• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Mike & Mitch's Magical Movie Madness (and some TV shows)

I watched Don Jon tonight. I liked it but I wouldn't really call it good. Scarlett Johansson is hot as fuck in it though.

How's Joesph Gordon Levitt?

I thought about watching Don Jon in theaters, but the trailers and TV spots gave me the impression I could wait for it at home.

Finally cracked the seal on my Carrie 3 pack DVD I bought a while ago. The original is still great, but The Rage Carrie 2 is atrocious in every way imaginable. I haven't seen 2 in years, so I forgot how awful it was. Going to see the 2013 remake tomorrow, and I guess I'll watch the 2002 made for TV remake tonight.

And the director for the new Terminator film wants Tom Hardy as John Connor. If they're giving us war-torn John Connor (Bale in Salvation), then Hardy is a great choice. But if they're going with a conflicted and troubled John Connor, who's not ready yet (Furlong and Dekker), I can't see that working out.

So who's seen 12 Years A Slave?

Likely the same crowd that tuned in for Roots and a few white folks who say they are sympathetic to their past struggles, but ultimately could care less when their black co-workers are not around.

With Thor and Ender's Game taking up so many screens and the new Hunger Games film coming out next week, I'll have to get to 12 Years A Slave sometime this week before it's gone for good, or I forget about it. I guess I'll have to pass on Bad Grandpa and The Counselor for Escape Plan. Can't miss out on the chance of popping a nostalgia boner for Stallone and Arnie.

With Thor and Ender's Game taking up so many screens and the new Hunger Games film coming out next week, I'll have to get to 12 Years A Slave sometime this week before it's gone for good, or I forget about it. I guess I'll have to pass on Bad Grandpa and The Counselor for Escape Plan. Can't miss out on the chance of popping a nostalgia boner for Stallone and Arnie.

Ender's Game wasnt as good as I had hoped. Maybe it was the blaring awesome sounds coming from Thor being played next door that had me distracted. I feel I bought the wrong ticket in that scenario. All in all, ok but not great which is the issue when pretty good books are turned into movies after a hefty wait.

a few white folks who say they are sympathetic to their past struggles
Least sympathetic white guy in the world right here.

You don't know me!

You can skip The Counselor.

Escape Plan was exactly what I was looking for though. Real crowd pleaser.

Ender's Game wasnt as good as I had hoped. Maybe it was the blaring awesome sounds coming from Thor being played next door that had me distracted. I feel I bought the wrong ticket in that scenario. All in all, ok but not great which is the issue when pretty good books are turned into movies after a hefty wait.

Was in a similar scenario with watching Evil Dead (although, I really enjoyed Evil Dead) this year. You could hear the thumping on the walls from Jurassic Park (the 3D re-release) in the next theater.

As far as Ender's Game goes, I get the point of putting so much focus on the kid, who's playing Ender, but if the trailers are sign of things to come, then Harrison Ford is an afterthought. I'm skeptical about the approach of sacrificing screen time for a kid over a seasoned veteran, especially in sci-fi adventure flicks. Kind of paranoid after I witnessed the same formula fail miserably in After Earth with Will Smith and his kid.

You can skip The Counselor.

My interest in The Counselor slowly faded away, as they showed more footage in the bland TV spots and trailers. Cameron Diaz crawling on sports car at night is a slight exception, but that's not enough.

Least sympathetic white guy in the world right here.

You don't know me!

I naturally just assumed you were one of the people that were watching Roots, eating Jiffy Pop and drinking Tab the night it aired on TV. My bad.

My interest in The Counselor slowly faded away, as they showed more footage in the bland TV spots and trailers. Cameron Diaz crawling on sports car at night is a slight exception, but that's not enough.
I can't tell if you're joking or not, but that's easily the best scene in the movie.

So who's seen 12 Years A Slave?

I saw it last week. Excellent film, man. Steve McQueen is a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, this film is going to be piss me off come awards season for two reasons, both having to do with Chiwetel Ejiofor:

1) He doesn't give the best performance in the film: Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o both upstage him in every scene they're in.

2) His performance is not as good as the one given by Robert Redford in All Is Lost: if you haven't seen this one yet, see it ASAP.

It saddens me that Redford will almost surely not beat Ejiofor for the Best Actor Oscar and that both Fassbender and Nyong'o will lose out to people for less deserving. This is why I fucking hate the politics behind AMPAS. Lesser awards like Best Supporting Actor and Actress are treated like lifetime achievement awards (for the most part) and films that deal with racially-sensitive issues are always given a premium in voting.

How's Joesph Gordon Levitt?

He's good, but Scarlett Johansson is the real star. She's really, really good in it.

12 Years A Slave is a must watch but unfortunately it won't hit screens till early January unless I find a less than legal way to watch it. I'm hoping Steve McQueen gets an Oscar nomination for directing since he's exceptionally talented.

Picked up new (and cheap) DVDs for The Midnight Meat Train and Hell Night. Good day for movie hunting.

But I need to take a break from coming of age comedies after watching The To Do List today. Funny stuff for the most part, but I'm beyond burnt out on the reoccurring story featuring a teenage nerd trying to break out of their shell. Feels like I've seen the same film at least thirty times over the past couple of years.

Is that the one with Aubrey Plaza? If so, I'm glad you said it's funny since I'm a huge fan of her and definitely want to check it out.

Yep. Plaza is hilarious (butter and a movie theater, you'll know what I'm talking about, when you see it), and without her, The To Do List could've been worse. That, and the constant need to abuse 90's nostalgia annoyed me a little bit.

.......or the .....who am I kidding. Nothing tops the Caddyshack scene. Well, the scene with Brandy (Plaza) and Christopher Mintz-Plasse's character (I already forgot the name) comes close. And I'll give a nod to the conclusion of the shower scene with Andy Samberg.

Ah, you guys have got me itching to watch it. I'll probably catch it this weekend.

Anybody watch the first two episodes of Almost Human?

That's the show with Karl Urban and Michael Ealy about futuristic android cops, right? I completely forgot about it, until you mentioned it. I suppose I'll give it a try next week, but I'm always skeptical about most of the new shows on FOX. I lost all interest in Sleepy Hollow after four episodes, because it was so ridiculous, and the novelty of Ichabod Crane adjusting to the modern world for a few cheap laughs wore off after the second episode for me.

Yeah, that's the one. I caught pilot and I really enjoyed it. Karl Urban is solid as always and the chemistry between the two is good. I can imagine it going downhill but I definitely plan on catching the rest of the episodes.

Mitch, I'm fairly certain you saw VHS, but did you see VHS2? Got it on just now and the second story just made me laugh so much as they recreated the vomiting joke from Team America.

Haven't seen V/H/S 2 yet, because I'm always forgetting about it. Have plans top get to it before the year is out. V/H/S was too uneven, and on a second watch, I realized I only enjoyed two shorts (the one with the succubus chick at the beginning and the final short, where the teens accidentally stumble into a cult meeting/exorcism).

Still, when comparing recent horror anthologies that featured a cool concept, but shitty execution and inconsistency ruined everything, V/H/S was much better than The ABCs Of Death.

Oh, and I put in 300 again earlier today, and I just noticed Michael Fassbender has a part as a soldier. I've probably seen 300 four or five times, and this is the first time I caught Fassbender. Strange.

Haha yeh I didn't recognise him properly until the 3rd or 4th watch. Same thing with his and Tom Hardy's appearances in Band of Brothers.

VHS2 had some ok moments but ended up just being quite funny rather than scary. They mention 'other collectors' at one point so I want the series to eventually unveil the person who has put the various stories on the tapes.

It was his first film role wasn't it?

I've watched the first V/H/S, but I don't remember much about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back