TNA Region, Nashville Subregion, First Round: (16) Arn Anderson vs. (17) Christian

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Arn Anderson

• Christian

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Nashville Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.

travel_g_bridgestone1x_288.jpg

WWE-Superstar-Arn-Anderson.jpg

#16. Arn Anderson

Vs.

Christian_-_September_2008.jpg

#17. Christian

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Give this one to AA.

Christian is SOOOOO overrated by this forum and the IWC as a whole that it makes me kinda sick. Sure Christian won the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Title, has been a WHC and was a player in the Attitude Era, but those wins were basically career achievement awards as opposed to being trusted as a top guy.

Arn Anderson was trusted to be a player in the NWA from day one. Back in the mid to late 80's and 90's, the NWA/WCW World TV Title was prestigious because it guaranteed a spot on TV every week. That belt could only be defended on TV tapings or PPV. And Anderson was a holder of that belt on numerous occasions, even defeating the likes of Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes for it.

Also, AA has beaten Hulk Hogan. It happened on a Nitro when Hogan was still Red and Yellow.

Vote for the Enforcer.

The Enforcer for the 4 horsemen vs the guy forever stuck in Edge's shadow. Unfortunately for Arn, Christian is in the TNA region where they gave him the NWA Championship not once, but twice. Something Arn has never done in his career. Christian gets the edge for me on his overall accomplishments.

Oh plus this is TNA, for whatever reason that had a huge boner over Christian and will book him to win in some massively stupid swerve where Arn Anderson is actually a bag of cheetos or something.

As much as it could be said that Christian lived in Edge's shadow, the same could be said of Arn and Flair's shadow.

The difference is Christian would break enough away from that shadow to win multiple world titles, while Arn, with all his greatness, never broke the mid-card glass ceiling.

Christian also managed to win world titles in two separate major national organizations, including TNA- the region represented here.

As a result, in this year's WZT Christian should get his "one more match". Sorry, I had to do it.

I wouldn't necessarily put Christian over Arn Anderson in any other region, but seeing as this is TNA, where Christian was an extremely big deal, I would. Unfortunately for Arn, this one has to go to Captain Charisma.

If you look at it people may say that Christian is forever in Edge's shadow, but he went to a different company (TNA) where he won the NWA Heavyweight Title.

Arn Anderson is forever known as one of The Four Horsemen (a big deal no doubt) but he never had the singles success of someone like Christian who can say he was world champion in two different companies.

Top that off with we're in TNA and Christian has experience beating bigger guys and I'd expect it to be a great match but Christian would win after pulling something out of the bag.

Arn Anderson was trusted to be a player in the NWA from day one. Back in the mid to late 80's and 90's, the NWA/WCW World TV Title was prestigious because it guaranteed a spot on TV every week. That belt could only be defended on TV tapings or PPV. And Anderson was a holder of that belt on numerous occasions, even defeating the likes of Ricky Steamboat and Dusty Rhodes for it.

And then losing to the likes of The Z-Man and Renegade for it.

Look, Anderson is great and all but the chances he got at being the world champion total at precisely zero. You can say Christian was given the title as a career achievement, but that's more than anyone was prepared to do for Anderson. Why? Because Anderson was always Flair's mate and never allowed to be his own guy.

Christian might well have been eclipsed by Edge, but he struck it out alone on different brands and different companies. When Flair left WCW for WWF, Anderson did nothing. When Edge left WWE, Christian became world champion. Christian wins.

I like the seeding here. I wouldn't say either guy is more talented than the other here. People love Arn's ring work and Christian has produced some crackers in his time, notably his run of matches against Orton in... '12?

The big difference is that Christian made it work for him. He stuck at it and finally got multiple world title reigns in the top company globally. He was world champ in two different companies, in fact. I would have a difficult time separating the two ordinarily based on pure talent, but with Christian's accomplishments factored in, he wins this match.

Give this one to AA.

Christian is SOOOOO overrated by this forum and the IWC as a whole that it makes me kinda sick. Sure Christian won the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Title, has been a WHC and was a player in the Attitude Era, but those wins were basically career achievement awards as opposed to being trusted as a top guy.

Also, AA has beaten Hulk Hogan. It happened on a Nitro when Hogan was still Red and Yellow.

Vote for the Enforcer.
I agree with Lariat on little, but this post is 100% correct. Christian's NWA World Championship wins were the product of him being the "big star" that jumped ship to TNA, Edge having to retire, and a win by DQ. Each time he won the title, he lost it in his first or second defense.

Anderson is a beast who would manhandle Christian. Christian is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch perform, but AA spinebusters him out of the tournament. Both men's achievements are the product of the era in which they've competed, and if you swapped eras, Christian is a jobber and Anderson is a multi-time World Champion. If you will, having both of them compete in the same era sees Anderson beat the CLB 8 times out of 10.

I like the seeding here. I wouldn't say either guy is more talented than the other here. People love Arn's ring work and Christian has produced some crackers in his time, notably his run of matches against Orton in... '12?
2011 at Over the Limit, Capitol Punishment, Money In The Bank, and Summerslam. But what happened in that feud? Orton dominated Christian, and the time Christian won the title, it was by DQ. And what happened after the match? Orton manhandled him, RKO'ing him twice off the announce table.

The big difference is that Christian made it work for him. He stuck at it and finally got multiple world title reigns in the top company globally.
He made it work for him as TNA's first big-name acquisition, nothing more. He won it by default, and in all three reigns, he lost the title quickly to "bigger stars" like Jeff Jarrett and Abyss.

He was world champ in two different companies, in fact. I would have a difficult time separating the two ordinarily based on pure talent, but with Christian's accomplishments factored in, he wins this match.
He was. But as a face in TNA, he flopped badly, losing the title to Jeff freaking Jarrett and Abyss. When he turned heel, Angle demolished him and won the title. In his first defenses both times he won the World Heavyweight Championship in the WWE, he lost the title.

That's not sustainable success. It's speculative, of course, but I imagine Anderson would have, if not eclipsing Christian's number of title wins, he'ld eclipse his level of success while holding the title.

Christian is one of my favorite performers to watch, but Anderson spinebusters him, Christian gets his 231st concussion and is knocked out cold, and Anderson advances.

You know what both of these guys would do in a tournament like this? They would put on a good first round match before losing to a better wrestler. One of them has to win though. My gut reaction is to vote for Anderson but I'm not married to the idea. This might be one of the rare times I let the region play a factor. That would give Christian the advantage. I'll read the arguments before I decide but for now consider this a vote for Arn should the voting end in a tie. I will state in a different post if I change my mind.

I agree with Lariat on little, but this post is 100% correct. Christian's NWA World Championship wins were the product of him being the "big star" that jumped ship to TNA, Edge having to retire, and a win by DQ. Each time he won the title, he lost it in his first or second defense.

Which is more than we can say for AA who never won the big title under any circumstance. You can say Christian was the big fish in a small pond but at least he was a big fish.

Anderson is a beast who would manhandle Christian. Christian is one of my favorite wrestlers to watch perform, but AA spinebusters him out of the tournament. Both men's achievements are the product of the era in which they've competed, and if you swapped eras, Christian is a jobber and Anderson is a multi-time World Champion. If you will, having both of them compete in the same era sees Anderson beat the CLB 8 times out of 10.

That is all conjecture, we have no idea how Christian would have done in AA's era nor would we know what AA would have accomplished in Christian's era. The only thing we do know is that Christian has won multiple world titles, while has not.

2011 at Over the Limit, Capitol Punishment, Money In The Bank, and Summerslam. But what happened in that feud? Orton dominated Christian, and the time Christian won the title, it was by DQ. And what happened after the match? Orton manhandled him, RKO'ing him twice off the announce table.

And what of the pay-per-views that AA main-evented? Or was he too busy letting his friend Ric Flair shine brighter than he ever could.

He made it work for him as TNA's first big-name acquisition, nothing more. He won it by default, and in all three reigns, he lost the title quickly to "bigger stars" like Jeff Jarrett and Abyss.

But he still won titles, you can discredit his title reigns as much as you like but he climbed to the top of the mountain to do it. Unlike AA who allowed himself to be a stepping stone for everybody else.

He was. But as a face in TNA, he flopped badly, losing the title to Jeff freaking Jarrett and Abyss. When he turned heel, Angle demolished him and won the title. In his first defenses both times he won the World Heavyweight Championship in the WWE, he lost the title.

That's not sustainable success. It's speculative, of course, but I imagine Anderson would have, if not eclipsing Christian's number of title wins, he'ld eclipse his level of success while holding the title.

Christian is one of my favorite performers to watch, but Anderson spinebusters him, Christian gets his 231st concussion and is knocked out cold, and Anderson advances.

You can speculate all you like, but objectively looking at their accomplishments alone you can see Christian was able to do more on his own than AA ever did.

Christian is definitely overrated but he would still beat AA. And what exactly is wrong with career achievement title reigns? It means you did your job damn well for a good number of years.

He never beat Dusty Rhodes for the TV title, he only lost the title to him. Anderson also lost the title to the likes of Tom Zenk, Bobby Eaton, and the Renegade. On top of that, it was the only singles title he ever won.

It also happened due to heavy interference. Arn isn't going to have the luxury of that interference in this tournament because everyone who would usually help him out will be off with Ric Flair.

The biggest reason Christian wins is because when he went out on his own and broke away from Edge he was still a success. He still won titles (including multiple world titles in multiple promotions) and he beat some big names. When Flair left WCW for the WWE do you want to know what AA did? He lost. A lot. Anderson without Flair instead of getting elevated did exactly the opposite. Christian may be overrated but AA damn sure is as well. Christian wins this.

Both of these guys will always be remembered for being solid wrestlers and being in the shadow of someone with more success. Christian will forever be in the shadow of Edge, and Arn in the shadow of Flair.

I don't really know who to vote for, but I'm leaning toward Arn because breaking out of the shadow of Flair was much harder than breaking out of the shadow of Edge.

Which is more than we can say for AA who never won the big title under any circumstance. You can say Christian was the big fish in a small pond but at least he was a big fish.
I never said that Christian was a "big fish" in a small pond. I said that Christian was a "Big star", quotations meant as sarcasm. He failed multiple times to win the NWA Championship from "stars" such as Monty Brown, Ron Killings, and Jeff Jarrett, before he won it on his 237th attempt.

Speaking of big, Christian has never been able to hang with bigger, more powerful wrestlers. Cena, Batista, Sheamus, Mark Henry and Big Show have all dominated Christian. His title wins have come against smaller wrestlers, or in a ladder match. Christian has more championships then Henry and Sheamus, so would he be able to beat them in this tournament too?

Anderson fits the mold of the power wrestler like the above to a "T". It's not a stretch to suggest that Christian wouldn't fare much different against Anderson then he did against the rest.
That is all conjecture, we have no idea how Christian would have done in AA's era nor would we know what AA would have accomplished in Christian's era. The only thing we do know is that Christian has won multiple world titles, while has not.
By DQ, in a ladder match with a distraction, and defeating Jeff Jarrett in his 34th try. Titles aren't the only thing to consider here, which is the mistake that you're making here. How the two would actually match up in the ring against one another is a factor. Christian's track record against power wrestlers like Anderson doesn't bode well for him here.

But he still won titles, you can discredit his title reigns as much as you like but he climbed to the top of the mountain to do it.
I'm not discrediting his reigns, I'm simply stating the facts. Yes, he climbed to the top of the mountain, kudos to him. But the way he was booked as a champion was as a joke, a wrestler who couldn't win the title without interference or a lame DQ.

And if you would argue that Edge or "Christian's Coalition" would be there to help him here, the Horseman would more then offset them, don't you think?

You can speculate all you like, but objectively looking at their accomplishments alone you can see Christian was able to do more on his own than AA ever did.
And there's the problem with your argument. Your arguing his title wins alone, not the actual manner in which he accomplished them, his failure in defending them, or his track record against wrestlers of Anderson's guild.

And with all due respect to Christian, accomplishments don't mean much when you're facing the type of wrestler you simply can't beat.

Arn Anderson is such a wrestler.

Both of these guys will always be remembered for being solid wrestlers and being in the shadow of someone with more success. Christian will forever be in the shadow of Edge, and Arn in the shadow of Flair.

I don't really know who to vote for, but I'm leaning toward Arn because breaking out of the shadow of Flair was much harder than breaking out of the shadow of Edge.

The only problem with your logic is that Arn never broke out of Flair's shadow. AA's only real success came with Flair and the Horsemen. When Flair went to the WWE in 1991 instead of elevating himself for 2 years, AA just lost a ton of matches and really didn't do shit. Christian excelled when Edge left, Arn Andersnon faltered without Flair.

Speaking of big, Christian has never been able to hang with bigger, more powerful wrestlers. Cena, Batista, Sheamus, Mark Henry and Big Show have all dominated Christian. His title wins have come against smaller wrestlers, or in a ladder match. Christian has more championships then Henry and Sheamus, so would he be able to beat them in this tournament too?

Anderson fits the mold of the power wrestler like the above to a "T". It's not a stretch to suggest that Christian wouldn't fare much different against Anderson then he did against the rest.

Outside of Mark Henry and maybe Sheamus, AA is not on the level of any of those power guys. John Cena and Batista dominated most superstars from this era and would have dominated AA so including them means little. Plus, as far as I can tell Cena and Christian only met once in a singles match and Cena won by dq. Big Show is only 2-1 against Christian in singles matches with all of those matches happening in 2001 or prior. Christian has a winning record against Mark Henry. Sheamus has dominated Christian lately but in 2011 when Christian was at his main event peak he took 2 of 3 matches from Sheamus. His so called "struggle" against power guys is greatly exaggerated.

The only problem with your logic is that Arn never broke out of Flair's shadow. AA's only real success came with Flair and the Horsemen. When Flair went to the WWE in 1991 instead of elevating himself for 2 years, AA just lost a ton of matches and really didn't do shit. Christian excelled when Edge left, Arn Andersnon faltered without Flair.

I could have worded my part better. I was trying to suggest that neither man truly broke out of the shadow of their superior running mate. Christian did find some success as a solo star, but the shadow of Edge wasn't nearly as large as the shadow of Flair.

I'm still up in the air on this matchup.

Definitely tough to put one over the other. I am going on Anderson's sheer toughness in this one and giving him the first round victory. Also the fact that his seeding is higher than Christian's without ever winning a World title. Not great reason, but going with Anderson never the less.

I never said that Christian was a "big fish" in a small pond. I said that Christian was a "Big star", quotations meant as sarcasm. He failed multiple times to win the NWA Championship from "stars" such as Monty Brown, Ron Killings, and Jeff Jarrett, before he won it on his 237th attempt.

I don't know about you, but Christian's debut consisted of A)Challenging Jeff Jarrett for the NWA title then later B)Beating Brown for a number one contendership than C) Winning the World title. It didn't take Christian no less than 3 months for Christian to win the NWA title.

We all know that is a steaming pile of crap. Considering Christian has beaten power wrestlers too. He has wins over various "Power Wrestlers" and many of them have been title defenses at that.

This would be like saying that since because Arn Anderson lost against a Technical wrestler like Bobby Eaton so therefor technical wrestlers like Christian will have his way with Anderson.

We can also used said example above and make this entire notion that Power wrestlers can't lose to technical wrestlers.

By DQ, in a ladder match with a distraction, and defeating Jeff Jarrett in his 34th try. Titles aren't the only thing to consider here, which is the mistake that you're making here. How the two would actually match up in the ring against one another is a factor. Christian's track record against power wrestlers like Anderson doesn't bode well for him here.

Wanna have a track record of "Power Wrestlers" that Christian has beaten? Monty Brown, Jack Swagger, Ezikael Jackson, Abyss, Samoa Joe, Angle (I counted him because he's close to AA's size) Inferring that Christian can't beat a power guy like AA because he lost to power guys is dumb.

I'm not discrediting his reigns, I'm simply stating the facts. Yes, he climbed to the top of the mountain, kudos to him. But the way he was booked as a champion was as a joke, a wrestler who couldn't win the title without interference or a lame DQ.

Yes you were, you went as far as to be dishonest about Christian's TNA run saying it took him 237th attempts to finally win the NWA title when it only took one match against Jarrett to win it. (Granted it was sarcasm.) Sure Christian never got booked super strongly as a champ, but how was AA booked when he was world champion?

And if you would argue that Edge or "Christian's Coalition" would be there to help him here, the Horseman would more then offset them, don't you think?

Neither of them are allowed to be in this match, so I couldn't care about either stable. However Christian didn't need the Coalition to stand out where as AA's crowning achievement as a wrestler came from being a part of the Horsemen.

And there's the problem with your argument. Your arguing his title wins alone, not the actual manner in which he accomplished them, his failure in defending them, or his track record against wrestlers of Anderson's guild.

A win is a win in the tournament, and Christian has proven he can win the big matches on his own regardless of it being clean or dirty. AA on the other hand doesn't have nearly as many big wins as Christian does.

And with all due respect to Christian, accomplishments don't mean much when you're facing the type of wrestler you simply can't beat.

Except Christian has beaten power wrestlers and can beat them, this isn't pokemon. Christian doesn't have any weakness to any "type" of wrester other than maybe main-eventers. AA was not a main-event guy.

This should be Anderson.

Here's the thing about Christian: he's a World Champion in the same vein that Jack Swagger is a World Champion. Yeah he won the title, but it's not like he did anything as champion. Think back to the title wins. He was put in a ladder match because Edge was hurt and then won his other title by disqualification. That doesn't exactly prove much about him.

Arn Anderson is a guy with a career a lot of people overlook. No he was never a World Champion, but let's look at what he did:

5 time WCW/NWA World Tag Team Champion (spent over 200 more days as a Tag Team Champion than Christian)
4 time TV Champion (combining for over two years as champion, by far the most of all time)
Second in command of the greatest stable of all time, as well as the inventor of the name and concept
Career record vs. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair: 5-1, with three pins

Christian is talented, but he's played second fiddle to Edge even after Edge retired. Anderson may be second fiddle to Flair, but he accomplished some things that Flair never did. Everything Christian did, Edge did better. This should go to Anderson and that's all there is to it.

Christian is talented, but he's played second fiddle to Edge even after Edge retired. Anderson may be second fiddle to Flair, but he accomplished some things that Flair never did. Everything Christian did, Edge did better. This should go to Anderson and that's all there is to it.

The things Anderson achieved that Flair didn't are people really going to bring them up (besides this thread) I mean I know Anderson was good but Christian was just more of a deal. Yes you can argue he was in Edge's shadow, but he was mightily over on his own in 2004/2005. He made a big splash in TNA (I know the smaller company but still) and managed to have pretty successful reigns in the company where he was completely removed from Edge. Yes his World Title reigns were probably more of a thank you/Edge retiring but if he wasn't as good as he is he wouldn't have got them. And don't forget he pretty much carried ECW from when he came back to when they got rid of it.

Since this is close, I'll throw my written vote in for Arn after KB's argument swayed me. This could go either way and I won't be upset if the guy I voted for doesn't advance. Christian has the accolades and shiny belts, Arn has the legacy and impact on the business, so both are good picks, I just went with Arn.

Arn Anderson was the most consistent member of an elite group, The Four Horsemen and the only reason Arn never had a world title reign was because he was around in an era when the titles weren't just given to anybody.

Christian was part of a comedy tag-team with Edge and always played second fiddle to Edge.

Christian only got a title reign in TNA because he was ex-WWE talent. A mid-carder in WWE is a main-eventer in TNA.

His two titles reigns in WWE were a joke as well. His first title reign was of 5 days (technically 2 days) and during his other title reign he was constantly booked to lose. Not to mention, he even won the title by DQ.

Vote Arn Anderson

The things Anderson achieved that Flair didn't are people really going to bring them up (besides this thread) I mean I know Anderson was good but Christian was just more of a deal. Yes you can argue he was in Edge's shadow, but he was mightily over on his own in 2004/2005. He made a big splash in TNA (I know the smaller company but still) and managed to have pretty successful reigns in the company where he was completely removed from Edge. Yes his World Title reigns were probably more of a thank you/Edge retiring but if he wasn't as good as he is he wouldn't have got them. And don't forget he pretty much carried ECW from when he came back to when they got rid of it.

Better to be a second banana in the top company than the top guy in a distant second company/the third tier of WWE. Christian was a deal in TNA because he had name value. Yeah he had a very good run there and was putting on good stuff for them, but at the end of the day it's in TNA instead of WWE and he went back to WWE later.

Anderson even had success in the WWE with his Tag Team Title reign. It's not a long one but they stopped the longest reign ever for the titles when they beat Demolition.

I'll admit to not having put a ton of thought into this match. I came in with Christian as my choice, read the arguments and could see the argument for Arn more than before, but I'm still sticking with Christian.

Being a presence in the title picture is worth a GREAT deal to me for me when judging this tournament. I understand that Christian's primes were a) in TNA, rightly considered far inferior to WWE or the NWA b) On a thin smackdown roster, opportunistic timing after Edge's retirement and losing frequently to the Ace in Orton at the time and c) as the Ace on a very weak WWECW roster.

That said, it's a bunch more than Anderson has ever contested for top belts. I think the argument COULD be made that Anderson added more to NWA than Christian has ever added to a roster.. probably not WWECW, but at the same time I'd agree that if prime-Anderson was around in WWE at the time he'd be equally adept at being the face of WWECW. Still, the distinctly midcard TV title, to be traded with the likes of Tom Zenk, and a monstrous tag team legacy will never be enough to vote over a multi-federation World Champion who has been a consistent presence in the upper-midcard of wherever for the best part of a decade now.

I expected to be strongly pulling for Christian. I'm closer to indifferent now, but I do still strongly think he's the right choice here.

Edit; Oh, and this being in TNA is easily enough to make this my choice. Just adding that.

Better to be a second banana in the top company than the top guy in a distant second company/the third tier of WWE. Christian was a deal in TNA because he had name value. Yeah he had a very good run there and was putting on good stuff for them, but at the end of the day it's in TNA instead of WWE and he went back to WWE later.

I know the whole 'if you're in the bigger company you're a bigger deal' argument is valid. But at the same time being at the top (regardless of how big the promotion) is still the top. Again I know being at the top of WWE is a bigger deal than being at the top of TNA but Anderson was never top of anything. And as I pointed out before Christian did carry a WWE brand. The third one admittedly but it was still an entire tv program.

Anderson even had success in the WWE with his Tag Team Title reign. It's not a long one but they stopped the longest reign ever for the titles when they beat Demolition.

Christian had some great tag runs as well (admittedly with Edge) but tag team accomplishments are pretty much moot in this tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back