• Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio: The Bash

• Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio: Extreme Rules

• John Cena v. Jack Swagger: Raw

• CM Punk v. Jeff Hardy: Summerslam

• Morrison v. Mysterio: Intercontinental Title on Smackdown

• CM Punk v. Jeff Hardy: Title vs. Career - 8/28 Smackdown

• Undertaker v. Shawn Michaels: Wrestlemania

• Jeff Hardy v. Matt Hardy: Wrestlemania

• Rey Mysterio v. Jeff Hardy v. Chris Jericho v. Kane: Smackdown, Number One Contenders Match

• AJ Styles v. Matt Morgan III

• Bryan Danielson v. Naruki Doi, Dragon Gate USA: Untouchable

• Melina v. Michelle McCool: Night of Champions

• AJ v. Joe v. Daniels

• Cena versus Orton: Iron Man

• OTHER (Please Specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Nominees:

Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio: The Bash
Chris Jericho v. Rey Mysterio: Extreme Rules
John Cena v. Jack Swagger
CM Punk v. Jeff Hardy: Summerslam
Morrison v. Mysterio: Intercontinental Title on Smackdown
CM Punk v. Jeff Hardy: Title vs. Career - 8/28 Smackdown
Undertaker v. Shawn Michaels: Wrestlemania
Jeff Hardy v. Matt Hardy: Wrestlemania
Rey Mysterio v. Jeff Hardy v. Chris Jericho v. Kane: Smackdown, Number One Contenders Match
AJ Styles v. Matt Morgan III
Melina v. Michelle McCool: Night of Champions
Bryan Danielson v. Naruki Doi, Dragon Gate USA: Untouchable
AJ v. Joe v. Daniels
Cena versus Orton: Iron Man

Remember: This is in the Non-Spam Section

I have a feeling that Undertaker versus Shawn Michaels will be getting a lot of votes, so I ask you to go rewatch the match without the use of drugs. You will see how incredible dull it truly was. The Hardy match was a lot better, but the best match of the year did not happen at Wrestlemania.

The match that I loved was a match that a lot of people hated. It was the Iron Man match. People doubted Cena and Orton being able to go 60 minutes, but I must say they proved those people wrong, putting on an excellent match, that is by far the most underrated. People criticize the ending, but I thought it was what needed to happen.

I have a feeling that Undertaker versus Shawn Michaels will be getting a lot of votes, so I ask you to go rewatch the match without the use of drugs. You will see how incredible dull it truly was.

Completely agree. I've said it so many times that it's just getting old but Michaels/Taker was just signature move, rest, signature move, rest, signature move, rest - rinse and repeat. What's so great about that? The match had fuck all substance.

The Hardy match was a lot better, but the best match of the year did not happen at Wrestlemania.

I agree with that too; my favourite match on the card.

My match of the year was Jeff Hardy and CM Punk in TLC. It was, for my money, the best TLC match ever. We've had some good ones over the years but this one really was great. It even outdid the one with Edge in. Y'know, the one where they'd both been in lots of ladder matches and shit and so it was bound to be great. It was decent.

I've got to find my initial post on the match. I'll be back once I do. Or I might just not come back. Wait here.

The best match of 2009 was HBK VS Taker at Wrestlemania 25. Although the Cena VS Orton Iron Man match is a close second. HBK VS Taker was one of the best, if not THE best, matches I have ever seen. There are few matches that can live up to their hype when they are overhyped as much as this match was, but it even went beyond those expectations. HBK VS Taker is easily the best match of 2009 because it was two of the greatest of all time going at it in one of the best matches ever.

Chirs Jericho vs Rey Mysterio at The Bash, Title vs Mask. Jericho had only won the title 3 weeks before hard and told Rey the only way he could get a rematch was to risk his mask. I honestly thought Jericho had it a few times during the match then Rey managed to get the win. I can't remember if it was their best of their many matches this year but this one is the one I remember the most.

The other two matches that have been voted for atm, Punk vs Hardy at Summerslam and Taker vs HBK at WM25. I found the TLC boring besides the last few minutes where Jeff jumped and Punk climbed for the win. Taker vs HBK wasn't as great as people praise it to be.

Only reason why Undertaker/HBK is considered so great is because the rest of the Wrestemania card wasn't up to par save Hardy vs. Hardy. Like Sam said, the match was half signature moves and half laying around but of course praise has to be thrown around concerning this match where it should be thrown somewhere else.

I liked the Summerslam TLC match the best. The best TLC match involving two competitors in my opinion. Jeff Hardy did what will probably be the OMG moment of the year and Punk showed he had what it took in one of the biggest PPV's of the year.

This is a difficult one. HBK/Taker at WM stands out just for the build-up and the emotion involved in it all. But I have to agree to a certain extent that the weakness of the WM card makes this stand out more than it should.

The Jericho/Mysterio feud produced many fine efforts while anything involving Samoa Staniels is special. As much as I loved the Punk/Hardy feud, I don't think any of their encounters reached MOTY.

That leaves Cena vs Orton Iron Man as my match of the year. I was very reticient to watch this when it was announced as I thought it would be a snoozefest but between the two (plus Legacy and Kofi) they put on a fine show. Perhaps not the most technical of matches but as long as it is enjoyable, it does not need to be.

I suprisingly talked myself into going with other. Who? What? When? Where? Why?

Who:
Chris Jericho vs Ricky Steamboat.

What:
You mean? That washed up pulp of a man Ricky Steamboat has your pick for Match of the Year? Yup, he sure does. The man was absolutely fantastic, and certainly hasn't missed a step in his wrestling abilities. Any time Ricky Steamboat, argueably one of the best professional wrestlers steps into the ring, its something VERY special.

When:
Backlash, 2009.

Where:
I forgot.

Why:
Chris Jericho put on one hell of a match, and carried Steamboat throughout most of the match. Steamboat hit all of his old, legendary spots, and bam. You have yourself the match of the year in the best wrestler of this decade, Jerichio, with one of the best wrestler ever. Ricky Steamboat.

Well my vote went to the match-up between Bryan Danielson and Naruki Doi from Dragon Gate USA's second PPV, Untouchable. Which would make sense because I'm the one who nominated it. While the second show wasn't as strong as their first one, this match is the best that the promotion has produced thus far in my opinion, and this really is a match that I hope more people would watch, especially now that Danielson is set to debut in the WWE. Gabe Sapolsky continues to prove that he's probably the best booker in the independent circuit with not only this match but pretty much this entire promotion's run thus far. Everything you'd want in a match was here...great storytelling, psychology, entertaining spots that flowed perfectly and made sense, stiff shots, suplexes, submissions, man it was a clinic. Great match up and likely the best wrestling match of the year.

That said, I was very close to voting for CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy at Summerslam as well. It's not so much that it was such a great gimmick match, it was just absolute perfect storytelling in a match up with both men playing their roles absolutely perfectly, the match even had a truly memorable spot (something hard to accomplish these days) in the GIGANTIC swanton bomb that Hardy gave to Punk on the announcers table. That match also probably entertained me the most of any this year, watching it live was the most fun I've had watching a wrestling match in years. I'm a big Punk mark so I was genuinely excited and enthralled that Punk had won, even if I did see the 'Taker return coming a mile away (they executed that a bit creatively as well though).

And I'm sure HBK-Taker will get a ton of votes and probably win. I don't agree with that, but so be it. Don't get me wrong, damn good match, possibly even great. But the two matches above were better IMO.

I implore all of you however to watch this match when you get the time, and take it into consideration on this poll. It's a phenomenal one.

Well, I am one of those people who voted for HBK vs Taker at WM as EASILY the best match of the year. It wasn't just the match, which was phenomenal, it was everything about it. The buildup to the match had some of the best promos of the year with HBK in the Graveyard, and HBK imitating Taker with the white trench coat and hat. It had one of the most insanely awesome build-up videos before the match. I seriously grin and get goosebumps watching it, with the music and tone being just perfect. It had the best entrances. While Taker's entrance is always awesome, watching Michaels come down from the ceiling was so cool as well, and a nice playoff from Taker's entrance out of the ground. The match had some of the best crowd energy I have ever seen. Every time I watch the match I notice some new NUT in the crowd going absolutely insane over it! It was not just big move...rest.....big move.....rest.....The match was a clinic on how to buildup emotion through your actions in the ring, and how to get the crowd to hang on your every move. The match had some of the best Announcing of the year. I laugh every time the King goes "IM FREAKIN POSSIBLE" when HBK kicks out of The Last Ride! You had HBK kicking out of the Tombstone! How many people have ever done that? Kane? So like Once before? You really thought when watching the match that HBK might actually win and end the streak which was amazing. You had Taker's botched? leap over the top where he leaves a dent in the matting with his head. I have no idea how he got up after that! The match was so good it had people chanting "THIS IS AWESOME" near the end of it! Yeah, HBK vs Taker is EASILY the best match of the year, and it is probably the best match I have seen since HBK vs Angle at Wrestlemania 21.

Punk and Hardy was a good match at Summerslam. Undertaker vs. Michaels is definitely one of the best WWE has had as well. I voted for Daniels, AJ, Joe 2 as far as technical ability goes. There wasn't much of a story compared to Taker/Shawn and Punk/Hardy, but it was still a good match.

My ultimate pick though isn't even up there. I would voted hands down Angle vs. AJ Styles on Impact. That match was 20 minutes of pure action. Definitely the best match on Impact this year. The first match between Angle and Wolfe would of been a good contender too. It was definitely more impressive then Melina vs. McCool at least.

HBK vs. Taker at WM, easily. It had nothing to do with the fact that most of the WM card was lackluster, it was just a great match. The match told a story, something that most matches don't do these days. It's true that the match contained a lot of signature moves, but that's part of what made it great for me. These two came in and kept hitting each other with everything they had. They threw their biggest guns at one another and kept coming back for more. The look on the Undertaker's face when HBK kicked out of the Tombstone, the disbelief and the look of defeat etched in his eyes was just flawless.

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time with a knot in my stomach. The streak looked to be in serious jeopardy and both men wanted it. The match was about pride first and foremost. Both men have been thought of as the biggest stars of WrestleMania. HBK, who has often had the best matches at Mania even when not in the main event, a guy that often does steal the show with his matches. The Undertaker, probably the most respected wrestler in the business today, another guy we all grew up watching, delivered numerous memorable moments over his career, had never been beaten at WM.

The build up was great if you just consider the history between these two. Neither had ever claimed a solid victory over the other. I think Taker won in a few tag matches and all, HBK always came out ahead of Taker via outside interference and their matches were always great. I knew that the match would have an epic feel to it because there was always this hint of unfinished business between the two while the WWE was building it up.

As I said, the match told a story. It wasn't some overrated spotfest filled with spotmonkeys. It was the final epic clash of two legends that will probably never wrestle one another again.

I guess for me, it comes down to two options at the two biggest shows of the year for WWE: HBK vs. Taker at Wrestlemania 25 and CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy TLC at SummerSlam. At Wrestlemania, you had such a good build between "The Streak" and "Mr. Wrestlemania". You don't expect Undertaker to lose, but the fact that Shawn does so well every year at 'Mania had you wondering. I love the fact that they milked the finishing moves, hitting them several times without pinfalls. That drew suspense and kept me in it. Really loved the match.

I do wish that one addition would be made to the list, that being Edge vs. Hardy at Extreme Rules in the Ladder Match. Those two did a great job and had a fantastic match and finish. That is just my opinion.

Going to the other match of my choice, the TLC between CM Punk and Jeff Hardy. The two put on a clinic and really showed the hatred that was captured in the feud between the two with conflicting lifestyles.

Although I'm a huge HBK mark and believe he is probably the second greatest wrestler of all time, short of Ric Flair, I will give the nod to the TLC between Punk and Hardy.

Being that I'm a wrestling fan of 25+ years, not many matches make me jump out of my seat and my jaw drop to the floor. You think you've seen it all until you see a match like Taker vs. HBK from Wrestlemania. Two incredible workers took a last minute, crappy storyline and turned it into one of the most important matches on the stacked card. I was proud to have witnessed the match and I'll remember it for years to come.

Only reason why Undertaker/HBK is considered so great is because the rest of the Wrestemania card wasn't up to par save Hardy vs. Hardy.

That’s funny. I honestly don’t think that has anything to fucking do with why the match is considered great. Did you ever think that there are other people who actually enjoyed Wrestlemania except for a few matches and still consider it a great match because they were entertained by it? Really though, that’s a ridiculous argument. Even if every other matches were good, this match would probably be considered great…because that’s what it was to many people.

I really don’t give a fuck about what people are saying about the Undertaker/Michaels match from WM25. It was damn good to me. And that’s why I’m voting for it. Sure, I knew ‘Taker would win the match beforehand, but I don’t remember the last time I was entertained by a match like that. It was great from beginning to end I think. It told a great story throughout all of it and it kept fans interested.

There have been a lot of incredible matches from this year such as Jericho vs. Mysterio on Smackdown and their pay per view matches, there’s also the Angle-AJ match that Jack-Hammer mentioned, and many other ones. But I think that ‘Taker/Michaels was better than every other match in the poll…excluding the Danielson match since I haven’t seen it.

I also think Angle/Morgan a month or so ago was a great match as well. Morgan had has best TNA match against Angle in my opinion and he went move for move with him. After the end, Angle raised Morgan's hand which I thought was a great sign of respect.

That’s funny. I honestly don’t think that has anything to fucking do with why the match is considered great. Did you ever think that there are other people who actually enjoyed Wrestlemania except for a few matches and still consider it a great match because they were entertained by it? Really though, that’s a ridiculous argument. Even if every other matches were good, this match would probably be considered great…because that’s what it was to many people.

I really don’t give a fuck about what people are saying about the Undertaker/Michaels match from WM25. It was damn good to me. And that’s why I’m voting for it. Sure, I knew ‘Taker would win the match beforehand, but I don’t remember the last time I was entertained by a match like that. It was great from beginning to end I think. It told a great story throughout all of it and it kept fans interested.

There have been a lot of incredible matches from this year such as Jericho vs. Mysterio on Smackdown and their pay per view matches, there’s also the Angle-AJ match that Jack-Hammer mentioned, and many other ones. But I think that ‘Taker/Michaels was better than every other match in the poll…excluding the Danielson match since I haven’t seen it.

People do tend to overrate matches because of the other matches surronding them and don't act like it doesn't happen. We criticize bad matches because the rest of the PPV had good matches so why not the other around. I thought Hardy/Hardy was the match of the PPV but to each his own. The match itself was not the greatest in the world (SCM, rest, Tombstone, rest, etc). The story was just some guy trying to break Taker's streak which is the storyline for him every year going into Wrestlemania. Is the story any different from when Orton challenged Taker?

I'll take any of the Mysterio/Jericho and Punk/Hardy matches any day of the week.

People do tend to overrate matches because of the other matches surronding them and don't act like it doesn't happen. We criticize bad matches because the rest of the PPV had good matches so why not the other around. I thought Hardy/Hardy was the match of the PPV but to each his own. The match itself was not the greatest in the world (SCM, rest, Tombstone, rest, etc). The story was just some guy trying to break Taker's streak which is the storyline for him every year going into Wrestlemania. Is the story any different from when Orton challenged Taker?

I'll take any of the Mysterio/Jericho and Punk/Hardy matches any day of the week.

Morgan / Angle is a great shout (and i'll vote for that). I'm slightly diappointed Angle/Wolfe and Angle/AJ didnt get considered. Even the most recent Angle/jarrett match was great. And the no dq flash/hamada is as good as any WWE womens match this year.

I also think the most recent Steel Asylum was brill.

AJ/Morgan and Hardy vs Hardy are overrated slightly IMO.

The fact that my match made it to the poll options shows how few people made nominations. I picked the Smackdown 4-way elimination match. Not only is it Kane's best match in years, but it's probably the best TV match in years. I wouldn't expect it to get any votes over PPV matches, but people will appreciate it more when it ends up on a DVD.

Mysterio vs Jericho, either one, was infinitely better than Michaels vs Taker. I liked Michaels vs Taker, but 20% of it was two blokes your dad's age having a lie down in the middle of the ring. Jericho and Mysterio's matches flowed and it was a beautiful arrangement rather than a segue from one spot to the next like Hardy vs Punk, and to a greater extent Michaels vs Undertaker. Seriously, this year has produced a fair few gems, to be perfectly honest.

I know its cool to go against the grain and not try to pick the obvious choice....

BUT.. having said that... Undertaker vs HBK at wrestlemania literally by a mile as almost any poll out there will show. So many things that are this hyped up tend not to live up to the high expectations of the fans but this match lived up to it and then some. The fans were into this match from bell to bell..the place was electric. And those two first ballot HOFers went out and put on an absolute clinic. Hell even Bret Hart praised this match as the best he's seen in years.. and he HATES HBK's guts.

Here is a quote from IGN's review that I stongly happen to agree with..
"Seriously though. What is it that Taker and HBK have that just gives them that natural, explosive storytelling ability? We need to harvest that from their brain before they both officially retire for good because we need to surgically insert it in to our younger generation. They just don't have that inherent, ingrained natural ability to go above and beyond our expectations."

The fact that my match made it to the poll options shows how few people made nominations. I picked the Smackdown 4-way elimination match. Not only is it Kane's best match in years, but it's probably the best TV match in years. I wouldn't expect it to get any votes over PPV matches, but people will appreciate it more when it ends up on a DVD.

I actually remember watching that. It was a hell of a match, mostly due to Hardy/Mysterio though. Didn't Kane get DQ'd very early?

Anyway, I really watc the PPVs, just look up the highlights., so I don't think I'll vote for any of those matches. Swagger/Cena on Draft Night was pretty badass. I was a big Swagger mark then, I even am now, despite his disappearance. I knew Swagger wouldn't win, but it looked like he almost had Cena a few times.

I'm going to go with AJ/Morgan III though. Sure, Morgan isn't that great, but AJ was just awesome here. This was the final match to see who would go on to a title match at whatever the hell the next PPV was, and it was just awesome. The whole episode was great and the main event didn't fail to deliver. I thought AJ would definetly be winning here, but Morgan pulled it out after hitting a few SICK looking moves on AJ, including something around top rope that was awesome, can't exactly remember what. I just remember watching this match and being really into it, so it gets my vote.

Why not just close this now, and hand HBK v. Taker the award? 43 votes, when no other has double digits? Really?

I voted for AJ v. Daniels v. Joe because it was the best PPV match of the year for TNA, and all of the WWE matches were redone about 5 times, taking away the luster of the ones listed here.

My Match of the Year vote goes to *drum role*: CM Punk vs. Jeff Hardy in a TLC match from SummerSlam. You may ask "ZOMG why not HBK/Taker", the reason for that is when I first watched HBK/Taker the first half of that match did nothing for me. I really got into it after the botched camera spot, then in my opinion it got awesome. Where is in the TLC match I was into it from bell to bell.

This match was not only a great main event, but also I think it may be the best one on one TLC match to date. This match had me into it because of the chemistry Punk and Hardy had with each other. The storytelling was top notch, and the two guys would wrestle which would keep you thinking "What are they going to do next" which would then bring you to the first big spot. It may not have been as spotty as some would have liked, but that was the beauty of it because while they were wrestling, or using weapons it kept you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what next huge spot one of them might do.

I remember just loving this match the first time I watched, and after re-watching I still have the same impression. That is why Punk/Hardy - TLC is my Match of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back