Christian, the new Rey Mysterio

I agree with what Sam has said. The WWE should strike while the iron is hot. Christian's title win will create a feel good moment, because he is Edge's best buddy and all. Del Rio has just started out and ,to be honest, he does not have a ton of credibility as yet. I mean sure he has won a feud against Rey but he has also lt quite a lot in recent times to both Edge and Christian. Because he has lost so often to Christian in the recent past, a Christian win would not really come as a knock against Del Rio. It has been shown in the recent months that both guys can defeat each other.

As for the original question posed by the OP, yes Christian's win will be somewhat like Rey's first win because it will be only achieved due to Edge's retirement. But I do not think that no one especially Christian's fans care about that. We had all but given up hopes for Christian ever winning the belt so it does not really matter which way he gets it. I'm sure Christian feels pretty much the same. I think even he realizes that the only way he was ever going to win the title was by being associated with Edge in some way, whether in a feud or by an advertisement from his best friend.

So yes, Christian should win. Del Rio's time isn't exactly running away. I'm not even sure it's his time as yet. I have a feeling that Christian will be booked stronger than Rey because of the lack of starpower on Smackdown now as compared to 2006.

I am on two minds in this.

One part says, this is the best possible time for Christian to become the World Heavyweight Champion. For if he loses here, he will lose all the momentum. Even if the loss is because of a cheating.

The other part says that, if he wins now, he will not be a credible champion. He needs to build the momentum, and make his eventual title victory a rare memory that we are so not used to. Akin to Chris Benoit WM 20.

But in the end, I think as late as it will be, it will be less effective. Must strike right now.

One thing I feel obliged to point out is that people feel Rey was something of an illegitimate champion because of how he was handled during his reign, not before it. The motivations behind Rey's push weren't the problem.

Rey's whole "I'm small but resilient" shtick didn't play well with certain fans while he was champion. In fact, that shtick works perfectly well most of the time, only the writers seemed to forget the whole "but resilient" bit and just had him get laid out every week. Fans felt he was booked to look weak and inferior to his opponents and so that reign, generally speaking, isn't looked back on favourably.

So, if you want to draw comparisons with Christian, you should be worried how he'd be handled during his reign and not why he's (probably) being given the belt.

Christian is a two time NWA HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION ENOUGH SAID
If he wins its not outta pitty he was in the right place at the right time

I'd love for Christian to have a slow build to a credible title reign, but I just don't see it happening. If he doesn't win it now, it is not gonna happen. Christian has to win it and get over as champ fast. That's the best possible scenario.

Throw him out into the deep end and I have faith that he will swim, but he is gonna need the the rub from Edge's retirement to get him there. It's sad but true, even still never getting a title reign would be much sadder.

Win or lose Christian will be in the title hunt, a loss doesnt make him look weak and a win would not be out of pity. Christian was getting involved in the title chase before Edge retired and they even teased the possibility of them facing each other.
ADR would have beat Edge most likely at extreme rules and Christian and ADR would have started their feud shortly after. It just so happens that we are getting this feud a month earlier.

and to the person who wants no interference from Clay and stated that Cena, Morrison, Undertaker etc dont have bodyguards or have people interfere IS BECAUSE THOSE GUYS ARE FACES ADR IS A HEEL THATS WHAT HEELS DO AND HOW THEY GET THE FACE OVER.

Sometimes I feel like some people in the IWC have no clue that this is entertainment and the same wrestling story from the beginning of time. Heels are cowardly and take shortcuts and cheat faces take the beatdown and win in the end. that is the formula on any wrestling show
Maybe that person was a kid and thought wrestling was real maybe that person still believes in Santa Claus who knows

Does anyone not remember Christian and del Rio having a mtach for the number one contenders match the week after WM? And the promo before it? Edge clearly said that del Rio would have to wit in line behind other deserving stars. Thus Christian pokes head out of tow truck. And it only makes since that they would be the two to face for the title.

Now as for everyone comparing it to Reys title run. How dare you. Christian has proven all over that he is derserving of a title run. Multiple Tag Titles, TNA World Heavyweight Champ; ECW Champ, Singles titles. He deserves this. Just cause Edge retired doesnt mean that they are gonna use this to give Christian his one time shot. Hell I see him with mutliple reigns coming in the future.

Apples and Oranges.

Rey got his main event push coming off the death of Eddy. While I thought is was tasteless and exploitave at the time, looking back I think it was the right move. Eddy's death hurt. It probably affected the WWE fans more than any other death ever has, including Owen. Rey winning the Rumble and then the title was more about healing for the fans than anything.

Edge retired. He aint dead. And if his retirement are like 80% of other rasslin retirements, he will probably be back in a year or two. Christian was getting a push before Wrestlemania. Del Rio was probably going over Edge in the ladder match. I dont think this changes anything. Christian will probably get the title sometime this year, but I dont think it will be in the ladder match. And I dont think he needs Edge's rub to get the belt. He showed in TNA that he can be a credible champion--some of his best mic work ever was in TNA as champion. Plus, talent being what it is...I dont think the window is as small as you all think it is.

I just dont see the comparison with Rey.

I think the comparisons between Christian and Rey are very valid. Regardless of how you look at it, we lost someone from wrestling forever. Yes Eddie meant alot, as well as Edge, but none of us know them as people personally, which is why the situation is similar. I'm not trying to make it sound bad, but that is what is. Eddie was and is still one of my favorites to this day. As a human being, the situation is not as bad, but damn near when you look at what the future holds. None of us are ever likely to see Edge again besides the Hall of Fame. That to me is pretty devastating especially if you are a big fan of his. I think Christian deserves this reign regardless. Who else is going to main event SD besides Christian and ADR? Kane and Big Show, and Rey are the only ones. Christian couldnt be that bad of an option. Kane got his deserved reign last year, as should Christian. I think if Christian wins it allows fans to heal from losing such a beloved star like Edge. Christian HAS to win this match. This is a ladder match, off the heels of his best friend's retirement where fans are still emotionally down, Christian deserves it, and keep in mind this is not the WWE title where WWE likes to have guys like Orton and Cena hold that title. This is Christians night and I bet all the money in the world he is GOING to win

I seriously don't think that Vince would give the title to anyone just out of pity. Even looking back at Rey's WHC reign.. I'm not saying that Vince didn't consider the pity angle because I'm sure he did.. obviously he did.. But the fact remains that Rey Mysterio is seriously over and has been for a long time, especially with the kiddies. Rey's story is a perfect Cinderella Story and that is worth money to Vince. If and when Christian win the World Heavyweight title I can assure it won't be because Vince feels sorry for him because his friend was forced to retire. If Vince doesn't think someone's going to draw then he sure as hell isn't going to brand them as one of the top faces of the company. Personally I think Christian can do it. I've liked Christian for a long time. I also believe that giving Christian a run as the ECW champion last year was to test the waters as a possible run with the WHC. I think that worked out pretty well in retrospect. Not to mention the WWE needs top talent now more than ever with Edge leaving and who better to fill in...permanently.. than Christian.

Christian has always struck me as someone who is good at everything, but great at nothing. He doesn't have that one quality that he truly exceeds at. He is a talented wrestler, solid worker, good talker, but that's about it. He also has a very generic look and physique (for a sports entertainer) which matters in business that wants to promote larger-than-life characters. And I think that is why he hasn't won any World Titles. Guys Rock, Austin, Cena, etc aren't better wrestlers (oops) than Christian, but they all have that IT factor that make them look like real-life superheroes. I think Christian could only be a truly convincing WC as a smart, calculating heel, but there is just no room for that at this point.

Despite this, no one on Smackdown deserves the WHC more than Christian. But this just as (if not more so) accredited to the SD roster as Christian's talents. I like ADR, but I think it's too soon for him to be champ and he'd be a bit too similar to the Miz for my liking (suit/tie and a manager). Undertaker has become a Wrestlemania novelty act and Rey Mysterio just isn't credible as a World Champion. Smackdown has guys with potential, like Rhodes and McIntyre, but they're not quite there yet.

So in my eyes, Christian winning the WHC would actually be the best move they could make, given the current state of the SD roster.

This is Christians big opportunity, Vince has never given him a chance to run with the ball. NOW Christian must run with the ball and deliver a good match with ADR and also build up the feud so people want to buy the PPV. I am happy to see him finally have a world title shot because unlike all these NOOBS like Barrett/Swagger/ADR/Sheameas etc Christian had to WAIT, it wasn't handed to him and now this means more

Before we start comparing Rey Mysterio to Christian. He must first be successful at Extreme Rules. Otherwise it's a moot point. However, if he does win, the similarities are there other than the obvious that Edge is still alive. I feel that Christian was going to be in the title picture whether Edge was still active or not. He has proven himself ever since he returned and I believe that he can carry the show if given an opportunity.

The only reason I would say ADR is gonna get the title is because there are too many things going in the favor of Christian. Ladder Match - Check, Edge's best friend - Check, Defeated ADR cleanly before - check. Put that all into account and what do you have? That's right, New WHC - Alberto DeLLLLLLL RRIIIIOOOOOO!(my best Ricardo Rodriguez impression)

Thing is, a lot of what happened in recent weeks, months even, makes sense now.

Leading up to Wrestlemania I fully expected Alberto to make Christian his bitch in order to make Alberto look a threat to Edge. He didn't. Instead Christian beat him. Twice. It made no sense. Why push a guy who isn't even on the card at the cost of the Nr. One contender?

Then at Wrestlemania signs pointed towards Christian betraying Edge and costing him the title. Nothing happened. It really seemed like half-assed booking at the time.

And after Mania Christian lost to Alberto to determine the number one contender. At that point I was like :wtf: huh? Nothing was making sense anymore.

Until Edge retired. Suddenly it all made click and the pieces fell into place. They knew something was up with Edge and were building up Christian just in case the sh*t hit the fan (I'm using so many cliches on this board it's downright sad), which it did.

So now, thanks to careful preplanning they got a credible replacement for Edge. Whether or not that means Christian will win the belt, I don't know. I hope so, but I wouldn't guarantee it. It's a coin toss in my book. (AAAAH CLICHEEEEE)

honestly christian just deserves it....del rio will have his time but i think the best way to go about it is have chritain win at ec hold on th the belt for a month or so drop it to del rio and win it back have a good 6 month feud going between the 2 of them than maybe drop the belt off to someone else in a triple threat match at mania maybe sin cara,wade barret,
even john morrison

Interesting way to look at it. Although Christian deserves a championship reign, this may be the only way he'll ever get one as he has yet to get one and never gets title shots. Edge is his best friend in real life so it's pretty safe to say he will want his friend to take his place if he had the choice. Del Rio will get plenty more opportunities. I agree with the threadstarter that Christian DOES deserve to main event but that this could help finally get him there because he has a close friend in Edge who can endorse him to Vince or Trips as a potential champ until they can find the new face of Smackdown.

problem with your theory is that rey has a possible retirement coming soon, or, so the rumour is. i see sin cara taking reys place, and christain taking edges place (well, like, in the main event card).

With every day that passes I feel less enthusiastic about Christian's chances of winning at Extreme Rules.
The "He is the Rey to Edge's Eddie"-feeling is fading away already if you ask me. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back