Grand Theft Auto V Trailer Announced for 11/2!

A renaissance era GTA with cars and tanks would fucking rule. Just saying. It's like never going to happen but an Assassins Creed/GTA crossover would be so cum-worthy it's unreal.

I've already played GTA San Andreas and GTA 4, not to mention Bully and Red Dead Redemption. Doubt I'll need to play this one, as I'm sure I can pop in my old copies and relive the gameplay.

Not a GTA fan...don't see the point in doing the same thing over and over again. Ironically, I AM a huge fan of the Dynasty Warriors series. So figure that one out.

Liberty City (or New York City if they use a real location).

GTA, GTAII,GTAIII and GTA IV were all in Liberty City (except for GTA II which was in Anywhere USA), the safe bet is they will stay put with GTA V. All GTA games that took place outside of Liberty City were always put in the title somewhere except for GTA II which was already mentioned.

Who gives a shit about GTA V? The last one looked great but was repetitive and tried to pass itself off as a serious affair although it was even less credible than the Saints Row franchise.

On the plus side, I hope they announce a GTA V release date soon. Hopefully this will cause other developers to push their games back and work on making them better.

2rfttgk.jpg

DirtyJosé;3491620 said:
Yes, sadly, some people thrive on trailers. I personally wait to play the damn games before I get all wet for them, but meh...to each their own I guess.

To be honest, Saints Row has been the better sandbox franchise for a while now. Curious to see if Rockstar is going to try and pound us into the dirt with another GTA 4 style sob story or if they'll go back to San Andreas style epicness.

Saints Row? Nah dude, not even close. I mean, those are good games, but they're clear and obvious caricatures of the Grand Theft Auto series. Why fuck with New Coke when original Coke tastes better and is the original? Same premise.

From what I've read about the GTAIV story, it sounded good to me. I like my video games to put some effort into making a story try to actually evoke emotion out of the gamer rather than just throwing out characters you don't care about telling you "Go from Point A to Point B" all game long. Character development is what made Vice City and San Andreas more enjoyable than GTAIII.

I hope video games continue to try and put effort into the scripts and stories and character development. It's the next step to making it a more critically accepted "art" medium IMO.

Oh and apologies to Lee, didn't see the thread he started on this in the GSD earlier today. Thought I checked.

DirtyJosé;3491646 said:
I just don't dig the heavy handedness of GTA4's storytelling approach. Babysitting is not my idea of a good time. Gritty and grime are things that have done to death in the last few years of gaming; it may have felt fresh by the time GTA4 was made, but it's been played out as fuck. You can tell a great story and still keep some light heartedness to it, as San Andreas showed us. At the end of the day, this is a genre of gaming that opened up to worldwide popularity because of the fun it put into your hands, and in my opinion Saints Row has done a better job of giving that to people instead of trying to force in a SERIOUS BUSINESS story to go with it which fights against the nature of what a game like this should be on every level.

...What? Dude, what?

Grand Theft Auto blew up because you were able to graphically kill massive amounts of innocent characters and police officers without actually having to play through levels and accomplish goals. That's where the "fun" of the genre derived from---murdering innocent people as violently as possible, including prostitutes and cops. Let's not pretend people got interested in GTA because of the cool cars you could drive or something, no, the series and genre exploded because it was one of the first mainstream games to go ahead and not give a fuck about the level of violence and "grime" in the game. When GTAIII dropped, we all dropped whatever other games we were playing (Final Fantasy for example at the time which me and my friends love love loved at the time) and played nothing but GTAIII for like...two years. People who didn't even play video games bought it. And they did all this because of that "grime", the violence, the dark and morbid nature of the game and it's depiction of crime on the street.

Sorry dude, but that whole post of yours just made no sense. People did not buy GTA because of the light-hearted casual fun. They bought them because you could steal someone's car, fuck a prostitute, shoot a cop in the face, and then go on a mass killing spree with a sniper rifle in the city. I'd say the gritty nature of the games have always been their massive appeal. It's why GTA has sold far, far, far more copies than the Saints Row franchise ever could dream of.

Sorry dude, but that whole post of yours just made no sense. People did not buy GTA because of the light-hearted casual fun. They bought them because you could steal someone's car, fuck a prostitute, shoot a cop in the face, and then go on a mass killing spree with a sniper rifle in the city. I'd say the gritty nature of the games have always been their massive appeal.

What do you consider light hearted fun if not these?

GTA has a weird dichotomy. On the one hand, the stories are these really classic stories of crime and what they mean to the human soul. On the other hand, they are indeed light hearted murder fests (as always, tragedy - context = hilarity, hence laughing uproariously as you shoot up a mall).

Saints Row doesn't even compare to GTA. It's a caricature. Sure, you get all the fun of rampant murder fests, but you get really terrible stories and over the top comedy at the same time. They're fun, but they're not great.

GTA has a weird dichotomy. On the one hand, the stories are these really classic stories of crime and what they mean to the human soul. On the other hand, they are indeed light hearted murder fests (as always, tragedy - context = hilarity, hence laughing uproariously as you shoot up a mall).

Saints Row doesn't even compare to GTA. It's a caricature. Sure, you get all the fun of rampant murder fests, but you get really terrible stories and over the top comedy at the same time. They're fun, but they're not great.

This. Saints Row is a fun, kill a half hour or so with silly side missions like FUZZ or Heli Assault type of game. However, the story sucks, 9/10 cut scenes suck, and the characters are uncompelling.

GTA doesn't have the silly but awesome mini-games like Trail Blazer, but at the same time it has very deep, complex characters and interesting storylines that engulf an entire city.

Saints Row? Nah dude, not even close. I mean, those are good games, but they're clear and obvious caricatures of the Grand Theft Auto series. Why fuck with New Coke when original Coke tastes better and is the original? Same premise.

New Coke in this example is GTA4, and we'll cover that soon. Saints Row is more like Pepsi...or RC Cola.

From what I've read about the GTAIV story, it sounded good to me. I like my video games to put some effort into making a story try to actually evoke emotion out of the gamer rather than just throwing out characters you don't care about telling you "Go from Point A to Point B" all game long. Character development is what made Vice City and San Andreas more enjoyable than GTAIII.

Ok, I think I see the problem here: You've never actually played through GTA4 have you? Let's get something out of the way then; the issue isn't just that there's a story. The issue is that the story gets in the way of the game and for no good reason.

...What? Dude, what?

Grand Theft Auto blew up because you were able to graphically kill massive amounts of innocent characters and police officers without actually having to play through levels and accomplish goals. That's where the "fun" of the genre derived from---murdering innocent people as violently as possible, including prostitutes and cops. Let's not pretend people got interested in GTA because of the cool cars you could drive or something, no, the series and genre exploded because it was one of the first mainstream games to go ahead and not give a fuck about the level of violence and "grime" in the game. When GTAIII dropped, we all dropped whatever other games we were playing (Final Fantasy for example at the time which me and my friends love love loved at the time) and played nothing but GTAIII for like...two years. People who didn't even play video games bought it. And they did all this because of that "grime", the violence, the dark and morbid nature of the game and it's depiction of crime on the street.

Again, you're missing the point. "Grit and grime" didn't apply to the content of the game and the things you can do; that would be where the fun is. The "Grit and grime" reference is to the story, which does everything it can to suck the fun out of the other parts of the game. If you'd actually played the game, you'd understand what I'm talking about. I'm getting to my point/defense here, just want to let you finish.

Sorry dude, but that whole post of yours just made no sense. People did not buy GTA because of the light-hearted casual fun. They bought them because you could steal someone's car, fuck a prostitute, shoot a cop in the face, and then go on a mass killing spree with a sniper rifle in the city. I'd say the gritty nature of the games have always been their massive appeal. It's why GTA has sold far, far, far more copies than the Saints Row franchise ever could dream of.

Note the bolded text. As I said above, this IS the fun part. And in a way, it is light-hearted; no pretext of having to do it for a mission or for the story. The fun in GTA games has always been in the ability to just wander off track from the grind of the missions into doing this kind of shit. Since day one. And yet playing GTA4, the story keeps fucking this up.

Not to spoil bits of the game for you, but let's say you're playing GTA4 and you decide to go off on a tangent like you've described. You've mown down some pedestrians and are on your way to pick up some weapons to bunker down and take out some cops. Then your phone rings; your shit head cousin wants to hang out. Now, you could ignore this and carry on with what ever you are doing, but it WILL affect your standing in the story, and many times it will prevent you from getting the missions you need to move forward.

So now you're stuck with a choice; actually have fun with the game now and waste time later trying to improve the "relationship" with your cousin or your friend or whoever it is (there are quite a bunch of these types) just to get access to story missions later (ugh, what a chore), or you quit having fun now to go and pick them up so you don't have to grind it out later. And let me say, it's not like the side missions with them are fun; you usually drive them to a restaurant or bar, then drive them back. Over and over again. And it's not like this shit only happens once in awhile; it's like the damn game can tell you're taking a break and forces it on you. You really don't get much down time to have fun. As soon as you aren't in missions, your phone is blowing up from one guy or girl or another and if you ignore them it just makes it that much more tedious later on to proceed with the story. That's not thoughtful or artistic story telling; it's bad game design.

I get where they figured this would be some kind of real life immersion. But it's not like these bits are fun to play nor are filled with the kind of great dialogue GTA games usually are filled with to keep you entertained enough to care. It becomes, again, a chore, and feeling like that in games like this is very bad. It's one big part of how the story of GTA4 got in the way of enjoying the game of GTA4. It has all the parts of the same kind of fun we remember from games like Vice City and San Andreas, but it never lets you get too deep into that kind of fun. They tried too hard to make some sort of poignant "coming to America and trying to survive and find the dream" story that is absolutely ruins the mood that these kind of games should be encouraging. Saints Row, on the other hand, knows why you are playing a game like this and gives you that kind of freedom and encourages you to have that kind of fun, even if it does it a little childishly.

I stand by my statements. I really do hope the game is a little more like the games they used to make in style and tone and less like GTA4 was. Go play the game and you'll see what I mean.

DirtyJosé;3492328 said:
Not to spoil bits of the game for you, but let's say you're playing GTA4 and you decide to go off on a tangent like you've described. You've mown down some pedestrians and are on your way to pick up some weapons to bunker down and take out some cops. Then your phone rings; your shit head cousin wants to hang out. Now, you could ignore this and carry on with what ever you are doing, but it WILL affect your standing in the story, and many times it will prevent you from getting the missions you need to move forward.

A couple things. First of all, there's a way to turn off your cell phone so that you don't get a phone call while you're shooting down police choppers. Second of all, ignoring those phone calls doesn't affect the story, it just affects your relationship with the character. You can have a 0 relationship rating with your cousin, and he'll still treat you like his best friend in the world whenever you do a mission for him. The only difference is that you won't be able to call him when you're sandboxing to get a free cab ride.

So now you're stuck with a choice; actually have fun with the game now and waste time later trying to improve the "relationship" with your cousin or your friend or whoever it is (there are quite a bunch of these types) just to get access to story missions later (ugh, what a chore

Once again, I'm 99% sure that there are no missions in the game that need a certain relationship rating to access. It seems like you've focused in on one point and invented a plethora of reasons that it takes away from the game, when in reality it was something new and innovative that Rockstar tried, and in many ways it was very helpful.

or you quit having fun now to go and pick them up so you don't have to grind it out later. And let me say, it's not like the side missions with them are fun; you usually drive them to a restaurant or bar, then drive them back. Over and over again. And it's not like this shit only happens once in awhile; it's like the damn game can tell you're taking a break and forces it on you. You really don't get much down time to have fun. As soon as you aren't in missions, your phone is blowing up from one guy or girl or another and if you ignore them it just makes it that much more tedious later on to proceed with the story. That's not thoughtful or artistic story telling; it's bad game design.

Except when you can also take them to play pool or darts, or go to a comedy club where you are treated to real bits of stand up from comedians like Katt Williams and Ricky Gervais. Yes, there is the restaurant option, and that's boring, but taking them out to do these things unlocks friendship bonuses. If you get to a certain level with Roman, you get a free cab ride. If you get to a certain level with Little Jacob, you can call him to deliver you guns. If you get to a certain level with Dwayne, you can call him to send you backup. Cause and effect mo fucka, that's one of GTA 4's selling points, and it shows in this.

I stand by my statements. I really do hope the game is a little more like the games they used to make in style and tone and less like GTA4 was. Go play the game and you'll see what I mean.

No you won't. These side missions are by no means a big part of the game, and truthfully, you can go through the entire game without playing these missions once. The only time it's forced upon you is when you have to take this girl bowling because your cousin's girlfriend wants you to bang said girl. After that you're supposed to get close to her and what not, but I've played the game without taking her out again... and you know what? The same cut scene played as every other time.

What I found with GTA games is the most enjoyable part of the game is getting in gunfights and shooting people.

For that $60 I can play Call of Duty and shoot people all day long. Why should I have to shoot people, and then spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to get away from police, when I can spend that time shooting people?

What I found with GTA games is the most enjoyable part of the game is getting in gunfights and shooting people.

For that $60 I can play Call of Duty and shoot people all day long. Why should I have to shoot people, and then spend the next 5-10 minutes trying to get away from police, when I can spend that time shooting people?

Personally, I enjoy the cinematic presentation of a crime and car chase across a city that follows. If you play long enough you'll learn short cuts, special jumps, and interesting ways to lose the cops.

Personally, I enjoy the cinematic presentation of a crime and car chase across a city that follows. If you play long enough you'll learn short cuts, special jumps, and interesting ways to lose the cops.

If I want to get away from the cops, why shoot random people in the first place? Why not just NOT shoot people, and then I don't have to get away from the cops. Unless your goal is to only play the game so you can get away from cops, I don't see the point.

Perhaps if there was some variety in the missions, or more appropriately, how you obtain the missions, I might be interested. Otherwise, I'd rather play Call of Duty or the upcoming Skyrim, where shooting people is a lot more fun, or missions occur in a logical order for a logical reason, without making you feel like acquiring them is a chore.

Red Dead Redemption suffered from the same problem. While I enjoyed that game immensely more than GTA games, I got to Mexico and grew bored with it.

I have nothing against Rockstar games, and I get many many people enjoy them greatly. I'm just not one of those people.

Yeah I'm not excited about this. Saints Row 3 will be ultimately better. I lost all faith in Rockstar after the poor endings to both RDR and La Noire.

DirtyJosé;3492328 said:
New Coke in this example is GTA4, and we'll cover that soon. Saints Row is more like Pepsi...or RC Cola.

Ok, I think I see the problem here: You've never actually played through GTA4 have you? Let's get something out of the way then; the issue isn't just that there's a story. The issue is that the story gets in the way of the game and for no good reason.

Again, you're missing the point. "Grit and grime" didn't apply to the content of the game and the things you can do; that would be where the fun is. The "Grit and grime" reference is to the story, which does everything it can to suck the fun out of the other parts of the game. If you'd actually played the game, you'd understand what I'm talking about. I'm getting to my point/defense here, just want to let you finish.

Note the bolded text. As I said above, this IS the fun part. And in a way, it is light-hearted; no pretext of having to do it for a mission or for the story. The fun in GTA games has always been in the ability to just wander off track from the grind of the missions into doing this kind of shit. Since day one. And yet playing GTA4, the story keeps fucking this up.

So now you're stuck with a choice; actually have fun with the game now and waste time later trying to improve the "relationship" with your cousin or your friend or whoever it is (there are quite a bunch of these types) just to get access to story missions later (ugh, what a chore), or you quit having fun now to go and pick them up so you don't have to grind it out later. And let me say, it's not like the side missions with them are fun; you usually drive them to a restaurant or bar, then drive them back. Over and over again. And it's not like this shit only happens once in awhile; it's like the damn game can tell you're taking a break and forces it on you. You really don't get much down time to have fun. As soon as you aren't in missions, your phone is blowing up from one guy or girl or another and if you ignore them it just makes it that much more tedious later on to proceed with the story. That's not thoughtful or artistic story telling; it's bad game design.

I get where they figured this would be some kind of real life immersion. But it's not like these bits are fun to play nor are filled with the kind of great dialogue GTA games usually are filled with to keep you entertained enough to care. It becomes, again, a chore, and feeling like that in games like this is very bad. It's one big part of how the story of GTA4 got in the way of enjoying the game of GTA4. It has all the parts of the same kind of fun we remember from games like Vice City and San Andreas, but it never lets you get too deep into that kind of fun. They tried too hard to make some sort of poignant "coming to America and trying to survive and find the dream" story that is absolutely ruins the mood that these kind of games should be encouraging. Saints Row, on the other hand, knows why you are playing a game like this and gives you that kind of freedom and encourages you to have that kind of fun, even if it does it a little childishly.

1) I have played GTA4, I just haven't played through it and beaten the game myself, I've played it many times just fucking around at friends house and know all about the actual mechanics and gameplay of the game itself, I've just never owned the game to sit down and complete the story mission.

2) Everything you've just complained about can be simply solved by creating two different save files for your game. One of which you use to play the game and beat the levels and play the story by the rules, the other one for fucking around and doing sandbox stuff. This is simple, easy, and it's a strategy used commonly by probably the vast majority of game owners.

So your argument kind of sucks. Your mad that the game is intuitive and challenges you? Wow, how cruel of them. Not like you can just create a new save file and do whatever the fuck you feel like....oh, wait....you can.

Sorry dude, your argument is bollocks. I'd rather have a game that' intuitive and challenging than one that's rudimentary and pedestrian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back