Rey Mysterio at Wrestlemania

JGlass

Unregistered User
He's been injured for months now, but we all know that Rey loves WrestleMania, and he's fought through injuries before, so let's just say Rey will be at the event... what will he do?

There are endless possibilities for who Rey Mysterio could wrestle in Miami, so I'll just throw out a few names and then you can tell me your ideas for Rey.

The Miz- This would be my top choice. They had a nice little mini-feud around SummerSlam for the WWE title, but it was too short lived. I think Miz and Rey could have a terrific feud, with Miz bringing the heat on the mic, and Rey bringing the action in the ring, likely handing the Miz one of his best matches ever. That is, Miz will have one of his best matches ever, as Rey has a seemingly endless list of phenomenal matches that will rank higher than anything he can do with The Miz at this point in his career.

The Undertaker- I've heard whispers from people who want to see it happen. It would be a fantastic match, no doubt, as both of these men give it 120% at WrestleMania, but I don't see it happen. Too many people complain about Rey wrestling big wrestlers for the WWE to invest in that idea, and I don't think anybody buys him as a threat to the streak. Then again, is anyone a threat to the streak after Shawn Michaels failed twice?

Christian- Christian should be back in time for Mania, and I don't think anyone would be surprised if he came back as a heel and concocted some ludicrous theory about how Rey Mysterio is the reason he lost the World Heavyweight Championship. It can be the most ridiculous theory in the world, and Christian would nail it. Like The Miz, Christian could carry the feud on the microphone, but when it comes time to wrestle, Christian is much closer in ability to Rey than Miz could ever be. Christian vs. Mysterio is a match that will make wrestling fans ooze with excitement, as to of the best wrestlers of the past decade will get the chance to put on a match on the grandest stage of them all.

I also have theories that include Rey wrestling Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, or in a tag match with Kofi against The Colons. But what are your theories?

Who is Rey going to wrestle at WrestleMania? What will the feud be about? What costume will he wear during his entrance at the show?

Alberto Del Rio is my selection. Now, while everyone sits there and lets out a loud sigh, I believe it's important for both Mysterio and Del Rio to have one last match against one another. Del Rio desperately needs some heat in order for him to remain relevant on the WWE roster. Rey Mysterio being the hugely over babyface he is, can and will likely help Del Rio garner some much needed heat. These two have had numerous matches in the past yet none of them were truly that memorable. They have never competed on WWE's grandest stage and if given fifteen minutes under the bright lights, their match up could definitely classic. Del Rio needs something to do at 'Mania. He has little to no chemistry with anyone on the WWE roster but Rey Mysterio.

Rey Mysterio's been one of WWE's cornerstones in helping establish some of their up and coming stars, and with last year's 'Mania match proving how well he works when putting over talent, Del Rio could be the perfect candidate for the job. The feud wouldn't need much building. Rey Mysterio comes back, talks about how his time is coming to an end in the WWE. It's time he starts winding down and Del Rio's music hits. Claims Rey needs to leave now, Rey leaves with his head down. Del Rio has match against superstar A and Rey attacks Del Rio leading to a match a Wrestlemania. Yeah.

Ok, I'm sure the WWE writers can come up with something better. But if Del Rio faces anyone at Wrestlemania XXVIII, I sincerely hope it is Rey Mysterio.

Still think it needs to be Sin Cara because I for one would really enjoy seeing how many people show up in masks. Realistically though I want to give it to Christian. But now that I notice it so many people I enjoy are either out on the injured list or taking breaks(Christian,Del Rio,Sin Cara,Taker).

I wouldn't even want Rey Mysterio to go through the torture that is facing Sin Cara. Once upon a time, I thought Sin had something. I was expecting great things between him and Chavito. Needless to say, I was disappointed. I'll stick to watching old 2004 matches of Chavo and Rey.

As it pertains to this Christian guy, I have a feeling that he will turn face shortly after his return. If they are currently going with the plans in turning Bryan heel, then I don't want two cowardly, whiny heels in the main event. I know these two can put on a great match. That's not what I'm aiming for.

I've heard Miz's name pop up. Never have been and probably never will be a fan of the guy. He bores me to death in the ring and I could care less about him on the mic. He had that one great promo and I bet if he could see into the future, he would have used that promo after he won the world title. I thought the youngster had promise after his match with Cena in May. Ever since then, I've flatlined on him.

I thought long and hard about this, and by long and hard, I mean since this thread was created. I remember how Rhodes had his dashing gimmick and I couldn't see it going anywhere. Then Rey kicked him in the face and everything changed. I've slowly warmed up to Cody since then so kudos to him. I want Rey to face somebody who needs that extra push to rise up the ranks. Someone who has the tools but needs that veteran to guide him and put him over. It was tough deciding between these two that I have came up with but at the end I'm going with the one and only.....

Drew McIntyre

I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a fan of the guy. He's one of my favorite wrestlers who aren't in the main event. He has the size, the look, and the potential to be somebody great even though I hated the way he talked at first. I harken back to the Elimination Chamber and when that pod opened, Drew went insane. That's the passion I am looking for. Now, he's currently in a storyline with Teddy Long. What I want happen is for Drew to snap and beat the shit out of Long. That way he and Aksana can go off and do whatever it is that they will do. Drew can go on a mission to take out everybody he thinks is holding him back.

I assume Mysterio will still be on Raw when he returns but since Smackdown is on Raw every Monday night now, it won't be much of a stretch. Let Drew build up momentum before he gets to Mysterio. I don't care much about Kofi or any other midcard face that have so let Drew take them out and arrive at Rey. McIntyre needs that memorable match to jumpstart his career again and who better to do it against then Rey Mysterio.

If you're wondering about my other choice, it was Jinder Mahal. I would have went with Mahal if they let him beat Sheamus by hook or crook. It's not like Sheamus needed the win.

The Miz- This would be my top choice. They had a nice little mini-feud around SummerSlam for the WWE title, but it was too short lived. I think Miz and Rey could have a terrific feud, with Miz bringing the heat on the mic, and Rey bringing the action in the ring, likely handing the Miz one of his best matches ever. That is, Miz will have one of his best matches ever, as Rey has a seemingly endless list of phenomenal matches that will rank higher than anything he can do with The Miz at this point in his career.

I believe that Rey already gave Miz one of the best matches on his career in their WWE Championship match on Raw. Simply an excellent TV match. However, this isn't a feud I'd care to see. With the Royal Rumble and Elimination Chsmber PPV's coming up, one has to imagine that Miz and R-Truth won't get the chance for that one-on-one PPV match that their building towards at either show. I truly believe this is the direction they're going with, and we'll get Miz and R-Truth at Wrestlemania, I think that's the best matchup for Miz, not Rey Mysterio. Why rush to a feud when you have one that's already being built towards?

The Undertaker- I've heard whispers from people who want to see it happen. It would be a fantastic match, no doubt, as both of these men give it 120% at WrestleMania, but I don't see it happen. Too many people complain about Rey wrestling big wrestlers for the WWE to invest in that idea, and I don't think anybody buys him as a threat to the streak. Then again, is anyone a threat to the streak after Shawn Michaels failed twice?

I don't think there's been a match between this pairing that I haven't loved. Their match at the Royal Rumble in 2010 was on my short list for matches of the year, albeit paling in comparison to HBK/Undertaker, and a few others. Having said that, I don't see a way to present Rey as a potential threat to the streak. Edge, Batista, HBK and HHH haven't been able to beat him, but Rey Mysterio could? Further, I think HHH's Slammy speech regarding having ended Undertaker's career all but sealed the deal for a rematch between the two. I would love to see this happen, but I don't see how Rey could be taken seriously as a threat after looking at the list of men Taker's defeated in the past five years.

Christian- Christian should be back in time for Mania, and I don't think anyone would be surprised if he came back as a heel and concocted some ludicrous theory about how Rey Mysterio is the reason he lost the World Heavyweight Championship. It can be the most ridiculous theory in the world, and Christian would nail it. Like The Miz, Christian could carry the feud on the microphone, but when it comes time to wrestle, Christian is much closer in ability to Rey than Miz could ever be. Christian vs. Mysterio is a match that will make wrestling fans ooze with excitement, as to of the best wrestlers of the past decade will get the chance to put on a match on the grandest stage of them all.

This is the match I'm hoping for, and have been for some time. The only thing I disagree with is using Christian as the CLB he was dangerously close to being before he was injured. It was on an episode of Smackdown, I believe, where Christian came out and discussed his injury. He talked about his career being in jeopardy, and how instead of asking for "one more title match", he was hoping for "One More Match", period. Who better to have said match against then a man who's returning from a horrific injury himself? They could play the angle with Christian being bitter about his injury almost costing him his career, and go after a recovering Rey as a result. Not only could this make for a great back-and-forth feud that extends months following Wrestlemania, the matvh quality would easily be the best as well.

I also have theories that include Rey wrestling Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, or in a tag match with Kofi against The Colons.

What about the man from Planet Funk? Swagger, should he still have the US title, would make for a good title match. Ziggler will be in, and win, Money in the Bank, and I believe Kofi will be in the match as well. Bourne will be back in time for Wrestlemania anyways, so I see no reason to discontinue that tag team should he avoid being future endeavored. .

What costume will he wear during his entrance at the show?

He'll dress up as a masked Ric Flair. Imagine how cool it would be for him to come out in the flashy robe, spin around like Flair, then utter a huge Wooooo!
That would truly be epic. ;)

Why anyone would want Rey to wrestle Alberto del Rio for the 7000th time is beyond me. The matches were great, but, Wrestlemania is special, and the more original and new the feud, the better, in my eyes. A feud with Christian, would be absolutely perfect. SO perfect, that I would never trust the WWE to pull it off. It's a feud I want so badly, that I actually don't want to see it. It'd fall short of my huge expectations, I'm sure of it. Plus, it doesn't make much sense, what with Rey on RAW and Christian on SD!

Sadly, for the both of them, a glaring spot in the Money in the Bank match is what's most likely to happen. I could perhaps see Rey Mysterio feuding with Cody Rhodes again, if Goldust vs. Cody isn't happening. Also, the Money in the Bank match would allow Mysterio not to work the entire match and take too many falls, you know, as to not worsen his injury.

What costume will he wear during his entrance at the show?

I'd no idea that you'd already made a thread designed to answer this question, otherwise I'd have never asked you in your thread. Boy do I feel silly! Sillier than Ronald McDonald in KFC. My answer; Sub-Zero. I'm dead serious. A dated reference, yeah, but it'll all come together nicely when he comes out to the Mortal Kombat theme.

My two preferred choices - Undertaker and Christian - have already been mulled over.

People say that Rey wouldn't be a feasible threat to The Undertaker. They're right. People say that nobody would be a feasible threat to The Undertaker. They're right. I wouldn't worry about the build. At best, the builds to Taker's recent 'Mania matches have been melodramatic and borderline embarrassing (see: Shawn Michaels dressed in white). At worst, Undertaker and his opponent have stared at each other before each going off to buy a Mac and have a video package battle (see: Triple H's surprisingly good video editing skills). People often compliment those, and they wouldn't exactly take much beating. Besides, do we really want to see the same match for the fourth year in the row? That's what we'll get with Triple H/Undertaker III. Say what you will about Rey Mysterio - though they'll probably be outright lies - but he's not one for laying around.

Christian-- well, it's Christian!

Christian should be back in time for Mania, and I don't think anyone would be surprised if he came back as a heel and concocted some ludicrous theory about how Rey Mysterio is the reason he lost the World Heavyweight Championship. It can be the most ridiculous theory in the world, and Christian would nail it. Like The Miz, Christian could carry the feud on the microphone, but when it comes time to wrestle, Christian is much closer in ability to Rey than Miz could ever be. Christian vs. Mysterio is a match that will make wrestling fans ooze with excitement, as to of the best wrestlers of the past decade will get the chance to put on a match on the grandest stage of them all.

What he said.

Outside of the streak, I don't see any face/face encounters at this year's WrestleMania. Cena's already off the cards, save for The Rock getting chicken pox. Then getting hit by a truck. Then getting sucked into a plane engine. Mysterio wrestling Punk or Orton is certainly a tantalising prospect though, isn't it? It is. Don't lie.

Otherwise, I have some suggestions to make:

1. Daniel Bryan. I'm hoping - likely in vain - for Bryan to be the man that carries the belt into WrestleMania. Let's be realistic, if he does, he'll be doing it as a heel, which - Pro Wrestling 101 - means he'll need a face to go up against. Daniel Bryan versus Rey Mysterio just seems... right somehow. It's like blue and orange, Abbott and Costello, penis and vagina. Something just fits there, no? Maybe not as promising as Orton/Bryan might be, but a pretty strong match-up nonetheless.
  2. Chris Jericho. As if Jericho's going to stay "face." As. Bloody. If. Alright, it's the safe option. It's only the safe option because we're so accustomed to their great matches.
  3. Can't think of a third one off the top of my head. Definitely not Del Rio. Kane? Nah, probably not. Fuck it - Drew McIntyre. They've got a score to settle ever since McIntyre tried to kill Mysterio at Elimination Chamber.

After he lost the WWE championship, I thought that Miz needed to feud with a veteran face, like Mysterio or Big Show. I have no idea what's going on with Big Show, what he'll be doing by WrestleMania, so that match is a no go, even though I thought that based on their history, Big Show v Miz would have been the most beneficial.

I don't think Rey Mysterio v Miz is overdone; I think they've got more in them. As unpopular as Mysterio seems to be with some people, and for God's sake I have no idea why, he's an all-time great in-ring talent, especially in the lucha style. If there's ever been a more important luchador in the history of American wrestling, not Mexican because there are certainly more important ones, I'm sure, then I'd defy you to name them.

Mysterio always seems to be able to pull great performances out of his ass. He just has a knack for it. Just when you think you've seen everything that Mysterio can do, and you probably have, he still impresses you and puts on a great match. This would be a huge match for Miz, too. Mysterio is still one of the top five babyfaces in the company, arguably top three, if you're willing to argue against Cena, Orton, or Punk. If Mysterio isn't a top babyface, though, then at least he's a high profile babyface, and that's what Miz needs more than anything.

Beating Mysterio at WrestleMania suddenly legitimizes Miz as a title contender again, in my opinion. Mysterio and Cody pretty much stole the show at XXVI, and Mysterio could stand to do it again. Miz would be a good, potential final WrestleMania opponent, Miz needs a win like this, and I firmly believe it would be a good match.

I think ADR and Mysterio are the ones who have blown their load, and I really don't want to witness the botchfest that would be Mysterio v Sin Cara, so I go for Mysterio v Miz.

I think that with so little time to build up a feud leading into Wrestlemania, I believe Mysterio would be included in the MITB match, assuming it is happening this year. I know the original plan was for Mysterio vs Sin Cara and they wanted to set a world record for masks in one place at one time, but I dont see Cara even making the event and Mysterio is still to be cleared to wrestle, though Mysterio could be a surprise entrant in the Rumble and a feud could commence from there. I dont like Mysterio vs Miz, I personally think The Miz vs Randy Orton would be far more an entertaining feud, especially if it culminated at Mania.

My top three choices have already been mentioned. Cara, Undertaker, and Christian would all be exciting matches. I have one other idea... Rey Mysterio, Sin Cara, and Kofi Kingston face off against Daniel Bryan, Tyson Kidd, and Hunico. All three feuds would culminate here in this 6-man tag match. Mysterio & Bryan, Kingston & Kidd, and Cara vs. Hunico. The high-flying action might be one of the best matches of the night.

I don't see Sin Cara vs Rey Mysterio happening at WM28 given both are on the shelf at the moment. I have no idea when both will return but given the rumoured matches - Rock/Cena, Punk/Jericho, WHW Title, Show/Shaq, Rhodes/Rhodes, MITB, Taker/HHH, I am not sure there will be enough room on the card for another 1 on 1.

Obviously alot can and will change but I personally see Mysterio and Cara teaming up maybe to face Epico/Primo or even maybe Del Rio and Hunico. Gets more people on the card and gives you a point of difference in a tag match.

WWE are big on breaking this mask record apparently. That shit will fly off the shelves.

Depending on when Rey is back, if he's back for EC he could probably start a feud with someone in that match, maybe Bryan if he loses which is the general consensus, would be a hell of a match. If not, i see him maybe being thrown in the MITB match.

Forgetting serious injuries for the point of blabbering big time quality Mania match ups I like many others rationally think the best match at WM 28 for Rey Mysterio is for him to take on Sin Cara. A basic, face vs. face, luchadore showdown between two of the top draws in Mexico at biggest stage of the year. I don't even care if there are some sloppy, or botchy moments the atmosphere that the very presence of having these two guys competing against each other in the same ring infront of 70,000+ fans wearing each one of their masks to show they're support for their respected lucha star would be a site to see on WrestleMania's undercard. And ultimately it's my top choice for Mysterio though it probably won't happen until SummerSlam due to Cara's recovery, unless he pulls a Cena and comes back early as hell and is able to compete at Mania of course.

Mysterio himself isn't sure when he will be cleared to return either, the absolute latest is May which is one month after Mania but it seems his recovery is ending slowly but surely and it's looking more likely that he will compete at WrestleMania. But without Sin Cara what would they idealistically do with him? I agree with those saying a Christian feud would probably be a great back up plan for Rey. Have Christian call out Rey for weeks, question his injury status. Have Christian mentioned that he recovered and is competing but where is everyone's hero Mysterio or some shenanigans like that, let Christian challenge Rey to a match at Mania, have Rey return and accept and bang you have a high profile match for Mysterio at WrestleMania 28.

Also as for a prediction on his costume (if he competes of course) I think like last year it will be a costume of a superhero movie set to come out later on in the year. I could see adorning either Batman or Spiderman like attire since both franchises have major movies coming out this year. But hey he could come out with a completely obscure costume too, we'll find out all this and more in the coming months. But I hope Rey Mysterio, who is my favorite wrestler on the roster today can compete at the biggest show of the year.

While I'm not hugely keen to see another Rey/ADR feud it was Del Rio that put Rey out the night after Summerslam, so it seems the most logical match if Rey makes it back in time.

I like SpoodBeest's idea for a program with Christian and it would generate a good build up to the match, and though I'm not a fan of The Miz, their match last Summer was good so I wouldn't mind if this was chosen.

Hunico has had a decent little run on Smackdown over the last few weeks but I'm not sure he'd be considered a big enough name to face Rey in a singles match, but he's an outside possibility.

As for costume, with The Phantom Menace coming back to cinemas in 3D I wouldn't be that surprised if Rey donned a Darth Maul look.

I'm gonna go with the boring option and say Alberto Del Rio; the story pretty much writes itself. Alberto Del Rio makes an over-the-top return from his injury, only for Rey Mysterio to interrupt and set up a match. The match itself could go multiple ways:

1. Alberto Del Rio wins cleans, either continuing their feud or establishing himself as the Mexican top dog. A big win like this could really help ADR, and he could even remove Mysterio's mask completely (that should really get people booing him). I know they've clashed in the past before, but I wouldn't mind seeing the two having an intense and personal feud.

2. Rey Mysterio wins with the help of Ricardo, which would surely get a big pop and thrust the personal announcer into a feud with his former master. Ricardo got a pretty good reaction at the Rumble, so this could be a way to get really over as a face and help him transition from an announcer to a wrestler.

3. Regardless of who wins, the two shake hands afrer a hard fought battle. Alberto Del Rio is just not getting over the way WWE want him to, so maybe it's time for a drastic (and risky) change of character. This could lead to Rey and Rio teaming up to take on the Tag Champs (they'd have some good matches with Epico and Primo), and there could be a whole passing of the torch thing.

The way I see things is that the Mysterio/Sin Cara Match probably won't happen at WrestleMania and throwing Mysterio into a Money in the Bank Ladder Match after his return is too risky cause he just came off an injury. A feud with The Miz could work well setting up a decent match between the two.

The Del Rio thing has been done to death and he's probably just going to be thrown into Money in the Bank as well.

I was thinking they would do an Orton/Miz feud for Mania, but if that falls through, a Miz/Mysterio feud is the next best thing I guess.

The Miz- This would be my top choice.

I can see it. Miz is floundering around right now, not involved in anything special, and either a program or a one-match deal against a returning Mysterio would work. They need an opponent with a decent name for Rey's first match back (presuming he doesn't actually return until WM) and Miz would do. On the other hand, a top of the list wrestler isn't needed; the fans will be happy enough to see Rey again that he should be able to go over whomever they toss in there.

Christian could do it, too. Since he would be just getting back himself, he wouldn't have any other storylines to get in the way of a match with Rey, and he's a big enough name to put it over.

But whomever Rey fights, he'll win.....with the same moves and tactics he's been defeating larger men with all along. In my opinion, WWE has spent far too much time indulging Rey with improbable victories over giants. (Rey pins Batista? C'mon!). I presume we'll be in for more of the same when he comes back this time.

One match that I would not be averse to seeing at Mania this year would be Rey Mysterio vs Mark Henry. Sure, there's nothing new about the match as it would feature the oft repeated big man vs little man story, but that does not mean it won't be good. Big Mark's had a vintage year and deserves to have a Mania match against someone popular, and Rey seems to be the best choice out there for him, assuming Rey returns, as all the stars bigger than him have something or the other going on. Have Mark go on one of his mean streaks again and have Rey return and stand upto him. The smallest guy in town standing up against the big meanie, surely that stuff can't go wrong. It's the ultimate feel good story.

Christian would not be too bad a choice either. The ideal way to start off the feud would be to have both guys return to Smackdown on the same night and the egoistical Christian get pissed off when Rey gets a bigger reaction. Given 12 to 15 minutes, they could easily end up having the best match of the night.

As for the undertaker theory and people saying how can rey mysterio be taken seriously, i'm surprised HHH is even eligible for another rematch, not only has he been defeated twice by taker at Wrestlemania but he beat HBK the two years prior to HHH. Really someone like sheamus is more of a threat then HHH is right now. Rey mysterio is off from an injury and is a high flyer, taking on undertaker would in my opinion work better then HHH. You got the high flyer taking leaps of faith at knocking the undertaker down over and over again, but for undertaker still to end it with a win. I actually, after reading this theory you presented would quite like a Rey Vs Taker. :)

Coming from the theory tho, i am not sure i want to see Rey being thrown in to a half assed feud just for a wrestlemania pay off. His last feud that he had that had any substance was with Eddie Guerrero (R.I.P) when Eddie claimed that Rays son, was actually his. I thought that was well played by both men, and have yet to find anything which compares to that, but this is my opinion and this could be Rey's last run as a full time wrestler if he is even that now with the amount of injury time he has, and i would like a decent feud to end it on. Sin cara would work as they are both high flyers and that would be one hell of a match if i had to choose one for this year.

This is the match I'm hoping for, and have been for some time. The only thing I disagree with is using Christian as the CLB he was dangerously close to being before he was injured. It was on an episode of Smackdown, I believe, where Christian came out and discussed his injury. He talked about his career being in jeopardy, and how instead of asking for "one more title match", he was hoping for "One More Match", period. Who better to have said match against then a man who's returning from a horrific injury himself? They could play the angle with Christian being bitter about his injury almost costing him his career, and go after a recovering Rey as a result. Not only could this make for a great back-and-forth feud that extends months following Wrestlemania, the matvh quality would easily be the best as well.

I mentioned in another thread that I'm hoping for Rey Mysterio vs. Christian at mania this year but I was kind of vague about it. Both returning from injurty at the same time could spark the feud. I'd like to see Christian start to hype his comeback a few week ahead of time with some sort of countdown that only he cares about. Finally he will make his in ring return with a win over someone very low on the card. Later that night Rey Mysterio makes a surprise return which of course will get a better reaction from the fans and the announcers would put it over more too. After Rey's match Christian comes out and attacks him for stealing his thunder and whines like a bitch about it like only Christian can do. We can get two upper mid card guys in a singles match at mania with not titles or stipulations. Just an old fashioned feud. They've been around forever but have never worked together and I think they can deliver a great match.

What will likely happen though is Rey will be in MITB. Believe it or not he has never been in MITB at mania and the match just seems like a natural fit for him. I'd rather see the Christian feud but I won't get my hopes up.

Miz and Christian would both be great matches in terms of quality, so long as they could think up a great storyline to go along with it to give it a suitable place on the grand event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back