Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: First Round: (8) Rey Mysterio vs. (25) Junkyard Dog

Who Wins This Match

• Rey Mysterio

• Junkyard Dog

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas.

nmc_18ReunionArenaAerial.JPG

#8 Rey Mysterio

rey-mysterio-photograph-c12233391.jpeg

Vs.

#25 Junkyard Dog

Junkyard+Dog.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Going Mysterio.
Although I prefer JYD overall, he never actually held anything at all in the big company, whereas Mysterio is a 2-time World champion, and multiple time tag champion. Also, in a 'Real match', I believe Mysterio would be too fast for JYD.

I think this is alot closer than you'd think. I voted for Rey Rey, but does he advance against say a Chris Jericho or Bret Hart, no way. Rey is quite possibly the best little man in the history of the business, but I have never seen the appeal of a Rey Mysterio.

I'm going with one of my all-time favorites in the Junk Yard Dog. He was a big favorite of mine growing up and I think Rey has been over rated for years now. If JYD got his Meat Hooks on that lil Bastard, it's game over. JYD goes over the over rated Mysterio!

As absolutely as cheesy and ridiculous as the character seems today, it is important to note just how popular the Junkyard Dog was. People used to eat that shit up in the 80s, possibly because he was one of the first wrestlers with a themed moveset. Themed movesets always seem to get people over with the crowd, as evidenced by latter day wrestlers like Too Cool.

Anyway, like I said, let us not forget that Junkyard Dog was a pretty big deal. It's easy to see this as a two time world Champion against someone who never won anything, but it's really not that simple. I'm not going to simplify Mysterio's first reign to sympathy, but the fact remains that he has never looked dominant as a champion. That's not important with Mysterio, because he's always been booked as an underdog, but when he's facing a face, that becomes a much bigger deal.

Mysterio has always been booked as a man who can beat any cruiserweight, and a man that upsets monster heels. JYD was neither of those things, and it's hard to see how Mysterio would win here. Mysterio has never beaten a face in a heavyweight championship match - note, all heavyweight titles, not just world titles - and when you consider some of those failures to win have come against luminaries like Sabu and Mikey Whipwreck, that's a pretty big statement.

Rightly or wrongly, historical precedence shows Mysterio beating you is tantamount to him making a fool out of you. Big faces don't get made fools of, and I don't expect Rey would ever be booked to win here. With that in mind, this has to be a win for JYD.

I have to go with Rey here. JYD is a guy that was incredibly popular but damn he could have some awful matches. Rey is incredibly popular and has had some damn good matches. I'm not a fan of Rey's superhero pushes at all, but I might be even less of a fan of JYD. These are two guys I've never liked at all for the most part other than when I was a kid and loved Rey, but his resume is too much to overlook in this match.

Yeah, gonna go with Rey Rey. Junkyard was extremely popular, and had some good showings, but a lot of the time it was...ungraceful to say the least in the ring. Just by wrestling presence I'll go with Rey. He shouldn't have a problem with his size advantage obviously, and Rey has accomplished a lot more. You could argue that he's a lot more popular too. Rey has lost to some of the not so good wrestlers like stated above, but same to JYD. This is another tough one and I think Rey just wins by name alone.

Using JYD's size against Rey is a moot point. In the last 5 years I've seen Rey booked in many different matches with men much larger than he is, and still work a legitament match that would have someone of his size pull off a believable win against a heavyweight. Rey's battled, held his own, and even beaten guys like Kane, Batista, Undertaker, and Big Show.

In 2011 I would expect a match like Mark Henry vs Rey Mysterio not to be the one sided squash match that sees Rey get destroyed and then magically plotkai a win at the very end like it would have been half a decade ago. Rey Mysterio can go against heavyweights, and JYD would be no exception.

Voting Mysterio

I'm going to go with Rey. He has faced bigger opponents and won. JYD is a big guy but Mysterio has a great track record against bigger guys and does great when his back against the wall. I also think his quickness and innovative style will help him out against JYD. As long as he can keep the distance and hit some aerial moves he should be able to pick up a win here.

Im gonna go ahead and say it right now, Rey Mysterio is probably one of the most underrated wrestlers of all time. Consistently good to great, regardless of who he works with, and is usually involved in at least one match of the year canidate, and one of the matches I personally feel is one of the top five of all time.

And yet, he gets massive hatred and no credit from anyone, and the reason most people give for it is "I just dont like him"

People generally have no real, practical reason for not liking Mysterio.

He is worlds better than JYD, and by this point, far more significant.

Pretty much agree with everything Norcal has said about Mysterio. I've given Mysterio my fair share of shit over the years, particularly around his pity title reign in 2006. Put that aside, the guy is a consistent top level performer in a company that historically has not been kind to small guys.

JYD never did anything for me growing up. I understand his cultural significance, but never cared for the character. I can't recall a JYD match I've watched that made me think he was anything great.

Totally going Mysterio here. He has had some amazing matches, especially some of his old WCW stuff. And his feud with Jericho in 2009-10 over the IC title was nothing short of amazing. Mysterio has been a force everywhere he went. JYD? Meh.

Rey Mysterio on his day can have a truly great match, he is super reliable and is a big draw with crowds and merchandise. Junk Yard Dog was a fun character who had a "gimmicked" set of moves that the crowds (as Tastycles put it) ate it up. Characters in wrestling were at some sort of a height back then...... today on the other hand, he wouldn't be what he was. Characters are mostly fazed out or just another name in the business. Rey would have the to connect with the masses just as easily as he can now and he would have the athletic attributes to have a somewhat cult following.

This match is a landslide in favor of Rey Mysterio in my opinion.

JYD wouldn't be able to even catch Rey in the ring, I would think this would be something of a Job on JYDs part as the only one i see winning this match would by Rey Mysterio with all that speed.

This and he has faced some of the biggest and baddest in the ring like Big Show, Kane, John Bradshaw Layfield, The Undertaker and still tall at the end of the day. Versing Junk Yard Dog isn't going to be a drastic challenge for him. Rey has been World Heavyweight Champion winning it on the biggest stage of them all at Wrestlemania 22 against Randy Orton and Kurt Angle. He beat Big Show, CM Punk and Jack Swagger to claim the World Heavyweight Championship for the second time at Fatal 4-Way.

Rey is the far more accomplished wrestler of the 2 without a shadow of doubt.

It's kinda interesting to note that the most anyone has ever said in negative light to Mysterio was a bad Championship reign partly due to Eddie's death pushing him up there. But the cold hard fact is Mysterio has proven his worth inside the ring, and mostly against guys far larger than him.

JYD wasn't even a top contender back in his 'day', and if the two were to meet in a present setting with each being on equal footing; Mysteiro would go over each time, simply because JYD was a comedy performer, not a long term winner with great potential to win.

Rey Mysterio has built a legacy by beating superstars twice his size, and this match is no exception. While JYD has the size and strength advantage, Mysterio would prove too fast flying around the ring and preventing JYD from getting his hands on him. He is far more entertaining and innovative too, which means he gets my vote in this one.

Mysterio with a top rope dropkick, knocking JYD onto the ropes...then the 619 and the springboard splash for the 3 count.

JYD's popularity can never be questioned. As goofy as he was at times, he had people eating out of the palm of his hand. However, most of the time, the man was atrocious to watch in the ring in the WWF.

Mysterio is also incredibly popular and he's an extremely small man that's accomplished a lot in the ring, sometimes against much bigger and more powerful opponents than himself or JYD. I've never been a huge fan of Mysterio but he's had some great matches and can be exciting to watch inside the ring. Add to that his resume of accomplishments, it's just too much to overlook. Rey should have this in 5 minutes or less.

As much as I'd LOVE to vote against Rey here, he's got to win.

I'd even go as far as saying that JYD was more popular in the 80's than Rey is in present market. Hell, this guy captured the hearts of America without the 2011 WWE machine behind him with its promotion and merchandise. JYD didn't sell masks like hotcakes. This guy just came to the ring in nothing but a chain, his tights, that beard and that afro, danced on the apron as "Grab Them Cakes" blared over the arena speakers, barked at his opponents, and Thump-slammed them to victory and the people ate it up. However, he wasn't much of a ring-king and wasn't very successful.

Rey, on the other hand, has all of the JYD's charisma plus the fact that he won matches... lots of them. He's very skilled in the ring, won championships, and did everything that a 5'7" WWE superstar was never supposed to do throughout their career due to his lack in physical size. He's beaten the odds on BILLIONS of occasions and put smiles on all of our faces.

Rey wins here... unfortunately but easily.

I think this is a pretty easy vote from where I stand.

JYD's biggest attribute was his popularity and I think Rey has passed him in that department. Say what you will about Rey and his size. But, even his size doesn't let JYD get consideration as a better wrestler. As far as that goes, JYD's matches were pretty shitty. Rey has had some great matches, against numerous All Time Greats.

I am not the biggest fan of Rey, to say the least. But he deserves credit for putting on a Hell of a show when he is in the ring. His matches against Billy Kidman, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle and many many more, has displayed his ability to hang with bigger guys and make it look convincing.

Rey is a 2-Time former World Champion and has held numerous other titles in his career. From Tag Team Titles, to Cruiserweight Titles, Rey has many accolades.

The edge I might give JYD in this match, is probably the charisma. He has more charisma then Rey. But I think Rey has an edge in every other aspect of this match up, except size.

Take Rey's match at Elimination Chamber. When it came down to him versus Edge, they really put on a show. Even in JYD's prime, he would have had no business in the ring with someone like Edge. Nor would he have been able to hold his own in a match with him, no matter how he was booked.

My vote goes to Rey Mysterio...

That being said... R.I.P. Junkyard Dog!!!

Rey, easily. Rey is one of WWE's best ever and most consistent performers inside the ring. He gets a lot of hatred recently for little to no reason. People say he's slow and useless these days. Please, people who say that, watch his match with Morrison in 2009, and from the same year, his series with Jericho. Look at last year with Punk. He guy is constantly churning out awesome matches, and in the last few years he's had some of his top matches in his career. I'm not a huge fan of his giant killing ability some of the time, but Rey most definitely deserves everything he's gotten, bar maybe his 2006 title run. The crowd love Rey, and he's very marketable. JYD, popular, but just not good in the ring a lot of the time.

Rey hands down.

I'll focus on Rey's qualities for a future match-up for him. Rey doesn't need to prove anything against the JYD.

JYD has had some pretty horrid matches, man. He accomplished a little bit with MSW, but he accomplished absolutely zero in the WWF, and absolutely zero with the WCW, and unfortunately, he passed away before (or during, depending on who you talk to) wrestling's peak.

Rey wins this.

Rey. JYD could be compared in a way with Santino Marella. They were there for entertainment and that alone. Rey is the most accomplished Mexican in the U.S. ever. Some can argue about his lack of size, but the fact that he can do so well with such a handicap should speak volumes about his abilities. He was a revolution in the U.S. and while so was JYD so to speak, he never had the ability to be solid and entertaining in the ring like Rey Rey without his gimmick.

Surprisingly I voted for Rey Mysterio. I say surprisingly because I am hardly a fan of the luchador in any way, shape or form. But there is no denying his athleticism, his connection with the crowd (Hispanic and otherwise), or his anilityvto withstand kayfabebpunishment. He has endured for a lengthy career spanning ECW, WCW, WWF/WWE, and ECW again. As much as I detest then 619, the most unrealistic looking and ineffective finisher in wrestling history, there's no denying the little guy with the big heart and the adoration of his fans.

So while I hope it is not a lengthy run, I do feel that Rey Mysterio has fo sneak past Junkyard Dog.

Rey gets another vote.

Rey has been able to overcome size and strength before, and has been able to do it against people who are bigger and stronger than the Junkyard Dog.

People have tried to talk about the Junkyard Dog's popularity, almost as if that would be enough to allow him to get past Mysterio, but Rey Mysterio has also been able to constantly prove his popularity within the WWE Universe.

Rey advances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back