An analysis on why nobody read Rayne's analysis of the election

Demonstrating that you aren't a coward who builds his popularity by attacking anyone outside of a popular group dynamic, while avoiding any situation in which he might expose himself to any direct attack or have to stand up for an unpopular idea.

You know, having standards for yourself.

Demonstrating to who?

So I'm supposed to demonstrate to myself something that I'm already aware of?

Sounds like time that could be better spent attempting to rep JGlass again.

Well, yes, it's pretty easy to lie to yourself.

But let's play a game. Demonstrate to me that you aren't a coward who builds his popularity by attacking anyone outside of a popular group dynamic, while avoiding any situation in which he might expose himself to any direct attack or have to stand up for an unpopular idea.

You seem to have a hard-on for me, so we can skip past the whole "I don't care enough to" bit, which would pretty much prove my point anyways. You're already here, let's see you demonstrate some of that real intelligence you keep stroking off about.

Just playin', dog! Just playin'! I wasn't being a dick, it's your fault you're taking it the wrong way!

Yeah, that's something else I got past in middle school. I'm not your buddy. We don't have that convivial relationship where we can make insulting joke threads about each other. I maintain that kind of relationship with my intimates, but there are very few people on these boards who I would place into that category.

My, someone is sensitive now aren't they?

Those are belief systems, not values. I don't care if someone feels that the gold standard is the only proper way to operate a federal currency. I do care if they believe that hard work is the key to success, that a use of ones intelligence is the most important trait a human being can have, that they don't shape their reactions based on whether or not their friends will accept them for it.

You think intelligence is the most important trait for a human to have? I think it's empathy. Then again, neither is mutually exclusive, now is it?

I feel bad for you, for being unable to understand the distinction.

And I feel bad for you for thinking that just because I have friends that approve of what I'm doing means that what I'm doing has no value.

We can just pass by this as you clearly didn't understand the distinction between values and a belief system.

Cowards way out of a debate, start pretending your opponent doesn't understand your argument.

I understand the difference between values and a belief system, but the two aren't mutually exclusive, and it doesn't mean that people that have two separate values and two separate belief systems can't get along royally. To use NorCal as an example again (sorry Norcs, but you're coming in handy), he and I are two WILDLY different people. I'm very monogamous, and NorCal likes the variety. I'm an atheist, he's a Christian. I'm a college student, he joined the military at 17. We have a different belief system and many different values, but the fact that we share some values and respect each others' values that we don't share makes us good friends.

Yes, self-correction is a necessary trait in any set of values, no shit....

So angry. Are you sure you're just dealing with intellectual frustration?

I choose to interact with the people who choose to interact with me. I'm not shouting into an echo chamber; I've had enough people tell me that they enjoy my writing that I am secure I am reaching an audience. I do not care if that audience agrees or disagrees with what I say, but the audience I aim for is one that can enjoy a well thought out opposing opinion.

Why do you think you're alone in this mindset?

That's an opinion, not a value. Yes, I get along just fine with people who aren't of my particular creed, it's just the people that I disagree with also tend to be people who believe in hard work and the use of intelligence.

Do you honestly believe that there are more than a few people here that don't value hard work and intelligence?

...you don't see me post in the bar room that much, now do you? I make an exception when someone makes a shit-talking thread about me, and again, I don't give a shit how you interact with your buddies. I'm not one of them and have no interest in being one.

But I thought you don't care what people think about you? Why bother with responding if you don't care what they think about you?

After this thread, I probably won't come back here, to what I'm sure is the mutual happiness of several people. (See? I can be charitable too. I just threw out a big, fat softball for the crowd that can only do mediocre, backslapping one-liners. I'm not such a bad guy.)

I don't see it. I must be below mediocre one-liners.

DAMMIT, why the fuck isn't there a popcorn smiley?

This is what Gelgarin and JGlass are doing to Rayne:
:twak:

Look Rayne, I have no problems with your analysis, I actually took the time to read it the whole way through, and I actually agree with most of it...but damn dude, chill out at least a little bit. You are taking this shit WAY too seriously.

No, JGlass, you really didn't understand the difference between values and a belief system. Values have nothing to do with someone being liberal or conservative, straight or gay, whatever.

You do seem to finally get the point when you discuss empathy. What's going on here isn't empathy, the feeling of experiencing something that another person is going through. What's going on here is "group reinforcement".

Beyond that, your post is a bunch of "u mad?" responses, quoted about a dozen times, so..... yeah. U mad? Or are we YET AGAIN trying to degenerate into a contest of who can appear more casual?

DAMMIT, why the fuck isn't there a popcorn smiley?

This is what Gelgarin and JGlass are doing to Rayne:
:twak:

Look Rayne, I have no problems with your analysis, I actually took the time to read it the whole way through, and I actually agree with most of it...but damn dude, chill out at least a little bit. You are taking this shit WAY too seriously.

That's because

[YOUTUBE]H488GIlJWx4[/YOUTUBE]

Nobody was sayin' it. Or I didn't read carefully enough.:shrug:

What exactly is in that for me?
Thank you for proving my point.

I'm not interested in the "I can appear more casual" game, Davi, which is where they're trying to take the discussion. It's a way of bailing out while appealing to a group dynamic, which is exactly my point through this entire thread. Yes, they can appear more casual than I can. Those aren't the terms I'm interested in competing on.

If there are other people that go "look at Gelgarin say nothing while Rayne tries to get him to use his brain", again, I'm fine with that. I'm not writing for the bottom 50%. I am totally uninterested in appealing to the prevailing social dynamic here.

You're not a good poster.

Lol.

You should demonstrate your ability.

Who to?

Yourself.

I already know about it.

Fine, demonstrate it to me.

That doesn't sound like a productive use of my time.

You've just proven that you're not a good poster.

:confused:

Reactions: gd
Thank you for proving my point.

I'm not interested in the "I can appear more casual" game, Davi, which is where they're trying to take the discussion. It's a way of bailing out while appealing to a group dynamic, which is exactly my point through this entire thread. Yes, they can appear more casual than I can. Those aren't the terms I'm interested in competing on.

I get that...it just seems like you are actually getting geniunely angry about the whole thing, and that isn't good for your blood pressure. I LIKED your analysis. I am not criticizing it at all. It was well thought out in my opinion, and overall, you are starting to grow on me... Further, I have my moments too where I can get a little worked up, don't get me wrong. There are a few topics that I deliberately avoid responding at all to, just because I know that if I get involved, I am going to get legitimately pissed, and that it will affect the rest of my day. I learned to pick my battles because arguing about piddly little stuff is usually not worth the time and energy to do it. Picking a fight because someone wanted to emphasize that they would have repped someone is a relatively silly thing to get worked up over, that's all.

For the record, as far as group mentality goes, I can't recall if I have ever gotten a green rep from either JGlass or Gelgarin, so if there is a group dynamic, I am not defending them because of it. In fact, I am pretty sure that the only rep I have ever gotten from Gelgarin was red.

Sorry JGlass, but this guy just won me over

That's okay, I don't want you in my corner anyway, ya jerk.

No, JGlass, you really didn't understand the difference between values and a belief system. Values have nothing to do with someone being liberal or conservative, straight or gay, whatever.

Straight or gay, no, but liberal or conservative? Fuck yes it does. I value individual freedom and minority rights, and that's why I'm considered a liberal.

You do seem to finally get the point when you discuss empathy. What's going on here isn't empathy, the feeling of experiencing something that another person is going through. What's going on here is "group reinforcement".

Thanks for explaining empathy to me, I really needed the help. But the reason people group together here is because I have empathized with them. I've done it with CH David, Justin, Doc, Crock, and countless others, and that's why we have a friendship. I don't ask them to have my back in a debate like this, and for the most part, nobody has been arguing with you but me. I don't know why you're so opposed to the fact I have people that enjoy what I do. I'm guessing it's a combination of arrogance and jealousy.

Beyond that, your post is a bunch of "u mad?" responses, quoted about a dozen times, so..... yeah. U mad? Or are we YET AGAIN trying to degenerate into a contest of who can appear more casual?

I assure you, if I wanted to appear casual, I wouldn't be responding to you at all.

For the record, as far as group mentality goes, I can't recall if I have ever gotten a green rep from either JGlass or Gelgarin, so if there is a group dynamic, I am not defending them because of it. In fact, I am pretty sure that the only rep I have ever gotten from Gelgarin was red.

I may have repped you, but we certainly don't roll in the same circles. But I appreciate your honesty, even if we don't disagree on many things.

I may have repped you, but we certainly don't roll in the same circles. But I appreciate your honesty, even if we don't disagree on many things.

Hey, I am going to agree with you when I agree, and I am going to disagree with you when I disagree...it is what it is.

I just get annoyed at the claims that some make (not just Rayne, but in just about every argument ever, this seems to happen) that "you are only supporting so and so because you are buddies! If you weren't, you would OBVIOUSLY side with me!" and other things that would fall into a similar category. Some people can agree or disagree with others based on nothing but opinion of their posts, having nothing to do with personal relationships, and I don't think Rayne understands that as much as others do.

There's almost no one here that I would actually consider myself "buddies" with. Not because I don't like anyone, but because I haven't been here long enough for that label to fit.

However, I can recognize who's opinions interest me and who's don't. Hence my apathy for Rayne.

There's almost no one here that I would actually consider myself "buddies" with. Not because I don't like anyone, but because I haven't been here long enough for that label to fit.

However, I can recognize who's opinions interest me and who's don't. Hence my apathy for Rayne.

Go back to school and learn the difference between who's and whose, cuntflap

Hey, I am going to agree with you when I agree, and I am going to disagree with you when I disagree...it is what it is.

I just get annoyed at the claims that some make (not just Rayne, but in just about every argument ever, this seems to happen) that "you are only supporting so and so because you are buddies! If you weren't, you would OBVIOUSLY side with me!" and other things that would fall into a similar category. Some people can agree or disagree with others based on nothing but opinion of their posts, having nothing to do with personal relationships, and I don't think Rayne understands that as much as others do.
I don't think this is at all the case with you, and I agree that people often use that label in order to escape an argument. What we're seeing here is a lot of "I can be more casual than you, so everyone look at how cool I am."

Gelgarin, I knew my point would fly by you as soon as I switched to using your own method of attack. I'll switch back to my method. I should be playing fair, the only weapons you have are your own feigned disinterest and an appeal to a group dynamic, and it was wrong of me to so casually disarm you. The point, again, was that
Rayne said:
you are a coward who builds his popularity by attacking anyone outside of a popular group dynamic, while avoiding any situation in which he might expose himself to any direct attack or have to stand up for an unpopular idea.
I know you can tell yourself that you're such a brave, courageous, tough guy. Honestly, if you couldn't tell yourself that, there is no way you'd be able to function in the manner you do.

Yes, yes, I know, another one line post showing that you haven't left the discussion, but are too cool for it. People might rep you for that. ;)

Apathy means you don't care. When I don't care, I find something I do care about. And yet you're sitting here, repeatedly telling everyone about how little you care about what you're doing, and still talking about me.

I don't think that word means what you think it does. Antagonism would be the word you'd want, but then again, it wouldn't tell everyone how little you care and how cool that is.

I like this Gelgarin.

Less long-winded. Rayne is taking that mantle now. I wish you'd never have found the spam and saved us from the cliquey bullies.

We're doing ok Kaiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back