Christian, the new Rey Mysterio

Brahma Bull

Getting Noticed By Management
Now before I get blasted for doing another "the new____" thread, what I mean by this is many people believe that rey mysterio got his main event push and wrestlemania win because of eddy dying. now i know that edge didnt die, but his leaving was emotional and who is closer to edge than christian. will they use edge's retirement to push christian into the main event.

as a side note: i believe that christian deserves to be in the main event regardless, but i believe this will clentch it for him.

i also think that rey has earned his spot as well.

The Difference is that WWE Exploited Eddy death to push Rey Mysterio (A very disgusting tactic imo).

Its logic to push Christian in the Main Event due to smackdown having a lack of top tier Main Event Talent.

I saw that parallel as well. There ar e some similarities, no doubt.

I didn't mind so much that they used Eddie's death to propel Rey Mysterio. Was it so tasteless? I don't think Eddie would have a problem with it. Rey was one of his best friends, and if his push came in Eddie's honor, what's wrong with it? If Rey didn't mind, if Vickie didn't mind, who are we to judge? They knew Eddie a lot better than anyone. Yes, WWE also did it for the money. Whatever. That's what they do.

That aside, the circumstances around Christian aren't nearly as tragical or controversial. Edge's retirement due to injury is sad, no question about it. But he's got his whole life still ahead of him and no reason to be anything but happy for his best friend finally getting a shot at the spotlight. Christian deserves it and Edge will be the first person to tell you so.

I do agree that the similarities are there but as berlinbrawler said, the circumstances aren't nearly as tragic.

Now while I do not like the fact that Christian is probaly going to get his shot, or even the championship now that Edge is gone, would that be the case at all? We can't really say, and I will explain why.

Christian, since returning, has been heavily involved in the Edge-Del Rio feud and even went over the number one contender, twice. He has been getting pushed since his return and basically from what I believe, his only loss since coming back was his match with Del Rio for the third time last week, and that was because of distraction. And with the swerves WWE has been giving lately, how do we know that plans weren't to give Christian the World Title with how he has been involved? It may not of been at the next PPV, but it could of even been a couple months from now.

It is unfortunate timing(although it would be unfortunate at anytime) for Edge to retire because now everyone will think that if Christian indeed wins the big one that this will be why. WWE didn't know for sure if Edge would be retiring up until about a week ago. I think Christian as champion could work. Since the World Title isn't as major as the WWE Title and since it's Smackdown, they could test him with it and even see how it goes, and if not, they have Del Rio right there.

So that's my look on this. Because even if Edge was still active, and if Christian pulled out a surprise victory in a triple threat match with Del Rio added, I would believe it with how he is being pushed right now. Even if say Del Rio won and Christian won it from him a few months later. I just think this Edge retirement will have people look at it differently, but I do believe Christian had his time coming, it just now may be sooner, rather than later.

I had actually made peace with the fact the Christian would never win the big one. Now, if he doesn't win it under these circumstances, he never will.

It's all about what Vince McMahon feels towards Christian.

Jason Reso was punished for leaving WWE for TNA, I forget the name but there is a former WWE creative member who posts regular blogs who has confirmed this. Christian slapped Vince on the wrist, Vince slapped Christian in the face. He hasn't done all that much since his WWE return back in 09 until now.

If he wins the World Heavyweight Championship, even if it is because of the way it would add to Edge's retirement, I for one won't be complaining, because Christian being a World Champion within WWE is long overdue.

Christian's time has come. The only thing (I think) that was holding him back was Edge. Yeah, he was living in his shadow. Plus, Vince felt that when Edge's there, there is no need to push Christian. Now with Edge gone, lack of faces on SmackDown! Christian will finally get his shot. I don't think he'll win at Extreme Rules but I can see him win at the PPV after Extreme Rules. This will also give some sort of indication (though we all know it isn't) that Christian wasn't pushed because of Edge's retirement...

@ Global Icon

There were other factors holding Christian back.
For one Vince somewhat made an example of him for leaving with the intent of helping the competition grow. This factor does not weigh as heavily as some probably think, though. The biggest problem is that Vince is simply not a fan of Christian the wrestler (as opposed to Jay Reso the man, who is actually a model employee). He was once quoted to say Christian is the embodiment of vanilla.

I will believe that Christian can win the title when he holds the belt in his hands, not before then. But it's gotta be now or never. I hope they'll make this the main event and not Miz-Cena-Truth. (Seriously, R-truth? :wtf: Ok, another topic for another threat)
Somehow it feels like a ladder match is more appropriate for a vacated title than for a defending champion, doesn't it?

It will be nothing like Rey Mysterios title win.

Christian should have had his title maybe a while ago, but leaving for TNA isn't exactly a blessing in the WWE. But! he came back, and Vince has to appreciate what Christian brings to the table, and nows his time.

Del Rio being the newcomer may take it at ER but will probably feud with Christian via Edge's injury.

Perhaps. However, I think that WWE always wished they could push Christian. They just didn't know whether or not it would work. While the IWC loves Christian, that doesn't mean he's going to sell.... anything.

That being said, I think -- as you stated -- that this could be the straw that broke the camels back.

However, one must not forget the million other straws underneath it. Christian is a good talker and a good worker. He's not too injury prone and he's still got some years left. He's new to any big time feuds, so it keeps things fresh. He can gel with most guys as well. He's loyal to the company for the most part (brushing aside a brief run with TNA that he worked away from well) and he is over with at least a core group of fans.

This situation can only enhance that.

The difference -- as some have stated -- is that some feel WWE used a death to get a star over. To an extent, I can see that being the case. However, I don't see anyone close to Eddie having a problem with that and I doubt that the man himself would have complained if it gave Rey something that could very well define his career.

If they aren't upset, I don't see how I could be.

I like Christian, but everything about his persona screams "mid-carder." His physique makes him look more like an aging surfer than a wrestler. His move-set seems stilted and contrived; it doesn't seem like he really gets into a flow during a match. He hits his spots and gets some crowd reaction, but it's hard to buy him as a top-of-the-card performer and I have a tough time believing he's going to beat Del Rio, although it would be pleasing to see it.

Then, there's Rey Mysterio, the perfect answer to the question of whether a wrestling company can make a viable case for a wrestler who doesn't look the part; in other words, being a little guy who slays the giants. Personally, I think it looks visually ridiculous to have Rey pinning the shoulders of huge men like Batista, Kane and McIntyre. WWE wants things to appear as real-life as possible, then they give us Rey. A good example of this came last night when we saw Drew McIntyre clothesline a charging Rey......while Drew was on his knees! Then, Rey goes on to pin Drew for the second time in a month. It looks stupid, IMO.

I can't be sure Christian wouldn't be in the title picture if not for Edge retiring. After all, we had Christian facing off against Del Rio even before Edge was forced out. But, regardless of what Edge does, I don't see Christian as the champion.....unless it's on a short-term, transitional basis.

But then, I couldn't see Rey as champion either...... so what do I know?:confused:

I honestly believe that Christian was in line for the title this year.

from my understanding from the dirt sheets, VKM was playing with the idea of Christian turning heel against edge (again) and feuding which would have happened at 'mania I assume. However there was the strong possibility that Edge would have to retire, so they held back on it so they would have a face.

But, I don't see Christian winning at extreme rules, I think Del Rio will win, letting the feud simmer until summerslam where they could have the big rematch, giving christian the title. It would also allow Del Rio establish himself instead of being kicked back down the roster.

Is it going to be a repeat of Rey's first WHC reign? Rey won it because of Eddie dying (hate to break it to you guys but its true) and since Edge just retired who is a close friend of Christian's, will it just be out of pity? If thats the case then i'd rather him not win the title. I want Christian's first reign to be credible and earned from hard work and being a good wrestler.

Another thing I was thinking about was this: What if Christian does win it and keeps it for a month just to drop it to Del Rio a month or so later. I'm pretty sure they have done that before and not too long ago either. They can go with the whole "Christian's dream has come true" thing and the ends up losing to the guy who WWE really wants to be champion.

So would Christian's title reign be pretty much pointless and sad if he wins the belt just because Edge retired?

At this point Christian will have to take what he can get. I'm fine with him being a pity champion for a month or so.

And golly, thanks for enlightening us that Rey only became champion because of Eddie. *GASP* Who would have thunk. ;)

Personally I hope that Del Rio wins it.

Christian just hasn't built up WHC credibility yet. I would like to see Christian chase Del Rio for a while, win the fans over more, and make the big win mean something. A rush to the top might kill his chance to be considered a legit main eventer.

Both guys are good enough in the ring to carry a slow burning feud for a good while. I think a series of matches before Del Rio drops the title could make for some great moments, and really get the crowd eager for Christian to take the title.

And golly, thanks for enlightening us that Rey only became champion because of Eddie. *GASP* Who would have thunk. ;)

Well, just in case the people actually believed he got it because of another reason. Hmmm, maybe you're one of them :p Why so shocked? I could always bring up how bad Rey's second title reign was xD

If Christian wins the world heavyweight title, I'll be fully in support of it. Too often in wrestling the trigger is pulled too late. This is a massive problem in TNA, for example. They pretty much destroyed Samoa Joe's credibility by waiting until his momentum actually petered out to put the title on him.

Strike while the iron is hot. Christian will never have more credibility than he does now. He's been wrestling for about seventeen years, his best friend, the world heavyweight champion, has just retired and he's got a shot in the arm from it. If you're ever going to put the title on him, do it now. There'll be no better time to do it.

I like Del Rio as much as the next guy - after a lot of persuasion - but how exactly does he have more credibility than Christian? He's lost clean to Christian twice recently and lost clean to Edge at WrestleMania.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting a Christian title reign to set the world on fire. However, he has a talent at making his opponents look great. Having a world title reign under his belt will only facilitate that after he inevitably drops back down through the card.

Dude.. the guy worked in the business since 1999... just because his time came when his Tag Partner and Best Friend had to step down doesn't mean anything.

I was watching Smackdown and they didn't mention Christian the whole show, he didn't get an entrance in the battle royal.. I was a lil weirded out by it.. like something hairy was going on.. but nope.. just him out lasting 20 guys and winning a battle royal..

but winning a 20 man battle royal doesn't give anybody credibility anymore I guess ey?

This would be the best time for Christian to win... in a Ladder Match... in honor of his friend Edge.

Honestly, I don't know if Christian winning the World Title in a different way is as believable. The guy is basically a light heavyweight... and I don't see him just hitting an Unprettier on Kane and winning the title and calling it a day... it MAKES SENSE for him to win in this ladder match... when everything is on his side.

If Christian doesn't win.. and Alberto Del Rio does... It would be a total slap in the face to ME... a fan of the WWE since 1999.

Christian is in the ladder match at ER because to be honest there is nobody else to face Del Rio rather than becasue Edge has reitred

Christian and Del Rio have been feuding most of this year so it makes sense for them to face off.

If Christian does win then he deserves it if he doesnt then Del Rio finally realises his destiny.

Del Rio doesn't need to become a World Champion yet. In fact I'd prefer to see him chase the title until next year and have him win it in the Elimination Chamber. Considering the WHC may be retired soon, I think Christian is owed a run. He has done a lot for the business and is always entertaining.

Hey excon I think berlinbrawler is being sarcastic. Ever heard of that? I hope Christian wins. I dont know where this rumor comes from that Christan doesn't have the look, build, or is light heavyweight. He is bigger than Jeff Hardy, or Chris Jericho. Mysterio got the heavy weight title. Maybe Vince will put the title on him for a month just to spite the rumor mongers that say Vince doesnt line his look.

Christian should win it. He is due, but beyond that the Edge wave is going in Christian's favor. Is this like Rey winning because of Eddie? Probably, but Christian deserves it and I agree Alberto doesn't need to win it yet. Maybe he can take the title at Summer Slam.

On the other hand let's say Alberto wins it, but by cheating which I know is a big ol DUH! Hook or by crook he keeps the title until Christian finally wins it at Summer Slam. He wins the chase for the title finally and on one of the big PPV's, which would be an amazing moment. With this new rivalry I don't see either one holding the title longer than Summer Slam.

I agree w/ all of the posts above. You guys have made good arguments for either scenario.

My stance is this, I fully believe that Vince doesn't see Christian as a world champion (at least not more than a transitional one). I feel that if he ever has a shot it's now, with Edge having to say goodbye. I hope they give it to him and push him as hard as possible for the next month. Then if the ratings improve, merch sales go up, maybe they let him hold it till Summerslam. That's me being really optimistic.

I really hope that he wins it. If the belt is given to Christian as a life time achievement award, that's fine. Maybe he'll run with it and prove Vince wrong. I've always felt that if he was just given a chance Christian could be a main eventer, he was great in TNA (for whatever that's worth). Also go watch his match from ECW that he and Regal had in England, that's an all time favorite of mine.

What will probably happen is that he will win it and drop it at the next PPV to Del Rio. If that's the case I'm fine w/ it, only for the simple fact that I doubt it is gonna happen any other way. If the plans worked out that Christian turned on Edge and (perhaps) won the belt to keep the feud going I could have seen him getting it just as a way to perpetuate the feud. However, w/ the shortage of faces on SD and w/ the his best friend having to hang it up, this may be Christian's chance. I hope it is, Christian and Y2J are the last two guys that I'll pay money to see.

While I do believe that Christian does deserve at least a World Title reign before it's his turn to retire, I would hate it that they'll give him the title ONLY because Edge left. It makes you look weak and like they had no choice....like you said xcoN, only for pity. Christian should have been World Champion in the WWE. Both him and Edge both equally busted their asses for years and accomplished alot.

Is it going to be a repeat of Rey's first WHC reign? Rey won it because of Eddie dying (hate to break it to you guys but its true) and since Edge just retired who is a close friend of Christian's, will it just be out of pity? If thats the case then i'd rather him not win the title. I want Christian's first reign to be credible and earned from hard work and being a good wrestler.

Another thing I was thinking about was this: What if Christian does win it and keeps it for a month just to drop it to Del Rio a month or so later. I'm pretty sure they have done that before and not too long ago either. They can go with the whole "Christian's dream has come true" thing and the ends up losing to the guy who WWE really wants to be champion.

So would Christian's title reign be pretty much pointless and sad if he wins the belt just because Edge retired?

Ok so question for you? If Rey only won his first title reign because Eddie died... ur basically saying he didnt deserve to win it. And if he didnt deserve to win it... why did he have a 2nd title reign?

Also if you wanna be technically correct... this wouldnt be Christian's first title reign... I seem to remember when WWE brough back ECW... I seem to remember Christian holding the ECW Championship for a period of time. Whether WWE chooses to recognize ECW accomplishments or not.

In regards to who I want to win.... I want Christian. I hate Del Rio with a passion. I mean if he wants to earn respect for himself, and prove he is the man to beat.. then he needs to do several things

1. Tell Brodus Clay not to interfere in a match.. even if hes about to lose a match
2. Tell Michael Cole not to try and interfere like last night on SD during the battle royal.
3. Tell his stupid ring announcer to sit down, shut up, and watch the match.

More then half of Del Rio's victories are due to Brodus Clay or his ring announcer interfering in the match. If he wants the other superstars, and the WWE universe to respect him, like they showed respect to Edge over this past week, then he needs to earn it.

Like Teddy Long said... you will not be given anything... you have to earn it.

I mean heck if Teddy Long wanted, he coulda said fine... and your first title defense is right now vs the Big Show... oh and Brodus Clay and Ricardo are banned from ring side, and if they interfere u forfeit the title. So take your pick.

While Edge and Christian and other WWE superstars have done the same thing, most of them have "grown up" and started doing stuff themselves w/out needing a "partner" to help them win the match. I mean you dont see John Cena, Randy Orton, HHH, Kane, Big Show, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, or any of these guys walking around w/ Body Guards, tag partners or any of that crap to help them win matches do you? If you do its on a very very rare occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back