The Sports Bar

Awesome. I already won my fantasy baseball league.

I'd like to thank Jered Weaver, Asdrubal Cabrera, and Brian McCann carrying my scoring for most of the season.

Just saw Delmon Young has been traded to the Tigers. That could be a nice deal for us. He underachieved somewhat this year after having a very solid season last year in Minny (where he finished 10th in the MVP voting). With Brennan Boesch not fully recovered from his injury and Magglio Ordonez being nothing more then a singles hitter since he's come back from the DL, I think this is a smart move. It's a low risk, high reward type deal. If he comes through and is effective and helps us get a postseason berth we can give him a new deal and let Magglio walk (which we should do anyways). If he bombs, let him go and cut your losses. He had very good pop last year in an unfriendly hitters park in Minny, and will probably split time with Dirks in the other OF spot when Boesch comes back healthy. If he turns out like our past two intradivisional deals (Jhonny Peralta, Wilson Betemit) I think we'll get another steal. This guys young (25) and might have just needed a change of scenery.

It's nice to see Dombrowski going after it all this year. He knows the lead is being trimmed slightly and if they don't make the playoffs in an incredibly weak division there's gonna be a very, VERY unhappy fanbase (yours truly included).

Great trade for Detroit. They gave up virtually nothing for a 25 year old with a ton of potential. The outfield needed some depth and a bat with pop and they could have that potentially with Young. Unlike in Minnesota this year he will have protection in the Tigers lineup. Hitting behind the likes of Cabrera, Martinez, and Boesch when he comes back will allow him to not have so much pressure on him.

Delmon had one good year for the Twins, and in our park he was a risk in the outfield. We'll put Revere out there along with Span to increase our defensive speed. I'm not knocking on Delmon, he helped us big time last year, but it just seems he's had one good season total so far in his career.

That being said, Detroit gave up virtually nothing (depending on who the "player to be named later" is) to pick him up and give him a shot. Definitely can't hurt and the Twins like picking up pieces to restock the farm system, plus like I said this gives our first round pick from 2007 Ben Revere a chance to jump into the lineup and get some major league playing time. Dude's been tearing it up in the minors so I think it'll be good to give him that experience for next season.

Well, Carlos Zambrano went crazy again last friday. He's put on the DQ list, which means he'll be suspended 30 days w/o pay. I know he has a large salary left (something like 23 mil) but I think it'd be best if the Cubbies cut ties with him.

Brain, you follow them more closely then I do, so I wanna know your input. Is Zambrano's career as a Cub finished? Or are the Cubs gonna keep him because of his contract or 'Carlos being Carlos'?

Lol, Delmon Young in his first at bat as a Tiger against his former team hit a home run to left center. Good shit.

Big congrats to Jim Thome hitting home run #600. Very classy response from the Detroit fans as well.

Well, Carlos Zambrano went crazy again last friday. He's put on the DQ list, which means he'll be suspended 30 days w/o pay. I know he has a large salary left (something like 23 mil) but I think it'd be best if the Cubbies cut ties with him.

Brain, you follow them more closely then I do, so I wanna know your input. Is Zambrano's career as a Cub finished? Or are the Cubs gonna keep him because of his contract or 'Carlos being Carlos'?

He gave up five homers against Atlanta on Friday and was ejected for throwing at Chipper. He then went into the clubhouse, cleaned out his locker, and said he was retiring. Quade was pissed that he walked out on the team.

Zambrano claims he was blowing off steam and wasn’t serious about retiring and was denied access to the clubhouse on Saturday. He’s now filing a grievance through the players union about be put on the disqualification list.

As far as I’m concerned he can go ahead and retire. I’ve had it with him and I think he wore out his welcome long ago. Too bad because he has talent. If he could just keep control of his emotions he could be really good. This of course is not the first problem the Cubs have had with Zambrano and you can only apologize so many times. I’d like to say he’s done with the Cubs but I can’t say that for sure right now.

Just got a Direct message from the Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe on Twitter. That's pretty legit. I know it's kind of lame to get excited over it but how often do you get to converse with a player on your favorite team like that?

I would mark out too. I once messaged a few people from the Survivor China season, I thought that was pretty awesome at the time.

Though with Twitter I think you just go lucky that he saw your post and responded, Twitter is more of a site for celebs and athletes to do that. I know Orton and other WWE stars do that a lot.

But I'd still jizz my pants if someone like that talked to me over any site.

I've had Jaguars players Austen Lane and Terrance "Pot Roast" Knighton talk to me on Twitter. Lane and I quoted "Step Brothers" back and forth for a bit and Knighton and I talked about the Turkey Bacon Ranch sub from Firehouse Subs.

I've also talked to Tony Boselli on Twitter about the BCS, which was pretty cool.

Just got a Direct message from the Vikings Punter Chris Kluwe on Twitter. That's pretty legit. I know it's kind of lame to get excited over it but how often do you get to converse with a player on your favorite team like that?

What makes it better is that is was Chris fucking Kluwe. The guy is arguably the most charismatic player and biggest personality. Best. Punter. Ever. (don't take that seriously people).

So who the hell are the Houston Astros? I follow baseball pretty closely and I've never heard of most of their guys. Out of the starting nine today I had only heard of two and one was the pitcher. Out of the starting eight position players the only one I knew was Clint Barmes. That's brutal. Although they still took two of three from the Cubs.

They are a rebuilding team. 18 of the 25 members of their current active roster are under 30 years old. 6 of the 25 members are 24 or under.

I realize they're rebuilding. I just can't believe how many guys I've never heard of. Even when teams rebuild I'm at least a little familiar with their prospects. Maybe I'm slacking this year.

I only know a handful of there guys too and considering they have the worst record in baseball by far, it's not looking like their prospects are all that good.

I'll tell you a team that is rebuilding and I think are about to turn the corner in the next season or two. The Toronto Blue Jays. They just traded for Colby Rasmus a few weeks ago, who has a bright future. They just called up Brett Lawrie to play third, a highly touted prospect who is off to a tremendous start. Travis Snyder, Adam Lind, plus some other young talent. Jose Bautista, Edwin Encarnacion, Arencibia, lots of promise for the future. Get a little experience, a little confidence, plus some help on the mound, and they may actually emerge on the radar in the very tough AL East.

If Lawrie lives up to expectations, they could have a really good 3-4-5 in the center of the lineup with Bautista and Lind in a year or two, especially in that park (I'll save the sign stealing joke for another time). But they have pretty much no pitching. Romero has a bright future and could be the ace for years to come. But there is nothing else. Maybe Morrow, but its seems like he is hit or miss every start. And to contend in the AL East and the AL in general, you need pitching.

If only the Jags didnt utterly refuse to rock the teal jerseys with the black pants. Would look so cool.

Something that will surely be addressed when they become the LA Jaguars

Also, fuck the NFL. If they were gonna pass this whole "No kick returns ever again" rule, touchbacks should be placed at the 30. Maybe the 35.

It's not like it's a new rule. They're just going back to the way it was before. You know how all those baseball players who are suspected of taking steroids get a little asterisk next to their name?

Well why shouldn't all the guys like Josh Cribbs get an asterisk next to their name, why should they get those stats put against the guys who didn't get that extra push 20 years ago.

In my opinion, special teams are fine as they are right now. They only changed the rule in the first place to experiment with it a little bit. People say there's 3 parts of football, Offense, Defense, and Special teams. Well Special Teams isn't as important as the credit it recieves.

Yes, it takes a lot of skill to get into the end zone of a return, but it's a lot of luck. A lot...of luck. Teams like the Browns who get those lucky points to stay in the game, they're now taking that luck away, and focusing the game on what's most important, skill.

There is no "New" rule, they're just going back to the way things used to be.

In my opinion, special teams are fine as they are right now. They only changed the rule in the first place to experiment with it a little bit. People say there's 3 parts of football, Offense, Defense, and Special teams. Well Special Teams isn't as important as the credit it recieves.

Well not anymore its fucking not :lmao:

Something that will surely be addressed when they become the LA Jaguars

They're not going anywhere. If any team moves, it's going to be the Chargers.

Apparently Terelle Pryor, or however you spell his first name, got drafted by the Raiders in the Supplemental Draft today. They gave up a third round pick. If they expect him to play quarterback, it's a terrible move. If they drafted him to move him to receiver, it's not a horrible idea. An idea that's not horrible is much better than the Raiders usually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back