon Amarth. I absolutely love everything about these guys. They probably have some of the catchiest guitar riffs in MUSIC and Johan Hegg is one of the best frontmen around. Seen them live a couple times and they put on a killer show, highly recommended.

A couple of other bands I listen to include,
Arch Enemy, Children of Bodom, DoomSword, Dream Theater, Eluveitie, Ensiferum, Iced Earth, Korpiklaani, Pagan's Mind, Rebellion, Sabaton, 3 Inches of Blood.

STAY METAL!

Something that all metal fans should watch is the short film by slipknot the film is called Snuff. For those who have seen it post some thoughts on it. I personally love the film because of the way it was done with the non-naturalism and the creativity and im sure those who have seen it can agree with me.

Has anyone heard the new Bullet For my Valentine album I just bought it a couple days ago really enjoying the album so far I think Scream Aim Fire is a better album but its still a worthy buy. My fav song on the new album is "Pretty on the outside" the lyrics carry something very special and have lots of meaning that really strike a chord.

A bit about myself as a metal lover I love metal not because of the head banging and the loud noise but because of the energy it admits. Also for the songs that carry alot of meaning in them like Snuff and Vermillion those songs really are covered in meaning and philosophy.

I myself am in a metal band I play Drums, Bass, Guitar and I also scream I want to go on and not continue in a band but study to be a sound engineer and so then i can eventually make music with other metal bands and so people can share all the feelings and make the same connections i do with my music.

Hope you enjoyed reading that and learned a little about me

yeah I herad the B4MV album, but men...Pretty on the Outside it's like the most shallow song ever written lol! seriously, when I was a die hard fan for metalcore, they were the biggest for me. however now I think that they indeed know how to write music, but not lyrics. those lyrics are way to obvious, without metaphores...anyway I agree the best album is SAF, is the heaviest! :headbanger:

I don't think anyone might have heard, but Velvet Cacoon is no more and both members went on to form some other band, which split after less than a year or so. The band's name escapes me, but I think they released two albums. Has anyone checked 'em out by any chance? How different is the band's sound compared to VC's bloated black metal material?

...any black metal fans who listen to the non-basics?

Got a hold of Dimmu Borgir's newest release "Abrahadabra" today.

Album is fantastic as far as I'm concerned — far better than any of their prior work, which to me seemed muddled and often monotonous and boring. Not that they can't play their instruments, but when you look up and realize you're at track eight of twelve and didn't even realize the tracks changed, there's something wrong with the album. Not every song should sound exactly the same like that IMO, and they really changed that for this record.

It's much more atmospheric and melodic, which people will shit on, but as a fan of melodic death/black metal, this is right up my alley.

I strongly suggest you all check it out, or at the very least the single "Gateways".

[YOUTUBE]_jw7yk8hm_0[/YOUTUBE]

I don't think anyone might have heard, but Velvet Cacoon is no more and both members went on to form some other band, which split after less than a year or so. The band's name escapes me, but I think they released two albums. Has anyone checked 'em out by any chance? How different is the band's sound compared to VC's bloated black metal material?

...any black metal fans who listen to the non-basics?

Yeah man, i got a few black metal bands I play from time to time. You got any deathspell omega or 1349. Thats basically what I lisiten to out of the norm. Damn good bands, and frost is one of my top 10 drummers today. Great black metal drummer.

Got a hold of Dimmu Borgir's newest release "Abrahadabra" today.

Album is fantastic as far as I'm concerned — far better than any of their prior work, which to me seemed muddled and often monotonous and boring. Not that they can't play their instruments, but when you look up and realize you're at track eight of twelve and didn't even realize the tracks changed, there's something wrong with the album. Not every song should sound exactly the same like that IMO, and they really changed that for this record.

It's much more atmospheric and melodic, which people will shit on, but as a fan of melodic death/black metal, this is right up my alley.

I strongly suggest you all check it out, or at the very least the single "Gateways".

[YOUTUBE]_jw7yk8hm_0[/YOUTUBE]

Honestly bro i'm a huge fan of Dimmu, and it took me a while to go out and get the album. To be honest I didn't even hear the single tille a few weeks after it came out. The chick can go to hell for all i care. The new version of dimmu without Ics and Mustis is much better. They are finally focusing on what they really are. A great metal band that finally got back on track. I loved their previous 3 albums with Ics, I liked his studio vocals. But really he was shit live and kind of a brain slug on the whole group.

They are finally getting back to what they are good at being Symphonic metal band. Honestly black metal is cool, i like it. But religion has no place in anything I lisiten to. Go ahead in put it in your songs. But it won't make me go.... OMG.

One little tidbit about the vid, lol Shagrath's coat looks like somthing my aunt had back in the 70's bedazzled much ? That just made me lol.

I'm a huge fan of Heavy Metal so I decided ot make a thread dedicated to the genre. I will try to post a song or 2 from a different artist once a week (maybe more if I'm not to busy) but I also want to hear what Heavy Metal songs you guys enjoy listening to so if you got some that people may have not heard of don't be afaraid to post them. Short story is that this is exactly like Ty's All Hip Hop thread only about Heavy Metal.

[youtube]JO7TZGgBbOw[/youtube][youtube]XUd4Cbc49mg[/youtube]​

As the title implies the first band is called 3 inches of Blood and they are from Vancouver, BC​

I first heard Deadly Sinners on T.H.U.G. 2 for PS2 and I loved it. Since then I've been listening to a ton of thier stuff on youtube and It's all been great. This band has everything i like in Heavy Metal songs. Over the top, vocals, guitar & drums. i know some people hate songs like these but with me this kind of music just clicks as a fan.​

Im not a huge fan of heavy metal, but there are a few bands that I like.

As I Lay Dying: Parrallels[YOUTUBE]0TR5vG7pmCQ[/YOUTUBE]

My favorite heavy metal band. I have all five of their studio albums, but Parrallels is probably my favorite song by them. Even as a Christian myself, I dislike most Christian music because it flat out sucks. This band quite defies the stereotype as they're both quite talented and sing about Christian themes such as hope, redememption, and freedom, which is what Parrallels is about.

Lamb of God: Again We Rise
[YOUTUBE]yILFCO9ZLBE [/YOUTUBE]

Obviously, a band on the other end of the spectrum of AILD as their music is anything BUT positive in nature. Still, the guitar riffs in much of their music stands out as memorable, and seeing them live is such an awe-inspiring event. There's nothing like a band that tries to get you into their music with the words "Fuck you", but Lamb of God succeeded, and easily. Another band whose entire discography I own, and enjoy. They're quite over the top with both the vocals and the music as a good metal band should be. They're not for everyone and they grew on me as I despised them on first listen, but as my tastes changed and I expanded my musical horizons I found that Lamb of God fit perfectly. It's a band I never fail to listen to at the gym or even in the car when Ive had a bad day at work. There's alot of raw anger here, and something about that is quite appealing to me.

I'm still hoping that this thread will catch on especially now that it's stickied (thanks Tdig) but if I'm the only person who posts in here so be it.

[youtube]v9NYtvGQkjQ[/youtube][youtube]WccfbPQNMbg[/youtube]
I would like to point out that the songs are my personal favorites. If you don't like these particular songs check out others on youtube.​

As the video for We Want Fun suggests I first heard Andrew W.K. on the special features from Jackass the Movie. Andrew W.K. does Heavy Metal the way I like it, over the top. I have to say Party Hard as passed We Want Fun as my favorite. The main thing i like about Andrew W.K. is that he;s different from other Heavvy Metal bands I enjoy. Theo ne's that I've heard are just violent and while I nejoy that in my Heavy Metal the fact that this is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum appeals to me and i enjoy it a lot. Thanks to the last.fm app on my 360 I'll be able to add to this for a long time.​

This thread is also for general discussion not just song posting.​

How the fuck do you get to front the metal thread lmfao? Wow is all I will say

Right now basically I'm doing work for 2 members of Devildriver. No bullshit, I applied to work on the E team for their new guitar website All Axess. If anyone wants links to it shoot me a pm. But part of our deal is to also get the new Cd out and promoted.

So if you like BRUTAL metal and want a new Cd to shoot in your brain Febuary 22nd Devildriver puts out their new Cd Beast!

Here are the three songs they've put out from it so far. They all sound great

DevilDriver - Beast - Bring The Fight (To The Floor)

[YOUTUBE]nbPKtxjSakc[/YOUTUBE]

Devildriver Coldblooded

[YOUTUBE]VzpFGWlZZTQ[/YOUTUBE]

Dead To Rights

[YOUTUBE]waxwdSEK-z0[/YOUTUBE]

Guys and girls here we go! HEAVY METAL TIME, anyone who knows me knows I have a giant love for all things hard rock and heavy metal. So here we go!

53rd Grammy nominations for The best metal performance!

1- Iron Maiden – "El Dorado"
[YOUTUBE]coBzy-tPdws[/YOUTUBE]

2- Korn – "Let the Guilt Go"
[YOUTUBE]vw0SfHpoRvs[/YOUTUBE]

3- Lamb of God – "In Your Words"
[YOUTUBE]3l2_KpfCcmA[/YOUTUBE]

4- Megadeth – "Sudden Death"
[YOUTUBE]8TfZHas3MYo[/YOUTUBE]

5-Slayer – "World Painted Blood"
[YOUTUBE]co3KgHPFZeI[/YOUTUBE]

Right now I will just let it be known. Lamb of god and Megadeth are the best metal bands to ever be nominated for this award but to never win it. I believe that last year Ministry was fucking ROBBED by Judas priest.

I had it as Ministry beating out LoG by a very small margin. But Judas came out of no ware with a very lackluster song in my humble oppinion to win it over a very powerful politicaly charged song from my friend Uncle Al and company at Ministry.

But this year I have it down to Megadeth and Lamb of god, both songs are fucking beast. But I'm going to take it as if they include the sub song the passing in the voting Lamb of god will edge out Dave and Co. The passing adds so much to in your words its not even funny. Its slow and melodic like Grace but it comes in after that and just punches you in the face.

Megadeth's song Sudden death is no slouch in this round either. Randy Blythe and the boys from Virginia will have a hard time this year over coming the Golden hair Golden God Dave Mustaine.

My sleeper in this round will be El Dorado, Iron is just getting better with age. But I believe that this year Lamb of God and Megadeth will have a really epic battle on their hands at the grammys. Either way I get to see at least one of my favorite band members get up on stage and finally get one of musics highest honors.

To me. heavy metal does not get much better than this

[YOUTUBE]_mWPPBW4DU8[/YOUTUBE]

Just pure brutality, but not over-the-top screaming...which I am not a fan of.

[YOUTUBE]wQLQC4ln05o[/YOUTUBE]

A wonderfully heavy song that shows Robb Flynn can actually sing. I am not a huge fan of much of Machine Head's work, but these 2 show what kind of metal I really like. Brilliant to work out to and to let off some steam

Hell yeah dude! I love Robb Flynn, he's got an amazing voice and can play a beast of a guitar riff. His early thrash stuff isn't up to par with what he is doing now, but it was deffinatly great back in the late thrash era. He still puts alot of thrash style riffs in his shit, and I like that. For years i've cited Robb as one of the best singers/ growlers in metal. His voice takes a back seat to no singer that plays the same game as his of course.

[YOUTUBE]3TY_zITJ68k[/YOUTUBE]

Lol glad to see someone posting good quality metal songs Natural. Lets see some of the stuff you regularly got playing!!

Gonna drop another couple more on yo' asses today guys.

[YOUTUBE]7m7njvwB-Ks[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favourite Pantera songs, apart from the more famous hits. It is all about the Father of a guy who got his ass kicked at a Pantera gig after heckling Phil Anselmo...his Dad demanded 5 minutes alone with Phil

[YOUTUBE]bTSbT-Gu00E[/YOUTUBE]

An amazing cover. Definitely one of my favourite covers of recent years, A7X nail this one. I would say it is almost as good as the Pantera original. An iconic piece of music

Easily one of the best metal bands out there.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2z55xTqM10[/YOUTUBE]

Not everyone likes bands like this, but I do obviously. Good guitars, good drumming, and good vocals.

EDIT: Well, for whatever reason the video isn't coming up, but it's Parway Drive- 5 Months.

Milenko, this one is for you buddy.

"Arms of Sorrow"
By Killswitch Engage

I'm not the metal type, but I do like a lot of Killswitch Engage along with other metal groups who do a lot of singing instead of actual screaming in their music. So forgive me Milenko if I don't post here much.

'Arms of Sorrow' is easily one of my favorite Killswitch Engage songs. Right from the beginning of the song you can tell that this was going to be all clean vocals. The slow acoustic grabbed my attention. Next the song goes into some extremely heavy guitar.Howard Jones' vocals match perfectly and create the mood for the song. I gotta say, the vocals are the best cleans in Killswitch Engage's complete history. This is an excellent song. It may not be aggressive like many of Killswitch Engage's songs, but is very good. At some points you can hear Adam D. giving screams in the background. This screaming i probably the only 'aggression' in this track.

Another part of the song that stood out would be the chorus. Howard really hit the perfect notes for this song. In a way, "The Arms of Sorrow" is more like a ballad because of the actual focus on singing instead of screaming.

Anyone who knows real metal new metal today can state at least one fact if they have seen this band. Mastodon if they keep up this pace will be one of the greatest bands ever. While they have left us with great music to play in our whatever mastodon announced on January 13th of this year that they are in the process of writing a new album!!! Also They are set to release a live Dvd/cd on March 15th called Live At The Aragon.

Also Machine head plan to start recording a new album in april. This will be their first album since the Blackening in 2007. While that is a long time they are known to have a bit of length inbetween their albums, but they never let us down.

Well in other news the Rockstar Mayhem Fest band lineups were announced, Here we go! Headlining are Disturbed, Godsmack, And Megadeth. In support of the three headlining bands will be Machine head, In flames, and Trivium. On the Extreme stage it looks like more of a show I personally would pay for! Suicide Silence, All shall Perish, and Straight line stitch. Rounding out the group would be the world famous Jagermeister stage, packed with talent this year we will see Unearth, Kingdom of sorrow, and Red Fang!

As usual in early February you will never find any cards or lineups posted for Ozzfest. Well is that really a shocker?

The best show or fest this year in my opinion will be this years Hell fest in France, from June 17th to the 19th it will just be good rock and metal being shoved down your throat. I can't go for obvious reasons but lets just throw this out there. Iggy and the stooges, the scorpions and Ozzy are the leads on the main stage for the three days. If you don't like what is on the main stage you have 3 other stages you can go see with just mind blowing talent. Even the lowest stage on the card has great bands on it this year, and hell fest usually in my opinion gets the smallest stage pretty hyped.

Well in other news the Rockstar Mayhem Fest band lineups were announced, Here we go! Headlining are Disturbed, Godsmack, And Megadeth. In support of the three headlining bands will be Machine head, In flames, and Trivium.

Sounds pretty awesome man, I am a BIG Godsmack fan, I am listening to "The Oracle" at the moment in the car. Great band, who sadly never bother touring the UK, which sucks. I would love to see them live.

Disturbed and Megadeth are pretty awesome too, and I wouldn't mind seeing Machine Head or Trivium either. I prefer Trivium when they sing, not scream but I think they would be good in concert, I am a big fan of their "Crusade" album.

Sad news from yesterday. We all know people die, we have learned that. But when someone you grow up with like family or on the tube dies it will impact you. Well yesterday it was reported that former Skid Row and Thin Lizzy guitarist Gary Moore died at the age of 58. He was on holiday in Spain when this happened.

So lets rejoice people! He may be dead but his music in the wake of his death will allways live on! Today I would like to request all rock, hard rock, or metal fans to get on youtube and search his name and pick up one of his videos. You won't be dissapointed!!

[youtube]NylGesTmH60[/youtube][youtube]crzovTO9vKg[/youtube]
[youtube]BNUEhLavV2k[/youtube]​

All 3 of these songs I heard on my copy of the Dracula 2000 soundtrack. Great CD all around but these 3 are my favorites.​

Aviod the light is what got me into Pantera. It's got more of a mellow feel to it than most Heavy Metal but this song kicks so much ass I can live with that. best song I've heard from Pantera yet and I've listened to a ton of their stuff on youtube.​

Ostego Undead is the only Static-X song I've heard so far but if the rest are anything like this one I can say right now I'm a fan. A good part of the song is from 2:00-2:14. It's in the background and I have no idea what to call it it's just something I've never heard in a Metal song before and it fits with this song very well.​

Bloodline has more of the feel I enjoy in a Heavy Metal song so i guess it's weird that's it's #3 on my list instead of #1 but that's the way it worksd out. Really though it's a great song and it took me a little bit to deside what Order to put them in.​

All 3 are fan-fucking-tastic and if you've never heard these bands start with these songs and take it from there. If you like these ones you'll like more I promise.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back