Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: Second Round: (9) Curt Hennig vs. (8) Rey Mysterio

Discussion in 'Phoenix Region' started by klunderbunker, Mar 4, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Curt Hennig

2. Rey Mysterio

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a second round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas.

[​IMG]

#9 Curt Hennig

[​IMG]

Vs.

#8 Rey Mysterio

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

2. PsychoBlack

PsychoBlack Damn it feels good to be a Taylor!!

Curt Hennig wins this one in dominating fashion. Rey has a great following and all of his high flying moves are wonderful, however, things like that will not work against a wrestler like Curt. He is just two smart and as soon as Mysterio makes a mistake Curt will be all over him like white on rice. Curt Wrestled extremely intricate chess matches and usually only lost to technical masters of the sport. That is one thing that Rey is not he is constantly turning his back on his opponents and his moves require perfect timing which he often does not seem to have.

This is without mentioning the fact that Hennig's run with the AWA world championship is more than twice as long as both Of Mysterio's reigns as World Heavyweight Champ.

Hennig ends it at about 15 minutes with a perfectplex

3. Teddy Irving

Teddy Irving Pre-Show Stalwart

Mr. Perfect will take this one with his well thought out game plan and sheer perfection. Mysterio will obviously get in some good offence but will go to the high flying well once to often only to be cut of and hit with the perfectplex for the 1,2,3. Perfect was rarely beaten and when he was it was usually by the great technicians of the industry which mysterio is not.

4. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

This would be an amazing match to witness, but I have no doubt that Mr. Perfect would go over in the end.

Curt Hennig is one of the most complete wrestlers ever. The man had the look, the gimmick, the mic skills, and an ungodly amount of talent in the ring. What he lacked in size he made up for in tenacity and technique, and those things made him one of the most enjoyable wrestlers to watch work a match.

Rey Mysterio is also very talented, but in every category, Hennig is better. Hennig had a better gimmick, he was better on the stick, and he was better in the ring. Both could put on great matches, but Hennig made it look easy and did it with regularity. Furthermore, Hennig was nearly always relevant during his career, and was almost always one of the top wrestlers in the company.

Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig moves on here.

5. Big Nick Dudley

I see this thread turning into new school fans vs. old school fans. The newer fans will yammer about how many titles Mysterio has held in comparison to the titles Hennig didn't hold. The older fans (like myself) will again point to the time period in which Hennig was most popular, the 80's, and talk about how no one got further ahead because of the phenomenon known as Hulk Hogan.

Both men are great at what they do, no doubt. I prefer Hennig, so I'm voting for him. He was a great wrestler, and like so many others from the mid-to-late 80's, didn't hold a major title despite his talent. Not only was Hennig uber talented, he was one of the smartest in-ring competitors I've ever seen. Getting caught in the 6-1-9 trap is hard for me to buy into.

Hennig is my pick.

6. The Bearded One

The Bearded One Love is not admissable evidence.

This would be a great match. Mr. Perfect in his prime vs Rey Mysterio in his? Yes please! But who would win?

Henning would want to make it a technical match up and try to ground Mysterio. Mysterio would try to use his speed and agility to fly around and attack Henning from all angles. There are few, if any, better at doing what these two men do then who is in the match.

I think Mysterio would be able to pull the win off in this one. He has shown time and time again that he has the ability to overcome larger wrestlers than him. Henning is not a big guy in wrestling standards, I would have to consider him average size for a wrestler. If Mysterio is able to pull off the upsets against wrestlers that would dwarf Henning, why wouldn't he be able to do the same against him?

My pick goes to Mysterio.

7. PsychoBlack

You said it yourself Hennig will ground Mysterio. If Rey is grounded than their would be no way he could be able to do the high flying mumbo jumbo that he does so often.

Those men did not have the ring savvy that Hennig possesses. Mysterio beat guys like Batista, Big Show, Kevin Nash, and Kane the knock on these guys is that they are slow and cant move very well. Hennig does not have those problems. He is about as fast as Mysterio is to be honest I mean he was the perfect athlete.

Vote Hennig

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Occasional Pre-Show

I haven't voted yet but I don't think this match is such a runaway for Mr. Perfect. Keep in mind this is coming from a vehement Mysterio hater, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as Hennig walking all over Mysterio. I only say this because of Mysterio's style which is highly unorthodox from anything Curt Henning ever faced in his day. This could likely throw him off of his game and mess with every part of his repertoire. Mysterio in his prime is much faster than Henning, much more agile, his timing is spot on, his ability is through the roof, and since the offense he will bring will be something that Hennig has never dealt with I think he has a much greater chance of victory than what the first glance assumption lets on. I don't even need to explain all the reasons Henning could win this one, that is all obvious. I'm just not decided on this one yet. I'm going to wait to read some other peoples arguments before I put down the gavel on this one.

9. The Bearded One

But Mysterio will use his speed and not allow himself to be grounded by Henning.

Mysterio has also beaten guys with the ring savvy of Henning. He beat both Orton and Angle to win the Heavyweight Title at Wrestlemania 23. I would say that Angle is more ring savvy than Henning. Regardless of the that, he has proven that just because someone is bigger than him it doesn't mean they can ground him.

Mysterio also has achieved a higher ranking than Henning in PWI's Top 500 wrestlers. The highest Henning has ever been was number nine, while Mysterio has reached number four. Mysterio has also been named Wrestling Observer Newsletter Best Flying Wrestler six times (1995-1997 and 2002-2004), Rookie of the Year (2002) and is a member of the 2010 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame. The only WON award Henning has ever won was Most Improved (1983). You can argue that Henning is a WWE HOFer, but there is no doubt that Mysterio will join him in that Hall of Fame one day.

So while I love me some Mr. Perfect, and his match with Bret Hart at SummerSlam 1991 is one of my all-time favorite matches, I still have to go with Mysterio by a hair.

TLC and shattered dreams like this.
  10. FitFinlay4Life

FitFinlay4Life What's the craic?

The strange thing about Rey Rey is that he is a shadow of what he used to be in WCW. In WCW, he was much lighter (140lbs/ 63.5kg/ 10stone) and more dynamic wrestler for it and the 619 was never used as an offensive move (in fact it didn't even have a name), but was instead a psych-out/ set up to an opponent outside the ring. Back then, he may still have been the smallest dog in the fight but it wasn't obvious because he predominantly fought cruiser-weights who couldn't be massively bigger than him. Misterio Jnr even began his 'giant killer' persona here beating guys like Kevin Nash and Scott 'Flash' Norton.

Like Benoit, Y2J and Eddie before him, when Mysterio joined the E his body mass was greatly increased (178lbs/ 80.7kg/ 12stone 2lbs), the cruiser weights were phased out and he now mostly fought heavy weights. His body has deteriorated to the extent that his knees are no better than Nash's or Khali's - and this is generally a big man problem. While he has had some brilliant matches in the WWe, he isn't nearly the performer he was pre VKMland.

Yet, his legacy in the number 1 promotion is (on paper) very impressive topped with two reigns with the Big Gold Belt. However he has never been booked as a competent Champion and rumours of bias based politicking ran rampant when he escaped wellness policy sanctions and was awarded a second championship.

On the other side we have Curt Hennig who was given a good start in life by being the son of AWA Legend Larry Hennig - I'm guessing there could be a good case for nepotism leading to him winning the belt but he had the ability and charisma to be allowed a 53 week reign.

However, in Hennig's fully fit 'Mr Perfect' WWF run (fall '88 to summer '91) only 4 names (Savage, Hogan twice, Warrior and Slaughter) held the title AND this was coming off a 4 year Hogan reign. In the approximate 4 years years between Mysterio reigns there have been 11 different guys (Booker T, Batista 3 reigns, Undertaker 3 reigns, Edge 5 reigns, Khali, CM Punk 3 reigns, Y2J 3 reigns, Cena 2 reigns, Jeff Hardy 2 reigns, Swagger and back to Mysterio) and 26 title changes. It sort of places a question mark over world title reigns as a means of putting down pre 90's superstars who never won the 'big one', doesn't it?

I believe that Curt versus Rey at their respective primes in a fair match would be a close call, if a hard match to script - given both combatants gifts for selling, who'd dominate? I'll go with simple logic for a result, Curt is a technician and Rey is a high flier - the wrestler takes advantage of a botched high risk move for a quick Perfectplex and victory.

Jack-Hammer likes this.
  11. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Now I just really want people to think about this. At first glance I was like a lot of people here and thought Henning would take it, but then I thought. Rey Mysterio has beaten a lot bigger and a lot badder than Henning, who was despite his ability a career mid-carder. And I'm not talking since 2006 either. If people cast their minds back to WCW around 1999 they may remember a little period of Rey Mysterio as the original "giant killer". Nash, Bigelow, Scott Norton were all names that fell to the then mere 24 year old athlete. Put into perspective that's a year younger than Cody Rhodes!

Someone posted a video in another thread with Kevin Nash to justify why he may lose against his drawn opponent. I'm going to post the same video as a justification as to why Rey may win.

[YOUTUBE]UJASPVcjch8&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

There is one aspect of the game where Rey Mysterio visibly exceeds all others and it's often overlooked, pinning. He posesses and uses a whole host of different roll-ups and pinning manoeuvres that can be applied so quick there isn't even enough time to think to get yourselves out of them. It is forever infinitely possibly that these moves can be used against any opponent from 7ft to less than 6 and this has been proven from his list of fallen opponents.

I'm not certain who I'll be voting now but I've always had this idea that Rey Mysterio is a guy who silently gets bad rep for being beloved by children just like Cena. But unlike Cena, this is not reprehended by the more hardcore members of the IWC. For me he is much better than many give him credit for, he is not a fantastic talker but he performs consistently well in the ring and plays up to his role of being the ultimate underdog inappreciatively well.

I just want people to think before they go "he's dead, he was a good wrestler, he was underrated - HE WINS". Don't forget Mysterio is a good wrestler in his own right also.

12. PsychoBlack

I'll agree that angle is more ring savvy than Hennig, but, we were talking about men who dwarf Hennig in size. Those big guys rely so much on their size that they can hardly move around the ring. Angle and Hennig are about the same size and Orton might be a few inches taller but he is in no way a giant in professional wrestling terms.

The fact that you bought PWI and WON into this equation is just disgustingly stupid. That is one mans opinion and means nothing more to me then if i asked some random guy on Wrestlezone who he thought would win means to you.

Vote Hennig

The Bearded One likes this.
  13. ABMorales787

ABMorales787 Lord And Master
    Staff Member Administrator

It's a known fact that Curt Hennig was a tremendous wrestler and a tremendous ring technician. But if that's the reason why he should go over Rey then we might as well just crown him the winner of the tournament. This is a contract in styles. But it's not like we haven't seen it before. Who is Dean Malenko? Another technical marvel. Who Rey holds victories over. Sure, Dean may lack the size Hennig has but he's still every bit as good in the ring. Rey easily give Hennig a run for his money. And even win. It's not something impossible or outrageous. We've seen Rey fight great technical wrestlers as well as large ones. Not only wrestle, but win too.

14. Sparky

Sparky Master of the Aussie kiss

Curt wins this for me. Rey might be good wrestling wise, but Mr perfect was Perfect in every aspect. Great wrestler, great on the Mic and he oozed Charisma. He would first get in the head of Rey and make him make a mistake and then hit him with a few perfect plexus for the three count.

15. The Bearded One

You just admitted that Angle is more ring savvy than Henning, which was one of your main arguments for voting Henning. So, in a math equation, that looks like this:

Angle > Henning

Mysterio has beaten Angle on the biggest stage of them all. So, in a math equation, that looks like this:

Mysterio > Angle

So, by using logic, we can infer this:

Mysterio > Henning

I couldn't make it any more clearer.

Mysterio has been known as the "Giant Killer." You admit that these men dwarf Henning in size, which makes this moniker even more impressive. Mysterio is giving up over a foot and a half in some cases. Sure, they may not be able to move as well as Henning, but Henning isn't as powerful as them. Mysterio was still able to overcome them. Mysterio has beaten, as you admitted, better than Henning. Mysterio has beaten bigger than Henning. So why wouldn't Mysterio beat Henning?

Except the some random guy on Wrestlezone doesn't have the same merit as PWI and WON. They have been writing about wrestling for YEARS and they get there awards right many more times than they do wrong. The opinions of these publications are accepted by many people as the truth. They are listed as accomplishments for a reason.

No can do.

PsychoBlack likes this.
  16. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I went with Mysterio. If there's one type of wrestler Mysterio almost always comes out with the victory against, it's the athletic technical heel wrestler, which describes Mr. Perfect perfectly. Malenko, Guerrero, Angle, Regal, Hennig, Benoit, Benjamin all lost to Mysterio before he won the world title, all of which are pretty similar to Hennig, and one of which is actually Curt Hennig.

It's true to say that Hennig was a big deal in the late 80s, but some of the arse spoken here is just wrong. If he was that good, he would have had a title match at more than zero WrestleManias, and he would not have been booked to have a record of 0-3 at WrestleMania, nor would he have lost his only ever singles match at Starrcade. If ever there was any proof to suggest that somebody couldn't win when it really mattered, it is that. Rey Mysterio has taken his chances to win world titles, and wins against wrestlers like Hennig. Hennig does not take his opportunities and would lose here.

17. PsychoBlack

First of all those are inequalities not equations. Second of all styles make matches. Just because you beat one guy does not mean that you can beat every wrestler that he's beat. I'm sure you already know that. Now finally I have to get to this part, Winning a triple threat match means shit. That just means that they couldn't put you over either guy clean so they had to throw in a third to make it seem more realistic. Which is exactly why Orton was bought in. This triple threat match does shit for Mysterio except start one of the worst runs with any world championship in history.

You act as if his wins over big men has anything to do with Hennig. Hennig may have been the best all around athlete to ever step foot in a wrestling ring (speed, stanima, strength, agility) and you saying that because he was not 6'5 he can't go over a guy that's 5'6, I dont understand it. You continue to talk about how rey was the "giant killer" but you dont mention how many matches he has lost to Superstars that were the same size as him: Juventud Guerrera, Eddie Guerrero, Psychosis, Chris Jericho, Billy Kidman, Chavo Guerrero, CM Punk, Ultimo Dragon. The list goes on and on so while you can continue to use your silly "giant killer" moniker this has nothing to do with Hennig seeing as how he is not a giant.

Their are guys all over the place that have been doing the exact same thing that PWI and WON do with their buddies for years, hell some of them probably longer. If you asked 100 different people to give out those award you could have 100 different lists which is why what PWI and WON do mean absolutely nothing in this tournament. Their fans just like us

Vote Hennig

18. Jack-Hammer

Jack-Hammer YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
    Staff Member Moderator

This would be a terrific match that would've stolen the show on just about any card you put it on. There'd be tons of energy and it's a great mesh of styles. While Henning is more of a technical wrestler, he was also quite athletic and could keep up a quick pace with Mysterio. Mysterio is a guy that's often underestimated due to his size and he's scored some huge victories in his time.

I believe that either one of these men is capable of going over the other. Hennig was one of the best all around pro wrestlers of his time and Rey is very resourceful & has shown that a little man can succeed in the big time in American wrestling. Both of these guys would hit most if not all of their signature moves throughout and I can just picture the crowd being super hot for it from start to finish.

In the end, I'm giving the edge to Hennig. Mysterio's offense relies a lot on his high risk moves and we've seen it cost him wins before. If he misses the right move at the right point in the match, such as when both he & Hennig are winded and "hurting" from a long competitive match, Hennig would capitalize. Hennig for the win at the 20 minute mark.

FitFinlay4Life likes this.
  19. Nate DaMac

Nate DaMac Fuck erbody but me

This would be a fun encounter with both men in their primes. Hennig was a superb technician and Rey at his peak is still the most impressive high flier I have ever seen in the business. Both men are more than capable of having a fantastic match, and no doubt this match would steal the show on pretty much any card.

My criteria for this specific match up? Hair. Hennig has a luxurious mane with the golden blond locks and the perm. Rey pretty much always has his head shaved. Now that isn't very impressive is it?

Vote Hennig.

20. The Bearded One

Inequalities, equations whatever. I'm a journalism major for a reason.

But Mysterio beat a guy you admitted was better than Henning. If he beat someone you admitted was better than Henning, why wouldn't he be able to beat Henning as well?

I'm going to post a match in which Mysterio beats two of the best wrestlers of all time. If he can beat both of these men, he should be able to take care of Henning as well.

[YOUTUBE]RluoWmk7Lj4[/YOUTUBE]

He beat Angle and Benoit in 2002! That was roughly four years before his World Championship win at Wrestlemania. He had not even reached the lvel he was able to one day achieve and could still beat two of the best technical wrestlers of all time. I would also say both men are better than Henning.

He's beaten wrestlers bigger than Henning who are more powerful than henning could ever dream of being. They may have not had the speed of Henning, but they had more strength than Henning ever had. If he is able to go over more powerful guys, why couldn't he go over someone who is slightly larger than him. Henning has the edge in strength, but Mysterio has the edge in every other category. The guys you mentioned match up with Myserio perfectly and can match his speed, which is something he's had trouble with. But Henning can't match his speed or agility, so Mysterio would come out on top.

Can't do that. Just looks at Tastycles post. Look at the list of men Mysterio has beaten. On the list is CURT HENNING. Mysterio has defeated Curt Henning in real life. How can you vote for anyone other than Mysterio in this match up? He's already beaten the man before, so that kind of makes this vote fairly obvious.

But if that's not enough, let's take a look at their WCW resumes. Henning is a one time United States Champion and his only reign lasted 104 days. People talk about how the Miz is awful and doesn't make a good champion, but his first reign lasted 224 days, and this is in an era when titles are traded like baseball cards. Henning is also a one time WCW Tag Team Champion with barry Windham and their reign lasted three weeks. For Henning's entire run in WCW, he was champion for 125 days.

Rey Mysterio held the Cruiserweight Title five times in WCW, and two reigns of his reigns with the Cruiserweight Title almost matched Henning's entire run with both championships. Mysterio's first reign lasted 111 days and his fourth reign lasted 115 days. Add those together and only two of Mysterio's five reigns nearly doubles that of Henning's titles.

Mysterio also won the same WCW Tag Team Titles that Henning won, except he won them three times. Two of those reigns lasted longer than Henning's one reign. Added all together, Mysterio held a title in WCW for 362 days, and that is not counting his reign as Cruiserweight Tag Team Champion.

Mysterio and Henning were in WCW for roughly the same amount of time, and Mysterio was more accomplsihed during this time. Mysterio held more titles in the same company at the same time as Henning. All I remember Henning for was being an nWo lackey and singing "Rap Is Crap." Mysterio jsut seems all around the most obvious choice here.

21. The Holy One

The Holy One What's really good?

Never has there been a wrestler who gets as much undeserved shit as Rey does. One of the most consistent and best performers in the ring in the past 20 years. One of the most important factors for WWE's international expansion. He's had Match of the Year candidates almost every year since he came into the States. His achievements in the WWE and WCW trumphs Hennig's in both companies. As stated previously, Rey has beaten several men that share Hennig's in ring style and some of them are better at using that style than Hennig. Also, Rey has already beaten Hennig during his Cruiserweight days no less. There's no reason to vote Hennig over Rey other than personal peference.

22. PsychoBlack

Interesting I want to major in journalism as well.

I can post videos of Hennig matches all day whats your point? A triple threat win usually comes from a guy getting knocked out and just so happening to "wake up" at an opportune time That shit means nothing in The WZ tourney so i dont know why you continue to talk about these triple threat matches.

Were we watching the same Curt Hennig? The Hennig i remember could move like one of the little guys and was still country strong. You use all of this giant killer shit like Hennig wasn't Mr. Perfect. He could do anything that a small man like Mysterio could in a much larger body. Not to mention that during Mysterio's PRIME he no longer possessed the speed that he once did in his younger days. He lost matches To Mark Henry, The Great Khali, and Booker T beat him all of these men are inferior to Hennig and all of these losses came in Mysterios prime.

If Mysterio did beat Hennig it was during his period with the West Texas Rednecks which was quite shitty if i do say so myself. Curt's back was basically shattered at that point and he had just lost his lifelong best friend Rick Rude.

Your talent for researching Wikipedia is amazing i must say that. Neither of these men were in their prime when they were in WCW so i have no clue why we're even discussing titles in WCW. I'm not sure if you understand which form of the word prime we're using so here ill define it for you it means the most flourishing stage or state. For Mysterio I'd say that was from around 2002 up until he lost his title in 2006 and for Hennig i would say he was at the top of his game from about 1985 until 1993. If your going to compare accomplishments and wins and loss records do it during these time period because they were the most flourishing stage either of these men saw in their career. Also you have to weigh each accomplishment accordingly. I hate to say it but after about the first two years of it's existence the cruiser weight title didn't mean a damn thing in either company.

Like i just said The WCW accomplishments dont mean shit in this argument. Now you seem to be a bit confused. Hennig was never an NWO lackey, he was probably the only member to win a match clean in the entire time he was in the faction. Outside of the original three the only members that accomplished anything during that time were Savage, Konnan, Steiner, and Hennig.

Although Mysterio has one more world championship reign than Hennig his resume is still not impressive enough to top him here. Bret Hart, Hogan, Piper, Michaels, Luger, Benoit, Malenko, Flair, Lesnar, Jarret, Bockwinkel, Gagne, Misawa, Lawler, Jericho, Owen Hart, Santana, Snuka, hell the list of superstars that have fallen to Hennig could go on all day. Rey Mysterio shouldn't even be spoken of in the same sentence as Curt Hennig

Vote Hennig

23. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Rey Mysterio without a second thought.

This may be blasphemy but Mysterio and Cena consistently have had the greatest matches since 2002. Mysterio has beaten everyone he has faced in the WWE. He's beaten technical wrestlers, power wresters, etc. Hennig is good but between the ropes I will take Mysterio any day of the week because he's proven it each and every year.

Mr. Perfect doesn't hold pinfall victories over Hogan and Lesnar. I don't know what PsychoBlack is talking about.

24. PsychoBlack

[YOUTUBE]xidab2JBElA[/YOUTUBE] there it is. I cant find the video of him beating Hogan but it was on some indy tour in the early 2000s beleive me or not it happened

25. shattered dreams

shattered dreams Hexagonal Hedonist

A dark match is why someone will win in the wrestlezone tournament? Not sure I have ever seen that twisted logic before, so I will give you some props for that, but I hope those that have not voted yet see how that "argument" shows you have a weak position.

It is always interesting to see the old school crowd vote as marks for such guys and then "evolve" into smarks when it comes to evaluating current talent. Rey drew more money, won more matches, had a better kayfabe prime and did all this with his size and style. You can argue that Rey could lose any match based on those last two elements, but the fact is that more often than not he won anyway, making such statements questionable to say the least. Maybe if Hennig was a dominating physical presence I could see the case but he wasn't. Even if you put Mr. Perfect in this era, Rey is going to be a bigger star than him.