TNA Region, Nashville Subregion, First Round: (1) John Cena vs. (32) Earthquake

Discussion in 'TNA Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 30, 2014.

?

Who Wins This Matchup?

1. John Cena

2. Earthquake

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

This is a first round match in the TNA Region, Nashville Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under TNA Rules. It will be held at the Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1. John Cena

Vs.

[​IMG]

#32. Earthquake

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

2. Con T.

Con T. Yaz ain't enough, I need Fluttershy

On one side, you have perhaps the best wrestler in the world right now, and a top three draw in the history, and still going.

On the other hand, you have Hogan jobber #218.

Do we really need to do this?

Dagger Dias and Jack-Hammer like this.
  3. Hollywood Naitch

Hollywood Naitch The current reigning and defending

This would undoubtably end with Cena hitting an Attitude Adjustment on 'Quake, just as he has done on Big Show in the past, showing his superhuman strength. As funny as it would be to see Cena knocked out in the first round, it simply isn't going to happen. Earthquake did get his series of matches with Hogan, but didn't win. Cena is this generation's Hogan.

Cena wins this pretty quickly.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  4. It's...Baylariat!

It's...Baylariat! Team Finnley Baylor

Cena wins by forfeit, because Tenta/Earthquake is dead and a man who is deceased can't wrestle. Just ask Terry Funk. He'll tell you.

You might not be able to see Cena, but you can see Tenta's gravestone.

Cena wins, makes a sick kid's day, then has rough, weird sex with the wrong Bella twin, causing much friction with him and the other Bella twin.

I'm bored.

Dagger Dias and Bernkastel like this.
  5. enviousdominous

enviousdominous Behold my diction

When deciding who would win this encounter, all signs point to Earthquake.

John Cena main evented Wrestlemania 28, that Wrestlemania drew bigger than any other WWE PPV in history. What were the fans paying to see? The event drew such huge numbers because the fans paid to see John Cena lose, and nobody went home disappointed. Wrestlemania 29, the event where John Cena would come back and avenge his loss to The Rock, the event took a 16% drop in the buy rate.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653556-wwe-wrestlemania-29-suffers-drastic-drop-in-buys-from-previous-year

When John Tenta chose Sumo Wrestling, he dominated Sumo Wrestling. With the jeering crowd mocking him, much like the jeering posts above this one, he still destroyed every opponent that was ever put in front of him and left with a spotless record. His potency as an athlete was so notable that Giant Baba chose him to help represent All Japan Pro Wrestling. John Tenta wasn't just an extra in AJPW, he helped make that organization into something better while being put over by legends like Jumbo Tsuruta and The Great Kabuki.

John Tenta came to the states as a relative nobody, he had to start from the bottom up all over again. He proved his mettle by performing moves that men of his size would never attempt to perform. He paved the way for big men like Rodney Anoa'i and Nelson Frazier to be taken seriously as main event performers. His abilities got the attention of Hulk Hogan, the two men had an epic feud and developed a life-long friendship as a result.

When John Tenta was written off tv, Hulk Hogan lobbied to have him brought to WCW. The true test of how great you were in a world as cut-throat as professional wrestling, is if one of the top draws demands that they be allowed to work with you. John Tenta was over in WCW as well, to the surprise of nobody.

In every endeavor John Tenta has applied himself to outside of the WWF/WWE, he's succeeded and was a class act in doing so.

When John Cena isn't having an appropriate reaction to his character dictated to us by WWE creative, he's not a very popular guy.

While ECW One Night Stand was an event created by the WWE, there's no denying what kind of fan-base had paid to be there. That event was big because John Cena came to lose.

This match is going to be held in Nashville. Keep in mind that even in Boston, John Cena draws the ire of half the crowd. The crowd has seen his act, they're bored to tears regarding his redundant spots and the only way they'll find excitement in this match is if they get to see Earthquake overpower Cena and win this match.

This match is going to be held in a TNA region under TNA rules. This makes a huge difference than if it was held in a WWE ring. The TNA crowd would welcome a man like Earthquake who despite his talents had never been allowed to dominate at the top of the card. The TNA crowd would incessantly jeer an infections pop-culture parasite like John Cena.

John Cena's accomplishments in the WWE mean nothing to a TNA crowd, they barely mean anything to the WWE crowd.

True success in the pro-wrestling world is having fulfilled a desire of the fans while also fulfilling the desires of yourself. Nobody, especially when a TNA crowd is concerned, needs to see John Cena beat Earthquake. Everybody, save for a few deluded Cena marks, needs to see Earthquake take his place in the second round in this tournament.

Con T. likes this.
  6. GI Cake

GI Cake Thank God For Sodamy.

This isn't sumo wrestling, this is wrestling wrestling. You know, the thing that Cena has dominated in the 21st century while Earthquake was Hogan Fodder.

I hate Cena as much as the next guy, but Earthquake is nowhere near the guy you support to beat Cena.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  7. enviousdominous

You quoted my entire post, and could only pick that point as something you could logically counter. I'm flattered.

I agree that this isn't sumo wrestling, I never said that it was. This is a TNA event involving two men who have never competed in TNA before.

On one side you have Earthquake, a man who was able to earn the favor of the crowd outside of his work with the WWE/WWF even when the crowd was initially against him.

On the other side you have John Cena, a man who's lost his own crowd and whose only successful effort outside of a WWE ring was his rap album.

The TNA crowd isn't going to want to see John Cena win this, and if Wrestlemania 29 is any indicator then the WWE crowd wouldn't want to see John Cena win this either.

8. GI Cake

You have Earthquake, a guy who's only note worthy accomplishment in wrestling was jobbing to Hogan.

Then you have Cena, a guy who is 50 something time world champion.

I don't care how many boxes of Fruity Pebbles Cena was on, or what Earthquake did as a sumo wrestler. All I know is Cena is at the top of the mountain, while Earthquake looked like he ate a mountain of fruity pebbles. Cena can beat the vast majority of everyone in this tournament. Meanwhile I don't even think Earthquake could beat Henry. Just hang your boots up and get ready for round two for whoever you're going to vote for simply because he is against Cena.

9. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

At one point in his career, John Tenta was this guy.

[​IMG]

His entrance was sang by ICP. A vote for John Tenta is a vote for ICP. No one wants that. Cena beats Earthquake worse than cancer did.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  10. Bythedockofthebay

Bythedockofthebay Getting Noticed By Management

I think the TNA crowd would want to see Cena win this, and even if they didn't a crowd turning on Cena is hardly an indication that he'll lose. They've turned on him and he's one some and lost some but never to someone like Earthquake.

Secondly, WM 29 was overblown shit. Triple H vs Lesnar again, Cena vs Rock again, it's not like you're saying Cena vs Rock was the only match on the card. Taking the into account and the fact I believe everyone knew going in who was going to win the three major matches and you can't heap that onto Cena's shoulders alone. It's flat out a bad assumption. Most, if not all those matches were predictable, and while I'm in favor of alot of predictable things, Wrestlemania didn't surprise anyone at 29.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  11. enviousdominous

You have Cena, a guy whose only noteworthy accomplishment that got him into the pro-wrestling business was having a particular physique. It wasn't exactly an uphill battle for him to be hand picked as the next number one guy, he never had to prove himself in the ring. He lost to CM Punk not just because CM Punk would be a bigger draw as a fresh face on the top of the card, but because at that point the only fans who were tolerating John Cena were the ones who were bored of hating him.

Then you have John Tenta, a guy who whose accomplishments in legitimate sport showed promoters that his abilities would make them money. The difference between a program with Hogan and a program with Cena is that Hogan could draw as a winner in another company's venue. The only way Cena draws huge numbers in his own company is if he loses, especially to a returning legend. John Tenta promos were high energy and strong emotion, John Cena promos are a block of wood expression with the occasional outburst of non-nonsensical thought or a silly limerick.

It doesn't matter how many world title reigns you've been handed, if that's your chief concern for who wins in this tournament then you really need to be helping out your boy Carly Colon.

And what does being at the top of the mountain mean in the pro-wrestling world? In a legitimate sport like sumo wrestling, it means destroying opponents who legitimately want to take your place at the top. In the pro-wrestling world, it used to mean relying on the viability of your opponents to lose to you like a professional so the fans can have their pipe-dream reaffirmed. These days, it means if you can't keep the crowd behind you then you will inevitably fall behind someone who can. John Cena is up against Bray Wyatt at Wrestlemania 30, he's not at the top of the mountain. John Tenta never got his due he deserved, and the crowd is a little more savvy now then they were in 1990.

12. enviousdominous

Such penetrating insight! (sarcasm)

He was coming off of a run in WCW. He was handed the Golga gimmick, much like Adrian Adonis was handed the Adorable gimmick. Both men did their jobs and played their characters flawlessly.

It's probably a surprise to a few people that the man pictured above is indeed John Tenta. He was that talented as a performer. From my memory, Golga was never booed or slapped with a "BORING" chant from the crowd. Even as a gimmick that someone as ridiculous as you would mock, he won the crowd. There's no saving Cena, no matter how he might ever try to re-invent himself.

Ladies and gentlemen of Wrestlezone, we have ourselves a historian.

A vote for Earthquake is a vote for Earthquake. ICP aren't in this tournament, and neither is Golga.

John Cena is worse than cancer? WELL!! I'll be reporting this insensitive remark to the lord mayor of Wrestlezonia!

13. GI Cake

I don't know if I can make myself any clearer, no one really cares about Tenta's sumo career. You can continue to dress up this turd all you like, but nothing changes that Tenta was a relative unknown in pro wrestling while Cena is the number one guy in Wrestling today.

14. enviousdominous

I think a claim as bold as that deserves a VERY good explanation.

Your logic train just left the tracks and went crashing up a down escalator. You don't just make a claim that TNA would want to see Cena win a match in their arena, and then put the burden of logical reason for that perspective on any of us.

I understand that in the pro-wrestling world, sometimes the bad guy wins. Sometimes a guy who's so not over he's practically under, like John Cena, gets a win.

I agree that John Cena has never lost to someone like Earthquake, he's only ever fought men like Earthquake while his career was cared for under the loving umbrella of Titansports. Sometimes the crowd boos you because you're an over heel as was the case in Earthquake, and sometimes the crowd boos you because they're sick and tired of being bored by your performances as is the case in John Cena.

What of John Cena's career isn't overblown shit?

I most certainly and not saying that Cena vs Rock was the only match on the card, I'm saying that Cena vs Rock was the main event of that card. All signs pointed to John Cena winning that match prior to the event, and buy-rates took a nose dive.

You can't blame Cena for being predictable? If he has no power over literally anything he does in regard to the many disappointments of his career, then how in the fuck can anybody credit him with what they imagine are his accomplishments?

I never assumed that Cena was ever capable of making a PPV work if it was a means of putting him over, I agree that assuming as much would be making an ass of you and me.

15. Papa Pillman

Papa Pillman I've got more Ho's than Jim Duggan

I actually love this booking. You take a huge draw and favorite in Cena and give him a fun showcase squash to get the tournament going.

It's all set-up for one easy to predict end game: After a short feeling out process, Cena would proceed to make Earthquake look like way more of threat than he ever should have looked, for like 90 seconds, before he rallies with the infamous five; giving the crowd what they came to see as he easily hoists up the 400+ pounder for the AA.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  16. enviousdominous

You know who cared about John Tenta's career in Sumo? Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta and Hulk Hogan.

You know who cared about John Cena's failure to achieve even modest success in professional bodybuilding? Stephanie McMahon.

I realize that you're incapable of recognizing the logic behind that comparison, for the sake of anyone else who might be reading I'm happy to argue the point that nobody really cares about John Tenta's accomplishments in the art of Sumo.

Dress up a turd? I'd relate that to how desperate you are to associate any of your thoughts on the matter with sound logic.

The entertainment business changes over time, it evolves with the whim of every new generation. Being the number one guy on behalf of the fans and on behalf of the WWE bookers are two different things. John Cena was the number one guy unto the fans after he beat JBL, and he lost the fans when he took on HHH at Wrestlemania 22 and the entire crowd shouted "YOU CAN'T WRESTLE!!".

The crowd hasn't seen enough of John Tenta, the crowd has seen too much of John Cena.

17. Bythedockofthebay

TNA has a very clouded history with guys that have been midcarders in the WWE. Making them champions, and giving them huge contracts they don't deserve. If you think for one moment that TNA would get Cena into a TNA ring and have him job his first match, I think it's a bit far fetched. If Cena left for TNA today, he'd be champion within a month. Even if Cena's main purpose is to lose, why have him lose to Earthquake when you can move him on for a bigger match down the road, that he could job to someone who the fans really want to see win? Sorry but John Tenta isn't that guy

And even if you're right, there is no way that you can justify Earthquake moving on when you have the possibility of Cena losing to Ed Lewis, or Steve Austin, or anyone of that ILK why would you have him go out to Earthquake with dream matches like that on the table.

His connection to children, and his work lately in the ring

Wrestlemania is about the card, and hardly ever do you see the same Mania ME two years in a row. Again we got a year of build without hardly any action. It had more to do with build than anything imo.

No I said you can't blame Cena for an entire mania show being predictable.

Well that might be said, but even if Cena's only good for putting others over, this would not be the spot where he'd be taken out. Too many dream matches, and even if he's only a draw if he loses, he's still a big draw in those moments. A bigger one than Tenta, Cena goes over in this one man. No matter how hard you fight it. That's what logic dictates. If you want to make an argument for someone else and use this argument, it's a decent point, but right now there's no possible way Tenta goes over Cena. The match wouldn't draw big enough. While him jobbing to Sting or Bruno would make a lot more sense. Even if Cena's best use was jobbing (not necessarily agree with that) This would not be the moment he'd be taken out with many other money matches on the table.

18. enviousdominous

I would actually love to hear why.

Ahhh, okay. Cena is a huge draw in a match where he's obviously the guy who wins. It's not 2005 if you haven't noticed. The only reason the crowd would pay money to watch John Cena wrestle in a TNA arena would be to watch him lose.

You love easy to predict end-games? You would find it so exciting if Garry Kasparov played a game of chess against Rainbow Yaz?

You are being VERY hard on John Cena my friend. I'm sure that even he would want to put on a more exciting match than your imagination can produce for the sake of honoring a legend in Earthquake.

I predict that after the crowd drowns any Cena spots in boos, and awards any Earthquake spots with cheers, the pace of the match will be dictated by what the crowd obviously paid to see. I predict that TNA would book this match while recognizing that it would be suicide for their promotion if they tried to put John Cena over as a face in their company.

19. Dagger Dias

Dagger Dias Natural 20
    Staff Member Super Moderator

Great. However, this is not the tournament designated for the greatest Sumo Wrestler ever. Tenta's career in sumo has absolutely nothing to do with this. You're resorting to comments about Tenta in Sumo and the ever idiotic "Cena sucks I'm sick of him" comments when all signs point to you being desperate to argue an argument you simply cannot win. Cena may have lost a portion of the fans, but you act like they all hate him. You might, but lots of people happen to be fans of him.

:lmao:

Says the guy using the argument of Tenta being successful in Sumo to determine why he supposedly would defeat John Cena in any type of pro wrestling match.

I do like Tenta's work. I'm a fan. However, I am also a John Cena fan, which disproves your ridiculous theory that the only fans who tolerate Cena are the ones tired of hating him. Go back to watching your WCW tapes. Cena's not going anywhere anytime soon whether that be in WWE or in this tournament. Tenta gets a few of his moves in before Cena locks in the STF and wins by submission. Everyone pays to see him lose? Tell that to all the people buying Cena merchandise.

If you think that Cena would be suicide for TNA, then you've got problems. Your hatred of Cena is blinding you from seeing the reality that not only does he go out there making his best effort to put on matches for fans, including those like you who hate him for no legitimate reason, but he is a draw and one of the biggest draws in the wrestling business today.

20. GI Cake

You're a smarky IWC guy, that's fine. I get you don't like Cena, I don't like him either. What you are doing is borderline depressing, you are being willfully ignorant to Cena's mega-stardom in WWE just because "Tenta was a good sumo wrestler once." Tenta, with all of his ability as a sumo wrestler couldn't beat Hogan, there's just no way Earthquake can touch Cena?

Oh by the way, quit trying to impress everyone with big words because the jokes on you, I can't read.

21. Rainbow Yaz

Rainbow Yaz Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst
    E-Fed Mod

You know what is an easy to predict match? Earthquake/John Tenta/Golga vs. cancer. John Cena rises above cancer. See.

[​IMG]

Want an even easier to predict match? John Cena vs. John Tenta. How can the man who couldn't beat cancer come close to beating the man who rises above cancer?

I rest my case.

22. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Tenta was never the global face of a wrestling company. Cena is.

Tenta has no chance, regardless of his legitimate sumo record. Taking into account an outside sports record is like saying LT would beat Cena because he was good at football. Down to brass tacks, John Cena is just a bigger star than Tenta could have ever hoped for. John Cena has made a legendary career by beating the best WWE has to offer today. Tenta- not so much.

Real simple victory here as Cena makes his own earthquake by hitting the AA on Sharks McTubby.

Dagger Dias likes this.
  23. enviousdominous

Now you make with an attempt at an explanation. I think that TNA, and the WWE for that matter, can learn from their mistakes. Obviously nobody is hurrying out to buy stock in TNA right now.

I think, for one moment, that TNA isn't desperate to sign a guy whose image is literally toxic when it comes to traditional fans. The TNA fan base wouldn't put John Cena in the same category that they put Mick Foley and RVD. I remember Hogan cutting a promo on TNA where, while directly referring to Ric Flair, Hogan claimed that he was the world's greatest wrestler. The TNA crowd booed Hogan when he said that.

John Tenta is most definitely the guy who the TNA crowd would put in the same category as Mick Foley and RVD. He would be the guy to send Cena back to the world of bodybuilding.

Here's an idea. Maybe John Cena vs either of those men would only be interesting in regard to being able to watch John Cena get his ass handed to him by either of those men. I wouldn't mind seeing John Cena get stomped like Randy Couture stomped Tito Ortiz either , though that's not my reason for believing that John Tenta deserves to win. John Tenta was a better man and a better performer.

Children, the easiest demographic of the fan-base to indoctrinate with infectious aesthetics that have nothing to do with his abilities in the ring. John Cena is a gimmick that was cobbled together using parts from the most shameless examples of what would impress the low-brow section of the status-quo.

If John Cena doesn't deserve any blame for the lower buy-rate, then he doesn't deserve any credit for the higher buy-rate. Your "it's about the card" excuse would work for either arguement.

And I was suggesting that you can blame Cena for his own matches being tired examples of predictability.

He's the biggest draw when he's booked to lose. A booker might look at that and figure out that booking Cena to lose is an easy way to bring a higher buy-rate to the program.

Right now Cena is booked to take on Bray Wyatt in a match that is only exciting for the notion that Cena might put Bray Wyatt over. Maybe Cena will win the match, either way nobody is buying a ticket to see John Cena defeat Bray Wyatt. Bray Wyatt isn't even popular enough for a place in this tournament.

24. Bythedockofthebay

You asked for an explanation thus I gave you one. Makes sense to me.

Cena wouldn't have to say that. In fact Cena hardly ever calls himself the best. And saying that you know how the TNA crowd would react is crazy imo but since we are bringing it up. I think Cena would get a huge reaction.

In what world is John Tenta in the same category as Mick Foley or RVD? Please explain to me how their work and how they correlate without total bullshit. Tenta was never close to either of these guys.

I remember all of those classic Tenta promo's and all his great matches. I mean I was just thinking the other day. No, Cena's been involved in great promo's and great in ring action. Nothing Tenta ever did was equal to what Cena did in his match vs Punk or Bryan. That's just a fact.

I find the Rock and Stone Cold's constant cussing and banter about asses more disconcerting and low brow than anything Cena's ever done. I guess that was high brow entertainment though.

I didn't say that, I said he didn't deserve all the blame which he doesn't.

Then we can blame Taker for the same thing only every year.

25. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

If this is your argument for why Tenta should beat Cena, couldn't one argue that Tenta's greatest accomplishment was people paying to see him lose to Hogan?

In all honesty, I feel bad for you. You're making very passionate, if not absurd arguments for a guy that has no way of making it out of the first round, and everybody thinks you're a idiot. Sounds like a really shitty existence.

Dagger Dias likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.