• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk's TNA Run Now Available on TNAOnDemand

I think it is a great move by TNA. Why not capatalize on what is hot? Didn't The E have Snookie at Wrestlemania because she is hot (popularity wise and not neccesarily looks)? CM Punk is the big name in wrestling right now so why not use him. CM Punk is money and TNA is within their rights. I think it's a good move

I don't buy that. He's not actually under contract with WWE last I checked, but even if he were, or even if you ignored that fact for the sake of argument here, this is not "promoting". It's cashing in on the name value of a guy they otherwise would have had no access to. Even if it makes a dollar or two for WWE, who cares, so long as TNA is cashing in, too?

You can talk about how TNA don't make stars on their own, and that's fine and valid to an extent, but when it comes down to marketing, "CM Punk is Coming to TNAOnDemand" is flat-out going to out-sell "Kid Kash is Coming to TNAOnDemand". Period.

So your telling me that they purchased the royalties to "Cult of Personality" for nothing?, that makes no sense dude, you know he's re-signed with the company, for how long though we have yet to see.
-
no its promoting, after they draw in the Punk fans who will probably make a Purchase to see his entire TNA run what happens to the guys who dont watch WWE?, they will wonder why TNA is promoting a WWE guy, they will start to search for the guy and move right back to the WWE, its simple.

Yes it wil out sell but the fact is that they are downplaying their own talent for a WWE guy, no matter what you or any TNA Loyalist say IDR because the fact is that this is the issue that talent is having with the company at this time, theyve braught in guys like Hogan, Bischoff, Booker T, Nash, Sting, Anderson and has it helped the company?, no.

now they're insulting their own talent further by promoting a hot WWE talent in hopes of cashing in, it's a slap in the face to all the AJStyles, Daniels, Robert Roodes of the company no matter what anyone says it completely down plays their own talent and does nothing for the company in the long run.

I'll tell you what Deexter, if the next edition of iMPACT throughout the night airs ads showcasing "CM Punk is coming to TNA OnDemand" every five minutes then I owe you a coke. I was looking at TNA's website today and the presence of CM Punk is so blinding that I can't see any other superstars listed on the company's website. Nor did I realize that on August 25th the company is holding a show in Hunstville, Alabama or that Bound For Glory is on October 16th, none of this I was aware of because of CM Punk taking up so much room on TNA's internet home. Seriously man, is your problem that big that you're going to say that by announcing that archives with CM Punk being featured on demand is going to bury the rest of the roster? Get real dude, seriously. He's being promoted on their website, that's a far cry different from being promoted on the air, get real...again like these other posters you're turning the mole hill into a mountain.

My problem is the fact that time and time again Dixie Carter looks to the WWE in order to bring in TNA'S income, the fact that guys like AJ Styles are being looked over for guys like Hogan,Sting, Anderson, Hardy (Matt and Jeff), i wont include Angle in this sentence because Angle actually wants to help the company no matter how idiotic he can be at times.

and the end result is a company that literally is one of the unhappiest places to work for for its own wrestlers and thats the sad part, financially this may help TNA but in the long run it does nothing!, I would be making the same complaints if WWE did the same thing to most of its home grown talent, wrestling needs to move up with new talent, new ideas and stop looking to the past to get ideas because the mistakes of the past will be repeated if TNA keeps looking over their own roster for WWE's talent pool than how will it grow?

Right, and I am sure that Vince McMahon or any other entertainment mogul is altruistic in every way possible and doesn't think about dollar signs as well...right. I just don't really get folks like yourself, that get on these proverbial high horses about things. To be honest, that's what's really annoying!
Thats why vince is starting to listen to his own talent because his company is not improving his financial situation is not improving, so why not look towards new talent like Punk to help build the company once more, i'm as surprised as any that Vince is starting to listen to his own talent.

If it is true as you assume that they aren't making much money on their OnDemand service, then what's the reasoning in them NOT trying to make money out of wrestling's hottest commodity at the moment?

Again, I have no problem with TNA trying to make money out of something they own the rights too. No one had a crystal ball and could see how high up Punk's star would rise. There was an article posted and discussed this past week that if it hadn't been for HBK, Punk may well just be loitering around the mid-card if not future endeavored when he first joined WWECW.

Hindsight is 20/20, TNA missed an opportunity with Punk first time around, but are showcasing some matches from when he was still starting out. What's wrong with offering a contrast from where he is now to where he once was? Doesn't that help put Punk's ascendency into a better context?

Fair enough.

Lets say the average On Demand video makes $10k (and I feel I am being generous with this number).

So lets say showcasing Punk instead gets a 15% to 20% Revenue Bump relative to another On Demand Video. So at a 15% to 20% increase, that is between $1500 and $2000 plus some internet buzz.

That IMO is not worth showcasing another brands wrestler. But make it say 50k or more, then they have generated more profilts then a handful of House Shows do, and it seems like a no brainer.

Fair enough.

Lets say the average On Demand video makes $10k (and I feel I am being generous with this number).

So lets say showcasing Punk instead gets a 15% to 20% Revenue Bump relative to another On Demand Video. So at a 15% to 20% increase, that is between $1500 and $2000 plus some internet buzz.

That IMO is not worth showcasing another brands wrestler. But make it say 50k or more, then they have generated more profilts then a handful of House Shows do, and it seems like a no brainer.

I get what you're saying, but a revenue bump is a revenue bump! Any time an opportunity presents itself for a company to make money from something (as long as it's legal/tasteful etc) then they should do.

It's not quite the same thing, but as a comparison I was thinking about bands' bootleg/B-sides albums. Now these albums will never surpass the success of the big mainstream albums, but it allows the fan to see the progression the band has made, what they kept, what they left out, what they changed etc.

As a fan of both company's I like this decision because in WWE, Punk has been on a roll and is now at the top of the mountain and when he was in TNA he was still near base-camp in a sense. For wrestling/Punk fans, this is a good thing :)

My problem is the fact that time and time again Dixie Carter looks to the WWE in order to bring in TNA'S income, the fact that guys like AJ Styles are being looked over for guys like Hogan,Sting, Anderson, Hardy (Matt and Jeff), i wont include Angle in this sentence because Angle actually wants to help the company no matter how idiotic he can be at times.

I can understand where you're coming from on some counts, however CM Punk's presence on TNA's website might be noticeable but it's not overbearing. And again, there is not an extra cost to get him if you are on an OnDemand TNA member. Now if you aren't one well it might end up encouraging a few more subscriptions. However, just the same CM Punk is basically a supplement to material that all TNA On Demand members are already getting. So again, I personally don't find it to be a big deal. And again whether I agree with the strategy or not is a moot point, because it is within TNA's legal right to do this.

While AJ Styles hasn't been a World Champion in quite some time, he did get to headline the last pay per view, I wouldn't exactly call that being overlooked. I will admit he has had a few rough patches, but considering the amount of times he's been a World Champion before and the fact that he was still one even a few months after Hogan came to TNA, shows that he's still an important part of the promotion. Hopefully he'll be back in that scene sooner than later.

...and the end result is a company that literally is one of the unhappiest places to work for for its own wrestlers and thats the sad part, financially this may help TNA but in the long run it does nothing!, I would be making the same complaints if WWE did the same thing to most of its home grown talent, wrestling needs to move up with new talent, new ideas and stop looking to the past to get ideas because the mistakes of the past will be repeated if TNA keeps looking over their own roster for WWE's talent pool than how will it grow?

My personal advice, don't believe what you read on the internet, this place is a virtual cesspool of negativity and bullshit, it will serve you better to not be so quick to judge situations that you or I are not even a part of seeing occur. I am not going to say that there aren't egos at work in the wrestling world, I am not saying that at all. However, I find it very difficult to want to believe every nugget of shit that I read about or am told about from other internet users.

Again, if CM Punk's OnDemand appearance is overbearingly plugged on the next broadcast, then I'll give your misgiving more credence, however TNA is basically taking advantage of modern technology and also riding off the coattails of CM Punk's momentum. While it might look desperate to some people, I find it to be harmless considering how minuscule his presence on the website really is and the fact that we'll have to wait and see if anything is mentioned about this on television. Then we can start talking.

Thats why vince is starting to listen to his own talent because his company is not improving his financial situation is not improving, so why not look towards new talent like Punk to help build the company once more, i'm as surprised as any that Vince is starting to listen to his own talent.

We can only hope this continues to last, I can't say it will happen for sure, bottom line is that I merely a fan and nothing more of wrestling. I can't and won't claim that these peoples are the saints and sinners that they are portrayed to be by the armchair fans. I stand by what I say when EVERY corporate entity and its members are concerned about financial gain...all of them are. Period.

Again, as far as CM Punk's push goes, it's off to a great start, but let's wait and see before we start celebrating.

It think it's just smart business, everyone bitching over this needs to just be quiet, you undoubtedly aren't in business because that's all this is, a smart business move to make some fast money and get back their original investment they spent on punk. Te way I see it they A) see this as a way to possibly bring punks fanbase onto the IW brand, cause let's face it the only people that will prob buy this for the most part is punk fans, and B) someone brought up it's showing the WWE champion, but I think that could also be a part of their reasoning, they can sit there and show the wwe champion "isn't even in our league" or something along those lines beings he was used as a jobber in these matches. I mean we all know they, especially Bischoff, love to stir shit up and try and poke that WWE machine. I'm surprised Boone else has brought this up actually, as it's the sort of thing Bischoff used to do on a regular basis...
OH, and to all the ******s saying McMahon is now listening to his employees and shit like that, you're nuts, he is nuts and changes his mind on a daily basis from what I read, and that's not even the main issue, he has NEVER listened to what people wants if it's not what he wants, how can you people not see this is just nexus 2011 in that it's a hot feud to get people to buy summerslam, where once again cena will win and stop the momentum, turning to the rock/cena angle with punk left in the dust wondering WTF just happened.

I recently noticed that TNA has put all of CM Punks matches with the company up on their on demand site.

Do you think this is a smart move? capitallizing on a huge star right now or a sign of desperation? trying to make money on him because nobody is interested on anything else on TNA on demand.

I don't mean to act like a mod, but there's already a thread about Punk and what TNA did. Post there, bud.

Also, you already sound overly biased so ... yeah. Go to that thread, there's more of your kind there.

I don't mean to act like a mod, but there's already a thread about Punk and what TNA did. Post there, bud.

Also, you already sound overly biased so ... yeah. Go to that thread, there's more of your kind there.

Firstly, i Just realised that there is another thread of the same topic. My mistake.

Secondly, how am i biased? i have been watching TNA since 2003 and yes as much as i dislike the product at the moment i still tune in because there is talent there that i enjoy watching.

Thirdly, My kind? what is that supposed to mean? do you mean people that get along and dont complain about everything because all i see on this TNA section is threads about things they dont like about TNA. Negative threads.

dude stop stereotyping people because they prefer one company over another. You prefer TNA, I prefer WWE. Whats the big deal?

Of course it's smart. Capitalizing on a hot commodity is never a bad or "desperate" idea. TNA should treat itself as a business more often. It seems that sometimes they have guys who are pleasing their own interests, or the interests of a small portion of the audience, instead of what makes the most money.

Firstly, i Just realised that there is another thread of the same topic. My mistake.

Secondly, how am i biased? i have been watching TNA since 2003 and yes as much as i dislike the product at the moment i still tune in because there is talent there that i enjoy watching.

Thirdly, My kind? what is that supposed to mean? do you mean people that get along and dont complain about everything because all i see on this TNA section is threads about things they dont like about TNA. Negative threads.

dude stop stereotyping people because they prefer one company over another. You prefer TNA, I prefer WWE. Whats the big deal?
i hope so! then maybe some of their bigger talent can go to a real company and earn some real money instead of this Pay per appearence crap that TNA does.

Yeah, you're not biased at all.

Anyway let's just stop this discussion here. This thread is pointless to begin with, I don't want to turn it into a turd hurling contest.

I would be making the same complaints if WWE did the same thing to most of its home grown talent, wrestling needs to move up with new talent, new ideas and stop looking to the past to get ideas because the mistakes of the past will be repeated if TNA keeps looking over their own roster for WWE's talent pool than how will it grow?

This part of your post interests me because it raises a question, how did you feel about the last WrestleMania? In the months prior to the event Sheamus, Kane and the Nexus where all pushed hard only to be discarded for the big one because they were not regarded as over enough. Instead we got commentators, Attitude era legends and celebrities dominating the whole show. It'll be interesting to see just how much VKM is listening to his superstars once the granddaddy of them all roles around again.

TNAonDemand showcases all TNA stars, any WWe fan who goes on to watch this program will have full access to a substantive library featuring: current WWe PG era stars Christian, RTruth, Booker T and Kharma; Monday Night Era stars aplenty; plus wrestlers and match types that have never been seen 'up north'. This is a marketing ploy for a product, no different from the toy at the bottom of a cereal box. Why are people trying to make it into something more complicated?

This part of your post interests me because it raises a question, how did you feel about the last WrestleMania? In the months prior to the event Sheamus, Kane and the Nexus where all pushed hard only to be discarded for the big one because they were not regarded as over enough. Instead we got commentators, Attitude era legends and celebrities dominating the whole show. It'll be interesting to see just how much VKM is listening to his superstars once the granddaddy of them all roles around again.

TNAonDemand showcases all TNA stars, any WWe fan who goes on to watch this program will have full access to a substantive library featuring: current WWe PG era stars Christian, RTruth, Booker T and Kharma; Monday Night Era stars aplenty; plus wrestlers and match types that have never been seen 'up north'. This is a marketing ploy for a product, no different from the toy at the bottom of a cereal box. Why are people trying to make it into something more complicated?

the fact is wrestlemania 27 was aweful, Cena vs Miz was terrible, no MITB to showcase the midcard talent and literally most of the matches on the card where blow off matches at best, the fact tha Edge vs Alberto Del Rio was jerking the curtain for the show was inane, the whole event was booked with the rock in mind, I hated it, I was going to give up on WWE if it werent for Punk, he made Wrestlemania managable, hell he made the WWE managable for me, I literally was going to give up on WWE if things hadnt change.

The one thing most dont seem to understand is that I know about four guys on the TNA roster all credible wrestlers, hell I was on the same card as Doug Williams once apon a time, the fact is TNA has a more credible roster than WWE but the reason why people haven't noticed the AJ's or Roods of TNA is because of one thing, marketing, the company doesn't publicise itself outside of its little bubble, most can say that WWE has been around for ages and that its the more established brand but the fact still remains that TNA doesnt need to do these half assed parlour tricks to get people interested in their product, I was hooked from the beginning and loved the company ever since but have since changed my perspective due to two issues that i have with the current TNA product, they rely too much on past stars and not enough on its own established talent.

Take AJ for example, the guy went from being X division champ to the guy carrying the company, they placed him with Russo as a heel, than face, than back as a heel than face again, tagged him up with Dlo brown than moved him into a stable with christian, angle than christian again, paired him with flair and now on his own again.

The fact is if they just let the guy be phenominal and do his own thing instead of partnereing him up with established talent he may have gotten further on his own, the guy has layers and has made a sucess of his career without the WWE established talent that did nothing for his character.

You can call me wrong, ask what the big deal is but the fact still remains that TNA is overshadowing guys like styles in order to make a few bucks off of Punk business wise they will make some money from this but from a company stand point it does nothing to seperate their brand from the WWE.

You complain they are stuck in their bubble and don't advertise out of it, than complain when they are doing just that.... Let's be real, who's going to say "omg I've got see this" the punk die hard fans, and chances are, they aren't watching IW, they're watching WWE where he is, they buy this and see him, than they start looking at the other wrestlers/matches on their ondemand, than they see the wrestlers you stated, and possibly start watching.

You can call me wrong, ask what the big deal is but the fact still remains that TNA is overshadowing guys like styles in order to make a few bucks off of Punk business wise they will make some money from this but from a company stand point it does nothing to seperate their brand from the WWE.

But that's the whole point, what WWe fan is going to be drawn to TNAonDemand promoting AJ? A WWe fan purchasing TNAonDemand to see the Punk feature however, will have access to any number of AJ's bouts.

You complain they are stuck in their bubble and don't advertise out of it, than complain when they are doing just that.... Let's be real, who's going to say "omg I've got see this" the punk die hard fans, and chances are, they aren't watching IW, they're watching WWE where he is, they buy this and see him, than they start looking at the other wrestlers/matches on their ondemand, than they see the wrestlers you stated, and possibly start watching.

wait?, you mean billboards outside WWE headquarters?, how is CM Punk being advertised on their website outside of their bubble?

It shows that TNA uses WWE guys as a crutch a way to make reliable money, and it overshadows the hard working guys that have been with the company from day one, This Advertisement is a slap in the face of all the established talent who have never worked in the WWE, simple as, and theirs no justification to this.

But that's the whole point, what WWe fan is going to be drawn to TNAonDemand promoting AJ? A WWe fan purchasing TNAonDemand to see the Punk feature however, will have access to any number of AJ's bouts.

I can tell you for a fact that wrestling fans would know who aj styles is, a casual fan however wouldnt give a crap about anyone but Punk, so why bother attempting to draw these guys in?

TNA is beyond bush league...They are NOTHING. Their programming is absolutely pathetic. They couldn't put on a decent TV show to save their life.

They are JUST like WCW. The young guys are the ones who bust their ass. You have all these other guys working 4 dates a month getting paid, that are lazy...LAZY their best matches were 10-25 years ago. Why would they work hard anymore? Just there to get a paycheck.

John Cena could walk out on IMPACT and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to their television show. It sucks. The show sucks. The company sucks. The business end of the company sucks.

AND BACK TO THE CM PUNK TOPIC

They always do this...just because the guy is the biggest star in wrestling right now they feel the need to name drop to try and catch a few bucks or a little ratings boost, when in reality...it looks fucking pathetic.

CM PUNK WAS HERE IN 2003 and 2004! So what? He would NEVER go back again. He is better then that. Guys like Jericho and Batista had the right idea...Don't lower yourself to go to that promotion. TNA is nothing and will never be anything.

Doesn't ROH draw just about the same if not more PAYING people to shows?...Yea...thought so.

Good idea by TNA to strike while the iron is hot with this though I'm sure many will see it as a negative. I'm tough on TNA and the product they put out, but they have certainly stepped up their game as of late and I have to say I'm pretty pleased as a fan with the direction most of the time. Still some goofy stuff from time to time (for example the Knockouts division) but for the most part it's pretty solid stuff these days.

Well, Jose, it was more your rhetorical railings against 'communist Russia' than your odd argument that any company making any action that provokes any profit equates to capitalism at it's finest that provoked my pomposity, but perhaps I didn't need to be rude. I guess I just don't understand what anybody whose opinion is 'it's legal, it makes money, so who are any of us to have an opinion?' has added to this opinion based conversation. Of course both assertions are true... But in my opinion, this is the type of cheap sideshow shit that intimates that this company is not profitable. However, since you seem to be a fan of the Eric bischoff philosophy of 'prove it with financials that are unavailable', I'll rephrase the profitability statement: the company spent millions of dollars to acquire bischoff and hogan, then subsequently added larger salary names like hardy, rvd, and Anderson, increased production values and spent money going live for a short term, only to see similar results in key success indicators like local tv ratings and ppv buys. That a company like the aforementioned has resorted to promoting footage that piggybacks the success of it's sworn enemy comes off as cheap. How does this not come off as cheap to you?

TNA is beyond bush league...They are NOTHING. Their programming is absolutely pathetic. They couldn't put on a decent TV show to save their life.
You came here to say that? Lol. Are you 10?
They are JUST like WCW. The young guys are the ones who bust their ass. You have all these other guys working 4 dates a month getting paid, that are lazy...LAZY their best matches were 10-25 years ago. Why would they work hard anymore? Just there to get a paycheck.
Cool story bro.
John Cena could walk out on IMPACT and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to their television show. It sucks. The show sucks. The company sucks. The business end of the company sucks.
:lmao:

AND BACK TO THE CM PUNK TOPIC

They always do this...just because the guy is the biggest star in wrestling right now they feel the need to name drop to try and catch a few bucks or a little ratings boost, when in reality...it looks fucking pathetic.
Really? Not sure they care about your opinion.
CM PUNK WAS HERE IN 2003 and 2004! So what? He would NEVER go back again. He is better then that. Guys like Jericho and Batista had the right idea...Don't lower yourself to go to that promotion. TNA is nothing and will never be anything.
Their the #2 promotion in America...How are they nothing? :confused:
Doesn't ROH draw just about the same if not more PAYING people to shows?...Yea...thought so.
:lmao:

Can anyone realize now why people don't like WWE fans?

Well, Jose, it was more your rhetorical railings against 'communist Russia' than your odd argument that any company making any action that provokes any profit equates to capitalism at it's finest that provoked my pomposity, but perhaps I didn't need to be rude. I guess I just don't understand what anybody whose opinion is 'it's legal, it makes money, so who are any of us to have an opinion?' has added to this opinion based conversation. Of course both assertions are true... But in my opinion, this is the type of cheap sideshow shit that intimates that this company is not profitable. However, since you seem to be a fan of the Eric bischoff philosophy of 'prove it with financials that are unavailable', I'll rephrase the profitability statement: the company spent millions of dollars to acquire bischoff and hogan, then subsequently added larger salary names like hardy, rvd, and Anderson, increased production values and spent money going live for a short term, only to see similar results in key success indicators like local tv ratings and ppv buys. That a company like the aforementioned has resorted to promoting footage that piggybacks the success of it's sworn enemy comes off as cheap. How does this not come off as cheap to you?

Fair enough, and I was not acting all that cordial either, so you definitely do not deserve complete blame on this topic going in the direction it has. And as far as rudeness on these forums go, I am no one to talk, just ask Brian In Austin. The way I look at it fuck it man, I've more than had issue with other posters on here and believe it or not, I've actually learned to co-exist with a few that I disagree with. So it's all good, if I'm going to dish it out, I better be ready to take it! LOL! Like I had said in my replies, if I was running the company myself, I don't know if marketing CM Punk's matches despite his current push would be what I would want to do. However, it's within their legal means to do so, therefore I don't have issue with it in that sense. Whether I think it's in the company's best interests or not, well that's not for me to say since I am not in a position to make decisions for the company's business practices.

I only made the Communist Russia joke because well, a lot of people's initial reactions to it just seem so preposterous that the more acerbic side of me just came out. It's a bad habit of mine that I won't lie about. Either way, not that you need my validation or anything but I definitely understand your points as to why you might have issue with TNA's approach to this. I took the Adam Smith comment a little personally, however that reference does show that you are someone with an intelligent point despite my disagreement with your last post.

Again, I just do my best to be of the mind that whether I agree with what TNA does or not, I'm not going to sit here and rattle off such vitriol laden comments like other posters have done.

I can tell you for a fact that wrestling fans would know who aj styles is, a casual fan however wouldnt give a crap about anyone but Punk, so why bother attempting to draw these guys in?

I'd actually be more wary of mark / smark fans not showing interest in the remaining programming than casual fans because they don't carry the same preconceptions as many of us in the IWC. Like in the days of the Monday Night Wars, die-hards stuck by WCW or the WWF but casual fans happily switched channels. In fact by saying that they "wouldn't give a crap about anyone but Punk" you are pretty much defining a mark.

To all WWE fanboys, marks, smarks and any and all other generally brainwashed and/or annoying and biased "fans" of professional wrestling:

In light of all this backlash and rage surrounding TNA's choice to showcase footage of CM Punk from when he performed for the company back in 2003/04 I'd just like to say that any of you who are so close-minded to think that TNA is pathetic, stupid or wrong for doing this, you are the ones who are just that, not TNA.

1. On being pathetic:

They are capitalizing on the hottest name in the company, regardless of whether he currently works for them or the competition. You might call that pathetic, but I call it good business. Even if it makes more money for WWE, so long as it makes a dollar for TNA it was the right decision. Last I checked the purpose of a business was to make money (profit), so I fail to see the logic in making money being "pathetic" if by all legal rights you have every right to do what you are doing in the hopes of cashing in. So again, you might call it pathetic, but some might call you the same for seemingly going to any length to chastise a growing company who happens to be competing with your "favorite" product.

2. On being stupid:

As I noted already, this is a business decision, so so long as it makes them a dollar, it cannot be stupid as they are profiting from the decision. Profit rarely equates stupidity.

3. On being wrong:

Seeing as they own the footage and that CM Punk's name is not a trademark or copyright to WWE, they can't be "wrong" in their choice to use his name to drive traffic/sales to TNAOnDemand.​

In addition to this, I've seen a number of you cite that issues like this are the "very thing wrong with TNA" in that they always have and/or continue to push ex-WCW/WWE personnel, almost always before "homegrown" options, as if the term "homegrown" actually has any realistic value…

Homegrown means the performer was essentially "drafted" where they are still performing, which means they never spent time elsewhere in any other major company prior to joining the company in which they are being pushed as a star.

So to the concept of all of this being "what's wrong with TNA", I'm curious… if "homegrown" talent is the only talent a company should push, why exactly are you heralding WWE in the first place, especially over their decision to push CM Punk of all people, when even he is not "homegrown" in any sense of the word?

Quick history lesson for you: CM Punk is a former ROH World Champion and ROH World Tag Team Champion which means he's been a major star elsewhere before joining WWE. That makes him "ex-ROH" talent, which negates the concept for him to be "homegrown", regardless of whether or not he cut his teeth in WWE's minor leagues or their D-rate programing (WWECW). Hell, he even worked in TNA before he joined WWE, so I'm curious… what makes him so different that it's OK to champion WWE for their decision to push a non-homegrown talent but TNA is (always) wrong when they push ex-WWE/WCW talent? This, my friends, is the clear cut definition of hypocrisy.

hy·poc·ri·sy [hi-pok-ruh-see]
— noun, plural -sies.

1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess

Worse yet, this doesn't even end (or begin) with CM Punk. Just to list out a few more active cases: R Truth (otherwise known as Ron Killings) is a former NWA/TNA World Heavyweight Champion, so what business does he have at the forefront of WWE? He's not homegrown, after all, and we all know only homegrown talent is what belongs at the forefront of any successful company, right? What business does he have carrying around a championship belt no less?

Still not enough? How about Big Show (ex-WCW), Brian Danielson (ex-ROH), Kharma (ex-TNA) and Rey Mysterio (ex-WCW) among others? None, by your very definition of stars needing to be "homegrown" have any business at the forefront of anything WWE, so if you're going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, I hope you realize you're throwing out a lot more than you may think.

Just a few words of advice: if you're going to continue to call the kettle black in the future, best to do so once you've made sure you're not actually the pot.

Onward and upward, friends. Onward and upward.

— IDR

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back