Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: First Round: (16) Taz vs. (17) Billy Graham

Who Wins This Match

• Taz

• Billy Graham

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas.

nmc_18ReunionArenaAerial.JPG

#16 Taz

tazbig.jpg

Vs.

#17 Billy Graham

1.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Going with Taz. The beat anyone and everyone in ECW. He ran through all the competition and destroyed whoever stood in his way. He would throw you around the ruing and then put you in the Tazmission, where you either tapped or passed out. Billy Graham on the other hand, while a great heel, would run away from opponents and try and get cheap wins (countout, DQ etc...). That won't work here as Taz'll throw him all over the ring before making him tap. Billy Graham won't have much of a chance to get out of the starting blocks, just becuase of how Taz works. Taz FTW via submission!

I really am not sure who to vote for here. I was never a fan of Taz and Billy Graham was hit or miss for me. Taz was good in the ring and a guy who really helped ECW and became a star through them. Graham was a guy who paved the way for the likes of Hulk Hogan and Jesse Ventura. He was a walking gimmick and huge guy to boot. Taz in my mind has the edge in the ring, but Graham is good enough to get by. Leaning towards Billy Graham, but I could be easily swayed.

I had to go with Taz. I consulted a few people I know and it was a mixed bag. Billy Graham, a very charismatic character, but nowhere near Taz's talent. Taz wins this for me in a short, but sweet match.

I'm going with Taz here simply because my memory of the Superstar is cloudy at best. I'm not a guy that sits around and watches old matches over and over. I vividly remember the Tazmission and think that if the submission was applied to Graham, it'd be over fairly quickly.

I see a lot of overrating of Taz here and a lot of underrating of Billy Graham. Graham paved the way for guys like Hogan and Jessie Ventura who made it more on there charisma rather then wrestling skill. Taz was great in the ring but outside of the glorified indy fed that was ECW, he never achieved great success elsewhere. Graham is a former world champion in the WWWF and had the longest heel world title reign in WWE history. That's enough for me to give Graham the victory.

In terms of wrestling significance, this is an absolute cakewalk for Billy Graham, but it's not right to judge it on that.

In terms of how much they achieved in major promotions, this is an absolute cakewalk for Billy Graham, but it's not right to judge it on that.

In terms of the wrestlers they beat, this is an absolute cakewalk for Billy Graham, but it's not right to judge it on that.

Oh, wait a second, this isn't the "Good in ECW World Championships" is it? Oh, well in that case, it is right to give this to Billy Graham, who was a big driving force behind the 80s charisma wrestlers, who was a long time WWF World Champion, who beat the likes of Dusty Rhodes, Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino. Taz started well in WWF, but it went downhill from there. Graham started well in the WWF and went from strength to strength. Taz was great in an indy promotion, but that's not enough.

This is a tricky one for me. I voted for Taz but now I'm not sure I made the right pick. I'd be fine with either guy winning here. Taz in ECW was awesome but Graham I believe has the longest heel run with the WWF Title ever. This is close but I gave it to Taz just slightly for his success against bigger guys. Also, Graham at one point did a martial arts gimmick which was just bizarre so I had to pass on him here. I won't argue against Graham though.

Fuck, that sucks, I like Taz :(

However, Billy graham is by far and away one of the most influential wrestlers of all time, and a HUGE star on the national level during his heyday (as close to a national level as one could get)...Billy Graham was a forerunner to Hulk Hogan. Taz on the other hand, did cool suplexes and cursed a lot in High School gyms.

A no brainer, really.

I enjoyed Taz immensely back in his ECW days. Heyman knew how to book that character, and it worked well in that organization. However, once Taz became Tazz the curtain was lifted and the man simply couldn't compete on the big stage. It's not that Tazz was terrible, his size simply worked against him.

Billy Graham was the prototype of what wrestling eventually became. Good talker, excellent charisma, great physique, and enough ability in the ring to become the WWWF champion.

To be honest, I don't know much about either wrestler in their prime. But I would give my vote to Graham simply because his legacy is much greater than that of Tazz. Graham was the first 'Superstar' and the prototype of how wrestling build their stars nowadays.

I'm gonna vote for Graham. Why? Norcal and Tasty convinced me. Taz was only a force in ECW. Billy Graham was a WWWF champion.

While Taz is a great wrestler; I have to give the Superstar the nod in this matchup. Despite Tazz's ability with the suplex, and his ability as an honest to goodness great performer, Superstar Billy Graham is one of the most infulential wrestlers in the history of the business. This man was responsiblle for the gimmick that made not only himself, but every other bleached blonde muscleman a sucess in the Pro Wrestling business. Guys like Steve Strong, HHH, Jesse"the Body" Ventura, and no less than a talent by the name of Hulk Hogan all took a page or twenty from the schtick of the Superstar. Graham's influence can still be felt on the business today. His greatness on the mic, his natural charisma, his physique, and all of his other intangibles make him go over Tazz here in this matchup. Was his workrate better than that of Tazz? no. Did he have better in ring skills than Tazz??? No, but who sold more tickets to his matches, who was twenty years ahead of his time as a wrestling performer, who was one of the greatest sports entertainers of his, or for that matteer, any other era??? The correct choice in this matchup is for the best performer, not the best wrestler, and that choice is "Superstar" Billy Graham. VOTE SUPERSTAR GRAHAM.

Oh how quickly we forget eras long past and romanticize cult heroes. Taz was fine, but Superstar Billy Graham is a legend in every sense of the word. If there was a history of wrestling textbook, Taz would be a footnote next to a full page on Billy Graham. The Human Suplex Machine is fresh in our minds, but when he is gone for a period of time, will become a blip on the radar of wrestling greats. I don't typically vote based on significance, opting to look at each match as it would be, but Billy Graham was the first in the line of Hogans, Warriors, Austins, Rocks, and Cenas. Taz - ultimately - is nothing.

Taz easly.

If you take this from a wrestling standpoint no promoters involved Taz would destory Billy Graham. Taz will always be known as one of the toughest ever to wrestle and this would be one of his easyest matches in his career.

Graham was the bigger star, but I always loved seeing Taz go to work. He could throw out some of the best suplexes of any wrestler I could see, and I loved how tough he was for a small guy.

He had some sweet entrance music in WWE too, and having studied jujitsu myself, I liked seeing Taz use some of the throws and holds that I knew myself. He also had that awesome video package where he walked down an alley kicking things over with the voice over saying "All my friends are either dead...or in jail"...I loved that.

Anyway, back to the match....Graham would dominate initially with his size and power but Taz would suprise him with a Tazzplex out of nowhere, and then lock in the Tazzmission for a big upset win. Taz for me in this one

Taz is a good Wrestler, and was amazing in a bingo hall setting against other talent that looked impressive in dark lighting. Billy Graham won a World Heavyweight title from Bruno Sammartino. Errr, yeah, it's about as easy as that.

[youtube]wZWQyQELIhY[/youtube]

Graham outlasted the on-slaught of brutality from Bruno, and found a way to pull out the victory in that match. Taz might be dangerous, but he isn't that dangerous.

Taz is the so-called master of Suplexes, but that's about it. He won a lot with technical performances but he also had a hardcore setting to involve weapons when needed. Graham was a powerhouse and truly could be considered to Triple H. for the fans of today that don't have a clue who Graham is.

NorCal and Shocky have already said it best. Graham paved the way for guys like Hogan. Infact, if it weren't for injuries throughout his career - who knows how good Graham would've been during the age of Hogan. Regardless though, he's out done Taz (and especially "Tazz") in almost every aspect.

I'm not all that crazy about either one of these guys to be quite honest. Taz, like most of the guys to come out of ECW, is pretty overrated and Billy Graham often bored me half to death much of the time. I'm fine with either one of them pulling out a win here.

As for me, I'm going with Graham based on sheer overall influence and notoriety.

I honestly don't have a lot to add, but this vote is close so I figured I should get a post in. I don't want to insult Tazz. He was talented and perfromed well in his environment. However, his environment was a bingo hall that drew maybe 2,000 people. When Tazz made it to the big time he did not have much of an impact. He didn't really accomplish anything and quickly became a commentator. Superstar Billy Graham shined on the biggest stage. He ended the dominant reign of Bruno Sammartino and heavily influenced Hulk Hogan. Superstar gets my vote.

So much absurdity exists in this fucking thread.

How can ANYONE vote for Taz over Billy Graham?!? Graham is one of the greatest to ever wrestle. He had more charisma in his pinky than Taz does in his entire body... broken neck and all. Graham won world championship in promotions that actually meant something outside of the cult-demographic that is ECW. He changed the game and was a mentor for superstars of today such as Triple H.

But let's all vote for Taz because Paul Heyman portrayed him as a monster in a promotion that existed in bingo halls, right??

COME ON, GUYS... use your brains. Vote for Billy Graham.

This one could truly go either way. This is a pretty freakin' tough 16 Vs. 17.

2 different Eras clash here and 2 totally different wrestlers. I could vote for either one of them, and possibly regret my choice, because the other is so good at what he did as well.

Though I like Taz and would probably vote for him versus most, I will have to go with the "Superstar" in this. I think his overness when he was WWF/E Champion was probably more than Taz ever achieved. Granted, Taz held his own in ECW, but I do not think it matches what Billy Graham did in his day.

Also, I have a soft spot for Billy Graham from his late 80's days as a manager for Don Muraco and his situations with Hulk Hogan. I know this is a wrestling match, but every part of what he has done in wrestling, whether it be as an active wrestler or as a manager, plays a part in my opinion on him.

This is one of the harder votes for me, and maybe one of the closest matches. I think that could be more based on my fondness for Taz more than his ability to actually beat Billy Graham.

So, that being said, my vote is with "Superstar" Billy Graham. Though he was one of the bigger names in the 70's, somehow his legacy has become somewhat forgotten and he deserves some sort of credit just for being WWF Champion back in those days. That was done in a time where WWF gave one guy the ball, and let him run with it. So, that definitely marks his worth to the business, especially at that time, and says something about his status to be the "Ball Carrier" for WWF as a Heel, I might add.

Also, a quick note, he actually competed in the World's Strongest Man Competition in 1980 and even though he was injured at some point, he placed 7th.

It's the term "experience" that hooks me in, and that's what Billy Graham had. He was one of the early influential heels of the 70s and he was a very good talker who can back up what he says to get into his opponents heads. He has beaten the best (Bruno Sammartino, Jack Brisco, Dusty Rhodes, Pedro Morales, Don Muraco) so its natural that as good as Taz was in ECW, he can't stand guard with the Superstar.

My vote: Billy Graham

I want to vote for Taz. I remember how much of a beast he was. But Billy Graham is simply the superstar for a reason. He laid the road for Terry Bollea to be Hulk Hogan. I can't see this going any other way.

Billy Graham by botched outside interference (referee was distracted).

Both are legends in their different promotions, Grahm a great heel in the wwf, and Taz a wrecking machine in ECW, i just see Taz's style too much for Grahm. I say a slow start to the match ends with a few suplex's and a tazzmision, and Taz moving on(hopefully)
Winner: Taz in 14:30

Taz? Come on. So sure he could be entertaining and yeah, he knew his way around suplexes but Billy Graham is Billy Graham and it is as simple as that! Even at the "prime" of his career, Taz never played a major part in any title and he rarely ever had weapons totally ruled out which I see as more of a cowards way out than anything. Just because you know more about him or because he made you laugh as an announcer, Billy Graham trumps him in every category. Without him, there would be no Jesse Ventura or Hulk Hogan. Who did Taz pave the way for? Samoa Joe? Until he gets into the Hall of Fame and is known across the world, don't even try to compare. So Taz is a little more talented physically? Look at the Miz for goodness sake! He isn't the next Rock but he has beaten some people much more imposing than him by playing dirty and by breaking rules because it is a part of wrestling and who says it can't be the same for Billy Graham? He can poke eyes and rake backs with the best of them and if he can weasel out of a dangerous situation, he will and he'll do it a lot better than The Miz will for a very long time. The Tazzmission is innovative but Billy is going to know when it's coming, he's not stupid. Graham got some of the most heat among his fellow wrestlers, he could talk on the mic for hours on end, and Taz can only do that when he has a script in front of him. This is why Graham is easily avoiding the Tazzmission and locking in that bearhug as tight as he can, maybe after an unseen low blow. And guess what? The real loser is actually losing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back