Battle Zone Tournament General Discussion Thread

Writing in for Doctor Who.
I did consider suggesting The Doctor but I don't think he really fits this sort of thing. Then again, maybe next year.
Johnny Cage has my full support.
Really glad to see you're participating again! I was saying to JGlass earlier that I wish last year's tourney had been archived instead of deleted, because your arguments for Light Yagami were masterful.

Was the last tourney last year or two years ago? I feel like it was two years ago, as I remember posting arguments when I was living in an apartment in Boston I was living in while recovering from surgery, and that was in the Summer of 09.

If anyone is going to knock off Batman in the early rounds, it's gonna be the Hulkster. Whether we're talking kayfabe or reality, Hulk Hogan is a force to be reckoned with, and Batman met defeat when fighting Bane, a roided out freak. I think Hulk may buy his juice from the same guy...

OMG JGlass Don't you know anything?!? Bane isn't on steroids, he's on "venom".

In all seriousness, Bane is far more intelligent than Hulk Hogan, and far more stronger, So comparing Bane to Hogan is giving Hogan far more credit than he deserves, I'd say Hogan has more in common with Killer Croc than Bane. Batman beats the fuck out of Croc on a regular basis, he should be able to beat Hogan.

Was the last tourney last year or two years ago? I feel like it was two years ago, as I remember posting arguments when I was living in an apartment in Boston I was living in while recovering from surgery, and that was in the Summer of 09.
Pretty sure it was 2010, because it was up for voting in the End of Year Awards. It was before I became a mod, though, but I distinctly remember writing some of the posts for MegaMan vs. Megazord when I was bored in my computer classes at school.

Batman also has Croc's number as he's faced him before, Hogan is a new opponent with new tricks. And I don't know if Bane is any stronger than Hogan. Hogan could be beaten within an inch of his life, and he'll still manage to comeback.

The key to the Batman vs. Hogan fight isn't going to be who gets the upper hand... because the answer is obviously Batman. The real deciding factor is whether Batman will be able to stop the inevitable comeback. Does Batman have any tools in that utility belt of his that can stop Hogan from Hulking Up? Because if Hogan does manage to Hulk up, Batman is through.

Batman also has Croc's number as he's faced him before, Hogan is a new opponent with new tricks. And I don't know if Bane is any stronger than Hogan. Hogan could be beaten within an inch of his life, and he'll still manage to comeback.
I'm sure Bruce Wayne would have seen a Hogan match on TV. He'd know what he's up against. Hogan is also weaker than Croc, so there's that. Remember, Batman does not kill, so there is no need for Hogan to be beaten within an inch of his life, just knocked out.

The key to the Batman vs. Hogan fight isn't going to be who gets the upper hand... because the answer is obviously Batman. The real deciding factor is whether Batman will be able to stop the inevitable comeback. Does Batman have any tools in that utility belt of his that can stop Hogan from Hulking Up? Because if Hogan does manage to Hulk up, Batman is through.
Batman always prepares for who he's facing, so I'm sure he'd be sure to bring plenty of toys that are useful in subduing a mere man.

Yes, but not quite super powers. Just martial arts mastery. That means someone else who is also a good fighter negates that.

Except that Jason is already a martial arts expert, and yet his attacks are considerably more effective when he's morphed. So it clearly does have some effect. Additionally he can teleport and "jet" i.e. fly, which I believe was added to all the MMPRs in season 2 before he was swapped out for Rocky.

It's been a good 16 years since I've watched anything related to the Power Rangers, so forgive me if I don't remember correctly, but why would he have the Green Ranger's weapons? I remember the Red Ranger having some sort of sword and I think an energy gun.

Long story short, when the Green Ranger left he gave his power coin to Jason to prevent it from falling back into Rita's hands. This gave Jason the ability to call upon Green's powers (i.e. shield and dagger) and hence the dragonzord.

Also, as far as his robot t-rex goes, anyone who has any sort of explosive device (bombs, rocket launchers, etc) can take that down.

Yeah, the Zords are tougher than they look.

[YOUTUBE]W2KTq5_bOw0[/YOUTUBE]

And the Dragonzord was perfectly fine for his next fight.

Look, I loved the Power Rangers when I was 5, but let's be realistic here. Red Ranger should go a bit further than he should, just based on how the tournament is set up, but he will lose against whoever he gets in the semi-finals.

I'm going to get him as far as I can.

Goku vs Professor X/Darth Vader

Batman vs Samus/Iron Man

However, there are so many potential wildcards.

- does Light Yagami know his opponent's name before hand?

- If it is a fight to the death could it be argued that Batman would not beat anyone and certainly not the Joker?

- just how strong is the Force when compared to a psychic?

- and just how much of a hissy fit did Doc throw when Light, Mega Man and Scott Pilgrim ended up in the same bracket?

Барбоса;3380482 said:
- does Light Yagami know his opponent's name before hand?
I'd say so. For the sake of the tourney I'd like to imagine each fight as a round from a fighting tournament. People know their opponents' names, but not the full extent of their powers, or at least not for the first round. In the interest of fairness and simplicity, fights begin at the beginning of the fight, so there's no pre-game or arguing that Light could have written the name down the moment he found out who he was facing.

- If it is a fight to the death could it be argued that Batman would not beat anyone and certainly not the Joker?
It could be, but it's for reasons like this that we decided fights could end in death or incapacitation. No more "The only way to defeat him is to throw him into the center of the big bang" rubbish.

- just how strong is the Force when compared to a psychic?
Really looking forward to arguments like this, it's what makes the tourney so much fun.

- and just how much of a hissy fit did Doc throw when Light, Mega Man and Scott Pilgrim ended up in the same bracket?
Ha, that's the power of random seeding. Really there are tons of options here so I'm not too fussed. No matter who wins, it'll be someone awesome.

I set up my Sub Zero HQ now I am gonna research about Earthworm Jim so I can make a strong compelling argument

Just wanted to let everyone participating know that you're all awesome and I hope you keep it up. I didn't expect such a response on the first day, this is great.

Polls and threads close at 11 PM EST tonight, with round 2 going up at midnight! Get your last minute votes and posts in!

I wanna talk about Ghost Rider. He's going to be a tough cookie to crunch, as he's nearly impervious to physical attacks, unless the weaponry used was forged in heaven.

That said, there are a handful of people I could see taking him down in this tournament.

1) Captain America- While Cap's shield isn't exactly forged in heaven (I'm pretty sure it was made in Wakanda), Cap is one of the VERY few that has been able to wield Mjolnir, Thor's hammer. I think it's safe to assume that this Viking weapon qualifies as forged in heaven. The question is, how does Cap get his hands on it, and can he hold of Ghost Rider until he does?

2) Darth Vader- I'm not sure Darth Vader gets past Wolverine in the next round, but assuming he does, he might be one of the few able to stop Ghost Rider. In addition to using the Force to his advantage, the lightsaber could prove to be just as effective as a Heaven-made weapon. After all, in the Star Wars universe it can cut through nearly all materials (except those specifically made to withstand lightsabers), and I don't think Ghost Rider's flaming skull will be any match for a lightsaber.

Professor X- Professor X is no match for nearly any competitor physically, but he is by far the strongest competitor mentally. Ghost Rider is nearly invulnerable physically, but mentally he has weaknesses. If Professor X can get into Ghost Rider's mind, he may be able to put the Ghost Rider persona in a box and force him to transform back into Johnny Blaze. From there it's an easy victory for Professor X.

Spawn and Hellboy- For obvious reasons. Both these competitors have access to some of the equipment that could take down Ghost Rider. Sadly, it looks like neither of them will be going to the next round.

Cable- Cable might not be quite the psychic Professor X is, but he's no slouch either. I doubt he'd be able to force Ghost Rider to transform back into Johnny Blaze, but he could easily knock him unconscious with mental attacks. He also has a few other advantages over Professor X in that he is physically strong and has cloaking and teleporting abilities that will allow him to hide from Ghost Rider while launching psychic attacks.

Kirby- Last but not least, it's everyone's favorite puffball. Kirby swallows Ghost Rider, and suddenly we have an even fight. I have no idea how Kirby goes about taking out Ghost Rider from there, but he has a fighting chance.

Another interesting point that was brought up by someone voting for Cyclops is that Cyclops could stall Ghost Rider until it's daytime again. Does the day/night transformation still apply to Ghost Rider, or has that since been changed? Because that would be another sound strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back