Big Poppa Pump is Ya Re-Hook Up!; Steiner Returns to TNA

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
7460b97197eedfebd7972075874be35e_XL.jpg

Well, it's official (though most of the forum knew already because of a glut of assholes who didn't read/understand the rules regarding posting spoilers on this forum) — "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner returned to TNA tonight at the close of iMPACT!, coming to the aid of Kurt Angle, Matt Morgan and Crimson, all of whom were busy taking a beating at the hands of Immortal.

[YOUTUBE]QOZ-jodVtcI[/YOUTUBE]

Obviously there are rumors circling about the Main Event Mafia returning, and it can certainly be assumed that Angle had called him earlier in the night to "speed up the process", but as a Steiner mark myself I can't help but feel excited when the Big Bad Booty Daddy is on my television screen. Like Flair, Nash and Sting, even at the age of 912, I can't imagine him not being entertaining. It just can't happen.

Thoughts on the return of Steiner? Concerns? Is this definitive proof of the eventual return of the Main Event Mafia? Why or why not?

** MODERATORS NOTE **

I'm more than aware that TNA spoilers are made available generally a week or more ahead of each airing of iMPACT!, however this site maintains a ZERO TOLERANCE rule on posting them in No-SPAM sections — like this one.

Just so we are clear here: DO NOT POST SPOILERS HERE.

If you wish to discuss spoilers, especially the ones that pertain to this story line, see the Cage, otherwise enjoy your week-ban if and when you're caught posting them.

— IDR

I FUCKING LOVED seeing Steiner back I'm a Huge Steiner mark and I thought it was awesome when I heard the Siren go off and he was in the ring with his patent Steel Pipe and the Suit. I think if does mean the Main Event Mafia is back a Group of Angle, Steiner, Crimson, Morgan and possibly Sting could be really good and I would love to see that be the new MEM. Very Happy to see Steiner back and I can't wait to hear some hilarious promos between him and Flair.

like i said a week ago, this just smells of a Mafia return, likely with Angle, Sting, Nash, Steiner and i COULD see Anderson and/or RVD in it too. for some reason, i dont see Morgan being part of the group, but being an ally. Anyways, the Steiner return actually got a pretty big reaction from the live crowd.

I could really care less about this. I guess it is an alright return and I see the Main event Mafia being, "They." Of course if will be a newer version of the MEM with Crimson and I'm sure a few other faces will join. When it is all said and done, I hope Booker T returns and joins them but Nash does not. I don't really care about Sting but God, Nash looks awful and is way out of shape to wrestle. Booker T is one of my favorite wrestlers of all time so it would be cool seeing him re-surface if he does. I am not really all excited about this storyline because it is the same thing that happened at Bound For Glory and when MEM and Frontline was feuding a few years ago, it wasn't very good and I hope this can be done better. I liked the original MEM and I hope this one isn't watered down. All in all, Steiners return is mediocre and I don't see a lot of people really caring about this.

Steiner returning really turns up the interest of the new "THEY". Especially with the association of Angle, Crimson and Morgan. While he may not be good in the ring, he's definably an awesome sight to generate attention with his promos. He's a natural loud mouth, and on the face side of the TNA roster, there's only Anderson for that kind of stuff. Glad to see him back, bitch.

I think the new MEM will be Angle, Crimson, Steiner, Morgan, Anderson, RVD, Amazing Red, Tommy Dreamer and MCMG you can add to the group. That would be a pretty good faction to go against Fortune/Immortal.

I'm a big Steiner fan so I love seeing him back on my TV screen, it's just too bad it's for such a shitty fucking angle. It'll give me more incentive to watch Impact live more often probably, but then again I'd tune in to watch Steiner cook breakfast let alone wrestle. I'd like to see him work a program with Samoa Joe again as they always had good matches together in the past, but I imagine Steiner's role will be alot smaller then that, just playing the muscle in the new MEM and backing Angle.

God I can't believe they're really bringing MEM back. Is that TNA's solution these days to every problem? Just create a new stable every few months? This company man.

Well, I'm going to watch TNA live next week instead of in bits on Youtube like I usually do. They've officially given me several reasons to tune in - Winter, Anderson, and Steiner. With Steiner on a show, you're guaranteed entertainment. The man is just so crazy and outrageous and very funny. He could make anything entertaining because he has a larger-than-life persona, and a very loud mouth.

Can't wait to see what he does next week. Hopefully they give him a mic, forever.

It's obvious where TNA is going now. The MEM will return, and I don't know if I'm too excited about it. These two stables will obviously feud against each other, and they could settle their differences in a Lethal Lockdown match at the Lockdown pay per view. Crimson is getting a BIG push early on, and I hope Morgan will get back on track after all of this is over.

As far as Steiner goes, I'm sure his role will be pretty small. He'll be the bad ass/muscle in the new MEM, and I'm sure he'll be cocky and arrogant as usual. I also don't expect Steiner to be the main guy in the new MEM. It seems as if Kurt Angle will play that role again.

I wonder if Steiner will face off against Flair? TNA seems to be going the shoot route these days, and we all know about the troubled past between these two, so I wouldn't be surprised if TNA decided to do a Steiner VS Flair program.

Steiner's all good and entartaining at the start but he just doesn't have longevity to sustain my interest in him. The initial novelty for me wears of after a few segments and shitty matches so while this certainly gives me enough of an incentive to watch IMPACT next week, unless they can do something with Steiner compelling then I ain't coming back.

However, I though the way he debuted was pretty damn good. The light going out and Steiner in the middle. It was realistic since him beating down everybody with the elemt of surprise is more convincing then him running up the ramp like an old man with Immortal ready to fight. I didn't like Moergan running out, the way it played out was so damn stupid. Why would you run out without a weapon into 6 guys who are legitimate non-jobbers?

God I can't believe they're really bringing MEM back. Is that TNA's solution these days to every problem? Just create a new stable every few months? This company man.

I'm guessing they are planning on having Immortal vs MEM in the Lethal Lockdown at Lockdown '11. So there is a point to bringing in another faction if that is what they are trying to set up.

Truth be told, I'm not the biggest Steiner fan, but I do think he can be entertaining. Angle is getting some back up. I like that the newcomer Crimson is being added into this. Should be a good "rub" for him to be in a big storyline and in a faction with some high profile guys. I am interested to see where they are going with this.

does anyone know if iMPACT is live or taped next week?

YES!!! Big Poppa Pump, i love this man, he is awesome, i love his trashtalk, i love when he beats people down, this is amazing!!!! i am glad to see him back on TNA!!! this is awesome!!!! i guess they are trying to get some heat for lethal lockdown, and with guys like this, they are going to have lots of heat, they just need RVD, mr anderson, big poppa pump, mat morgan, crimson and kurt angle, and maybe a couple other guys, and then they will have themselves a big match!!!

Awesome loved it when Steiners music hit he's one of the most enteraining guys on the mic and his crazy personality makes him a must watch, if TNA has him Do Real Shoots I might care about them for once because he's more than likely not gonna hold back. As far as the M.E.M(If thats indeed who they are) id rather have them around fighting Immortal than having Immortal be a solo stable and pretty much dominating TNA Corperate Ministry/NWO classic style every week.

You have to love the Big Bad Booty Daddy! Scott Steiner's return is very welcome in my book. Over the years he has been very entertaining. All those years ago when The Steiner Brothers were running all over tag divisions around the world, I loved it. When Steiner was running around with Buff Bagwell, cracking skulls for the nWo, I loved it. When we last saw Steiner in TNA and he was stalking Krystal Lashley, I loved it. Now that Steiner is back to thumping heads for Kurt Angle, I'm going to love it.

This is exactly why I watch wrestling. I like to see the older guys that have "it". Guys like Steiner, Nash, and Sting are fun to see. They are light years better in the entertainment department than a lot of guys in both TNA and WWE. There are so many guys that wrestle today that just don't have "it". So many of the guys out there today are here one minute and gone the next. Steiner has persevered over time. Guys like Nash and Sting been parts of some of the biggest angles in history. There are a few younger guys that have "it" around, but TNA doesn't know what to do with them (Roode and Lethal). So what the hell, give me some Big Poppa Pump, give me some Big Sexy, and give me some of the Stinger. I just hope it doesn't totally suck!

I loved it. I was great to see Scott Steiner back.

I don't know if he's back in TNA full time but think he can be good for TNA for the time being. I'm actually looking forward to Impact on February 3rd.

SO AWESOME!!! BPP could be 80 years old, and I'd still pay money to see him. He'd be in awesome shape too, even at 80. I've been waiting with so much anticipation, since I've caught wind of his return.

I dont really care if it's a MEM reunion or not. As long as they give BPP the mic, and give it to him ALOT! This should be hilarious, especially cause he's being pitted against a Flair faction. I cant wait...YOU SON OF A BITCH!

im kinda at a point where i dont know where to turn rite now, i mean on one side you have steiner returning which is great but a steiner returning on the opposing side of flair is even greater. i really kinda still mark out for steiner cause hes really entertaining and draws more attention and distills more intensity to the storyline(might just be a contact from his roids)but on the other side of the coin we get a whole other year of WCW or deja vu if you will....im not hating im just saying thats what it is starting to look like.....thank you

I loved the way in which Steiner debuted and I think I am going to enjoy him for like three weeks before I realize that he is way too old and way past his prime to be still wrestling. It would be best if they use him in a miniscule role, probably as the talker or the mentor of the group.

As for reviving the Main Event Mafia, I do not think that it is a great idea unless The Mafia are booked to lose this feud. Even if Mr Anderson is a part of this group, the focus will be on guys like Angle and Steiner. If they defeat the Immortals it will always be remembered that Angle and Steiner's group defeated Immortal and that would help absolutely no one.

The best thing TNA could do is to let Immortal defeat the MEM. In that way, they can solidify their position as the most dominant stable that TNA have ever had. Then, it would be best if they are taken down by a bunch of new guys who are not neccesarily in a stable. In that way, you can elevate a lot of guys at the same time.

Well, I'm going to watch TNA live next week instead of in bits on Youtube like I usually do. They've officially given me several reasons to tune in - Winter, Anderson, and Steiner. With Steiner on a show, you're guaranteed entertainment. The man is just so crazy and outrageous and very funny. He could make anything entertaining because he has a larger-than-life persona, and a very loud mouth.

Can't wait to see what he does next week. Hopefully they give him a mic, forever.

Doc, I am exactly the same. I am gonna try and watch the whole of Impact simply due to Steiner being back, the guy is an absolute legend on the mic! I wonder who in Immortal he will call a redneck first....his loud mouth was always entertaining, and as a face he can be even more outrageous and comical than ever.

Plus, I hope he can still go to an extent in the ring. While he is way past his prime, I always enjoy seeing Scotty throw out a couple of suplexes and maybe...just maybe...hit the Frankensteiner!

I'M HUNGRY!!......GEEET MY BAAAGS!

I know I'm gonna be in the minority here but, I think TNA could have gone without Steiner. Ive read numerous times that, Steiner's back is in such bad shape that, it kills him to tie his shoes. I mean if this is the case, what kind of a match do you expect him to have against Fortune.

Also, as far as the MEM goes, if they include Matt Morgan, and Crimson, my question is...WHY? I mean, what have the two of them done to deserve a spot in the MEM. Morgan has won the Tag Team titles once with Hernandez but, other than that????....and Crimson???...

I understand that, they need someone to feud with Immortal but, why do they have to create yet another stable. They should just have a few people team up and go after Immortal, instead of having another stable.

They have too many people in Immortal anyway. I mean, you got a good look at it last night, outside of Pope, Generation Me, Bully/Brother/Bubba Ray, there are next to no heels that are not in Immortal. I really hope they dont do this with the face stable.

If they are going the MEM route, I would just have Angle, Steiner, Sting(if he comes back), Nash(if he comes back), and Booker T(if he comes back)...the original MEM, without Morgan, and Crimson(still dont get why he is in this storyline)

I for one am stoked. I've been a Steiner fan ever since he first turned into Big Poppa Pump. I'm glad I didn't read any of the spoilers cuz that would've bummed me out if I didn't get that surprise last night. I had read that MEM was likely the "they" that was coming, but honestly forgot Steiner was ever a part of it since I didn't watch TNA consistently back then. When the lights went out I just figured it would be Sting with a bat, but when I heard the sirens I marked out.

my thing is...I don't see Crimson or Morgan being a part of MEM...they haven't been world champions before...that was a pre-requisite of joining the group the first time around...they can't call it the Main Event Mafia if they are a group full up of non Main Event stars...just sayin'...

I know I'm gonna be in the minority here but, I think TNA could have gone without Steiner. Ive read numerous times that, Steiner's back is in such bad shape that, it kills him to tie his shoes. I mean if this is the case, what kind of a match do you expect him to have against Fortune.

I like that you bring up the issue of his back, because when he was in his last run a lot of criticism of him seem to rest on the fact his back was pretty busted up. What's ironic about all this is I've read criticisms of Hogan that "He shouldn't be wrestling with his back", which he actually isn't. Am I right in thinking he's only been in 1, maybe 2 matches in the year he's been there? One of them a tag? My point being, Scott returns with similar problems as Hogan but this seems to be getting glossed over, despite Steiner likely to be in the ring more than Hogan.
I don't have a problem with Steiner, as many have said he is a bit of a live wire on the mic so is good in that respect, but it just seems like TNA are using up a lot of nostalgia cards instead of using the guys at their disposal. It's not as if they even need Steiner to put young guys over, they have more than enough older guys for that already.

I suppose I'm in the minority here...

I too try to stay away from spoilers, so Scott Steiners "re-debut" was definitely a surprise for me. Unfortunately, it was a surprise akin to bringing my car into the mechanic for a minor issue and it costing $1000 to fix. In other words, this kind of "surprise" contains an initial shock followed by a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach rather than excitement or anticipation.

Steiner isn't that good in the ring. Quite frankly, he hasn't been since his innovation of the Frankensteiner and post tag-team combination with Rick. Though I haven't seen too much of him in TNA (I'm a 1/4/10 fan), his premiere work in other top feds (WWF/WCW) was typically slow, sloppy, and often times dangerous for himself as well as his opponents. Over time, the best that most wrestlers can hope for is to stay the same athletically (ie; Shawn Michaels). Most deteriorate tremendously, despite their best efforts to work way past their prime. Steiner was having "issues" in the early 2000's. What has another 8 to 10 years contributed to that?

Steiner is only debatably good on the mic. Yes, he has a penchant for saying outrageous things... if you can understand or follow them. Perhaps that's his "charm" with other fans. It certainly isn't for me. I get that Steiners gimmick is kinda like mysogyny meets "roid rage", but it just doesn't appeal to me long term. Admittedly, he works better as a heel than as a face due to his ability to tear someone completely down in the most caustic of ways. Even still, I consistently find Steiner extremely hard to follow, often times more juvenile than entertaining, and someone who knows what he wants to be character-wise, but usually has a difficult time pulling it off.

I think TNA has made a critical mistake here by brining Steiner back on board. Yes, the reaction he got was pretty good... from the iMPACT zone. I'm curious how the "1.3" at home felt about it. February 3rd was looking like a solid show with Anderson/Hardy, the new "THEY", a possible resurgence of the X-division, and other factors that stacked the card. Truthfully, I think Steiners entry into the scene does more to harm than help. It'll be interesting to see what the next few weeks holds and whether Steiner can keep any of the "momentum" gained last night into the future.

My guess? Steiner is a bust.

I've got to break this down a bit...

The Good
I fucking love me some Scott Steiner. His stuttered, convoluted, rambling promos are endlessly entertaining to me. And when he's able to come out of his shell as the "Big, Bad, Booty Daddy" and push the envelope with his racy and sexy comments and mannerisms, I truly feel he is at his best. That's a big reason why he didn't succeed in the WWE... some guys are just made for television with less restraints on censorship. Steiner's character is of an extremely muscular and confident man that can basically bang any women he wants. Shit like that doesn't happen in a PG environment and is extremely entertaining when it isn't held back.

Scott's in-ring skill has been limited but let's be serious for a minute... does a guy like Scott Steiner REALLY need to have 5-star matches in order to be over with the people? His character is what draws... not his wrestling.

The Bad
I agree with Xfear... does TNA's solutions and storylines ALWAYS have to revolve around factions? How is TNA supposed to get individuals over if they constantly put the emphasis on the fact that individual wrestlers cannot win matches or get over without being a part of a faction or being dragged around by a leash along side Eric Bischoff or Ric Flair?? Come on, TNA... take the fucking training wheels off these guys and let them shine on their own!! Obviously, I'm referring to the fact that TNA is obviously bringing back the Main Event Mafia.

Let's face it... we're all wrestling fans here. But even my 4-year old nephew could have seen this coming from a mile away. It's been chatted about on here since Bound for Glory; once Immortal formed and began to dominate television, we knew that TNA would either create a new faction to take them down or recycle an old one. The only problem is that the Main Event Mafia wasn't that much of a ground-breaking stable. Therefore, who gives two shits about their reformation? And what makes us all think they will have the power to take down Immortal?

The only saving grace I can see is recreating the Mafia and bringing back guys like Sting, Booker T and Kevin Nash. We've already heard reports and seen the Twitters that Nash has sent out stating that he's in contract negotiations with TNA again. Booker T has been bouncing back and forth between signing with the WWE and resigning with TNA. Sting has been non-existent for months. To me, this all points to bringing one, two, or three of them back for this angle. If that's the case, it'll be another case of TNA grabbing quick ratings for Impact.

But then what? The entire company, once again, will focus on two factions that include a total of about 20 men who won't get any individual focus. The only ones who will get this focus are Bischoff, Flair, Jarrett, Hogan, Angle, and Steiner. It's the same bullshit all over again with the veterans getting the focus and leaving the future stars in the dust.

I really don't understand why TNA constantly tries to reinvent the wheel... it just doesn't excite me. I'm more excited to see the angle END rather than reform and continue. If I'm not the only one thinking that way and that thought is shared by a good portion of the audience, TNA is going down the path of failure once again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back