Promo of the Year

Discussion in '2009 Wrestling Awards' started by Mr. TM, Dec 10, 2009.

?

Promo of the Year

1. AJ Styles on Sting and Vice Versa

2. Cena on Sheamus

3. Christian at Survivor Series

4. CM Punk is Jeff Hardy

5. CM Punk on winning World Title

6. Desmond Wolfe on Angle

7. HBK in the Graveyard

8. Randy Orton before Breaking Point

9. Stone Cold in the Hall of Fame

10. OTHER (Please Specify)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

Nominees:

Christian at Survivor Series
    CM Punk is Jeff Hardy
    HBK in the Graveyard
    Desmond Wolfe on Angle
    Stone Cold: HOF
    Randy Orton: Pre Breaking Point
    AJ Styles v. Sting
    CM Punk wins World Title
    Cena on Sheamus

Remember: This is in the Non-Spam Section

2. Mr. TM

Mr. TM Throwing a tantrum

I am not one of those guys who loves TNA. It is alright, but I think it can be a lot better than what it is.

But when Nigel McGuiness entered TNA as Desmond Wolfe he cut some very good promos against Kurt Angle that for a while made him look as though a man can enter TNA and become a main eventer. If the WWE could do something like that, we would have a much better time making main eventers.

3. a1n1hbk

a1n1hbk Dark Match Winner

I have to go with HBK in graveyard for simple reason being that it always have been taker who cuts a promo in a graveyard to terrify their opponents but seeing someone else do it against UT was just priceless. Promo of the year.

gd likes this.
  4. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

I voted "other" because my choice was not on the list in the poll. The best promo all year was when Cena was putting over his feud with Orton as THE feud of this generation. He did a great job of making the Iron Man match sound so epic and important. Doing both of those things during the same promo makes it stand out among the rest as the best one all year. It wins my vote for promo of the year because it was so great that it stood out as being awesome even compared to the choices in this thread's poll.

5. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Maybe it's because I'm British and so the accent doesn't impress me, but Wolfe's promos always come across as very awkward. "And let me tell you... Mister Mangled... that I'm hungry... like the wolf!" Bleh.

Punk was cutting better promos than anyone this year - so there really should be a Promo Man of the Year category called "The Punk" - on a weekly basis and so narrowing it down to two must have been difficult. I'll go with "Punk is Jeff Hardy", in the hope that it's the one I remember.

6. TLC

TLC Yeah, bitch! Magnets!

My favourite of the year was actually the one at Survivor Series with Christia and Team Kingston, it just made me laugh and showed you how good Christian was on the mic.

7. Барбоса

Барбоса doesn't know REAL wrestling...

This year I think we have been blessed with some great promos. Of those not nominated, everytime Chris Jericho lifted the mic was gold again this year while the back and forth between John Morrison and The Miz on Smackdown was also great.

Of the nominees, Christian talking about the ignoring of the ECW Championship was great while Orton's Breaking Point promo was just fabulous at builing his growing insanity. The whole Light vs Dark build up for HBK/Taker at WM had some great lines too.

However, even in a year of such great promo work, there is only one winner. The month long emergence of "Better Than You" CM Punk made me fall in love with wrestling all over again. It encouraged me to start posting somewhat regularly on here. Hardy was a perfect foil for these promos as they were tinged with that partial truth. It is always said that a heel should believe that what he is saying is true but with Punk he made you feel that he might actually be right. Because he is drug and alcohol free perhaps he is better than me...?

Just when you thought that Punk might without his foil after Hardy's departure, he unveiled his masterpiece. His impersonation of Jeff Hardy on Smackdown is not only the best promo of the year, it is the best moment of the year and one of my favourites of all time.

"Straight Edge is the Choice of a New Generation"

8. BooCocky

BooCocky On A Nature walk with Daniel Bryan

It was a funny promo. Wasn't really a promo of the year candidate.
    That was a good promo and i believe that means something because I think Punk is a big old bag of meh
    This right here was probably the best promo of the bunch. The setting was awesome, the delivery was great. It just had this tremendous effect to it that really stood out.
    You thought this promo was good? I thought it was shit. His delivery is bad.
    Another great promo.
    Which one? I liked the promo the other night. I thought that was done extremely well. Actually, he's had several good promo's during this feud, and I thought Sheamus had some good ones too.

But we also get a write in. Even though I am not going to choose others, I just want to say it was a very good promo. The promo Ventura did on Raw was great. He did a very good job at putting Sheamus over and he kept Cena tied down. The old man still has it and what it did for the feud should be worth at least a nomination. But eventually I ended up picking the HBK graveyard one because I just thought that promo was flat out amazing. Everything in that promo was done exceptionally well...

9. Planty

Planty Pride of Manchester

To me, and I'm utterly surprised this isn't on the list, it is the CM Punk promo at Night of Champions.

Actually going out to the ring, camera angles we rarely see, climbing and preaching directly to the fans and blaming the parents.

Utter brilliance. I'm surprised it isn't on the list. Seriously.
    I don't really feel right voting "Other" for it but it seems that's the only way.

SavageTaker likes this.
  10. Jsaturn14

Jsaturn14 Pre-Show Stalwart

The best promo of the year isn't even on this list. While I agree that the HBK in the Graveyard promo was awesome, it had also been done before by multiple people. I remember Cena doing a promo in a graveyard a few years back! No, the best promo of the year, and the best promo of the HBK vs Taker storyline was the HBK posing as Taker Promo with HBK dressing up in the white trenchcoat and hat. I have never ever seen anyone instigate Taker in that particular way before, and it was awesome to see HBK walk out in the white smoke. The actual talking of the promo was pretty damn awesome as well. I believe this is the one where HBK did the bible quotes. So good. Definitely the best promo of the year.

11. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

I have to give it to the "CM Punk is Jeff Hardy" promo. It was absolutely great due in large part to how the crowd took it.

When Hardy's music hit and Punk came out dressed as Hardy and doing the dancing and all, the people were cheering their heads off. By the time Punk got down to ringside, fans realized that it was Punk dressed as Hardy and those cheers just died out and were replaced by boos. The cameras zoomed in on a number of fans in the audience and their reaction was absolutely fucking priceless. They showed little kids crying, teens shaking their heads with disgust, adults looking as if they wanted to just hop over the barricade and tear Punk apart. Nobody, but nobody has generated that much heat at one time this year. And all that was before CM Punk even got in the ring and said a word. When he actually started on the mic, it was just the icing on the cake.

12. gd

gd Plump, Juicy User

I'll have to go with Wofle's promos on Angle. When he first came into TNA, I didn't know much about him other than bits and pieces I saw from ROH, and I wasn't expecting that much from him. However, he won me over with his epic promos and cheesy wolf puns. I especially like the one that played on a loop while he attacked Angle from behind, brilliant stuff.

I'd put HBK in the graveyard as a close second. It's one of the few that I remember really well from this year and HBK has always been someone I've really liked on the mic. The Punk promos are also up there as well, but I don't watch much Smackdown, so I may be missing out.

13. y2empleh

y2empleh Pre-Show Stalwart

How Jericho's Wrestlemania Promos mocking the old school who refuse to leave did not make this list is beyond me. His entire Mic work during that whole thing deserves the award simply for it's brilliance, and dare I say it, TRUTH. Jericho and Flair on the Mic cutting the promo for it was the Promo of not only the year but of the decade.

14. The Doctor

The Doctor Great and Devious

I didn't vote Other, because I think Punk as Hardy should win it. However, I'd like to give an honorable mention to the Miz/Morrison promo before Bragging Rights. It made me lose myself all over again, and was really one of the best promos of Morrison's career. Truly excellent, exciting, and built up the match perfectly.

15. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

I loved the promo between Rhyno and Team 3D after Rhyno turned on Jesse Neal. You can see the pure emotion in Rhyno's face and the history those three had in ECW really showed for those minutes. It showed that Rhyno can still cut a good promo after all these years and what went on in the past can be brought into the present.

16. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Randy Orton before Breaking Point was a great promo. CM Punk gets honorable mention, but Orton's promo was a throwback of the good ol' days of promos. If they done things like that more often, maybe more people would be interested in the matches at hand. Unfortunately, we don't see that. Orton did a great job with this, and that's why he got my vote.

17. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

This has been a lean year for promos so I gave it to Punk. Literally the only person who has improved their oral techniques this year, Punk deserves to be rewarded. As Jeff Hardy he was doing something that while not wholly original, was certainly fresh in its presentation. That being said, this is more of a cumulative victory than for any one promo.

18. bko

bko Occasional Pre-Show

Orton's pre-Breaking Point promo, I don't know, but there was just something there that promo's are missing nowadays, I know wrestling is scripted and all but I could even feel the intensity through the screen, it was like watching a really good horror movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.