• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Throughout the decades-Rock music

Tim

This is a very simple question. Which is your favourite decade in rock music? For this thread, we'll just have the 70s, the 80s, the 90s and the 2000s. Just a quick overview of each decade:

There a number of rock bands that everyone knows that originated in the 70s, and there were a number of subgenres created then as well. Bands such as AC/DC, Aerosmith and Kiss were formed in the 1970s. Hard rock and heavy metal became more popular, with bands such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple. Punk Rock was born, with bands such as The Clash and The Sex Pistols leading the genre.

In the 1980s, rock was still thriving. Innovations were achieved in rock guitar, and new forms of rock, such as thrash metal, became popular with bands like Metallica becoming mainstream. Alternative rock was also introduced, one of the main bands in this genre being R.E.M. Even more subgenres were formed, with Guns N' Roses adding a harder edge to glam metal.

The 1990s were dominated by rock and its different subgenres, with Nirvana being more melodic grunge rock, and bands like Oasis being pioneers in the genre Birtpop. Later on in the 90s, a lot of grunge bands broke up, which caused grunge to become less popular. And a lot of indie rock, underground rock music, bands were formed as most rock was shunned in favour of hip hop music.

In the 2000s, garage rock became popular again. Bands such as The Hives and The White Stripes all were successful for a period of time. Rock is divided into many subgenres now, and there is no true rock sound. There is punk rock, metal, alternative rock, rap rock etc.

I think that the 1970s were the best decade in rock, they gave birth to my favourite genre, punk rock, and were some of my favourite bands, such as AC/DC were formed. A lot of musicians in later years modelled their music off of bands from the 1970s. And the 1970s are a large part of what rock is today. We would not have 1/4 of the rock artists we have today if it weren't for this decade, as the different bands and genres would not have been formed.

So what is your favourite decade in rock music?

My fave decade is the current one as it is where I started to love rock music and I started getting into Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Blink 182 although I have grown out of them now. It's also my fave decade as it's Disturbed and Evanescence started to gain exposure and they're my 2 favourite bands

Reactions: Tim
I'd have to say that my favorite is the 00's. My favorite bands are Metallica , Avenged Sevenfold , Rise Against , 3 Doors Down and Linkin Park. All of those but one was started in the 2000's. The only reason Rock isnt as big as i used to be is because of all of the differerent genres. I think that Rock music needs to just all be classed together. No more Emo Rock , Hard Rock , Alternate Rock , etc. They just all need to come together.

Reactions: Tim
I'd have to say that my favorite is the 00's. My favorite bands are Metallica , Avenged Sevenfold , Rise Against , 3 Doors Down and Linkin Park. All of those but one was started in the 2000's. The only reason Rock isnt as big as i used to be is because of all of the differerent genres. I think that Rock music needs to just all be classed together. No more Emo Rock , Hard Rock , Alternate Rock , etc. They just all need to come together.

I disagree with what you said about rock isn't as big as it used to be. I feel that rock is as big as it has ever been. I prefer there being different genres of rock as some bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Disturbed play 2 completely different styles so it is important to have them in seperate genres as that is what gives bands their identity

What about the 50s and 60s? How can you not include the decades which saw Rock and Roll make its biggest cultural impacts?

I'll assume you're relatively young

My favorite decade is the 80's. Mainly because I love the older GNR music and older Chili Peppers music. Plus to me, that's when rock music was rock music. You didn't have all the "screamer" bands back then like we do now. Don't get me wrong, I like some of the "screamer" bands. Slipknot occasionally but they aren't my favorite.

Well if we'd be talking Metal, I guess I'd vote for the 80ies, with bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Saxon etc... creating a new genre... BUT if we're talking strictly Rock, without a shadow of a doubt, I have to give the nod to the 70ies.

Many of my all-time favorite bands started out or were big in that era, and much of the groundwork was laid for later bands that I also count among my favorites. If I just look back at bands like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Jethro Tull, Aerosmith, AC/DC, KISS, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or Queen - there really is no Rock band today that was not at some point influenced by one of those bands. And they've all turned out some truly awesome pieces of music that have stood the test of time and still are as great today as they were back then. Opposed to that, it really remains to be seen which songs/bands of today will be able to claim that for themselves in due time; I fear that it won't be that many - too much of today's music (also Rock music, unfortunately) just feels too much like a "flavor of the month" to me. But I guess we'll see, heh. In this context, my vote goes to the 70ies

I'd say 70s-80s.
bands like Led Zepplin, AC/DC, Van Halen, Guns N Roses, Cheap Trick, Iron Maiden, Twisted Sister..etc..
they all played with soul and passion for hard rock and had a purpose to their music.
Bands these days hardly have any passion in their music like the 70s-80s did.

I think I'll have to say '90s since that's what I grew up on and what influenced my musical tastes and likes now...

Tommy

I think the greatest decade for music came out of the 60's. It was the most influential music of all times, inspired by the world around them. There was plenty of inspirations to write music in the time. The Counter culture movement, the Vietnam war, the civil rights movement. This is what inspirational music is about. Bands like Zeppelin started in the late 60s. The Rolling Stones, Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin. This is when good music was created.

I'll pick the 70's, and it's not even close after that. Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Skynnard, Ozzy, etc....

All of these bands are the inspiration of all the bands that are popular today. Any list of the top 10 rock songs has 7 songs from the 70's. The 60's had good music, but it was folk rock for the most part, and heavily political. The Rock in the 70's was about sex, drugs, and rock n roll. It was about rebellion, expression, and individualism. No one was trying to start a movement, they were trying to start a party. Too many artists in the 60's were repeating what they heard from hippies, and the message got lost. In the 70's the message was clear, be your own person, do what feels good, and fuck anyone who doesn't like it. For that reason alone, I think that the base of ideas was wider, and the music was more easily differential, and it was all pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back