Atlanta Region, Fifth Round: (1) Bret Hart vs. (2) The Rock

Who Wins This Match

• Bret Hart

• The Rock

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a fifth round match in the Wrestlezone Tournament.

This match takes place in the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia.

georgia_dome.jpg

#1 Bret Hart

bret_hart.jpg

Vs.

#2 The Rock

28452_the-rock_l.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 60 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

The final three rounds are a one night tournament. Any damage sustained in these matches carries over to the next round.

Voting will open in 48 hours and will be open for five days and all posts must be non-spam. You may use the 48 hours to present your cases as to why either competitor should/should not win.​

This has got to go to Bret Hart. Why? Because he's a much better worker than the Rock, and he doesn't lose nearly as often. I've taken shits longer than the average length of reign of The Rock's World Championship runs. Rock is underrated in the ring, and we all know what he can do on the mic, but he's not Bret Hart.

Bret Hart was VERY good on the mic, was incredible in the ring, has a much larger variety of weapons to use, and is a much more savvy in-ring worker. Plus he's not a sellout (for those of you who buy into that kind of thing).

Vote Bret Hart. He's just better.

Strange I have agreed with Sly on all my picks this round. I too believe Hart gets the victory in this match. Hart is a much more technically gifted superstar who in his prime could beat the likes of anyone. Rock was good but honestly was not as good as everyone believes him to be. If this was a promo giving battle this tournament goes to the Rock but it is not so clearly Hart wins. There are very few overall better performers in the Ring than Hart and for that reason my vote goes to Bret the Hitman hart.

Also he is from Calgary Canada which I am from so I have to vote for my home town hero.

Bret Hart and it's not even much of a choice. They are two of the greatest of all-times, but Hart was "The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be" for a reason. Because he was that damn good. He put on great matches routinely and has had some of the most classic matches in WWE history. The Rock was great on the mic, but so was Hart. He was able to get cheered as a face and booed mercilessly as a heel. He was the reason I used to hate Canada.

Bret Hart should win this without much of a problem.

Think it's close as this match will be a long affair, with a lotta back and forth signature move kickouts. Technically, Bret Hart was unmatched but The Rock was a bigger star and has always had amazing match tempo. He could wrestle with the best, no doubt.

But then again The Rock, even at his peak, lost a lotta matches. Bret at his peak did as well, but not as many. I see The Rock tapping out to the sharpshooter in 26:34.

P.S: The Rock may be bloodied.

Tough decision, I like both guys a lot. But in the end, Bret takes this one.

Going kayfabe, Bret had greater success in tournaments. He won the King of the Ring in 1991, and again in 1993. He also beat Chris Benoit and Sting, in one night, to win WCW Mayhem (along with the World Heavyweight Championship). The Rock won Survivor Series: Deadly Game in 1998, but each victory was tainted. Not a single clean victory on that particular evening. He lost at King of the Ring in 1998 to Ken Shamrock, and again to Chris Jericho at Vengeance in 2001. The Rock just isn't very good in tournaments, while Bret Hart is.

Outside of tournament success, this one isn't easy. I'm voting Bret, because I think he's better. I definitely see guys in this tournament I would vote for over Bret Hart, but The Rock isn't one of them. Rock was better on the mic, and that's about it.

I'm voting Bret because he's better in tournaments, and I think he's a better wrestler.

The Rock will not advance. Why? Because his opponent is, for good reason, one of the best wrestlers in the past 20 years- Bret Hart.

This isnt a battle of whit & one-liners. This is not who is more electrifying or has the better movie career. This is a wrestling match. The Rock would no doubt hold his own, but for a very short length of time. We all know Bret is tough & the only way Rock has a chance is to brawl with the Hitman. Unfortunately, Bret grew up in the dungeon & can hold his own while dishing out some brutal punishment. Hitman will take him apart with his technical ability, fantastic ring smarts & ultimately lock in the sharpshooter.

Hitman wins without a problem.

The tournament statistic is not exactly very relevant here. It is the first round of a tournament and The Rock stands as much of a chance of winning it as does Bret Hart. The Rock has not lost in the first round of a one night tourney ever and niether has Bret so this stat is not relevant. Later into the tournament Bret's experience and record might come into play but not here.

I am voting for Rock here. The Rock is simply much more entertaining than Bret. For all the great feuds that Bret has participated in he cannot make the crowd hang on to every word of his like The Rock does. If The Rock was on the show you had a reason to tune in regardless of what he was doing. Bret, for all his greatness in the ring, could not do that. The Rock was simply a better draw.

Both have contributed immensely to the business but while Rock left as a major Hollywood star, Bret brought a lot of bad publicity to the business with the Montreal Screwjob. When you talk about contribution you have to talk about negative contribution as well and that is what Bret made to the business. As it stands Rock's contributions have to be considered greater than those of Bret.

Even without the screwjob, I'd say that Rock's contributions are bigger. He played a pivotal role in the Monday Night Wars. He took over from Austin as the face of the company in 1999 and the company progressed without a hitch. That is not a mean feat to accomplish as Austin was still the most popular man in pro wrestling when he left for his surgery. He has also put over his fair share of people.

A lot of people make a huge deal of Rock losing a lot but I do not think that he would have lost to a Bret Hart in his prime. In their respective primes, I have no reason to believe that Bret would have been a bigger star than Rock. Rock generally lost to a bigger star in his prime or an up and comer. Bret Hart, in his prime was not an up and comer, and I have no reason to believe he would have been a bigger star than Rock.

Bret Hart is the better wrestler but it is not always the better wrestler who wins the contest. In a contest between a great wrestler and a charismatic wrestler, if I were a betting man, I would place my bet on the more charismatic wrestler walking out the winner. That is just how pro wrestling works and Rock is undoubtedly the more charismatic wrestler.

Vote Rock!!!

I debated hard against The Rock last round but there is no way I can put him over Hart. Bret is without a doubt a great wrestler and has had several great matches, but overall I find the Rock to be the more entertaining of the two.

I never really cared for Hart until many years after I started watching wrestling. And I guess that could be blamed on the fact that when I started watching wrestling he was on his way out of the WWF so I never really got to see and enjoy his matches during his prime. Like I said, I didn't start caring for him as a wrestler after many years of watching wrestling and by that time I had already been extremely spoiled as a fan during the Attitude Era. So I didn't really receive the same level of entertainment from his matches as I did from the matches of guys like The Rock and Stone Cold for example.

Ultimately, I do find The Rock much more entertaining in just about everything he did and I guess some of it can be blamed on the era in which I started watching wrestling but unfortunately it's not something I could have prevented. Maybe if I started watching during Hart's prime my vote might be different. Anyways, both are great wrestlers and great entertainers and I really don't think voting for either one here is wrong, but my vote will be going to Rocky.

Man, I really wish I could go with The Rock here, but I just don't see anyway that I can justify it. Bret was a much better in ring worker, and I mean MUCH BETTER. I guess I could say I'd vote for Rocky based off of charisma and popularity. I don't know. Someone help me in justifying a vote for Rock.

The Rock is a better professional wrestler than Bret Hart. He's more charismatic, he's FAR better on the mic, he's much more well-known, and bottom line, he's a much, much bigger draw. The Rock is just a bigger star than Bret Hart is or ever came close to being.

As far as in-ring work, Bret Hart's was more realistic, but who cares? Rocky's was more entertaining.

Vote Rocky. He's more important to history, he's a far bigger draw, and bottom line, he's just better.

I'm voting for the Rock. To me, the Rock was the total and complete package, and that's reflected by his victory in the previous round against Randy Savage. Bret was probably the better wrestler in-ring, but the Rock was one of the greatest when taking everything into account (top 3 I'd say, but that's just me). Also, Bret would indeed suit the tournament format, but let's not discount that Rock also won a tournament at the Survivor Series to capture his first WWF championship.

I have to vote for The Hitman here.

Rocky is one of my all time favourites, I have never failed to be entertained by that guy on the mic or in the ring. He is probably the most charismatic wrestler I have ever seen,

However, being able to talk a good game can only get you so far and against Bret Hart, The Rock is up against one of the true technical greats of the business. He may be underrated in the ring, but Rock's arsenal is not on the level of Bret Hart's and Hart can pick apart any part of The Rock's body he chooses at any time.

Bret was just as popular in his prime as The Rock was, he was THE star of the WWE for several years, and is rightly remembered as a legend in the business. I love The Rock, I really do, but Bret Hart was a better WRESTLER.

For that reason he has my vote.

Watch out people, things are about to get Rocky!

He may have defeated the real people's champion in Randy Savage, but that doesn't mean I still don't love me some Rock. He was one of the things that made me watch wrestling when I was younger, and he is one of my favorite guys to look back upon and watch now. Hell, there's even a possibility that I'll get to see him make some very memorable moments over this week! Am I biased here? You bet your candy ass I am!

Bret Hart was before my time, but that doesn't mean I don't recognize how great a worker he was or how much of a complete package he was. He was an amazing talent, one of the best to ever step in the ring, but he was no Rocky. Bret Hart might be what some people like, and I can dig him, but he didn't have the oozing charisma of The Rock, he didn't have the over-the-top personality of The Rock, he didn't have the ability to electrify the world like The Rock did.

I'll wrap up with one last thing. Look at both of these men's recent returns to WWE; both unexpected, both jaw dropping, both very special moments in wrestling history. Who got the bigger reaction despite not having the negative history with the WWE and having appeared in the WWE more recently? The Rock.

That's why I'm voting Rock.

I really can't see anyone putting up a decent argument of why the Rock should go over Bret here. Other than mic skills, the Rock hasn't got a prayer against Bret Hart.

Bret was perfection in a wrestling ring. Botches weren't a part of Bret's repertoire, along with spot-monkey tricks, distractions, or anything else of that nature. He didn't showboat to the crowd during his matches. He focused on the task at hand and dissected his opponents, one by one. Bret was probably one of the only top-level superstars in history that was all-business in a wrestling ring, regardless of whether he was a babyface or heel.

The Rock was a fantastic wrestler. His overall stardom gives good reasoning to put up a fight in this match but would never lead him to a victory. This is just a case of a great wrestler losing to a much greater one (pun intended).

Bret Hart should go over here.

This definitely goes to The Rock. Outside of in ring work there is nothing that Hart has on The Rock and Rocky is pretty underrated when it comes to in ring work. People can talk about big matches that The Rock has lost but in basically every one of those he lost because of 1 of 2 reasons.

1. He was facing a heel who used some sort of underhanded tactics or interference.

2. His opponent was Steve Austin.

Bret Hart would almost certainly be a face here and his name isn't Steve Austin. Besides that, Rocky has won just as many big matches as he lost. Bret Hart wasn't exactly Hulk Hogan in terms of win/loss record. Let's also not forget that when The Rock was at his peak he had far more competition the Hart ever had. There were a few great names Bret had to go against but for every great name there were also a bunch of random mid carders he would feud with. The Rock was consistently going up against names like Austin, Taker, Kurt Angle, Triple H, and Mick Foley. He also took on guys similar to Hart in style like Chris Jericho and Chris Benoit. It would be a close match but The Rock would come out on top.

I really can't see anyone putting up a decent argument of why the Rock should go over Bret here. Other than mic skills, the Rock hasn't got a prayer against Bret Hart.

Bret was perfection in a wrestling ring. Botches weren't a part of Bret's repertoire, along with spot-monkey tricks, distractions, or anything else of that nature. He didn't showboat to the crowd during his matches. He focused on the task at hand and dissected his opponents, one by one. Bret was probably one of the only top-level superstars in history that was all-business in a wrestling ring, regardless of whether he was a babyface or heel.

The Rock was a fantastic wrestler. His overall stardom gives good reasoning to put up a fight in this match but would never lead him to a victory. This is just a case of a great wrestler losing to a much greater one (pun intended).

Bret Hart should go over here.

This simply isn't true. Rocky is a FAR bigger draw in historical terms, and it's really not close. Bret was on top of the company for one of it's worst periods. Rocky was on top for one of its best. Rocky is considerably more athletic and charismatic than Bret. He's also considerably more important to wrestling history than Bret Hart.

Kayfabe wise, the people who gave Rocky the most trouble were brawlers or bigger men, not technicians. He has a great, great record against Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Kurt Angle.

Vote for THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MAN IN SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT, THE ROCK!

This simply isn't true.

Yes it is. You're just in denial. ;)

Rocky is a FAR bigger draw in historical terms, and it's really not close.

Ahhh, the draw factor. Age old argument that's been proved to be unimportant on many occasions. How can one argue about draw power during a period when (arguably) the most popular entity in history left the top company for a rival company with equal opposition, and took the audience with him? I doubt that even the Rock could've pulled numbers for the WWE during that time. But hat's off to Bret for keeping the company interesting.

Bret was on top of the company for one of it's worst periods.

It's so convenient to blame Bret for that. Face facts - Hogan left the WWE and went to WCW. The WWE's talent pool jumped ship. You need pawns, bishops, knights, etc to play chess... not just a King.

Rocky was on top for one of its best.

Even fucking Hornswoggle would've been popular during a time where Austin, Taker, Triple H, Foley, Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, Hardy Boyz, Edge, Christian, and many others were a part of the roster instead of guys like Adam Bomb and Bastion Booger. Granted, I'm not taking away from the Rock but let's give credit where credit is due.

Rocky is considerably more athletic and charismatic than Bret.

What?!? Why?!? Because Dwayne Johnson played football in college? Bret's conditioning, athleticism, and agility are the three most proven factors that put him over the Rock here. Your opinion (with no backing facts) means nothing here.

He's also considerably more important to wrestling history than Bret Hart.

And there you go... probably the most asinine and ridiculous statement of the round. Are you on drugs? Bret Hart is a part of one of the greatest pro-wrestling legacies in all of sports entertainment. He was the Royce Gracie of the Hart family. He was involved in one of the most controversial angles in wrestling history (which coincidentally kept him relevant in the WWE for 13 years after he left). He formed one of the greatest stables in history (Hart Foundation). He was one of the greatest tag team champions of all time... one of the greatest IC champions of all time... and one of the greatest WWE champions of all time. His resume doesn't piss on the Rock's but it damn sure tops it.

Kayfabe wise, the people who gave Rocky the most trouble were brawlers or bigger men, not technicians. He has a great, great record against Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, and Kurt Angle.

Are you making this up as you go along? He lost to Jericho for the WCW title at Vengeance 2001, lost to Lance Storm on Raw, lost to Jericho (who defeated Austin) for the Undisputed title, and lost to Kurt Angle at various Raw and Smackdown tapings...

It's not as clear-cut as you make it out to be. While I applaud your effort, appreciate your passion and respect your decision, it just isn't correct here. Bret Hart tops the Rock in every way. Not by much, but enough to gain the victory.

I'm going the Rock, and I really can't see how this should be close.

I've bashed the Rock on occasion, and was never a big believer in the man for the first couple of years in his career, but I did a 180 on him and realize how big he was and still is to the business. The Rock was a solid athlete, and solid as all hell in the ring. His charisma is enough to cover up for any weakness in the ring, and his mic skills are matched by no one.

Bret Hart is great, but he's not top tier in my opinion. I seem to remember being bored to tears with Bret Hart while I was growing up. In fact, I think the only time I truly enjoyed the entire character of Bret Hart was during his run from Survivor Series 1996 to 1997. That's it. That one year was the only year he was the complete package.

Yes, Bret Hart was solid in the ring his entire career, and I won't deny that. However, I wasn't entertained by Bret Hart. In fact, his time on top (along with HBK) are reasons I stopped watching in 1995. Solid workers, but just flat out dull. The Rock is the complete package, and gets my vote.

Yes it is. You're just in denial. ;)

We shall see.

Ahhh, the draw factor. Age old argument that's been proved to be unimportant on many occasions. How can one argue about draw power during a period when (arguably) the most popular entity in history left the top company for a rival company with equal opposition, and took the audience with him? I doubt that even the Rock could've pulled numbers for the WWE during that time. But hat's off to Bret for keeping the company interesting.

Facts are facts. Rocky went head to head with Hulk Hogan also, and he had much more success than Bret did. Not to mention that Bret wasn't getting his ass kicked by nWo vs. WCW, he was getting his ass kicked by "The Alliance to End Hulkamania" and the Dungeon of Doom. No way to spin this.

Lots of IWC fans like to discount the "draw" argument because, bottom line, most of their favorites don't fare very well in this category. That's just how it is. Sadly, this is the actual point of the whole industry. People are given wins, losses, and championships BASED on their ability to draw.

It's so convenient to blame Bret for that. Face facts - Hogan left the WWE and went to WCW. The WWE's talent pool jumped ship. You need pawns, bishops, knights, etc to play chess... not just a King.

Once again, Rocky and Co. were going against Hogan, too. Not to mention arguably the hottest angle of all time, the nWo.

Even fucking Hornswoggle would've been popular during a time where Austin, Taker, Triple H, Foley, Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, Hardy Boyz, Edge, Christian, and many others were a part of the roster instead of guys like Adam Bomb and Bastion Booger. Granted, I'm not taking away from the Rock but let's give credit where credit is due.

Pretty unfair examples. Bret had Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Diesel (Kevin Nash), Razor Ramon (Scott Hall), Lex Luger, and more with him. Some of all-time greats on that list, and even Luger, who gets massive hate, was a big part of the early nWo angle that kicked the shit out of WWF and Bret. Hell, around here Shawn is revered as maybe the greatest wrestler ever.

What?!? Why?!? Because Dwayne Johnson played football in college? Bret's conditioning, athleticism, and agility are the three most proven factors that put him over the Rock here. Your opinion (with no backing facts) means nothing here.

No, because he was just more athletic. He was bigger, faster, and stronger. He was more agile. He jumped higher. Not sure what more you need to prove superior athleticism. Brets game and skillset was centered around precision, not athleticism. He was methodical in the ring, not explosive.

And there you go... probably the most asinine and ridiculous statement of the round. Are you on drugs? Bret Hart is a part of one of the greatest pro-wrestling legacies in all of sports entertainment. He was the Royce Gracie of the Hart family. He was involved in one of the most controversial angles in wrestling history (which coincidentally kept him relevant in the WWE for 13 years after he left). He formed one of the greatest stables in history (Hart Foundation). He was one of the greatest tag team champions of all time... one of the greatest IC champions of all time... and one of the greatest WWE champions of all time. His resume doesn't piss on the Rock's but it damn sure tops it.

That's nice. Rocky is arguably the most well-known wrestler OF ALL TIME (though I feel he's probably second behind Hogan). Bret is more like the Royce Gracie of the Hart family in that he's become MASSIVELY overrated by the people who subjugate themselves to that family and he likes to overinflate his own record (putting himself on the same level as Hogan, Austin, and yes, the Rock) and glossing over his losses as not real (pretending like drawing power isn't a big deal).

Are you making this up as you go along? He lost to Jericho for the WCW title at Vengeance 2001, lost to Lance Storm on Raw, lost to Jericho (who defeated Austin) for the Undisputed title, and lost to Kurt Angle at various Raw and Smackdown tapings...

That's nice, you used anecdotal examples. Rocky is 29-20 against Jericho, Benoit, Angle, and Storm (because you included him; BTW, Storm won by count out after Rock cleanly pinned him before that) including a dominant 11-2 against Benoit, the closest to Bret Hart. This is in singles matches or multi-man singles matches.

It's not as clear-cut as you make it out to be. While I applaud your effort, appreciate your passion and respect your decision, it just isn't correct here. Bret Hart tops the Rock in every way. Not by much, but enough to gain the victory.

I appreciate your effort as well, but I think you're flat-out wrong. Outside of realism, Rocky beats Bret Hart in every relevant and historical way.

We shall see.

DUN, DUN, DUNNNNN... (sorry, couldn't help myself :))

Facts are facts. Rocky went head to head with Hulk Hogan also, and he had much more success than Bret did. Not to mention that Bret wasn't getting his ass kicked by nWo vs. WCW, he was getting his ass kicked by "The Alliance to End Hulkamania" and the Dungeon of Doom. No way to spin this.

I didn't spin anything. You mention Rocky going head to head with Hogan but this was after all of that already-developed, home-grown WWE talent took their popularity and jumped to WCW and after guys like Foley, Austin, Taker, and the rest of my previous list already became established. I think you've got your time tables a little twisted.

Lots of IWC fans like to discount the "draw" argument because, bottom line, most of their favorites don't fare very well in this category. That's just how it is. Sadly, this is the actual point of the whole industry. People are given wins, losses, and championships BASED on their ability to draw.

Fact is that Bret Hart is NOT one of my favorites. Furthermore, I never liked him as a singles star when he got to main event level. But I won't discount his accomplishments and what he had to work with. I made this argument when I won the Debate League a few years back. There was much more to Bret's lack of draw than straight numbers.

Once again, Rocky and Co. were going against Hogan, too. Not to mention arguably the hottest angle of all time, the nWo.

This was years after Bret left the company and jumped to WCW, after DX became the WWE's version of the nWo, and after all of WWE's talent had established themselves. Once again, you are describing stuff that happened 3-4 years after what I'm talking about. Bret lead the NewGen era from 1994-1998... Rock won his first world title in 1998. Irony? I think not.

Pretty unfair examples.

Not really.

Bret had Shawn Michaels,

He wasn't even en established main event superstar until two years into Bret's "leadership" of the NewGen era.

Undertaker,

The only established star who didn't draw dick in that time period.

Diesel (Kevin Nash),

Drew less than Taker did as champ.

Razor Ramon (Scott Hall),

Seriously?

Lex Luger, and more with him.

All of whom didn't draw enough to even be given the WWE championship.

Some of all-time greats on that list,

...who weren't great in that period...

and even Luger, who gets massive hate,

WCW-established. Was a failure in the WWE to the point where they had to keep the title on Bret and Yoko-fucking-zuna because he was so bad.

was a big part of the early nWo angle that kicked the shit out of WWF and Bret.

Luger was nothing more than a guy who showed up on the first episode of Nitro. He wasn't a part of the nWo then. He feuded with them but people didn't pay to see him... they paid to see WWF guys invade WCW. So once again, WWF superstars that had advantages over Bret to begin with were the ones that took his ratings and buyrates.

Hell, around here Shawn is revered as maybe the greatest wrestler ever.

Not back then. He was just a blooming main eventer.

No, because he was just more athletic. He was bigger, faster, and stronger. He was more agile. He jumped higher. Not sure what more you need to prove superior athleticism. Brets game and skillset was centered around precision, not athleticism. He was methodical in the ring, not explosive.

Speed and size never stopped Bret from defeating men like Sid, Undertaker, Yokozuna, and Diesel. Bret had more stamina, skill, agility, and the like than all of those guys. How can you downgrade Bret like that? It's all opinionated and speculation on your end which is completely unfair. Stick to facts here. (PS - jumping high means nothing.)

This part of the argument was about athleticism as it pertained to being in a wrestling ring... not who could run the 40 quicker. Bret was more conditioned than possibly any wrestler that ever existed. I'm not saying the Rock wasn't anywhere near this level of training or discipline but Bret had the edge.

That's nice. Rocky is arguably the most well-known wrestler OF ALL TIME (though I feel he's probably second behind Hogan). Bret is more like the Royce Gracie of the Hart family in that he's become MASSIVELY overrated by the people who subjugate themselves to that family and he likes to overinflate his own record (putting himself on the same level as Hogan, Austin, and yes, the Rock) and glossing over his losses as not real (pretending like drawing power isn't a big deal).

Once again, you're taking it like I say Rock is dogshit and Bret is god. Not true. You claim that the Rock is a "more important to the wrestling industry." More popular? Arguable but I'd lean towards it. As for importance, the Rock's short career didn't come near what Bret and his family did for the industry.

I appreciate your effort as well, but I think you're flat-out wrong. Outside of realism, Rocky beats Bret Hart in every relevant and historical way.

That's cool but I disagree. Good debate, though.

DUN, DUN, DUNNNNN... (sorry, couldn't help myself :))

Understandable. This all very dramatic. ;)

I didn't spin anything. You mention Rocky going head to head with Hogan but this was after all of that already-developed, home-grown WWE talent took their popularity and jumped to WCW and after guys like Foley, Austin, Taker, and the rest of my previous list already became established. I think you've got your time tables a little twisted.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

Fact is that Bret Hart is NOT one of my favorites. Furthermore, I never liked him as a singles star when he got to main event level. But I won't discount his accomplishments and what he had to work with. I made this argument when I won the Debate League a few years back. There was much more to Bret's lack of draw than straight numbers.

There's always a context to numbers, but there's just no denying that business dropped when Bret Hart was champion, and didn't recover until other stars took over. Hell, when Bret came back for a highly advertised, triumphant, 15-years-in-the-making return, the Raw rating barely moved. Meanwhile, the week after the Rock came back (using the next week since his return was unadvertised), they jumped from a 3.14 to a 3.83. And those numbers can very much be used straight up.

This was years after Bret left the company and jumped to WCW, after DX became the WWE's version of the nWo, and after all of WWE's talent had established themselves. Once again, you are describing stuff that happened 3-4 years after what I'm talking about. Bret lead the NewGen era from 1994-1998... Rock won his first world title in 1998. Irony? I think not.

So, once Bret Hart rode all the momentum and goodwill towards him from the wrestling community over to WCW, the WWF's ratings INCREASED. The WWF was CONSISTENTLY getting below a 3.0 in the months (note the plural) before Bret Hart left, and IMMEDIATELY upon his departure, the ratings went 3.0 or better for the remainder of the year (and the duration of the Attitude Era) outside of one night in December. That's just facts, Jack.

Not really.

Definitely. You picked terrible representatives for Bret Harts cohorts and used only the cream of the crop for Rockys.

He wasn't even en established main event superstar until two years into Bret's "leadership" of the NewGen era.

Yeah, if you're going to take "Angle, Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, Hardy Boyz, Edge, Christian, and many others", I'm definitely taking Shawn Michaels.

The only established star who didn't draw dick in that time period.

If you're taking him in the Attitude Era, I'm definitely taking him in the New Generation.

Drew less than Taker did as champ.

But more than Bret.

Seriously?

Yes. He was one of the biggest cogs of the nWo and he was also insanely over and on the verge of being a Main Eventer when he left the WWF.

All of whom didn't draw enough to even be given the WWE championship.

Neither did a lot of the guys you mentioned helping Rocky. Heck, Roddy Piper and Ted DiBiase, too. Doesn't mean they don't count.

WCW-established. Was a failure in the WWE to the point where they had to keep the title on Bret and Yoko-fucking-zuna because he was so bad.

Hardly a failure, he was Main Eventing WWF shows, big ones, just like Bret Hart was. Hell, it's pretty much an acknowledged misstep to not put the title on Luger at Summerslam after the Lex Express.

Luger was nothing more than a guy who showed up on the first episode of Nitro. He wasn't a part of the nWo then. He feuded with them but people didn't pay to see him... they paid to see WWF guys invade WCW. So once again, WWF superstars that had advantages over Bret to begin with were the ones that took his ratings and buyrates.

He was the main opponent for nWo for awhile, the guy fans were desperate to see take the title off Hogan (and popped huge for when he did on Nitro to famously end Hollywood Hogan's original title reign.)

Not back then. He was just a blooming main eventer.

Again, you used examples of guys who weren't Main Eventers until well into the Rock's time on top. Can't have it both ways.

Speed and size never stopped Bret from defeating men like Sid, Undertaker, Yokozuna, and Diesel. Bret had more stamina, skill, agility, and the like than all of those guys. How can you downgrade Bret like that? It's all opinionated and speculation on your end which is completely unfair. Stick to facts here. (PS - jumping high means nothing.)

The whole tournament is based on opinion with very little in the way of objective facts. The main objective facts are win/loss record, title reigns, and mainly drawing power, and you've been dismissive of that.

This part of the argument was about athleticism as it pertained to being in a wrestling ring... not who could run the 40 quicker.

Now you're just marginalizing my argument. Bret was a plodder in the ring. Rock was much more explosive. That very much involved in-ring, and was very much a product of Rocky's superior athleticism.

Bret was more conditioned than possibly any wrestler that ever existed.

You tell me to stick with facts, and then say something like this? This is totally your opinion.

I'm not saying the Rock wasn't anywhere near this level of training or discipline but Bret had the edge.

I agree that Bret had superior discipline.

Once again, you're taking it like I say Rock is dogshit and Bret is god. Not true. You claim that the Rock is a "more important to the wrestling industry." More popular? Arguable but I'd lean towards it. As for importance, the Rock's short career didn't come near what Bret and his family did for the industry.

It's arguable that Bret Hart is more popular than Bret Hart? Maybe in Canada. Maybe. Importance? Hell yes. Rocky is the bigger star. He did things that nobody had done before. Bret did not.

That's cool but I disagree. Good debate, though.

Good debate to you, sir.

One last point: Rock and Bret have one singles match to their history. This is back when Rock was RIGHT after Rocky Maivia became The Rock...and Bret was in his prime. The result is a Rocky Maivia win.

Vote Rocky. He's the man. He's better. And he beat Bret head to head.

This has got to go to Bret Hart. Why? Because he's a much better worker than the Rock, and he doesn't lose nearly as often.

Maybe because he didn't work as many matches, or on as many shows, as the Rock did in their different eras? :shrug:

What angle are you trying to work from, by saying that Hart didn't lose as much as the Rock - when the Rock actually wrestled on more televised shows than Hart did? Hart was barely shown on the weekly Raw telecast from 1993-1995. He was on maybe once every month, and when he was on - it was normally against a jobber, or complete "no-name" which is a big reason why he hardly ever lost.

Rock competed on a weekly basis, on both Raw and Smackdown, and arguably won more than he lost. So in no way does your "Hart didn't lose as much" logic play into anything here, unless you're willing to accept that "Hart didn't WIN as much, either".

I've taken shits longer than the average length of reign of The Rock's World Championship runs. Rock is underrated in the ring, and we all know what he can do on the mic, but he's not Bret Hart.

Your Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde routine between Edge/Austin and Hart/Rock has my head spinning. On one side, you're damn near promoting Austin solely because he was a figure head for the industry - but on the other, you're claiming The Rock shouldn't win here, when his shits have drawn bigger than Hart's entire career.

Bret Hart was VERY good on the mic, was incredible in the ring, has a much larger variety of weapons to use, and is a much more savvy in-ring worker. Plus he's not a sellout (for those of you who buy into that kind of thing).

Many individuals don't recall this, but Rock and Bret Hart have indeed met once before. Before Rocky's "prime" and as Bret was close to leaving the Company, yet the top heel in the business - Rock took everything Hart had, and it lead to Hart having to get himself DQ'd just to save what little dignity he had left. Now, just at onto that the Rock that everyone does know.. and there is no way Bret Hart wins here.

I'm not sold completely, but right now - I have a hard time believing Bret Hart has anything it takes to win against the Rock. So I'm leaning toward the Rock.

I'm going with The Rock.

While Bret Hart has the home arena advantage with it being in Atlanta, the former home of WCW, I can't see The Rock tapping out. That's what it would come down to.

Bret Hart would try and try and try to slap The Sharpshooter on him, but The Rock would either break the hold or get to the ropes.

Eventually, Bret Hart, while he is a technically sound wrestler, would get aggravated and make a mistake, allowing The Rock to capitalize with a Rock Bottom.

That's how I see it ending.

While Bret Hart has the home arena advantage with it being in Atlanta, the former home of WCW

Technically Bret will always be considered a WWF guy, saying he has the home field advantage is off the mark a bit- ya kno, being from Canada & all.

I can't see The Rock tapping out. That's what it would come down to.

Ya, cuz one of the best technical wrestlers of all time couldnt make Rock tap to the sharpshooter? The same move Rock uses a terrible version of? So Ken Shamrock can make Rock tap, but The Hitman cant? Your statement makes little sense b\c thats exactly what it would come down to.

Eventually, Bret Hart, while he is a technically sound wrestler, would get aggravated and make a mistake, allowing The Rock to capitalize with a Rock Bottom.

Your last statement makes Bret seem like a bumbling idiot or so full of rage he would forget the plan. Just how often did you see Bret make a mistake? Ive seen alot of his matches & he is as smart as they come in the ring. Sure something might go wrong in the plan, but unlikely something so bad he would lose because of it. Plus, when Bret seemed to get frustrated, he still was composed- just a more dangerous & cunning. An angry Bret Hart isnt something to be taken lightly & is rarely seen.

Rock might be better on the mic, but in the ring- Bret has this won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back