Desmond Wolfe
Jack Swagger
John Morrison
Matt Morgan
Mark Henry
Maryse
Sheamus

Remember: This is in the Non-Spam Section

Kingston blew me away this year, winning against Orton multiple times to cement himself as a potential big name player. But it was not because of Orton, it was because of his incredible change in character, turning deranged. The man is great in the ring, great at his sports, and great on the mic. He is the brightest star in the WWE at this time right now, breaking out from a low mid card guy to have a great run as the US Champ to his new slot in the upper mid card.

Yeah, I have to agree TM. Kofi Kingston has been awesome this year. Just look at his year, he was a scheduled member of the Elimination Chamber match way back at No Way Out. From there he went on to beat MVP for the U.S. title and had one hell of a title run, one for the ages if you ask me. From their he has entered into a feud with Randy Orton that has literally turned him into one of the big players on raw.

The man has just been do great this year and that takes nothing away from the other guys you listed. If Kofi had not entered into this feud with Orton my choice would have been Matt Morgan, but Kofi has been much better then Morgan, in my opinion.

I agree with everyone saying Kofi. He really had two breakout moments. He first was doing exceptional in the mid card and won the IC title, looking impressive. This really solidified him, and he maintained that for quite a bit. Recently, though, his feud with Randy gave him an amazing rub. He looked absolutely terrific in this feud, and I think he's now higher on the card as a result. He made some pretty big leaps, so my vote is also for Kingston.

This is really a tough call for me. There are really 3 or 4 guys that it comes down to for me. Kingston, Miz, Morrison, and Wolfe. Each man has done extremely well for himself this year. Having a huge impact on each of their respective companies and brands.

Wolfe has had probably one of the biggest breakthroughs of the year. He's came into TNA just over a month ago and started a great program with Angle. He's already given us some very good moments. However, he's well as he's done I can't give it to him since he's been there for a short amount of time. I want to see that he can stay at the level that he's at. I have no doubt that he will, but until then I can't say he's had the best breakthrough.

We all saw Morrison was going to get his push in time. We knew that he was going to be great once he was able to shine, and look at what he's done. He's become the IC champ, beaten the World Heavyweight champ. Has had and great feud with Ziggler, and really given us a lot of entertaining match on Smackdown.

Then you have Miz. This guy has done a remarkable job this year. When he and Morrison were broken up at the draft many people thought that Miz was done for. Look what he's done since that point. Had a feud with Cena, then went on to take the U.S. Title and holding that title for several months now. He' beaten Morrison seemly at every turn. Which is something many of us didn' think would happen. He has had a great year, but I don't think it's the best.

That goes to Kingston. What a year he's had. Starting of we really didn't know what direction he was going in. But we knew he could put on a great match. He had a great performance in the MITB really carrying a lot of the moments in that match. Then he had a great reign with the U.S. Title. From their he kinda got lost for a bit till he popped up with his feud with Orton. That has been nothing short of amazing. He has stepped over from midcarder and is now in my eyes a main eventer. Orton has to get a lot of props in my book for helping putting him over as much as he has. Things are going to be very interesting to see where Kofi goes next year. Maybe a World title reign maybe in store.

If Punk wasn't on the list, I wouldn't vote for him. Seems like an obvious thing to say but it had to be said. For some reason.

If we can count CM Punk's... renaissance this year as a breakthrough, then it's absolutely breakthrough of the year. Kofi Kingston's been all right but he hasn't really phased me. The Miz had a few interesting things to say to Cena but has sent me into a doze since. Morrison gets a good pop because he can do some flips, but I can't help but ask; where's the substance?

Punk started the year... I'm not sure where. That's how much I didn't give a shit. I expect he was somewhere in the midcard. He then won the Money in the Bank. I was irritated; surely Christian should have won it? Then he feuded with Kane and Umaga. The former was crap, the latter was quite good - but what did it matter, he was still just a midcarder. Then he cashed that bad boy in, stole Jeff Hardy's moment in the spotlight and over the coming months pulled off the gradual heel turn that somehow, some way lived up to the hype. He proceeded to be the reason I still watched wrestling.

Punk's breakthrough from being not much to talk about to being the best thing about professional wrestling is why he gets my vote. Maybe he can do the same next year.

The best breakthrough performance this year was Kofi Kingston. Earlier in the year he was defending the US title against large groups of random other midcarders. Now he is approaching Main Event level. All he needed was a small change and he has skyrocketed. The Miz had a breakthrough this year too since he was viewed as the "Marty Jannetty" of Miz & Morrison and tried to prove the fans wrong about that, but I say that Kofi improved more because Kofi has now proved himself as being ready to one day be a main eventer and possible world champion someday and Miz hasn't yet.

Kofi Kingston for me and its not even close too me. He had a pretty good U.S championship reign even managing to retain it in plenty of multi man match ups but then ultimately losing to The Miz, after this I thought he was going too drift into the back ground until Randy Orton threw him off the stage which then lit a fire inside off Kofi which made Kofi destroy Orton's new car, which then has resulted into a really good fued where we have seen a different side from Kofi even Boom Dropping Orton threw a table in one of the best moments of the year.

I had to agree with Sam and go with Punk. Kingston been okay but he hasn't really stood out to me except for these last couple of months. I forgot what Punk was doing in the start of the year and then winning MITB and cashing on Jeff Hardy at that time was great. Then, he had what could arguably be the feud of the year and a great heel turn. Kofi may get it next year but I don't think he should win it this year.

Hmm, I accidentally voted for Miz. Guess I can live with that, he's had a great year so far.

At the beginning of the year Miz was in Miz and Morrison and everyone thought he was the dead weight of the team. After they split WWE choose Miz to break the tag team, showing they had big things for him. He then called out Cena every night until Summerslam where he was in the second to last match of the PPV. After his feud with Cena he got a catchphrase, changed his attire, and even got a new finisher. This showed Miz was looking to the future. He won the United States title and has been "awesome" the rest of the year.

While Kofi has stolen many of the breakthrough headlines in recent months with his feud with Orton, the real breakthrough of the year is unveiling of "Better Than You" CM Punk.

While he had been a champion in past years, he never got the chance to show the world what he could really do as a character and on the mic. His feud with Jeff Hardy was sensational all round - promos, in-ring action and of course his masquerading as Hardy on Smackdown!

There have been other breakthroughs such as Kofi, Morrison and Miz but there is only one winner and he is Straight Edge

Kofi Kingston has had a good two months. However, it was out of nowhere and he looked to be an undercard guy for life until this feud with Orton came up. We're still not sure that this heat will last forever.

Punk, on the other hand, actually broke through. Shitty booking killed an otherwise promising main event run for him in 2008 and then he fell back to the midcard. And while Punk is a midcarder again at the end of 2009 in some people's eyes, the difference is he's in the Jericho/Benoit-type midcarder role now. He's on the other side of the glass, bringing R-Truth and Gallows and the bunch up to his level. Punk made it to the other side this year and stayed there. It's what nobody else on the list has done, no matter how good their year has been. Punk has become the star we all knew he could (but never thought he'd allowed to) be.

I think the two most viable candidates for this have to be CM Punk and Kofi Kingston.

As far as Punk goes, he just really elevated his game to an entirely different level. In a very short time, Punk goes from being a popular babyface to being one of the best heels in wrestling today. His matches with Jeff Hardy have been some of the best of the year in any organization, his promos have been top notch and I think that the sky is the limit for him. Now, supposedly, the WWE is using Punk right not to try and build up R-Truth, which makes me think that the WWE does still have being things in mind for Punk. While his feud with the Undertaker hasn't been the epic I was hoping it'd be, it did make Punk's stock as a heel go way up. Some don't like the screwjob ending they had in the submission match at Bragging Rights, but I loved it because it only drew more heat for Punk.

Kofi Kingston's rise has happend so quickly and I don't think very many people expected it. After he was originally jumped by Orton on the Raw following Breaking Point, I figured that nothing would come of it. When they showed Kofi on the Titantron trashing Orton's stock car, while giving a great promo at the same time, I was blown away. I knew that Kofi was an energetic guy that got the fans into him and was exciting to watch in the ring. He'd been a very good United States Champion and all, but I never saw the kind of potential in him that he showed that night. Since then, his stock has only continued to rise and his feud with Randy Orton is one of the best going right now. Everything about it feels like a breath of fresh air and everytime these two do something, I can't wait for the next Raw to see what they do next.

Kofi has come a very long way over the past few months but, ultimately, I don't think it quite compares with CM Punk's year. I can't blame anyone for voting for Kofi, it's been an exciting few months for him and he does keep getting better. It's easy to vote for him I think because Punk has kind of cooled off a little, he's not quite the focus of attention in the ME scene that he was earlier in the year. But, overall, I've got to give Punk my vote. Kofi has had a great few months, Punk has had a great year.

Rey Mysterio

Why is Mysterio, Jr., on this list? He's always been a great wrestler. Supposedly, he gets paid about a million dollars a year by WWE. His in-ring performances definitely justify this amount of money.

This guy blows. He should switch positions with Santino and be the comedic jobber of WWE. This man not only ruined The Real World for me, but he also plays a significant part in my current indifference towards WWE. Why they decided to give this man a mid-card push after feeding him to Cena, I'll never know. Kingston is probably doing so good in his feud with Orton right now because WWE had to salvage his reputation somehow after he lost the US Title to The Miz.

I couldn't stand this guy last year, but, he has done amazingly well for himself since going to Smackdown! He may get my vote.

Kofi Kingston

Decent wrestler, but, I think he sucks on the mic. It's too bad that WWE doesn't want to push Mark Henry or MVP instead of Kingston. Also, it's too bad that Consequences Creed isn't taller; it you want an African-American professional wrestling sensation, look for a taller Consequences Creed.

Zach Ryder

I like this guy, but, I don't watch ECW. Is he still around? I hope so. This guy has great, main-event heel written all over him.

Desmond Wolfe

Meh.

Jack Swagger

He should have gotten The Miz's push instead. Good wrestler who doesn't need to be good on the mic to get over as a heel; man, WWE is always dropping the ball with these guys!

John Morrison

Could someone get this man some new fucking pants, please? Good wrestler, but, he's essentially the same guy who was part of the most overrated tag team ever. WWE gave Ryder a makeover, why can't this poor bastard get one too?

Matt Morgan

The only current wrestler that's worse than The Miz.

Mark Henry

This man should have gotten Kingston's push. Him being ECW Champion did wonders for his career. Too bad WWE didn't want to capitalize on the momentum he built up when being drafted to RAW alongside Jack Swagger and Evan Bourne.

Another mediocre female wrestler. She'd probably be good if she wasn't bumping uglies with The Miz; his suckitude may literally be rubbing off on her.

This guy would have been great back in the 90s, when they still had local jobbers and a couple of JTTSs on reserve. I hope WWE has a plan for him after he gets fed to Cena. If they were smart, they'd have him win the belt off of Cena, and then have Cena win it back in some controversial fashion, thus prompting a tournament for the WWE Championship.

Mysterio is not a breakthrough when he won the title that was his breakthrough plus he is hurt all the time. Punk is great and has gotten better but i think his breakthrough was 2008. Kofi is my choice because he is just now becomng a main event player here in 2009

Rey Mysterio: I really don't why Rey is on the list, the only thing he accomplished was beating JBL in 9 seconds to win the IC title at Wrestlemania. I will admit though he has had some good matches with Ziggler. He has just been on the injured list too long for me to care about him.

The Miz: The Miz had improved leaps and bounds since he was drafted to Raw. He actually had a feud with John Cena, even though some of the matches were squash matches. He beat Kofi to become US Champion and even beat IC champ John Morrison.

CM Punk: Punk started out to become the breakthrough star of the year with his heel turn and feud with Jeff Hardy and The Undertaker. Now though he hasn't done much since he lost the WHC. He is feuding with referees and Matt Hardy.

Kofi Kingston: Kofi has been on a roll lately, but we have to see where this will go after his feud with Orton.

Zack Ryder: I can't get pass his horrible ring attire and his awful entrance music to notice anything special about this guy.

Desmond Wolfe: This would be my pic if Wolfe would of come in sooner. So far though he has had a good feud with Angle and nothing but quality matches. His promos are hit and miss, but he does have good mic skills to pull it off.

Jack Swagger: I wish we could say he was a breakout star, but WWE has decided he isn't. After jobbing to Evan Bourne, Swagger hasn't been on television for weeks. He had a good feud with Christian, drafted to Raw, started an undefeated streak, then lost cleanly too many times to Bourne and Miz. It's a shame.

John Morrison: John Morrison has started to breakthrough, but he still isn't there yet.

Matt Morgan: Morgan was headed in the right direction with his feud with Angle, but being on a losing team against Team 3D and Rhino isn't helping him.

Mark Henry: Here is a guy that got a huge reaction when he was drafted on Raw and pinned Orton. Now he is a joke. Him and MVP are time fillers, don't get me started about his lame attempt at rapping.

Maryse: Besides her looks, I really don't have anything good to say about her. I can barely understand her promos, and she can't even have a 2 minute match without passing out.

Sheamus: It is nice and refreshing to see young blood in the main event, but its too soon with Sheamus. He hasn't done anything to prove himself. He has beaten up timekeepers, 60 year old announcers, and Jamie Noble. He had a feud with Goldust a few months ago. He won a battle royal and he is now a contender? I don't buy it and neither does the majority of fans. He could become a threat someday, but it's too early to rush him in the main event now.

OTHER: This may surprise a few, but my vote is for Orton. Except for his untimely loss to Triple H at Wrestlemania, he has been on a role. No matter who he faces, whether it be Cena, Triple H, or Kofi, he has always carried his own with them. He has helped make Kofi into a star, and actually received more cheers then Cena during their bouts. Orton to me has had a breakthrough performance this year, and should be superstar of the year.

I voted for the Miz for a few reasons. The guy got a chance to have a main event type match with John Cena after being moved from ECW to RAW. That really set the tone, despite losing to Cena. It showed that he had the moxy to mix it up with a former WWE Champion. Then he went on to have a good feud with Kofi Kingston and ultimately captured the United States Championship. I like the guy's mic skills and just like Kurt Angles "You Suck" during his music, he has a catch phrase for fans to hate on "I'm the Miz...and I'm Awesome (Awful as said by the fans)." I understand that people will want to vote for Kofi Kingston, but to me, the Miz went from just being a low card tag champion to a mid-to-high card heel. Kofi won't have that chance because of guys like DX and Cena.

In a year where the WWE FINALLY decided to pay attention to their midcard talent, this is a very tough call. And at the same time, it's no surprise that TNA really utilized the MEM to push the young blood.

Kofi Kingston went through somewhat of a metamorphasis in the past few months and has added a personality to his amazing in-ring prowess. The Miz went singles and has been on a tear both in the ring and on the microphone. CM Punk really showed why he was the undisputed king of the indies, especially during his feud with Jeff Hardy. Matt Morgan has good matches with Kurt Angle and really turned things up, but has fizzled a bit as of late. And John Morrison is just plain incredible. His current run with the IC title has really turned heads.

This is a tough call, but I have to go with CM Punk. He's the only person that I can truly say grasped the balance of the important factors that mnake a great pro-wrestler... a great gimmick, great mic work, and great in-ring skill. His straight-edge preaching is an instant heat-generator, anytime he grabs the microphone I shut off the world around me to listen, and there is no doubting that the guy puts on incredible matches.

CM Punk wins by a line of coke.

The Miz should win this award, and it's rather simple. When he was drafted to Raw everyone thought he was going to be a jobber, and more than likely released by the end of 2009. But it hasn't worked that way. He ended up attacking Jo Mo and going over Jo Mo several times. Most notably at Breaking Point. He had a good feud with Cena, which elevated Miz and made him a serious contender to the US title. Which he eventually won. The Miz has worked his way up through the ranks and now he is one of the better heels in the business, and he's only going to get better because he wants to get better. Kofi was good, but I knew he had this in him, he just had to get rid of that stupid fake accent. Another reason I went with the Miz is because he's been more consistent and Kofi only became amazing like a month ago. You can't go wrong voting for Kingston but I believe the Miz deserves this award because no one ever expected him to get over the way he has. Pretty much Rock-esque.

Well, me and Marquis knew he had it in him...

Miz, Punk, Kingston and Sheamus (yes, I like Sheamus) all had pretty stellar years and have entertained the hell out of me. However, when it comes to wrestling, I live and breathe ROH, so my vote automatically goes to the newest ROH alumni: Nigel McGuiness playing the role of Desmond Wolfe. He is solely responsible for RVDgurl once again tuning into TNA Impact on a weekly basis. TNA snatched him up and threw him into a gigantic fued with one of the greatest wrestlers on the planet. Nigel has made one hell of an impact in TNA and I'm loving it.

The Miz popped out as soon as the page loaded. He went from being a solid part of a solid tag team, to finally winning the US title. Just in time for him to have a great semi-feud with his former partner. He has done well so far defending himself. I wanted to give this to Morgan, but what have TNA done with him since BFG... Nothing. Miz, is at least successfully defending on Raw, even if not a ppv, its something.

The Miz.

You only need to look at how little Morrison has evolved as a performer and personality to realize how far The Miz has come. From awful worker who stumbles over his words to an ok competitor who's pretty good on the mic.

People wanted to see him face Cena, even if it didn't turn out how people had hoped. You can't say the same for many other nobody wrestlers.

Definitely Kofi Kingston.

I always thought he was talented, but I could never take him seriously with all his smiling and "Bop! Bop! Bop!" crap. That shit just disgusted me, because every time he made his ridiculous entrance to the ring, it was just a reminder how much WWE is trying to attract children to their product, rather than fans my age, and that's something that is hard to stomach, especially when it comes to a performer you know could offer us much more than he's able to because of WWE's hope to attract kids.

However, since he started feuding with Randy Orton... this guy has been absolutely fantastic. Now that I can take him seriously, I can enjoy his work, and let me tell you, he hasn't disappointed me once throughout his feud with Orton. Every week he comes out and shows so much more promise and potential than he did the week before. I really believe this guy has a hell of a future ahead of him, and it all started this year, which is why he's my Breakthrough Wrestler of the Year.

I went with Sheamus, simply for the win last night. Sure, I still think he's rather shit, but he's a little less shit now than he was at first. Plus, he'll always be recognized as "former world champion" for the rest of his career. That'll at least unsure him a decade of employment and TV time throughout. Even if he just gets the Kane treatment, that's better than nothing.

Kofi is definetly second. He went from a random midcarder to someone on the verge on the main event with one feud. He's way over with the crowd and should be making some waves next year as well.

The Miz is my breakthrough star of the year. Now I know the majority of people here are picking Kofi. Yes Kofi has had a phenomenal year as well... BUT PEOPLE EXPECTED HIM TO. If you were to "star most likely to break out in 2009" back in late 2008, his name would likely win. NO ONE (myself included, I won't lie) expected anything from Miz. When he split from Morrison, we all figured Morrison would be the break out star and Miz would be on the future endeavored list by year's end. He has involved into, dare I say it, a bigger star then Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back