HBK/Morisson

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
For all the time I have been on this forum, which admittedly is not a long time. All I have heard is "I would love to see John Morrison vs Shawn Michaels" or "HBK/Morrison would be a great match". Am I the only one who thinks that this has come from nowhere and would not be the match that everyone has been predicting it would be. Let me tell you why this would not be a good match please.

Both men's wrestling styles are too similar - Firstly, I think the only reason that this has sort of came about is that Morrison hit HBK with a Sweet Chin Music once. If this is true who cares. I remember when Rock and Austin used to whoop each other with the other man's finisher and it never really done anything for me. Anyway back to the point. Both of these men are too similar in the way that they wrestle. For me this match would be just as appealing as watching The Great Khali versus The Big Show. Both the guys are the exact same style and it doesn't work well. Another example of this is Triple H vs Randy Orton. These guys also have the same type of wrestling style and everyone jumped on the bandwagon saying that it was a poor match at Wrestlemania. The only people I can think of that can make this match work is 'Cruiser-weights'. I enjoyed seeing Rey Mysterio versus Evan Bourne a while ago but Morrison and Michaels are not cruiser-weights. If this match came to fruition, it is my opinion, that it would be much derided and no one want a rematch.

Micheals would be carrying the match - Make no mistake, I am nowhere near being called a Morrison fan. I enjoy his matches and I like his attitude and athletic ability but he is nowhere near the level that Shawn Micheals is on. It is also important to note that Micheals is not my favourite wrestler either, I just see him carrying the match. It is my opinion that Morrison can't really draw a match like Shawn Micheals just now. I mean come on, the guys is a mid-carder on Smackdown at the minute and Micheals is in a league with perhaps The Undertaker and Ric Flair. Why would Shawn want to face him. Don't give me "because he can help him become great" because Shawn Micheals can make anyone look great right now. The same is true about the Undertaker at the minute. If Shawn or The Undertaker lose to any of the upper mid-card guys at the minute, the popularity of said mid-carder would skyrocket. Think about it. What exactly would make this match so great. Would it even come close to Shawn versus Taker at Wrestlemania. If your answer to that is "no", then you now see my point. Shawn doesn't need to go up against Micheals because he can go up against anyone. If I was Micheals, I wouldn't waste my time jobbing to John Morrison anyway. I say that with all due respect to John Morrison.

There will only be one outcome of this match - For me, if this feud was to come to fruition, Morrison would need to win it. What use would it have for Micheals to win? Or more to the point, what se would it be for Morrison to lose it? This again illustrates my last point, if this was to happen then Shawn would just end up jobbing to Morrison and no fan wants to see that because Micheals is the better superstar.

Just my thoughts on the matter though. Feel free to add your own.

I think you missed the point.... Kbk vs morrison would be best done at wrestlemania. A retirement match.... If hbk can last long enough to make it to WM...

And whats this about HBK being a better wrestler... HBK was a better wrestler....
I don't know about you but I discribe how good a wrestler is not only by skill but what in his future... Can anyone guess what hbk's future is?

Stamp collecting! LoL!

HBK is old! Morrison is taking the same route HBK did when he was younger! Morrison future is alot better looking then HBK's!

Both men's wrestling styles are too similar - Firstly, I think the only reason that this has sort of came about is that Morrison hit HBK with a Sweet Chin Music once. If this is true who cares. I remember when Rock and Austin used to whoop each other with the other man's finisher and it never really done anything for me. Anyway back to the point. Both of these men are too similar in the way that they wrestle. For me this match would be just as appealing as watching The Great Khali versus The Big Show. Both the guys are the exact same style and it doesn't work well. Another example of this is Triple H vs Randy Orton. These guys also have the same type of wrestling style and everyone jumped on the bandwagon saying that it was a poor match at Wrestlemania. The only people I can think of that can make this match work is 'Cruiser-weights'. I enjoyed seeing Rey Mysterio versus Evan Bourne a while ago but Morrison and Michaels are not cruiser-weights. If this match came to fruition, it is my opinion, that it would be much derided and no one want a rematch.

That's a bit harsh. Of course Khali vs Big Show would be a crap match, Khali is a terrible wrestler and Show isn't much bigger, you can't blame how bad their match would be on a clashing of styles. And Triple H vs Orton was a poor match, but they've had some decent matches.
You think the only time 2 similarly styled wrestlers can work well together is when they're cruiserweights? Hmm...
How about Chris Benoit vs Kurt Angle? Very similar in style, and if memory serves me correctly, they always had great matches.
And Austin vs The Rock. Both brawlers who were technically average and used their mic skills to get over. They had pretty great matches.
One more example. Jericho vs CM Punk. Both athletic wrestlers who like using agility based moves, using their legs and are both technically sound. Great matches on Raw.

You can't say that wrestlers with similar styles have bad matches, cause logically it means they can work together much easier.
And the styles of John Morrisson and HBK aren't as similar as Angle/Benoit and Khali/Show examples.

Micheals would be carrying the match - Make no mistake, I am nowhere near being called a Morrison fan. I enjoy his matches and I like his attitude and athletic ability but he is nowhere near the level that Shawn Micheals is on. It is also important to note that Micheals is not my favourite wrestler either, I just see him carrying the match. It is my opinion that Morrison can't really draw a match like Shawn Micheals just now. I mean come on, the guys is a mid-carder on Smackdown at the minute and Micheals is in a league with perhaps The Undertaker and Ric Flair. Why would Shawn want to face him. Don't give me "because he can help him become great" because Shawn Micheals can make anyone look great right now. The same is true about the Undertaker at the minute. If Shawn or The Undertaker lose to any of the upper mid-card guys at the minute, the popularity of said mid-carder would skyrocket. Think about it. What exactly would make this match so great. Would it even come close to Shawn versus Taker at Wrestlemania. If your answer to that is "no", then you now see my point. Shawn doesn't need to go up against Micheals because he can go up against anyone. If I was Micheals, I wouldn't waste my time jobbing to John Morrison anyway. I say that with all due respect to John Morrison.

You point confuses me right here. You sound like you're basically saying HBK shouldn't wrestle Morrisson to help him become great because HBK would help him become great.
Yes, if Morrisson pinned HBK, his popularity would shoot up. Which is what we want right now. HBK is retiring soon, and there will be a gap in the main event. So what's better for HBK to do as he bows out to help WWE fill the space he leaves by letting a young guy go over him?
And of course HBK would be carrying the match. That's the best way Morrisson can learn from HBK.

There will only be one outcome of this match - For me, if this feud was to come to fruition, Morrison would need to win it. What use would it have for Micheals to win? Or more to the point, what se would it be for Morrison to lose it? This again illustrates my last point, if this was to happen then Shawn would just end up jobbing to Morrison and no fan wants to see that because Micheals is the better superstar.

Uh yeah, young stars usually do go over older stars to help their career.
Orton and Edge were both elevated to the main event by going over Mick Foley.
Lesnar was elevated to the main event by his win over Hogan, and then The Rock.
Hardy was elevated to the main event by his clean number 1 contenders win over Triple H.
Why is it different when Morrisson goes over an older star? Is there something wrong with him that he shouldn't beat a current main eventer when it's something many other midcarders have done in the past?
Of course Michaels is the better superstar. That's the reason why it would launch Morrisons' popularity.

And why, you ask, would anyone want to see them wrestle?
Because it's 2 extremely athletic guys who always have tons of ideas going toe to toe. And the whole "old school vs new school" thing has been done before, but never quite like it would be in this situation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again..........HBK/Morrison isn't about the actual match, its about building towards a future (Morrison's). Morrison can be great but he just needs that one feud that puts him over the top. HBK can most certainly deliver on that

I think you missed the point.... Kbk vs morrison would be best done at wrestlemania. A retirement match.... If hbk can last long enough to make it to WM...

And whats this about HBK being a better wrestler... HBK was a better wrestler....
I don't know about you but I discribe how good a wrestler is not only by skill but what in his future... Can anyone guess what hbk's future is?

Stamp collecting! LoL!

HBK is old! Morrison is taking the same route HBK did when he was younger! Morrison future is alot better looking then HBK's!

THe Word "is" means present, not future. Shawn Michael was and is a great wrestler. We saw this with his match with flair, undertaker and so many others. Morrison will be the greatest.

Yeah squared circle, you have missed the point. This would be a long building match with alot of smaller feuds leading up to wrestlemania. I think the perfect start would be at Survivor series with Micheals as captain against a team with morrison, similiar to last year but this year Morrison survives with say Jericho. Jericho pins Micheals b/c of something Morrison does and then it carries to Armageddon, Royal Rumble and leads to Shawn retirement match against Morrison. Morrison wins and we all are enlightened in "The Palace of Wisdom"

I am going to say the same thing on this post as I did the "HBK one last title reign" post. The question is: Is Morrison really that good? Like I said in the last post, don't bombard me with smart-ass posts about "am I an idiot" and that kind of crap. It is a question in general. I have only got to see Morrison wrestle a few times when he was on Raw. I usually miss Smackdown b/c of work and dont get to watch ECW either. Also, like I said in the other forum, from what I've seen, Morrison is really good. I dont know about "pass the torch" good, but good nonetheless.

Finneycom1... he IS that good. im very very picky, but this guys got some serious creativity and eccentricity.

GO watch morrison vs bourne... best match of the yr so far. youtube that shizzz. RIGHT NOW!

Anyway, as much as ive been aching to see this, morrison turned face, hes feuding with shelton, then hell prolly move on to jericho. Hes not gna have a long lasting feud with one of the most over faces in the company if WWE wants him to get cheered. but hey, Jericho giving morrison a clean win after a long lasting feud would be good enough.

Finneycom1... he IS that good. im very very picky, but this guys got some serious creativity and eccentricity.

GO watch morrison vs bourne... best match of the yr so far. youtube that shizzz. RIGHT NOW!

Anyway, as much as ive been aching to see this, morrison turned face, hes feuding with shelton, then hell prolly move on to jericho. Hes not gna have a long lasting feud with one of the most over faces in the company if WWE wants him to get cheered. but hey, Jericho giving morrison a clean win after a long lasting feud would be good enough.

I will definitely try to catch Morrison on the next Smackdown. I had no choice but to read the spoilers and read where he is a face now. Most of the stuff I have seen with him was with MNM and Miz/Morrison tag team. I do feel that he will be ME someday. I am just kinda unsure how an HBK/Morrison match would be. But if Morrison keeps the face going and they can turn HBK heel, it would definitely be a great match.

I think Morrison is going to be great, if he faces Shawn again (they have faced before and it was good) in a big stage it can be great. Morrison does not need to win it right away, could be like they did with Jericho, their first encounter Shawn won, then they got apart and then when they came back at it again it was the time for Jericho to shine, only once clean but for most of the time winning or loosing, Jericho was recognized as a great wrestler.

I watched that match, it was amazing, thankyou for showing me this Debisibmania. It just proves that John Morrison is the Future, i'm not saying right now, but he has taken the HBK route of being the arrogant boy-toy and now is moving into a 1995/6 HBK where he recieved Massive Pops and maybe even a world title.

morrison is more of the high flyer between him and hbk, where as hbk can really get any wrestling fan into the match wheter they like technical, high flying and can also pull off a good hardcore match.

i dont think now though morrison will ever be as big as hbk.
back when hbk was at the top wrestling was near its peak with new concepts and gimmicks coming up all the time, and with serious competition from wcw the wwe always had to be at its best. which gave them a chance to show off their big stars to the world and give them intresting storylines and feuds that would get the fans really into it.

right now many gimmicks are ripped off from past ones and morrison as a face right now doesnt really have any big stars to work with on smackdown who arent in a storyline.
as a face, morrison can only go so far. maybe he needs this just now though to help him elevate to the top and an unsuspecting heel turn in the future would be great for him.

but i think the fans will always remember hbk as the guy who was innovated, fought bret hart in several memorable matches, for dx and the clique.

while i think john morrison will always be remembered for being the next shawn michaels and not the very 1st john morrison.

I guess I am in a different boat - I would rather see a HBK/Morrison stable/group rather than an match between the two of them.

I actually thought it would have happened earlier than this point, but I could see HBK taking Morrison under his wing, somewhat like he did with HHH back in the original DX days. The storyline could be something like he knows he is leaving soon, he wants someone to continue in his tradition. He wants to make sure the WWE is secure in its future (or insecure if its a heel group) This could all build up to a win at Wrestlemania (either this year or next) Maybe (and I know this is unusual) HBK could win the title and the next night "wrestle" Morrison for the title ala HBK and HHH when HBK had the European title. He could pass the torch (literally with the belt) and retire.

HBK vs. Morrison would be pure GOLD! New era vs Old School. Michael Jordan vs. Kobe Bryant (or Lebron James) John Elway vs Joe Montana. It would be incredible. To the moron that said their styles are too similar you need to be smacked. Cruiserweights styles are all the same yet their matches are exciting.
HELLO Shelton Benjamin vs. HBK a while back. Are you going to say that the 2 of them have totally different styles? Matt Hardy vs Jeff Hardy. While Jeff is slightly more risky in the high flying dept they still have similar styles and their matches are pretty damn good. Ok here is a given. HBK vs Y2J @ WM19. Y2J idolized Shawn and tried to emulate him. In fact their styles are very similiar and guess what. Classic match!
What's the problem with similiar styles? If you have 2 people that share similar chemistry and move sets they can:
A. Take more risky spots with confidence knowing their opponent is experienced in their area.
B. Have more exciting COUNTERS. Hell I'll mark out to a tremendous counter any day of the week.
C. Provide the fans with a lasting memory/match that makes us go. DAAAMN

HBK/Morrison has the potential to be an epic affair if done correctly.
It would set up beautifully for HBK/Morrison @ Mania with Morrison getting the CLEAN decisive win over HBK. Thus retiring the "Heart Break Kid". However he would go out in the most honorable of ways, wrestling.

I really don't think that John Morrison is the exact same wrestler as HBK. I mean, sure you can see the resemblance in their in-ring action but that's about it. I mean everybody can be compared to someone. But that doesn't neccesarely they are the same. I'm a big fan of Morrison because of hist style of wrestling. The HBK of this era isn't the one he used to be. So I don't know why some people compare the HBK of now to JoMo.

But that doesn't mean JoMo can't stand on his own two feet. I mean the guy is still young. Yet most fans treat him as the next this or that. I look forward to see Morrison every week on Smackdown because the guy has earned my respect. He wrestles really good. Not because I think he reminds me of the old HBK. Besides when did HBK have his own dirt sheet? I think you people need to be laid back a bit more. Just wait and see what happens. Morrison is JUST 29 years old. He's on his second single's push. And I really think the company has faith in this guy. Even if he stays in the midcard I'll still be his fan.

I think this match has the potentiol to be even better than Taker vs. HBK at WM 25!
Morrison is just like a young HBK!
and I disagree with u completely on the fact that HBK would win the feud!
whats the point?!?!? and HBK wants to put the younger guys over!
and the fact that u think wrestlers with pratically the same skills cant work a great match?
A.J. Styles vs. Christopher Daniels: BOTH men X-Division wrestlers/cruiserweights! and all of there matches were well... phenomenal (no pun intended)

Angle and Benoit: to great great great wrestlers arguably identical in in-ring abilities! and they always had great matches!

Owen Hart (r.i.p.) vs. Bret the Hitman Hart: that match I think at summerslam 94 TORE THE HOUSE DOWN! Owen and bret again almost identical in in-ring abilities!

POINT PROVEN CASE CLOSED!
CAN u dig that SUCKA!?!? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back