• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

Also, I watched Trance and The Conjuring this evening. Trance was pretty good with an ending I didn't see coming. The Conjuring was great albeit not very scary. It's a shame that James Wan is stepping away from the horror genre.

From what I remember, I really enjoyed most of The Conjuring. The ending had a few stupid horror movie moments, but I've learned to expect that no matter what. Trance is the psychological thriller with Rosario Dawson and James McAvoy, right? Another film I put on my 2013 must-see list, but I keep forgetting about.

Wan stepping away from horror doesn't surprise me at all, and after Insidious Chapter 2, I can't say I'm too sad to see him go. The director doesn't matter. Fast & Furious 7 will be a smash hit at the box office no matter what, so I'm waiting on Wan's next set of films after that one as a real test for a successful post-horror career.

I vaguely recall hearing of this girl before. After this movie, it'll be hard to forget her. She's insanely hot in it.

How could I forget her, she looks stunning in it. I do find it slightly creepy though since Rodriguez has known her since such a young age...

Yeah, the girl from Spy Kids. I just remember her face from movie posters and the commercials, because I never took the time to watch any of the Spy Kids films.

Yeah, that's the one. Rosario Dawson has a cracking pair, plus I'm always happy to see Vincent Cassel in an English speaking movie; dude is fantastic.

I just caught The International trailer featuring Marion Cotillard, Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner. Looks very good. Any upcoming films you guys are excited about?

I think you're talking about The Immigrant, because I remember seeing the trailer with Cotillard, Phoneix, and Renner, but I forgot the name of the film until now. Could be good, but I'm skeptical about anything with Renner now a days.

Anyway, here's a list of stuff I'm looking forward to:

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty
American Hustle
Escape Plan
Grudge Match
Homefront
Her
Inside Llewyn Davis
The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug
Thor: The Dark World
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
The Dirties
August: Osage County
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones

Going by the trailers, Osage County looks like pure Oscar bait, but the cast is loaded. Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ewan McGregor, Chris Cooper, and Benedict Cumberbatch. That's an A+ lineup.

Although, I'm really worried about The Wolf Of Street. There's no official release date yet, and I read a few reports about Scorsese having to cut down on the runtime, because it's over three hours. On top of that, it's rumored The Wolf Of Wall Street might receive an NC-17 rating, and I can't imagine an NC-17 film making it to theaters.

The Marked Ones is a spin-off/prequel for the Paranormal Activity films. Feels like a desperate move to jump start the franchise, because PA is starting to reach Saw levels of awfulness. And Inside Llewyn Davis is a Coen Bros. film, so it's must-see for me.

I'm kind of glad James Wan is done with horror films. He obviously only used them as a means to get to studio projects, so I commend him for accomplishing that goal. However, based off of his one non-horror film (Death Sentence, which was a huge piece of shit), he'll be crawling back to the genre that made him sooner rather than later. Justin Lin is a much a better filmmaker than Wan, but I will give Wan credit for one thing, and that's for having an amazingly low turnaround time...I'm talking like Steven Spielberg turnaround time.

Anyway, for The Conjuring 2, I'm hoping they seriously take a look at Gareth Evans. His action films are kick-ass, and if you haven't seen V/H/S 2 yet, watch it on netflix ASAP. Once you see the segment Safe Haven, I think you'll agree that this is a man you want to see directing Hollywood horror films.

V/H/S 2 is something I need to see. I remember reading your review of it in the Movie Review thread, but I sidetracked myself with a bunch of other random films. I'm hoping for the best with The Conjuring 2, but it's hard to make a short list of satisfying number twos in horror franchises.

That's another concern I have. They'll milk The Conjuring until a fourth or fifth film (they're already working on an Insidious 3), and then everything will devolve into a mess of shit like Paranormal Activity and Saw, because Hollywood values profit over quality.

Anyway, here's a list of stuff I'm looking forward to:

Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

I know most people disagree with me, but I don't think I've even seen the original Anchorman straight through. It's so unfunny to me. I won't even bother seeing the sequel. There's the occasional thing in the current trailer that is funny. That's about it.

I think Christina Applegate's character in the first one is a real put off for me as well. Really a shame since Kelly Bundy is awesome.

It took a while for the first Anchorman to grow on me, but it did eventually. Will Ferrell's comedy is an acquired taste, and I can't stand most of his films (I hated Semi-Pro and The Campaign). Kelly Bundy is Appelgate's claim to fame. Although, I haven't followed Appelgate's post Married With Children career outside of Anchorman, so I could be missing something.

A trimmed version of The Wolf Of Street is coming out on Christmas Day, because they have to make the cut for Oscar season. But I'm more happy about the official announcement for Trick 'r Treat 2. I'm always uneasy about horror sequels, but Trick 'r Treat is one of the best horror anthologies I've ever seen, so I'll try to keep an open mind.

I think you're talking about The Immigrant, because I remember seeing the trailer with Cotillard, Phoneix, and Renner, but I forgot the name of the film until now. Could be good, but I'm skeptical about anything with Renner now

That's the one, I don't know what I was thinking when I put The International, definitely not the crappy Clive Owen movie. The last part shocks me since I'm a huge fan of Jeremy Renner.

I'm not too excited so many films but the ones I do want to catch are...

Gravity (it's coming out late in UK)
12 Years A Slave
Out Of The Furnance
American Hustle
The Wolf of Wall Street

Possibly the new Coen brothers movie and the two Tom Hanks movies, Captain Phillips and the Walt Disney one.

I'm glad Wolf of Wall Street is getting a 2013 release since it looks phenomenal. The new trailer has me even more excited for it, Jonah Hills teeth look hilarious.

definitely not the crappy Clive Owen movie.

You're talking about Blood Ties. That's the one with Mila Kunis, Zoe Saldana, Marion Cotillard, James Caan, and Billy Crudup in the supporting cast. Yeah, it looks like shit. I haven't seen one announced US release date for it yet (limited theatrical, DVD/Blu-Ray, nothing). Unfortunately, I was exposed to Clive Owen after watching I'll Sleep When I'm Dead (I only took a chance on it, because Ebert gave it a favorable review, three and a half or four stars I think). One of the most boring and dull revenge films I've ever seen. And The International? Terrible.

Gravity is a must-see in 3D, but I thought about skipping it in theaters, until JGlass spoke highly of it. Really looking forward to Out Of The Furnace for the feud between Bale and Harrelson. Casey Affleck is an odd man out for me.

There's only two films I want to see right now and they are A Long Walk to Freedom and As I Lay Dying.

Ooh, I forgot about Long Walk To Freedom. Idris Elba looks good in it but I'm worried that it will be boring.

Not too excited for As I Lay Dying after watching the trailer. I had high hopes for Franco after 127 Hours, but he developed a bad habit of being really streaky (Your Highness is an abomination) over the past couple of years. Far more interested in seeing Franco in Homefrront, because Franco is more enjoyable as a bad guy (Spider-Man 2 & 3) for me. A Long Walk to Freedom looks like a watch at home flick. Wouldn't be surprised if it snagged a bunch of Oscar nominations, but I have zero interest in going to a theater to see it.

Read something about plans for a Sleepaway Camp remake/reboot for another set of films. Hollywood is sinking to new lows of desperation, if this happens. Wouldn't be surprised if they went after The Slumber Party Massacre next.

Just watched Tucker & Dale V Evil, such a good film! The premise of hillbillies being mistaken as killers and either unintentionally causing harm or confusion to the college kids created some great little moments.

There is a hint at a sequel at the very end but I hope that it doesn't come to pass. Definitely worth a watch.

The premise of hillbillies being mistaken as killers and either unintentionally causing harm or confusion to the college kids created some great little moments.

:lmao:

Too true. What's more surprising is Katrina Bowden delivering one of the better performances. Usually Bowden is just a forgettable ditzy blonde. Although, I guess you could you say Tucker & Dale was the perfect set up for Bowden's usual character. Still an awesome horror comedy, though, and Dale as the unlikely hero is just hilarious.

In unrelated Tucker & Dale news, they're releasing Night Of The Demons '88 as a Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack collector's edition next year. Gotta pick it up, because I missed out, when they released Fright Night II '88 on Blu-Ray (only 300 copies or something like that, and of course, the few that are left over are outrageously overpriced on Ebay and Amazon now). Plus, the box cover is just.....amazing.

Night+of+the+Demons+-+Blu-ray+key+art.jpg

It took me so long to realise where I recognised Bowden from (30 Rock) but I pretty much instantaneously recognised Chad as being the posing dick from Final Destination 3.
293744_1253586272483_240_240.jpg

I also watched Identity for the first time last weekend. Ending was a bit weak but it was one of those films where you forget how enjoyable John Cusack and Ray Liotta can be to watch until they turn up in a decade-old thriller. C'est la vie.

Oh and that cover is amazing.

The spoiler tag won't show for some reason, but I know the pose:

5683250_ori.jpg

Main reason why I enjoy Final Detestation 3 is the "Choose Their Fate" interactive feature on the DVD. In certain parts, you get to choose you how the survivors of the roller coaster die, or how they survive. Oh, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in the leading role. That's another plus.

I have Identity on DVD, but after watching it one time, the Shutter Island problem kicks in. You already know the entire movie is building towards this big shocking twist at the end, so once they pull the rug out from underneath you after the first time, there's no shock factor during the big reveal, and the ride to the end feels tedious.

Still, a much better film than most of Cusack's more recent garbage (The Contract, 2012, The Parerboy, etc.)

As I Lay Dying is one of my favorite novels so I'm just really curios to see how Franco adapts it. The book isn't the easiest to translate from novel to script. So, that just intrigues me.

Sleepaway Camp is such a classic. I'm honestly upset that it is being remade. Not surprised at all, but not happy about it.

Wouldn't be surprised if they limited the Sleepaway Camp remake to a straight-to-video and/or very, VERY limited theatrical run. I love Sleepaway Camp, but when you compare legacies, it's no Halloween or Friday The 13th, more of a cult film than anything. They did the same thing with the Silent Night, Deadly Night remake last year. Wasn't half bad, but you also have turds like the recent hybrid/remake/spin-off Fright Night 2: New Blood.

For what it's worth, I've always thought III (or Teenage Wasteland) was unfairly shit on by Sleepaway Camp fans. Wasteland features the most creative and brutal deaths in the series, and I always get a kick out of the approach to turn Angela into this exterminator, who eliminates scumbags. Well, at least until the end, when Angela becomes the unhinged psychopath again.

As I Lay Dying is one of my favorite novels so I'm just really curios to see how Franco adapts it. The book isn't the easiest to translate from novel to script. So, that just intrigues me.

Sleepaway Camp is such a classic. I'm honestly upset that it is being remade. Not surprised at all, but not happy about it.

Mad props to you for being able to read a William Faulkner novel. For the life of me I have never been able to finish one (same thing goes for Joseph Conrad whose books are short but seem long as shit).

I have Identity on DVD, but after watching it one time, the Shutter Island problem kicks in. You already know the entire movie is building towards this big shocking twist at the end, so once they pull the rug out from underneath you after the first time, there's no shock factor during the big reveal, and the ride to the end feels tedious.

The Game. Awesome movie, but once you know how it ends, watching it again leaves no suspense whatsoever. Though it's been a long enough time at this point I would probably enjoy seeing it again.

Daron Acemoğlu;4666159 said:
Mad props to you for being able to read a William Faulkner novel. For the life of me I have never been able to finish one (same thing goes for Joseph Conrad whose books are short but seem long as shit).

It wasn't easy. But it struck home for some reason.

The Game. Awesome movie, but once you know how it ends, watching it again leaves no suspense whatsoever. Though it's been a long enough time at this point I would probably enjoy seeing it again.

True, but I never get tired of The Game, because Douglas and Penn are so fun to watch. Plus, The Game is one of my favorite David Fincher films. The scene where Douglas and Christine (I forget the name of the actress) arrive at the hospital, and everyone disappears at once? Creepy, creepy stuff.

I read a report about Lionsgate "actively" developing Saw 8, and the rumors are Lionsgate is targeting a Halloween 2014 release date. Yeah, 90% of the time, I'm in the group of people, who bitch and moan about remakes and reboots (especially for horror), but for the love of god Saw needs a reboot. Dr. Gordon is a more promising apprentice than Hoffman, but I have no interest in watching antoher Saw film that's 50% flashbacks of Jigsaw, Amanda, and Jill, and the other 50% is a convoluted and nonsensical story.

My worry of a reboot is that certain traps will end up being rehashed, but I guess you could say the same for a sequel. I don't have high expectations for either though.

I lost all interest in the Saw franchise after the 3rd film. That said, Dr. Gordon was a fantastic re-addition. I would be more prone to watch a new film if it centered on his story.

Saw was okay until III. After that, everything devolved into a pile of trash. Four was a clustered mess, five was unbearably boring, and six tried to throw in some social commentary about problems with the US health care system, but the preachy stuff was too much for me.

Seven was underdeveloped, rushed, and outside of Betsy Russell, the acting was shit. That's why I couldn't stand the tedious habit of a Saw film year after year, because they sacrificed quality for the sake of churning out a new Saw film for late October release dates, and bragging rights for being the must-see Halloween film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back