Michael Cole- "Triple H is a legend". Does that sound right?

Undercurrent

Occasional Pre-Show
During Triple H's match against Cody Rhodes, Michael Cole referred to Trips as a legend. There is no denying that Triple H has accomplished a great deal during his tenure with the WWE but that statement didn't sound right what so ever. I am putting my personal bias aside as yes I have never been a fan of one Triple H, but have also respected his work for what it's worth.

Question

Is Triple H a legend?

Yes he a main eventer, a multi time world champion and one of the most recognizable figures within the wrestling industry today but despite this, I just can't label him as a legend. Undertaker? Shawn Michaels? Absolutely....but not Triple H. The strategy behind Triple H was to pair him with any wrestler who brought out the best in him such as Mick Foley, The Rock, Steve Austin, Michaels, but I've always felt Triple H has rarely brought the best out in his opponent. Whoever was hot at the time, Triple H got paired with to give him the rub. He's a talented wrestler but feel he is not "legend" material.

Thoughts?

I respect HHH and what he has done for the business but I wouldnt put him on that plateau as of yet. In a couple of years I would probably say the opposite but the points you have made are valid. In order for him to reach legend status he has to put over more young stars and help mold the future of the business. All this was, was Vince trying to stamp a name on H, being that he is getting older and will not be around forever. He is well on his way to being a legend with the young stars he has put over in the last year or so, however he still has more to go. Maybe by SummerSlam 2010 i will have changed my mind.

Reactions: TLC
Triple H is very good at carrying a match and making someone look good. His match tonight against Jack Swagger (Not Rhodes as you said) was a perfect example of that and he does it often.

One of the more famous examples is the Shelton Benjamin win over Triple H many tears back after Benjamin had been drafted to Raw. That win carried Benjamin for months.

A lot of people seem to have this underlying hatred for Triple H, maybe due to his relationship with Vince but he is very deserving of his spot and, sure he may get a slight rub of the green every now and then but even without Vince in his corner, he'd still be up there. He is a legend. In his own right. Just because he has had matches with The Rock or Stone Cold or Kurt Angle doesn't mean that it was them that made it good. Triple H was a great heel to all three of the above (and occasionally face) not everyone can be that flexible with their character. I feel he is worthy of that status.

Based on years alone Triple H is a legend , I don't understand why you don't consider him a legend , he is great and recognizable as you said and on top of that he pushes young talent more than a lot of guys in the WWE today do.

Guys Triple H has made big:

Jeff Hardy
Batista
Randy Orton
Chris Benoit (tapped out to him several times and tried to get him over with the crowd)
Eugene (do I really need to say anything else)
Sheamus
etc...

Not only that he has main evented several WrestleManias and has many accomplishments , I think the only reason why you don't consider him a Legend is because Undertaker and HBK are two older legends, which takes away from Triple H's "legend title" , what I mean is seeing as how Undertaker and HBK have longer careers than Triple H , it makes it seem as if Triple H needs to stay in the business for as long as they do but the truth is once HBK and Undertaker retire, Triple H will be the biggest legend currently active in the WWE.

Another common reason to why people don't consider him a legend is because they think he only reached to the top by banging Stephanie , well that is incorrect as well , Triple H dated Chyna from 1996- 2000 and has many accomplshiments throughout those years and only married Stephanie in 2003 , that should be taken under consideration.

Lastly, The Rock and Triple H brought the best out of each other and as for the other guys you mentioned, yes they gave him a push but Triple H re payed the favor by pushing today's talent and will one day become a Hall of Famer.

Triple H is the most reconizeable figure in WWE. Some would say he is the face of WWE. Even tho hes accomplished a great deal within WWE, I don't feel he is a legend right now. Legends consist of Flair, Taker, HBK, Stone Cold Steve Austin. HHH will eventually be inducted into the WWE HOF no doubt about that at all, Shawn should have already been inducted.

Like some one said before Triple H was fighting Jack Swagger(not Cody Rhodes) you people seriously need to pay more attention and get your facts together before starting threads about Triple H. Now he is a legend and you are just mad! He has been through countless matches against younger superstars and made them look damn good. He has earned his spot at the top with the rest of them. This is why he is The Game, The King of Kings, and The Cerebral Assassin. Now he is helping the young ones like sheamus make a name for himself. I wish people stop hating on Triple H because he is at the top and that is where he is going to stay!

Triple H a legend? lol. Why is that word tossed around so loosely? What kind of an impact did Triple H have on the WWE that puts him in the same record books as Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, The Rock and many others? I can't figure out a single distinctive factor that gives him legendary status. Hell, I can't even remember anything he did that was 'wow' material. I do remember him wrestling Cactus Jack at Royal Rumble 2000 and that was great, but it was due to Mick Foley selling all those hardcore bumps. Triple H without his long resume of World Championships is very generic like Nitron back in the WCW circa 1990. He doesn't have remarkable mic skills that could put him in his own respective spot, he has a similar build to Lex Luger except less roided, he can sell moves decently, and he has a double-arm underhook facebuster for a finisher. What's so special about him? There isn't anything he's done to change or elevate the business as far as I can tell. He's shown passion by returning from quad injuries, but really, lots of non-legends have returned from injuries. It's what you need in order to sustain a main event wrestling career or a successful wrestling career period.

Absolutely. If he retired right now he'd be remembered as a legend. I don't care how much of what he's done is down to his great deal of personal talent or whether it's because his father in law feels a need to keep him in the limelight out of loyalty to his daughter, the point is all of wrestling is scripted and the concept of a legend is a little bit warped. Part of a legend's mystique is the angles they are handed to play and another part is how well they play those that they are given.

Ignoring the why's for a second, look at the what's in Triple H's career. Championship after championship, main event after main event, major feud after major feud, swerve after swerve. For better or for worse he has been utterly synthetic with the WWE for a decade. He's had two major quad injuries but besides that he's never strayed far from the biggest stories in the WWE. He was at the center of DX, The McMahon-Helmsley Regime, Evolution and DX again. He's had BIG money feuds with Austin, Rock, Foley, Angle, Shawn Michaels, Randy Orton and John Cena. He's been in hell in a cells, elimination chambers, a 60-minute Iron-Man match, won King of the Ring and countless lesser tournaments, the Royal Rumble, he's been a face and a heel. I could go on for a lot longer than this.

As far as the fictional what's, he's almost over-qualified, but now looking at how well he's done all of this. When Triple H was handed the World Heavyweight Title by Eric Bischoff it began what many call Raw's darkest hour. Giving him the belt was an open admission that they valued him above every other wrestler on the Raw roster, but for fairly good reason. He has been the most consistently good heel the company has had leading into and since the turn of the millennium. Regardless of what people think of how he achieved his position, nobody can deny he is one hell of a talker, has an undeniable heel presence, and is pretty damn good in the ring. I won't say he's the best, but he's as good as many others of his status. He's never looked out of his depth. He has earned both the adoration and the hatred of the fans in his time and very few have truly managed that. He was a heel who never got smattered face pops and he's a face who doesn't get booed. Sure the IWC hates him, but as we all know, we don't mean a whole lot, do we?

And finally, seemingly every legend needs to make people talk about them. People debate the rankings of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ric Flair, Steve Austin, The Undertaker and countless others against each other. People are willing to downplay the merits of one in comparison to the other and forget how damn good they are to enter that discussion. Nobody can deny that Triple H is one of the most talked about wrestlers to ever lace them up. Sure, a lot of that talk is "HHH married his way to the top", but talk is talk, and something only has substance if you give it air-time, and we've given him a lifetime of it already. The sheer fact he polarizes so many people and draws such passionate opinions about him gives him legend status to me.

Triple H will never be short of something to do on a WWE broadcast, never without a major story to take part in, and he'll never be buried or put in the doghouse. His status as son-in-law cements that. But I also don't think he would have been put in such a lofty position without the required talent. He was rising to the top of the company before he got with Stephanie unless some people know things the rest of us don't. Take Stephanie away and I think he would have still gotten there and done 75% of what he has done. He has the look, he can wrestle, he can talk, that triple threat puts anyone at the top of the card.

Has he had a questionable physique at times? Sure, but look at Hulk Hogan. Triple H has been clean for quite a while, and when he returned from that second quad injury he was leaner but he was also cut the f**k up.

Has he been involved in some abysmal angles? Yes, Katie Vick was despicable, and we could have probably done without seeing him go over seemingly every former WCW employee in the span of six months. But not everything Hogan, Flair, Austin and Rock were involved in was wrestling gold. The only difference is we didn't have that convenient excuse to go to when they were in awful angles. People complain that he has held wrestlers down such as Jericho (who gets special treatment and gets to pick his feuds), RVD (who was never going to be a consistent main event draw) and Booker T (ditto), but then they complain when he uses his power to put the title on some new blood. The guy cannot win. People need to stop resenting him for where he is.

Triple H is a legend in this industry.

Yes, Triple H is a legend because he's has longevity and he's one of the people the young guys apparently go to for advice. Sure, it seems being married to the boss's daughter has had some benefits, but he was over long before that.

On a side note: Eugene? Really? I don't think Triple H ever made him big. I recall SummerSlam 2004 (I was there) and the crowd was extremely hostile to Eugene... then he just diappeared off the face of the earth.

Yes, Triple H is a legend because he's has longevity and he's one of the people the young guys apparently go to for advice. Sure, it seems being married to the boss's daughter has had some benefits, but he was over long before that.

On a side note: Eugene? Really? I don't think Triple H ever made him big. I recall SummerSlam 2004 (I was there) and the crowd was extremely hostile to Eugene... then he just diappeared off the face of the earth.

Think about it Triple H in 2004 was nine time world champion and Eugene was a ******, Triple H let Randy Orton main event SummerSlam while he faced a ******. Eugene was never big but his feud with Triple H was in fact his biggest feud and Triple H did in fact push Eugene (as far as anyone would have).

Triple H is a legend.whether you like him or not, he made stars and re paid the stars that made him and he is the 3rd biggest legend in the WWE today.

Calling a wrestler a legend is strictly a matter of opinion and, with that said, the criteria for a wrestler even being called a legend will be different for each of us.

Do I think that HHH is a legend? I don't know. I think he's easily a Hall of Famer. He's won enough titles and headlined enough shows but at the same time, I don't think he's enough memorable matches for me, that are in my mind synonymous with the legends of wrestling.

Is HHH a legend? Yes. Why? This guy started in the WWF/E skinny as a toothpick. Now look at him. He is built like a ton of bricks and didn't use any drugs to get that way.

Just look at the epic matches, fueds he was involved in

The Rock
Stone Cold
Mick Foley
Y2J
Angle
Benoit
Orton
Cena
HBK
Batista
Nash
Goldberg
Flair

What the titles he has won.

4x I.C champion
2x Euro champion
2x WWE tag champion (with HBK & Stone Cold)
13x WHC/WWE champion

also won Royal Rumble 2002 & KOTR 1997. Thats was just the beginning. Leader of DX, Evolution, Helmsly-McMahon Faction. Main Evented Wrestlemanias 16,18,19,20,21,22,24,& 25. The first ever heel to walk out of WM still holding the WWE title.

Now thats a impressive resume. HELL! HHH is a legend love him or hate him. He went from a blue blooded snob to the King of Kings.

This is the kind of thread I save for the “especially hateful”, those who spew garbage and make blind hateful remarks that they can't back up. The kind of person like the one below I am about to answer to. They go on and talk a bunch of shit, but do so before thinking about what they are saying. As I will point out through this retort, this argument was poorly thought out, invalid in almost every way, and spoken out of spite for those who would say otherwise. This is the kind of stuff that really gets me heated, and makes me want to flame someone until their computer monitor explodes. But, I wont. I can't. I am above that, and I don't need to go to that level to make my points. So without further a due I give you....The Game Rage on Triple H's Legend Status.

Triple H a legend? lol. Why is that word tossed around so loosely? What kind of an impact did Triple H have on the WWE that puts him in the same record books as Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, Shawn Michaels, The Rock and many others?

That impact you are asking about is a little thing called “The Attitude Era”. Now I don't know how old you are but you might not have been around to even see that, you may have been too little to remember it well, or you may not remember it as clearly as you think you do. Triple H was the man, all through the Attitude Era. He was one of the few individuals who was at the top then, that can say they really did drive that era, and help to keep the WWE from going under during that time. That list consists of Stone Cold, The Rock, Mick Foley, The Undertaker, and Triple H. Those are the men responsible for the success of the WWE from 1997-2002 when WWE purchased WCW ending the Monday Night Wars.

Do you even remember what he did during that time? Do you think I am going to let you go without finding out? Let's just start at 1997, he had already been Intercontinental Champion while the belt still meant something, and was apart of one of the most controversial incidents that ended up changing wrestling all together, the “Madison Square Garden Curtain Call”, but let's not get too deep into all that, we can start at 97'.

So for starters in 1997 incase you forgot, Triple H won the King of the Ring tournament, formed Degeneration-X with Shawn Michaels, and began the phenomenon that would change the way promos were cut, push the envelope of what was acceptable on television to it's limits, and begin the phrase that is being shouted at WWE events to this day “Suck It”. Not a bad year if you ask me.

Then when we move on to 98' not only did Triple H win the European title, but after doing so took over D-X after Shawn was forced to leave reforming the group with X-Pac, and taking over the role as leader of D-X. I don't know how you could over look any of this as significant to wrestling history or the career of Triple H. Just from the start of my response it is clear even then that this guy was on his way to being a true legend. It's not like a bunch of people get to form stables that end up being as big as D-X, or like people just get honors the likes of which Triple H has. When you are good your good, when you've got “It” you've just got “It” and he has had “It” for years and continues to. From there he went on to feud with The Rock over the Intercontinental title while it still meant something, winning that feud in a ladder match at that years Summer Slam. On to 99.

In 99' Triple H fought for the WWF Championship for the first time in an “I Quit” match with The Rock, and later joined The Corporation. This was about the time when Triple H began to evolve in to the Triple H we have now, and when he really began to take off. He went on to fight for the WWF Championship again that year at Summer Slam, and went on to win his first WWF Championship the next night on Raw. He then lost and regained the title again that year at Unforgiven, went on to defend the title against Stone Cold at No Mercy before dropping the title to Big Show at Survivor Series.

The next part is where it gets really good. After all of that, which was enough on it's own to call him a significant figure in wrestlings storied history, Triple H went on to have one of the most memorable and well done feuds in WWF/E history while feuding with McMahon. It was during this time that he married Stephanie McMahon(Kayfabe) and started the McMahon-Helmsly Era. That alone should be enough to cement this guys status, he has his own actual era in wrestling. Not too many can say that.

2000-2001 was really his time as he moved completely into “The Game” character. He started in January by winning another WWF Championship and avenging his loss to Big Show, Had a memorable feud with Mick Foley ending in a HIAC at No Way Out ending Foley's career for the time being. Then he had another great feud with The Rock going on to defeat him at Wrestlemania of all places to retain his title, he lost it to The Rock a month later at Backlash, and won it back again at Judgment Day a few weeks later in an Iron Man Match, and lost it again at King of the Ring Then he goes into a feud with Jericho that ended in a Last Man Standing Match, and on to one of his best feuds ever with Stone Cold.

That feud went all the way into 2001 and ended with Triple H beating Austin in a Three Stages of Hell match. After getting the best of Stone Cold, Triple H feuded with The Undertaker all the way to Wrestlemania where of course he lost. However, the next night Triple H joined forces with Stone Cold to make the tag team “Two-Man Power Trip” which was an awesome storyline as well. He won another Intercontinental title after that in April, and a fourth time two weeks later from Jeff Hardy, then became WWF Tag Team Champion with Stone Cold. Unfortunately that never got to play out as Triple H would tear his left quadriceps for the first time a month later, causing him to miss the entire “Invasion” angle.

So there's a little history lesson for you. I could keep going into the Evolution days, and into now, but I don't need to. From just that portion of his career Triple H has earned Legend status. If it were someone else who did those things, most people would agree. But, because it is Triple H, and he supposedly is only successful because of his marriage and a million other lame rumor accusations people will say differently to the grave. If that had been Scott Hall doing those things, he would be honored as a legend without argument. That was just the Attitude Era man, and he has done even more since then. What can you say to that? Nothing, it's all true and it is all apart of the legacy of a man that will go down as one of the greatest of all time, Triple H.

I can't figure out a single distinctive factor that gives him legendary status. Hell, I can't even remember anything he did that was 'wow' material.

I guess that answers my question from earlier. Obviously you missed somewhere in the neighborhood of the last decade and then some. He has had so many great matches it is ridiculous, he has been in every main event style match there is practically and won in almost all of them too. His matches with Shawn Michaels were classics, his matches with The Rock are of legend, as are his matches with Stone Cold and Mick Foley. Why? Not because they carried him and they were the best. It's because those few guys were the best, all of them. They all did what they did better than anyone else at that time, and a few of them continue to do that today, more prominently than anyone Triple H.

Triple H without his long resume of World Championships is very generic like Nitron back in the WCW circa 1990.

How so? In what way? I am trying to figure out where you conjured op such a poorly explained and thought out idea. Triple H was one of the most original characters EVER. That is another way he actually helped revolutionize the business. He was one of the first guys to have a gimmck that wasn't as much of a gimmick as it was the real person “With the volume turned way up” as they say it. He was one of the first people to make that kind of gimmick work, him and Stone Cold. His closer to reality approach with Shawn Michaels and D-X also bent the rules of kayfabe, and broke them. They along with the guys at WCW changed everything from what it was before to what it is now.

Triple H though is also the mainstay of all of those guys. Nash, Hall, Hogan, The Rock, Foley, Austin, have all either left the business for long periods of time, none of them have been as consistent and hard working as Triple H from the beginning. Nash has been giving TNA all he has but is spent, Hall has been drunk and on drugs, Hogan has been doing whatever Hogan wants to do, The Rock abandoned the business, Foley is still around even though he should have retired a few years ago, and Austin can't wrestle because of injuries he's sustained. Triple H on the other hand has come back from two injuries that would have ended the careers of lesser men, and aside from that not missed a beat. He has stayed with the company, stayed relevant and at the top of his game, been able to stay in the title picture and win an impressive 13 titles, helped put over new talent, done everything they have asked of him, and show he is a true leader in all aspects of the business.

He doesn't have remarkable mic skills that could put him in his own respective spot, he has a similar build to Lex Luger except less roided, he can sell moves decently, and he has a double-arm underhook facebuster for a finisher. What's so special about him?

First of all, your high! Triple H has been a maestro of the mic since his early days in D-X. He constantly cuts great promos, he can project and display all his emotions very well visually and verbally, and always gets his point across. How is that bad? He has been one of the best in the company for years and years. He is one of the only guys who can shift gears mid promo too. It has been show even as of recent in some of the skits with him and Shawn, he will go from funny and happy go lucky to serious and focused. Not everyone can do that, as a matter of fact very few can do that. He is frankly in a league of his own, or at least at the very very top with a select few other superstars.

His look is perfect too. If you were going to be a great heavyweight that is what you would want to look like. He has a classic professional wrestling build(or what is now a classic pro-wrestling build). The guy has been into bodybuilding for years and worked very hard to get the look he has, I don't know how you could even compare that to the juiced up physique of Lex Luger, they look nothing alike. There is no way you can even justify comparing the two, they are worlds apart. He has managed to stay fit, healthy, and active all this time while all of the other guys from the Attitude Era with the exception of Kane, Undertaker, and Shawn Michaels have wilted and faded into obscurity, and even died. He looks better than Take and Michaels by far, and all of them are showing their age rapidly catching up to them in the ring except Triple H, he is still as good as he has ever been.

There isn't anything he's done to change or elevate the business as far as I can tell.

And from what we can tell you have no idea what you are talking about. While all the others have come and gone, while different flavors of the month have had their time and past, Triple H has stayed at the top through it all. That in and of itself is historic. As I explained earlier Triple H has been one of the driving forces behind the elevation and changes the business has gone through. From the original D-X to Evolution, to 13 title reigns, to monumental feuds, to the current D-X, Triple H has done it all. He has helped mold and industry, and helped a company form it's identity. There is no argument you can make against any of that, no argument you could put together to dispute what he has done for the business. Just because you are not educated enough about the business to know, does not mean that he is anythnig less than a Legend.

He's shown passion by returning from quad injuries, but really, lots of non-legends have returned from injuries. It's what you need in order to sustain a main event wrestling career or a successful wrestling career period.

So you just basically said he has shown he has what it takes to be successful in wrestling, but tried to tear down everything he has done in wrestling like it was all nothing, and then try to play down his returns from career ending injury? It's looks to me like you've contradicted yourself. I bet there are few if any legends who have come back from 2 quad injuries, or 1, or anything much worse. Come to think of it Shawn Michaels,Psycho Sid and Edge are the only wrestlers I can think of off the top of my head who have come back from injuries as serious as his. That should tell you something right there, that this guy is a one of a kind. You are never going to get another Triple H, it just won't happen, you can't replace a guy like him. He is and always will be a Legend. He earned the credentials a long time ago, and when he retires will probably be argued to be the best ever by many. You can not take anything away from him, his accomplishments, or his ability in any facet of the business. He is without question one of the elite of all time, and now you know that.

The above poster hit a lot of it on the head. Anyone who doesn't think Triple H is a legend is just jealous of his status as VKM's son-in-law. As if he wouldn't be "that good" if he didn't marry into the family. I'm fairly tired of people mixing up facts and forgetting that the guy was already a World Champion before the angle of him being married to Stephanie began ... an angle that is widely reported as the beginning of their off-screen relationship.

But to hell with it - some people just hate him to hate him.

They ask who he has ever put over... as if his career has existed in some bubble where he has been so dominant that no one has ever gotten the rub from Triple H.

Here are a few names:

The Rock - Easily the biggest feud of Triple H's career. The two put each other on the map, first vying for the IC Title as mid-carders and then battling for the World Title as main eventers. The feud lasted years ...

John Cena - Cena has already been a World Champion for the better part of a year, but he truly legitimized his title run with a World Title victory over HHH at Wrestle Mania 22.

Randy Orton - Evolution, anyone? Orton still feeds off the rub he received when HHH turned on him. It "fuels" his character.

Batista - He was well on his way as a member of Evolution, but it was HHH's shoulders pinned to the mat when Batista won his first World Title.

Kurt Angle - The whole storyline with Angle falling in love with Stephanie is what truly put the Olympic Gold medalist on the map. The feud with Triple H cemented his place.

...Now ask yourself this ... Who did Austin ever put over?

The Rock? That guy was already over before Austin pinned him for the title.

Foley? A series of matches with the UT put the Mankind character on the map, but it was the program with The Rock that cemented Foley's legacy in wrestling lore.

The only other feuds Austin had during his World Title runs were with The UT, Kane, Triple H, and Kurt Angle.

UT and Kane were already main event stars by the time they challenged Austin .

Austin refused to do a job for Triple H, to put him over for the title at Summer Slam '99... That's why Triple H won his first World Title on Monday Night Raw from Mick Foley.

So ... if legends are made by putting people over ... then Triple H is 10 x's the legend Austin was.

I think Austin and HHH are two different characters and they tailor to two different "needs"" in the crowd. Austin fed the feelings people had at most Blue Collar jobs they worked at. So in that, they could relate to his character and they could say, "yeah, I've wanted to kick my boss in the butt before!"

With HHH, you had him coming out of the Test and Stephanie thing as the clear winner (he DID marry her). But being the son-in-law of VKM is hardly anything people can relate to. They can't really see themselves in HHH's character. That's not a bad thing because he has a huge following and I count myself as one of them. But it was his ability to feud, when he was a heel, with the crowds favorite and actually make the person watching the feud on TV, or in person, really hate him and want to whip his butt themselves. I kind of have that feeling with Sheamus right now. What right does he have, a newbie in the WWE basically, to be walking around the WWE Champion and talking stuff to men he should be kissing the butts of instead? That infuriates me to no end! LOL!!

I think in the end, HHH is in fact a "Legend". And I think he is because of his Legacy in the WWE and his Shelf Life in wrestling. I give him nothing but props for sticking around when I'm sure he could've left to do movies or something.

Sometimes you have to look at what he's done: Including the epic matches, the severe overness he still has some 18 years after his wrestling debut. Add the title wins, add being key members in two of the greatest factions of all time (DX/Evolution), add some of the great men he has faced, add in that he was one of the key guys during a key time of the key wrestling promotion. Then look at that and then say if he's not a legend what the fuck does he have to do to get that status?!

Sometimes you have to look at what he's done: Including the epic matches, the severe overness he still has some 18 years after his wrestling debut. Add the title wins, add being key members in two of the greatest factions of all time (DX/Evolution), add some of the great men he has faced, add in that he was one of the key guys during a key time of the key wrestling promotion. Then look at that and then say if he's not a legend what the fuck does he have to do to get that status?!

A-fucking-men Lee. I'm sick of so many fans refusing to acknowledge anyone at all since Austin and The Rock left as being a legend. Seriously, what the FUCK do you have to do to be a legend if Triple H isn't a legend? The man has more World Title reigns than Hulk Hogan, he's won a Rumble, a King of the Ring, he's a Grand Slam champion when it actually MEANT something, he had one of the best god damn heel runs EVER during 1999-2000, and the man has been involved in many, many classic match ups. Does he have to shit gold and piss silver to be a legend now? I saw some people mention he doesn't deserve to be mentioned next to "legends" like Bret Hart and Randy Savage...umm, excuse me, just what in the fuck did those two do that Triple H hasn't?

I don't understand the standards alot of fans seem to have when it comes to legends. If Triple H isn't a legend, fuck you, you're an imbecile.

I don't get how you can say he isn't a legend. He's been the main man in WWE for the last ten years or so, he is one of the greatest heels of all-time, has been apart of two of the biggest factions of all-time, been in more classic storylines and feuds than almost anyone in the history of the business and has accomplished everything to be a legend.

It is stupid to say he isn't if you ask me. He gets so much blind hate that it really pisses me off. So he married the bosses daughter, so what? You don't stay on top as long as he has if you're not talented, end of.

@The Game Rage

lol.

Calm down. I apologize for my lack of thought in this thread. Thanks for the enlightenment. You made a lot of good points, especially about the McMahon-Helmsley era. I remember that. To add to Triple H, he always played a great heel. With that being said, I hereby acknowledge his legendary status. And I do know of the Attitude Era. I existed since the days when Hostess chip bags had WWF sticker cards in them.

Absolutely, Triple H should be considered a legend. He has the time in, he has the titles, he has the feuds, he has the DX and Legacy credits to his name, he has accomplished everything you can possibly accomplish in the wrestling world, and then some. His returns from two separate quad injuries, both of which could have ended his career, is testament to his tenacity, he dedication to the business. I don't give a shit if he is married to Stephanie McMahon. Triple H has left more than his fair share of blood and sweat inside a WWE ring. But, all of that aside, will Triple H be remembered 30 years from now? I think so (and not just because 30 years from now he will likely own the McMahon share of WWE stock, and probably be the visible face of the company like Vince is now). I don't see how anyone, when listing the greatest wrestlers of the attitude era or this era could possibly leave out Triple H as one of the best ever.

Hmm, for me, it's more of a definitional problem.

Doesn't legend generally refer to something that took place in the past? I don't consider HHH a legend the same way I don't consider, say, Derek Jeter a legend, or the War in Iraq "history." All of them are still too current to give them such distancing titles.

After he's retired, we can all look back on his career later and determine whether or not he deserves the title, kind of like people can look back now and call Babe Ruth a legend, or Andre the Giant a legend, or the Vietnam War history.

I'm kind of with you, OP-- I think that HHH has done a lot, but the fact of the matter (for now at least) is just that WWE announcers love to throw around hyperboles.

I think HHH is the most overrated wrestler in history, and the most undeserving champion ever, but yes... the dude is without a doubt a legend.

Out of his 13 World Championships or however many he has, I'd say 3 or 4 of those runs were deserved and top quality, if that many. However, the fact remains that he has won the World Championship more times than anyone throughout the history of the business, other than Ric Flair, and did so unbelievably quickly. The fact of the matter is, while I think he has sucked since 2002, the guy knows how to play the game, no pun intended. He is without a doubt the smartest wrestler to ever lace up a pair of boots, and while I can't stand the man, I have the utmost respect for him when it comes to the legacy he has been able to leave for himself thus far in his career. It's incredible, and nowhere near finished.

Triple H is certainly a legend..he has been involved in so many great rivalries which includes with rock,austin,HBK,vince,and even cena they had some great matches..what makes them great is not just rock,austin or a single person both of them have to work together to make it great and certainly trips has done tht he has done enough in the business to be regarded a legend..he has some major career threatning injuries and everytime he has come back hard and put up some great matches and mind u even today he is capable of putting up some great matches...

As someone rightly mentioned above the only reason y we dont know considerr trips a legend is because of the presence of HBK and taker..once they are gone trips would be the only long lasting legend in the business..

As far as putting up the young talent is concerned trips has done that numerous times in his illustrous career guys like orton.batista, and now sheamus have all been supported and bought up the game..who can ever forget tht monumental WM21 match against batista which made him the star he is today...

Sure, I consider Triple H a legend. It depends on what your personal definition of a legend is. I think someone is a legend once they become one of the best ever at what they do. Triple H's 13 world title reigns, numerous other championship reigns, memorable feuds, and passion for the business all speak for themselves. He is both overrated and underrated at the same time. Some people think he's far greater than he actually is, but then there's also all those people who give him a hard time for thinking all his pushes resulted from his marriage to Stephanie. Like I said, it depends on what you define a legend as. He fits my definition, so Cole calling Trips a legend sounds right to me.

How can you not consider him a legend? I mean, if Koko B Ware is a "legend" and is in the HOF, HHH is already there.

Now I've seen at least one person on this thread get all technical as to what constitutes a legend. We're talking about a WRESTLING legend here, we all know what that means, it's not simply someone who wrestled in the past.

If you compare HHH to the HOF there are few that were ever as big as HHH. A lot of people don't realize but HHH has been on top the WWE longer than even Hogan was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back