• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

:lmao:

I guess you're a Reeves fan? I dunno, man. I've seen The Replacements countless times, and for the life of me, I can't laugh at it, even if I really try. Although, I will admit I enjoy Hackman and the commentary with Madden and Summerall. Also, I've always preferred serious Reeves over comedic Reeves more often than not.

Not a Reeves fan per say, though I don't hate him. But a big time Gene Hackman fan, and I thought he was stellar as Jimmy McGinty. I also really enjoy Orlando Jones for some reason. The man makes me laugh and that mixed with the brilliance that is Rhys Ifans makes it incredibly enjoyable for me.

The Replacements is a massive guilty pleasure of mine. The scene where Falco kisses the bar-girl with the football commentary in the background is sooooo incredibly cheesy, yet it never imposes itself as a serious "what-if?" film.

Plus, Jon Favreau channelling Rhino is fucking hilarious.

I've been saying I'm going to watch The Baytown Outlaws for the longest, but I keep forgetting about it. Looks like it could be a fun guilty pleasure. And yeah, I think I saw the 47 Ronin trailer before The Wolverine, and it didn't do anything for me. Speaking of that, I can't remember the last time Keanu Reeves starred in a really good film. The Matrix in 1999? I mean, he had Street Kings and A Scanner Darkly after The Matrix films, but those two aren't enough to outweigh all the shit he's done since then. The Replacements, Hardball, Constantine, The Lake House, and that painfully boring The Day the Earth Stood Still remake.

Outlaws is one of those that if you changed the cast, the whole movie would have been crap. Full o great one-liners and the cast has good chemistry. The characters are just dead on and they stick with you. Hell, one guy is 7 ft and uses a speak and spell to talk.

I agree with Street Kings\Scanner. It has just got to the point where he is a bit of a running joke on himself. Like a living surfer caricature of an action star. I see his face in a trailer and hear him say 'whoa' over and over in my head at random times like he is secretly playing Ted Theodore Logan in all his movies.

Sometimes I think he is just trolling Hollywood because no-one can be that cardboard of an actor all the time.

Yeah, I definitely understand where you're coming from. And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I've never been able to get into Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. I couldn't stand it growing up, and looking at it today, it feels like a horribly outdated comedy.

So I saw Elysium the other night, and I had a good time with it. Not as good as District 9, but still enjoyable. My only real complaint is the unclear choice for the primary antagonist, because it's between the three headed monster of Jodie Foster, Sharlto Copley (who was pretty good by the way), and William Fichtner. Then again....

I guess you could call it a two headed monster, because Fichtner's character is killed off in the early stages of the film.

So there's a rumor going around about the popularity of Sharknado and Shark Week influencing a possible remake for Jaws, that's supposed to hit in 2015. I hope it's just a rumor, because Jaws is on a short list of classics that hasn't been tarnished by an unnecessary remake.

So there's a rumor going around about the popularity of Sharknado and Shark Week influencing a possible remake for Jaws, that's supposed to hit in 2015. I hope it's just a rumor, because Jaws is on a short list of classics that hasn't been tarnished by an unnecessary remake.

Come on Mitch. If it hasn't happened yet, that just means they haven't gotten that desperate yet. It's only a matter of time.

I once heard a rumor of remaking the Indiana Jones movies (though Indiana Jones 5 is already in pre-production). I say they should make him into a revolving character instead. Like James Bond.

Jaws has been rumored to be remade for years now. It's nothing new. As long as they don't continue the rumor of Tracy Morgan playing Matt Hooper, I won't gripe too much. And I'm a massive Jaws, Shark Week, Shark related, etc., person.

Tracy Morgan as Hooper? Fuck that noise.

If the film does get the go ahead, I'll be amazed if Ryan Gosling isn't linked with the role of the shark, seeing as he seems to be linked with every single role on every movie in the pipeline.

What I'd really hate, and could potentially cry over, is if Gore Verbinski was allowed to try and remedy his mistakes with... Well dam near all his films by getting the Jaws gig, with Johnny Depp starring as a sassy helpful dolphin. Or as Hooper who thinks he's a dolphin.

Who knows. But that was the word in 2010. I follow two film franchises closely. Jaws and Jurassic Park. There hasn't been much since Universal shelved Jaws in 2010, which was for the best.

For the record, I've never been a Tracy Morgan fan. I think he's okay or tolerable in little bit parts like he used to do on Martin as Hustle Man. But he's just fucking unbearable in anything above that or main roles. And I know his show on NBC (I think?) only lasted one season, but I thought it sucked.

And yeah, it looks like the remake talk for Jaws is just bullshit. I've been browsing around for more answers, and the website where the rumor came from has only been up for about a week. Just pure fabricated bullshit to drum up hits. That's all.

BUT if a remake actually happens one day, I hope Spielberg will come back in some capacity. Possibly as an executive producer, so he can provide some guidance and keep an eye on things. And let's face it, if a remake actually happens, nothing will be as bad as Jaws 4 - The Revenge, which is probably one of the most pathetic and embarrassing sequels in any franchise.

I once heard a rumor of remaking the Indiana Jones movies (though Indiana Jones 5 is already in pre-production). I say they should make him into a revolving character instead. Like James Bond.

I'm pretty sure they were setting things up for Shia LaBeouf to take the reigns as Indiana Jones in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. In fact, I remember reading stories/reports online about it happening before and after the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull's release date. But LeBeouf had a falling out with Spielberg, and since then, he's vowed to be done with the Hollywood system, so he's staying on the Indie scene to try and polish himself as a more serious actor.

Honestly, a Jaws remake wouldn't be the end all, be all, if it happened. Would I be happy? No. But when it comes to the way Hollywood is these days it wouldn't surprise me. I'm far more intrigued by Meg being made into a film. For those who don't know Meg is a creature feature novel from the 90's about a Megalodon. That would be far more interesting to see and would make more sense coming on the heels of Shark Week and Sharknado.

Who knows. But that was the word in 2010. I follow two film franchises closely. Jaws and Jurassic Park. There hasn't been much since Universal shelved Jaws in 2010, which was for the best.

Forgot to mention, Jurassic Park IV is in production. Current release year is 2015.

Sharknado.

I take it you've seen Sharknado? If so, how was it? I promised myself I would stay away from it, because I hate anything that comes from The Asylum, but the damn thing has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes (granted that's out of ten total counted reviews, but still), and I'll admit I'm somewhat curious.

I'm not so sure Shia Lebouf would make a good Indiana Jones anyways.

Shia was the only highlight in all those shitty Transformers film, and he almost made the second one bearable (I still believe Revenge Of The Fallen is the worst Bay film ever). I'm sure Shia could pull it off, but he'll have a tough time convincing the masses, because people will have a hard time picturing anyone other than Harrison Ford as that character. Ford will always be Indiana Jones in the eyes of so many other people, so whoever steps into that role is probably going to catch a ton of shit from fans and critics.

I take it you've seen Sharknado? If so, how was it? I promised myself I would stay away from it, because I hate anything that comes from The Asylum, but the damn thing has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes (granted that's out of ten total counted reviews, but still), and I'll admit I'm somewhat curious.

Sharknado was so awful it was hilarious. I mean, they don't even hide the fact that it's a stupid movie. They play it up. If you can go into the movie knowing it doesn't take itself one tiny bit seriously, you'll enjoy it a lot more. I mean, some of the things that happen in that movie are just so laughably implausible it's funny. I won't even go into the acting quality. It's SyFy.

Shia was the only highlight in all those shitty Transformers film, and he almost made the second one bearable (I still believe Revenge Of The Fallen is the worst Bay film ever). I'm sure Shia could pull it off, but he'll have a tough time convincing the masses, because people will have a hard time picturing anyone other than Harrison Ford as that character. Ford will always be Indiana Jones in the eyes of so many other people, so whoever steps into that role is probably going to catch a ton of shit from fans and critics.

Well any time you switch something major in something people treasure, there's always people who are going to say it's not the same. The same analogy can be used in sports as to more games in the season meaning stats are less meaningful. I'm sure people complained when they switched from Sean Connery to Roger Moore in the Bond films. Now there's people who will say Roger Moore is the best ever.

Sharknado was so awful it was hilarious. I mean, they don't even hide the fact that it's a stupid movie. They play it up. If you can go into the movie knowing it doesn't take itself one tiny bit seriously, you'll enjoy it a lot more. I mean, some of the things that happen in that movie are just so laughably implausible it's funny. I won't even go into the acting quality. It's SyFy.

Sounds like something I'd be into, so I'll give it a go sometime this week.

They released the director roster for The ABCs Of Death II recently:

Julian Barratt (THE MIGHTY BOOSH)
Todd Rohal (THE CATECHISM CATALYSM)
Steven Kostanski (MANBORG)
Alejandro Brugués (JUAN OF THE DEAD)
Jim Hosking (commercial director)
Hajime Ohata (HENGE)
Chris Nash (SKINFECTIONS)
Álex de la Iglesia (THE LAST CIRCUS, DAY OF THE BEAST)
Rodney Ascher (ROOM 237)
Bill Plympton (Animator)
Erik Matti (ON THE JOB, MAGIC TEMPLE)
Kristina Buozyte and Bruno Samper (VANISHING WAVES)
Sion Sono (COLD FISH, SUICIDE CLUB)
Vincenzo Natali (SPLICE, CUBE)
Larry Fessenden (THE LAST WINTER, HABIT)
Marcus Dunstan (THE COLLECTION)
Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo (INSIDE, LIVID)
E.L. Katz (CHEAP THRILLS)
Jen and Sylvia Soska (AMERICAN MARY, DEAD HOOKER IN A TRUNK)
Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado (RABIES, BIG BAD WOLVES)
Julian Gilbey (A LONELY PLACE TO DIE)
Dennison Ramalho (NINJAS and LOVE FOR MOTHER ONLY)
Lancelot Imasuen (Nollywood director)
Jerome Sable (THE LEGEND OF BEAVER DAM, STAGEFRIGHT)
Robert Morgan (BOBBY YEAH)

As with most horror anthology films, the first one was too inconsistent, but there's always room for improvement. I'll admit, I'm not familiar with every director on this list, but I'm happy to see The Soska Twins get a shot.

Sharknado was pure shit, but really entertaining. If it's on TV I'd say check it out, but don't spend a dime on it.

Sounds like something I'd be into, so I'll give it a go sometime this week.

Sharknado was pure shit, but really entertaining. If it's on TV I'd say check it out, but don't spend a dime on it.

I will admit that, like INDY mentions, I DVR'd it on SyFy when it premiered, so I paid no money to see it. If I hadn't seen it for free, knowing usual SyFy horror movies, I'd probably have never seen it. Though I do find SyFy's awful special effects funny as hell regardless of the movie.

I finished Orange is the New Black yesterday, a superb show. So, I'm starting to make my way through Breaking Bad, I'm one season through all ready. I'm loving it.

I finished Orange is the New Black yesterday, a superb show. So, I'm starting to make my way through Breaking Bad, I'm one season through all ready. I'm loving it.

I just got started on breaking bad too. I saw the pilot a year ago and did not like it but I really liked it this time round.

So I watched Kick-Ass 2 earlier this morning, and I had a good time with it. A few notes

-Mother Russia was awesome

-The all out brawl between the good guys and bad guys at the end was fun to watch, and I loved the twist of Hit Girl tricking Mother Russia into injecting her with the adrenaline, when you were lead to believe the stuff in the syringe was some sort of lethal injection used to put someone out of their misery.

-Jim Carrey's screen time was a lot shorter than I expected, and it kind of sucked, because Colonel Stars & Stripes was one of the more entertaining characters in the movie. Then again, with the subplots of Dave and Mindy being conflicted about who they really want to be in life, The Mother Fucker assembling his army, The Mother Fucker going after Kick-Ass for revenge, and the manhunt for all superheroes going on, I guess they didn't have enough time to squeeze in some more significant material for Carrey's character.

-Mintz-Plasse was actually funny as The Mother Fucker. The scene where him and his goons break into Night Bitch's house was hilarious.

-And wasn't it kind of strange how Todd (or "Ass-Kicker"/the neglected friend of the trio, who was constantly ignored) gave away Dave's identity, was responsible for his father's death, and got away without having to suffer any consequences?

Satisfying sequel, but I'm not shocked to read about the news of it falling short of box office expectations, because it looks like The Butler is going to emerge as the #1 movie this weekend.

Oh, and I finally caught the most recent Ray Donovan.

It looks like James Woods is going to be apart of the cast now! Hopefully, they'll deliver on the face to face standoff between Woods and Voight towards the end of this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back