Atlanta Region, Sixth Round: (2) The Rock vs. (4) Sting

Who Wins This Match

• The Rock

• Sting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Everyone who makes comments about the Rock's short run with the company being more impactful than Sting's career throughout wrestling is just ridiculous. It just proves, once again, that unless you were alive in the 80's when Sting WAS the Rock of the NWA and WCW, you're completely ignorant to the impact this man had on wrestling. Sting's scream, howl, facepaint, outfits... they were iconic and the most popular things in those organizations at the time. But since he was never in the WWE, you're all ignorant.

This is ridiculous. I'm sorry guys but I'll take 25 years of being on top (10 of them being the hottest thing in pro-wrestling outside of Hulk Hogan) to a 5-years uber-popular stint in the WWE.

Sting shouldn't lose this round. No fucking way. You guys are just riding the wave of the Rock's return, as of late.

:lmao: Let's see. Once again, look at the amount of time Austin had compared to Sting. If you take Sting's best 7 years and put up against Austin's I don't see it. Prove me wrong. Five best, Hogan, Austin, Flair, Michaels, Hart, pretty sure that's what the majority of the boards will say.

If you put stings best 7 years as his surfer gimmick or his Crow gimmick they will be better than Austins any day. Like Dman said he was the rock in the 80's, and he was the biggest name behind Hogan in Wcw. I'm sorry I would take Sting over Bret Hart any day. I also forgot Hbk lol, my fault. But it should be Sting as number 4 in my book. It should be Hogan, Flair, Hbk, Sting, then Bret. Austin shouldn't even be in anyones top five, I'm sorry.

Not denying that. In my original post on this thread I said the same thing. Rock used the mic, Sting didn't have to. Both are great IMO. Though Rock could tell a story in the ring as well.

Are you kidding me? Sting couldn't? Have you see his wrestling from his early days and his wrestling in Wcw. Sting was on top because of his work ethic. He botched, but so did The rock.

:lmao: Want to know a better one? Rock helped put WCW out of business. :rolleyes: I remember that being a bigger part of wrestling history.

Actually here is a small part of history you are overlooking, Halloween Havock and Wcw's hemorrhaging of money. Wcw was spending more than they could make, no wrestler really had a part in that from Wwf.

Yes, in 25 years he's doubled that. Take Sting's best 7 years and stack them up against the Rock, and you tell me who's better in that period. Yes, it's harder to judge because Rock had a shorter career, but in no means should that hurt him. He should be applauded for being able to do what he did in the time that he did. Look at who's Rock faced and beat, I've listen them in another post, it's impressive.

Did you even look up who sting has beaten? He beat the best of his time just like the rock did. He wrestled to many draws in his early days. Are you telling me a 45 minute draw between two of the biggest names ever wouldn't be a great match.

Sting isn't the better competitor because he's been around for four times as long as The Rock, he's better because he's been around for four times as long as The Rock and has been a top 10 wrestler every one of those 20 years.

Sting's popularity and his effect on wrestling is nothing to overlook. He, along with Hogan, are what helped wrestling achieve and maintain the national spotlight in the late 80s/early 90s. He had epic battles with The Four Horsemen, Muta, The Road Warriors, and Lex Luger, and almost any big name you can think of that came through WCW. Sting wasn't just a legend, he helped create legends, and that's more than you can say for The Rock.

The primary criticism against the Rock is that he would lose because he didn't stay around as long. What this ignores is the face that unlike Warrior, and arguably even pre-MMA Lesnar, The Rock actually went on to better things than wrestling. If you consider an analogy this is like saying the guy who plays Harold Bishop in Neighbours is a better actor than Russell Crowe because Crowe was only in a few episodes of Neighbours, whereas Harold Bishop was in it for about 20 years. It is, quite frankly, a poor argument.

What is perhaps more relevant is the fact that Sting has remained relevant to the main event of wrestling for such a long time. That's certainly true, but The Rock debuted in 1996, and will headline WrestleMania 28 in 2012. That's a pretty long time after his debut to still be top of the game.

The main thing Sting has is that he won the majority of his big feuds, whereas The Rock was a bit more patchy with his successes. If this were a match at a major PPV, I'd probably edge it to Sting, but I think the tournament setting renders that negative. Ultimately, I'm going with The Rock, because his popularity transcends wrestling. Why is that important? It isn't really, but while I respect everything Sting has done, he hasn't done anywhere near as much to make people who don't like wrestling watch wrestling as has The Rock, and I'm rewarding that contribution with a vote for The Rock in a narrow one.

The Rock should go over here , it doesn't matter who arguably is the greater icon out of the two, all that matters is The Rock is more than capable of taking Sting to the limit and beating him, The Rock may have lost to the likes of Steve Austin on two occasions but this was only because of outside interference in some way or another , with all ringside distractions out of the way ,The Rock beat Steve Austin clean at WM 19 making a lasting impression in the WWE. The Rock will take Sting to the limit and capitalize on his mistakes much like he did with his other opponents. This match up will conclude the same way Hogan and Rock at WM x8 concluded with The Rock hitting the people's elbow after a Rock bottom , winning over the crowd and more importantly the match.

Vote: The Rock.

If you put stings best 7 years as his surfer gimmick or his Crow gimmick they will be better than Austins any day.

Highly doubt that. Austin from 96-02 was huge. Possibly the biggest anyone has ever been.

Like Dman said he was the rock in the 80's, and he was the biggest name behind Hogan in Wcw.

And the Rock was the biggest name behind Austin till 2000 when he became the biggest Draw. You can't tell me he wasn't.

I'm sorry I would take Sting over Bret Hart any day. I also forgot Hbk lol, my fault. But it should be Sting as number 4 in my book. It should be Hogan, Flair, Hbk, Sting, then Bret. Austin shouldn't even be in anyones top five, I'm sorry.

:lmao: So one of the men that changed wrestling you wouldn't have in the top five. Okay, but enough about Austin, this is between the Rock and Sting.

]Are you kidding me? Sting couldn't? Have you see his wrestling from his early days and his wrestling in Wcw. Sting was on top because of his work ethic. He botched, but so did The rock.

Once again, you completely missed what I said. I never said Sting couldn't. Are you trying to say that Rock didn't have a good work ethic?

Actually here is a small part of history you are overlooking, Halloween Havock and Wcw's hemorrhaging of money. Wcw was spending more than they could make, no wrestler really had a part in that from Wwf.

So Wcw was spending to much money.... I wonder why? Because the WWF was putting more money into its product, and guys like Rock and Austin were raking in the money. WCW had to spend more money if they wanted to compete with Vince.

Did you even look up who sting has beaten? He beat the best of his time just like the rock did. He wrestled to many draws in his early days. Are you telling me a 45 minute draw between two of the biggest names ever wouldn't be a great match.

:wtf: Yes, I've seen who's Sting's beaten. I'm not saying that a 45 minute draw isn't a good match. I'm not, I'm simply point out that many like to over look who the Rock has faced in the ring, and beaten. The list is just as impresses as Sting's.

Highly doubt that. Austin from 96-02 was huge. Possibly the biggest anyone has ever been.

Are you kidding me? Austin is bigger than Hogan or Flair? Possibly is right dude, because only in your mind was he the biggest ever.

And the Rock was the biggest name behind Austin till 2000 when he became the biggest Draw. You can't tell me he wasn't.

Very true, but also sting has been the number one and number two draws in most of the company's he has ever been with.

Once again, you completely missed what I said. I never said Sting couldn't. Are you trying to say that Rock didn't have a good work ethic?

Yes he did, but here is what I'm trying to say. Sting in his hay day was putting on clinics with some of the top wrestlers, sometimes even going to a draw. He had good matches with all of the greats, he did have his bad ones. But I've never really seen a terrible Sting match *beyond politics and in tna...*. The Rock dosen't have bad matches often, but his wrestling isn't at the level of the Icon's.

So Wcw was spending to much money.... I wonder why? Because the WWF was putting more money into its product, and guys like Rock and Austin were raking in the money. WCW had to spend more money if they wanted to compete with Vince.

Really... Have you ever looked at the payflow for Wcw? They wern't spending money to keep up with anyone. They were spending money to spend money, Ie just to name a few, I watched an old episode with a few members on a streem. They can attest to this if they see it. They had a strech limmo with a pool in the back, with models, and two brand new custom bikes brought out. For Hogan, Bishoff rode out on one. But they had a custom bike for hogan, and a strech with a pool in the back. You can't return the custom, but you can return the others. How much does a limmo with a pool in the back of it cost to rent? A lot, no single person outside of Wcw will ever be albe to lay claim to shutting it down. Bad buisness and flushing down money on shit they didn't need shut it down. So that argument is over.

:wtf: Yes, I've seen who's Sting's beaten. I'm not saying that a 45 minute draw isn't a good match. I'm not, I'm simply point out that many like to over look who the Rock has faced in the ring, and beaten. The list is just as impresses as Sting's.

How so? Who has the rock beaten that Sting hasen't? Please bring me a list of mega stars, and maybe a few wont be on the list. But I will compile a list of mega stars that Sting has wrestled and beat.

Storyline wise, either guy could have been booked over the other. To argue otherwise is incredibly naïve.

Impact on the sport is more subjective, the Rock could be argued to be the best promo man ever but on the same token he was neither the first great talker nor was he the only one during his career. Sting wasn't as charismatic on the stick but he was believable and the fans felt what he said. His natural charisma was such that fans went ape for him not speaking for over a year (not even a howl). The Rock was the number three guy (behind Stone Cold and Vince) during the WWF's most successful period, Sting's position has fluctuated but he was always in the upper echelon and occasionally the top dog.

The Rock never looked back after leaving wrestling until recently, possibly due to the Dwayne Johnson name losing stock in movie circles (F&F5:wtf:). To be honest, I felt his part in this years WrestleMania was counter productive - the main event came across as an advertisement for next years event. For some reason, Sting appears to get more venom for being loyal - first, to WCW and more recently to TNA. Sting's loyalty to wrestling and the companies that have employed him are the reason behind my personal preference and I hope to see Mr Borden take on Mr Williams in the final (just in case my sig didn't make that blatantly obvious).

Vote Rock. Sting's main advantage over guys in his prime was his superior athleticism. Well, Rocky is a guy who could go step for step with him there. In the ring, they were both lots of fun to watch, and both had a crappy version of the Sharpshooter. Rock cut better promos by miles. Vote Rocky.

Are you kidding me? Austin is bigger than Hogan or Flair? Possibly is right dude, because only in your mind was he the biggest ever.

I'm pretty sure many on here will agree with me that Austin had a bigger impact than Flair. Hogan would be hard to argue with. That's why I said that he became as big as anyone.

Very true, but also sting has been the number one and number two draws in most of the company's he has ever been with.

Thus, why they're even on this point.

Yes he did, but here is what I'm trying to say. Sting in his hay day was putting on clinics with some of the top wrestlers, sometimes even going to a draw. He had good matches with all of the greats, he did have his bad ones. But I've never really seen a terrible Sting match *beyond politics and in tna...*. The Rock dosen't have bad matches often, but his wrestling isn't at the level of the Icon's.

What is your point? I've already talked about this. You admit that he doesn't have bad matches.

Really... Have you ever looked at the payflow for Wcw? They wern't spending money to keep up with anyone. They were spending money to spend money, Ie just to name a few, I watched an old episode with a few members on a streem. They can attest to this if they see it. They had a strech limmo with a pool in the back, with models, and two brand new custom bikes brought out. For Hogan, Bishoff rode out on one. But they had a custom bike for hogan, and a strech with a pool in the back. You can't return the custom, but you can return the others. How much does a limmo with a pool in the back of it cost to rent? A lot, no single person outside of Wcw will ever be albe to lay claim to shutting it down. Bad buisness and flushing down money on shit they didn't need shut it down. So that argument is over.

Really? What does this have to do with the topic at hand? However, I will say this. They were spending money on things they didn't need to, and they screwed themselves over. However, I will not believe that some of that money that they were spending was not going to try to help them against Vince.

]How so? Who has the rock beaten that Sting hasen't? Please bring me a list of mega stars, and maybe a few wont be on the list. But I will compile a list of mega stars that Sting has wrestled and beat.

I've already listed major stars the Rock has wrestled and beat. I can think of one major one that Sting has not faced and beat, The Undertaker. I do not recall him facing Triple H either. I'm not saying that Rock should win basically on this, however, there is a name that he hasn't face. It's a small point but I felt like saying it. lol

I've already listed major stars the Rock has wrestled and beat. I can think of one major one that Sting has not faced and beat, The Undertaker. I do not recall him facing Triple H either. I'm not saying that Rock should win basically on this, however, there is a name that he hasn't face. It's a small point but I felt like saying it. lol

He never faced Jean-Paul Levesque in WCW (who was to busy losing to Das Winderkind at the time), but he did defeat 'Mean' Mark Callous and Bruiser Mastino so if you wanna be technical about it, he's beaten both 'Brothers of Destruction'.

He never faced Jean-Paul Levesque in WCW (who was to busy losing to Das Winderkind at the time), but he did defeat 'Mean' Mark Callous and Bruiser Mastino so if you wanna be technical about it, he's beaten both 'Brothers of Destruction'.

Obviously beating Mark Callous and Bruiser Mastino means nothing in this conversation. Sting has never faced or defeated either man while they were in their dominant gimmick. Any of Sting's wins over Stunning Steve Austin are also not nearly as impressive as a win over Stone Cold.

Obviously beating Mark Callous and Bruiser Mastino means nothing in this conversation. Sting has never faced or defeated either man while they were in their dominant gimmick. Any of Sting's wins over Stunning Steve Austin are also not nearly as impressive as a win over Stone Cold.

Exactly my point (and why I used their character names), you cannot make an argument that Sting never beat these guys as a negative - he never faced them in their most famous guises. That makes the argument that he never beat them mute, it would be like me arguing that these guys never beat Sting.

When it comes down to it, Sting is unbeatable here... In-Ring abilities, even in his current shape, Sting would work circles around The Rock in his best days and not even think twice about it. Sting and Rock may have both repackaged themselves from previous gimmicks, but the thing is that Sting truly didn't NEED the change.

Sting was essentially over in the WCW when he used to work with Flair and he was able to carry the WCW World title with pride and give it class. Sure the crow gimmick helped make him into an even greater success but when it comes down to it, Sting is a total package.

The Rock on the other hand is a flash in the pan who can remember a few good catchphrases. Back when I was a kid, I was a huge Rock mark and even in the modern world I enjoy his acting abilities... but as a pro-wrestler/sports entertainer, I can not take him seriously anymore.

I'm going to be naughty here because the votes are really close and I want the Stinger to reach the final.

Vote Sting if you're peeved that you purchased WrestleMania ($55 in the States I believe:wtf:) on the back of the Rock being involved and the tease of significant in-ring participation only to find out that the most of his 'involvement' was on a level with the RAW guest host/ manager segments most of us have blocked out AND his (very short) in-ring participation only yielded two offensive results:
1: It made the WWe Champion look like a complete weakling and after the Miz has finally earned some respect for his work ethic, he gets to spend the closing moments of WM staring at the sky - despite being the winner of the Main Event.
2: The Main Event of WrestleMania27 (biggest PPV of 2011) was an advertisement for WM28, 12 months away in an industry were it can be dangerous to book anything more than 2 months in advance due to high injury levels. Do NOT be surprised if Cena is pulled from WWeTv sometime around Survivor Series to protect this Main Event.
WrestleMania came across as a 'Great One' vanity project.

Now, for anyone even thinking about bringing up Jeff Hardy - this was nothing to do with the Icon. He was visibly unhappy at that outcome himself.

Whereas Dwayne has come across from his last brush with Sport's Entertainment as an egotistical prick (face) who was only there for two things - money and promotion; whether it's liked or not Steve has come across as having great integrity, sticking with TNA because they've always been good to him rather than running to WWe for a big payday and some ego stroking.

I signed up to vote here but I can't for whatever reason. For what it's worth my favourite wrestler is The Rock and I'd have voted for him. People act as in in-ring talent means anything more than its ability to entertain you. The Rock didn't have to do a million submission moves and roll around on the mat to get the crowd going. I know Sting's often described as charismatic, but really only the likes of The Rock and Hogan possessed that true characteristic that allowed them to transcend the business. To count against The Rock that he achieved pretty much everything in the business in such a short space of time is stupid, it merely means that he had enough talent not to spend his early years in a second rate promotion. Vote Rocky!

I voted for Sting, I just like how he's the biggest name never to be in WWE and it would be cool a non WWE guy winning this tournament.

Man this is a close one! 66-64 to Sting right now

Come on Team Bring It, give The Rock your vote

He is probably the only man left in the business whose return can be booked a full year in advance and still be relevant when the match comes around. That is how important The Rock is to the WWE. He is a phenomenon. Sting is a legend, one of the greatest, but I have to vote for Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back