Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: First Round: (1)Shawn Michaels vs. (32)Robert Roode

Discussion in 'Phoenix Region' started by klunderbunker, Feb 22, 2011.

?

Who Wins This Match

1. Shawn Michaels

2. Robert Roode

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. klunderbunker

klunderbunker Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House

The following contest is a first round match in the Phoenix Region.

This match takes place in the Reunion Arena in Dallas, Texas.

[​IMG]

#1 Shawn Michaels

[​IMG]

Vs.

#32 Robert Roode

[​IMG]

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

2. Coco

Coco Mid-Card Championship Winner

This is easy for me. I'm going with Robert Roode. To put it quite simply, Roode had a better 2010 than Shawn Michaels. Michaels' 2010 is going to be remembered for having a match with Undertaker that, in spite of a superior ending, failed to live up to the hype surrounding it or the Taker-Michaels match the previous year. Roode, on the other hand, gave the MCMGs some of their most exciting TNA matches ever and made their long-awaited reign come off like aces. Who else could have done that? Ink Inc? Team 3D? Hardly. To me, 2010 cemented Roode among the all-time greats of this business and it's time we recognize him as such with a win over HBK. With James Storm and Immortal in his corner, is there any way he loses?

Vote Roode.

Serious Mozzarella likes this.
  3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Rear Naked Bloke

Coco makes a compelling case and I do like me a bit of Robert Roode. Why, I remember him and James Storm winning their first set of TNA Tag Team Championships. Well, it wasn't Storm's first set of tag titles but you get the picture.

Roode has a strong, powerful and athletic style and, despite not being seven foot tall, is an intimidating, muscular man. And, Coco's right, Immortal/Fortune/Storm would be quite the leveler.

I like Michaels. Maybe not as much as the average wrestling fan, but I do like him. However, you'll have to count me as a neutral observer as I see how this one develops.

4. Little Jerry Lawler

Little Jerry Lawler Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids

Everyone has complained about guys like Cena and Austin's movesets when HBK's is no different. I've watched plenty of his matches and I've never seen anything that groundbreaking or something that makes me say that he's better than everybody else. He may have had great matches with Cena, HHH, and Angle but he's put on average affairs with those same wrestlers as well. I prefer Storm more than Roode but what I've seen out of Roode in the past few years makes me think he can beat HBK. Managers will come into play and while HBK may have Diesel or Sid in his corner, Roode has his Beer Money partner plus AJ Styles and Kazarian as well. Might as well throw Immortal, Traci Brooks, Jacqueline, and Team Canada in the mix as well. This match won't end clean as while the referee is distracted, Storms hits HBK over the head with a beer bottle and Roode picks up the win.

5. Theo Mays

Theo Mays Part Time Poster

I'm a big fan of Robert Roode and I believe he has a very bright future in the wrestling business. When it comes to Shawn Michaels I'm hit or miss with him. Michaels is loved by most fans and many consider him one of, if not the greatest performer of all time. I don't consider him the greatest performer, but he definitely was up there. Michaels impact on the wrestling business is greater than that of Robert Roode. Michaels helped in the WWE transferring into the attitude era with DX and he has been involved in some of the greatest moments in wrestling history (think Screwjob). Roode will definitely hang around with HBK, but I just can't see him going over HBK here.

6. nightmare

nightmare ...7, 8, Better stay up late...

Quite simply put- Roode would beat HBK in a real matchup. Texas might be home to HBK, but the crowd wont stop Roode from picking apart Shawn.

If Nash is in Shawns' corner it gives an advantage, but Storm would quickly level that playing field. On in ring ability Shawn is one of the best, but was always made to look better bc of his opponents, (Taker, Jericho etc.). Roode has a fantastic moveset, quick as HBK & is by far the stronger of the two. If this match was at Wrestlemania, Roode would lose- but its not. Despite the inevitable outside distraction from either side, Robert Roode takes this match.

7. Joe's Gonna Kill You

Joe's Gonna Kill You The Hunt is On

I am a HUGE fan of both Robert Roode and Mr HBK Shawn Michaels. Coming in to this match I was definitely going to vote for Shawn in this match but Coco, Sam, LJL have made some compelling arguments and have swayed me to vote for Robert Roode I won't yet I will a couple more days before casting my vote to see if any can change my mind.

8. Mr. Artistic guy

Mr. Artistic guy Better Off This Way

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan, widely regarded as the greatest wrestling manager of all time came out of retirement to offer his management services to one man. That one man was Robert Roode. Robert Roode refused his services. Sorry let me just clarify this for you. This is the same man who made Ric Flair look even greater than he was, took Andre to the Silverdome in front of 93,000 people, harnessed the man he proclaimed as one of the toughest guys to ever grace the business in Harley Race, made others more noticeable just with his prescence and had the most elite list of managed superstars in wrestling history.

THAT is the man he said no to, the guy who managed the hero and idol of HBK in the irrepressible Ric Flair, do you think Shawn Michael would have said no if The Brain came knocking?

gd likes this.
  9. Little Jerry Lawler

Bobby Heenan is the same man who managed King Kong Bundy, Red Rooster, and The Brooklyn Brawler. He took Andre to the Silverdome and lost. I'm sure Roode doesn't want anything like that happening.

Your point would be more valid if Heenan managed HBK which he didn't.

Mr. Artistic guy likes this.
  10. klunderbunker

.....really? Really? REALLY???

6 votes for Roode? I knew TNA marks were a bit off but really?

This is Shawn Michaels. As in the guy with multiple world, tag and midcard titles. What does Roode have again? Six tag title reigns. How many does Shawn have you ask? That would be six as well. Roode has accomplished more or less nothing as a singles guy. Shawn has main evented how many Wrestlemanias and stolen the show on how many of them?

Oh wait I forgot: Roode has POTENTIAL! That's all I ever hear about him: how great he COULD be if given the chance. Well people seem to have very short memories because a few years ago he was put on his own and guess what: it sucked. He feuded with Booker T and Eric Young and the feuds bombed.

Then we have Shawn Michaels. Where do I begin? Let's see: back to back to back matches of the year? Check. Won the world title at Wrestlemania? Check. Two time Royal Rumble winner? Check. Hall of Famer? Check. Face of his company for awhile? Check. Involved in the most controversial moment ever? Check. Do I need to go on? Why in the world is this even remotely close again?

HBK-aholic, Fizzy and Ferbian like this.
  11. shattered dreams

shattered dreams Hexagonal Hedonist

Hmm has pillow talk ever made it into the wrestlezone tournament before?

Anyway, the case for Roode is the infamous primes argument. Clearly Roode has a bright future. Just look at all that raw POTENTIAL. Roode is going to be an absolute beast in his prime. Roode is not a christian that murders animals without having even enough decency to eat them. Shawn Michaels did lots of drugs and that argument seems to be way over in the Jeff Hardy thread. In spite of his talent Michaels often played second fiddle. Robert Roode is undefeated against many WWE superstars while they have all beaten Michaels. In his prime my sources indicate Roode will be playing second fiddle to no one. Michaels might steal the show but as often happens when Shawn does, his opponent would win the match.

12. Dave

Dave Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

When I clicked on Shawn Michaels name and then submitted my vote, I was almost expecting him to be losing by the way people were talking in here. No one, with the exception of KB put together an argument for one of the finest wrestlers in the history of professional wrestling. No one put forward an argument as to why the winner of one of these tournaments would go over a man whose biggest accomplishment is a few tag team championship wins in the second company of professional wrestling in the Unites States.

Maybe it just goes without saying, or maybe it is because people are really out to cause an upset in this tournament in the early stages but there is no reason to vote for Robert Roode over Shawn Michaels here. I mean... IT IS FUCKING SHAWN MICHAELS!

So what if Robert Roode has a lot of potential? Put him against someone like Wade Barrett and see who comes out on top. Barrett has a lot of potential and I would probably still back him against Roode. The man has accomplished nothing compared to the legacy of Shawn Michaels. This is the man who took the Undertaker to the limit in two consecutive WrestleMania matches and this is the man who has accomplished everything that there is to accomplish in the professional wrestling world. This is Mr. WrestleMania against someone who would have a hard enough time beating some of the mid-card talent of the WWE.

Please.

13. klunderbunker

The same bright future he's had for what, four years now and he still hasn't won anything as a singles guy?

He's already 34 and has been in TNA since more or less the beginning. How much longer does he need to reach that prime everyone talks about?

You really want to go with this? Ok then. Since coming back as a Christian, Shawn has won a world title, two tag titles, main evented two Wrestlemanias and been inducted into the Hall of Fame. Roode has won.....what on his own exactly?

So in other words a guy that is high can still run circles around Roode? Not helping yourself here.

While Roode can't even get into the band. Not to mention while Shawn may have been second fiddle for a lot of his career, he's been top fiddle more than once. Roode uh....hasn't.

I'd LOVE to see this list. Also by this argument, Brooklyn Brawler > HHH.

I told you to stop listening to those voices in your head!

As opposed to Roode who often opens it.

14. Tanned Sheamus 2.0

Tanned Sheamus 2.0 Dark Match Jobber

Roode has POTENTIAL? HE'S 34! Some guys consider hanging up their boots round 'bout now. Roode has multiple tag title reigns. Michaels has multiple ROYAL RUMBLE WINS!
    Has to be Michaels. I think some people would just love to see a big name out early.

15. Little Jerry Lawler

He's stolen the show and lost more times than he's stolen and won.

How do you think wrestlers get elevated nowadays? Because the higher ups see potential. They saw potential in Cena, Batista, etc.

I'm sure TNA realizes the mistake they made in putting on Joe when Roode was clearly more over. Without Nash in 2008, Joe would have been the equivalent of Eric Young.

Lost to every big name of his generation? Check. Only good for one match a year? Check.

Gotta love personal preference, don't you?

16. 6timehitta

6timehitta Big Papa Panty Droppa

Yea, if Shawn Micheals loses to Robert Fucking Roode, I'll revolt!!!! Robert Roode, look is a good, talented wrestler. Underrated, yes, extremely talented, yes, but there is no way in the bluest of blue hells that Shawn Micheals loses to Robert Roode. Awful lot of TNA marks on here though.

17. klunderbunker

Are you really trying to argue wins/losses in pro wrestling? Fine. According to profightdb.com, Roode's career record is 119-131 with 6 draws. Shawn's is 228-136 with 35 draws. Shawn has over 100 more wins and 5 more losses. Shawn wins that, period.

And they kept pushing Shawn in two different decades and arguably four different eras. Roode got pushed....when?

You mean the same Joe that was pushed before Nash, during Nash and after Nash? As opposed to Roode who has never been pushed? Joe was the most popular guy in TNA until Angle showed up, period.

How many is Roode good for a year? 1? Shawn has great matches on the big stage. Roode watches the big stage.

Yes. Your stupidity makes me laugh at you very much.

18. Little Jerry Lawler

I made the mistake of caring about accolades and how many Wrestlemanias someone main evented and all that stuff in years past but not now because it doesn't matter in a match. Managers come into play and I've already said that while Shawn has Diesel, Sherri, and Sid that Roode had a lot more. I'll take Storm with a beer bottle or Scott D'Amore with the Canadian flag over anything Shawn's side has to dish out.

Shawn Michaels isn't this invincible god that cannot be beat. If 2008 Jeff Hardy can beat him clean, then Robert Roode can beat him.

Now I will await a response of how Shawn Michaels wasn't in his prime in 2008.

19. Chardee Macdennis

Chardee Macdennis Getting Noticed By Management

This is simple. It's Shawn Micheals. He's been a STAR in at least two decades. He's co-captained one of, if not THE biggest factions in all of wrestling. He's involved in not one, but two of the most controversial wrestling shoots of all time in the MSG incident and Montreal Screwjob and I haven't even listed his actual in ring accomplishments yet. Michaels goes over Roode every day of the week and twice on Sunday...Nuff said!

20. klunderbunker

No no no 2008 is fine.

First and foremost, James Storm isn't a manager. He's a wrestler, as are Diesel and Sid. You could make an argument for Diesel and Sid being managers, but if we're including wrestlers there's a team called DX you may have heard of? Moot point though since wrestlers were never mentioned as being at ringside and I think that since I wrote the rules I'd know better than anyone.

Second, Hardy did beat Shawn in 2008. In the main event. In a one on one match. Roode has main evented how many Impacts? How many PPVs? Shawn was busy retiring Ric Flair that year. Then he had the feud of/match of the year with Chris Jericho for the world title. In 2008 Roode was losing a feud to Booker T and then formed a new tag team where he's been ever since. In other words he started as a singles guy, lost his biggest feud and then went back to doing what he was doing before because TNA decided he wasn't worth a singles run.

That clear up 2008 well enough for you?

21. JGlass

JGlass Unregistered User

The thing I like about Shawn Michaels is that he has a very adaptive style. If he needs to brawl, he'll brawl. If he needs to mat wrestle, he'll mat wrestle. If he wrestles against a power guy... well Shawn Michaels isn't a power guy, but he can outmaneuver the big men and adapt to their style.

Many have made points about Shawn Michaels losing more of his show stopping matches than he has won, but those matches are against Undertakers and Kurt Angles, not Robert Roodes. Robert Roode is no where near Shawn's level.

Ferbian likes this.
  22. Tastycles

Tastycles Turn Bayley heel

I genuinely can't tell if people are taking the piss or not. I mean, Coco obviously is, but the rest of you either need to up your comedy or stop being so fucking ******ed. Robert Roode is a nobody. It's all well and good saying Michaels lost a lot of his big matches, and it's true, but Shawn Michaels vs Robert Roode would not be a big match. Randy Savage lost at 4 WrestleManias, but I'd expect him to beat Scotty Too Hotty. You're probably saying "Robert Roode is better than Scotty Too Hotty", but he's won fewer singles titles than him.

He's a tag team wrestler with very few wins at all as a singles wrestler, let alone big wins. His only big singles win is probably against Booker T, a man who ultimately won the feud and has beaten Roode on about 8 billion occasions.

People talk about potential, and that's all well and good, but he's the same age as John Cena and debuted on WWE television in the same year. Way to fulfil that potential, Bobby. You can talk about Primes all you want, Shawn Michaels at any point in his career post 1989 would have beaten Roode at any point in his.

Ferbian and HBK-aholic like this.
  23. The Holy One

The Holy One What's really good?

I find no reason to vote Roode over Michaels. Shawn loses on the big stage more often than not but this is nowhere close to the big stage at all. The Heartbreak Kid doesn't go out in the first round of a tournament to some Tag Team specialist. Now I do like Roode and if this was a Tag Team Tournament rather than a Singles then there could've been an arguement for him. However, he becomes another victim to some Sweet Chin Music after 11 minutes into the match.

24. Ace Sleeper

Ace Sleeper That's some grade 'A' protein!

I have to agree with this.

Robert Roode is a good wrestler, and sure, he has potential if he could ever make it to the big show. The thing is, he hasn't. Shawn Michaels has been there, and done that. Roode hasn't accomplished nearly what HBK has, nor has he faced his caliber.

I guess you can make the argument of Mr. Wrestlemania vs Mr. One Half of Beer Money, and how Roode would win because of potential, but potential doesn't mean shit. Until you use that potential it doesn't mean anything.

Hell, Santino had potential when he made his debut and won the title against Umaga. He could have been the next big thing some people said, but look where he's at.

Until Roode actually does something, his cute little catch phrases and smashing people over the head with beer bottles along with James Storm aren't enough to beat Shawn Michaels out. In no sense of the way. I like Roode, and Beer Money, but if you people actually think he can win against Shawn Michaels, you're crazy.

25. Bernkastel

Bernkastel Reaper of Miracles
    E-Fed Mod

Lulz at Robert Roode's "potential", even Snitsky had potential at one point. Roode's accomplished fuck all in the wrestling business up until this point; he hasn't even held the TNA Championship yet.

If this were a kayfabe match Shawn would always be booked to go over someone like Roode, be it taking place in WWE, TNA, ROH, Japan, wherever. Back in the mid 90's Shawn protrayed the type of douchebag asshole character that people write books about, and unsurprisingly just about every other modern day cocky heel draws heavily from that character.