Phoenix Region, Dallas Subregion: Second Round: (9) Curt Hennig vs. (8) Rey Mysterio

Who Wins This Match

• Curt Hennig

• Rey Mysterio

Results are only viewable after voting.
A dark match is why someone will win in the wrestlezone tournament? Not sure I have ever seen that twisted logic before, so I will give you some props for that, but I hope those that have not voted yet see how that "argument" shows you have a weak position.

No the reason that he will win is because in his prime he would never have been booked to lose against someone like Mysterio. While Mysterio has lost to many upper mid card/main event level wrestlers such as Big Show, Chris Jericho, Kane, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, RVD, Booker T, Hell even Spike Dudley beat him. The video of the Lesnar match was posted only because someone accused me of lying about it.

It is always interesting to see the old school crowd vote as marks for such guys and then "evolve" into smarks when it comes to evaluating current talent. Rey drew more money, won more matches, had a better kayfabe prime and did all this with his size and style. You can argue that Rey could lose any match based on those last two elements, but the fact is that more often than not he won anyway, making such statements questionable to say the least. Maybe if Hennig was a dominating physical presence I could see the case but he wasn't.
Rey drew more money I'll give you that point, but if thats what this tourney is about then why don't we just put Hogan and Austin in the finals. Rey's prime was never anything special seeing as how he lost almost as much as he won not to mention he routinely got his ass kicked by larger wrestlers. During Hennig's prime he Held the AWA title for a year and some change not to mention holding the intercontinental title twice for a total of roughly 13 months and was also undefeated from about 1988 until the Ultimate Warrior defeated him in 1991. His prime was without question better than Mysterio's. Now to address this mambo jumbo about Hennig not being a dominating Physical presence you do realize that during his career he was always booked at 6'3 between 257 and 275 lbs. He was a beast in every sense of the word.

Even if you put Mr. Perfect in this era, Rey is going to be a bigger star than him.
If you put Mysterio into Hennig's prime are do you think he would succeed? I certainly don't. Hennig with all of his charisma and talent could have been a champion in any era.

No the reason that he will win is because in his prime he would never have been booked to lose against someone like Mysterio. While Mysterio has lost to many upper mid card/main event level wrestlers such as Big Show, Chris Jericho, Kane, Jack Swagger, CM Punk, RVD, Booker T, Hell even Spike Dudley beat him. The video of the Lesnar match was posted only because someone accused me of lying about it.
Kevin Nash lost to Rey Mysterio I fail to see why a losing record should matter. Especially when both men have been beaten by as many names as they have scored victories over.

Rey drew more money I'll give you that point, but if thats what this tourney is about then why don't we just put Hogan and Austin in the finals. Rey's prime was never anything special seeing as how he lost almost as much as he won not to mention he routinely got his ass kicked by larger wrestlers.
As opposed to Hennig losing to Bockwinkle, the Gagnes, Hogan and any other guy who was older? Again, losing record, moot point.
During Hennig's prime he Held the AWA title for a year and some change not to mention holding the intercontinental title twice for a total of roughly 13 months and was also undefeated from about 1988 until the Ultimate Warrior defeated him in 1991. His prime was without question better than Mysterio's. Now to address this mambo jumbo about Hennig not being a dominating Physical presence you do realize that during his career he was always booked at 6'3 between 257 and 275 lbs. He was a beast in every sense of the word.
Hm. About the same height and weight as two other great technicians. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. Which as already pointed out, Rey's beaten. Hennig held the AWA title for over a year because there was nobody else. WWF had pouched their talent. Why do you think Jerry Lawler, from all the way in Memphis was the one to end the reign?

If you put Mysterio into Hennig's prime are do you think he would succeed? I certainly don't. Hennig with all of his charisma and talent could have been a champion in any era.
So would Rey. Unlike Hennig, Rey was the centerpiece of one WCW's greatest concepts. The Cruiserweights. The reason he never won the TV or US title is the usual. WCW's reluctance to push the Cruisers. Rey's a champion now, the same way he was back then. He can also be a champion in any given era.

Rey Mysterio has dominated similar styled Wrestlers to Mr. Perfect - including Hennig himself. How the f*ck is he losing here?!

Mysterio has a great record against the likes of Malenko, Benoit, Guerrero & others that are all very similar to Hennig. He's quicker than Hennig, and has the ability to skirm out of almost anything Hennig would try putting him in. So, I ask again - what has the majority of people voting here thinking Hennig could win this?

Oh, and since most people like to vote for who has done more..

Mysterio - 2-time World Champion
Hennig - 0

Pretty sure that sums it up.

Kevin Nash lost to Rey Mysterio I fail to see why a losing record should matter. Especially when both men have been beaten by as many names as they have scored victories over.
Because that's not the case Mysterio has lost far more and to inferior opponents.

As opposed to Hennig losing to Bockwinkle, the Gagnes, Hogan and any other guy who was older? Again, losing record, moot point.
Legend Legend Legend. Some of the greatest names in the business have lost to those guys, so it's really nothing to be ashamed of seeing as how Hennig avenged all of these losses at one point in his career

Hm. About the same height and weight as two other great technicians. Chris Benoit and Kurt Angle. Which as already pointed out, Rey's beaten. Hennig held the AWA title for over a year because there was nobody else. WWF had pouched their talent. Why do you think Jerry Lawler, from all the way in Memphis was the one to end the reign?
Chris Benoit was billed at 5'11 220 lbs while Angle was billed at 6' 240 lbs this is a considerable difference. At the time of Hennig's reign The AWA had Nick Bockwinkel,Scott Hall, Greg Gagne, Jerry Lawler, Larry Zybyzko, Wahoo Mcdaniel, King Kong(Bruiser) Brody. So you say that their was no one there to Be a Champion why pick the young Hennig over these guys. Now if you want to get into discussion of why people held titles we could get into Eddie Guerrero's death or we could talk about How Mysterio was only Champ his second time so that they could set up Kane vs Taker.

So would Rey. Unlike Hennig, Rey was the centerpiece of one WCW's greatest concepts. The Cruiserweights. The reason he never won the TV or US title is the usual. WCW's reluctance to push the Cruisers. Rey's a champion now, the same way he was back then. He can also be a champion in any given era.
Thats bullshit, Rey was not the centerpiece of the cruiser weight division. He was no more important that Juventud and Psychosis were for bringing the Lucha style into the states. IDK if you were watching the same WCW as i was because I remember Jericho, Malenko,Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and Lance Storm all holding the United States title. So dont give me that BS about they wanted to keep the cruiser weights down because those of them who were talented enough got pushed, and those of them who weren't continued to wrestle for the cruiserweight belt. Rey Does not have the charisma or the size to compete in Hennig's prime era.

No doubt this would be an amazing match to witness, with two greats of the business. Curt no doubt is a fanastic wrestler and had charisma, but Rey steals this. Rey has went over similar guys, such as Angle, Benoit, Malenko and Jericho to name a few, all great technicians. Rey is a huge draw, great in the ring, has a huge fanbase, had some of the greatest matches in history to his name, a TWO time world champion, and was part of the revolutionary cruiserweight division. Rey would win this in a tough battle, and Hennig wouldn't lose much by losing to Rey.

I hope people see how ridiculously convoluted your argument is getting and do the right thing and vote for Mysterio.

Rey drew more money I'll give you that point, but if thats what this tourney is about then why don't we just put Hogan and Austin in the finals.

Aren't the people that draw more money the ones who are usually booked to win? A big part of your argument is this odd idea that Mysterio would not be booked over Hennig. If that is the case how is your criteria not putting Austin or Hogan through as well? In fact how is an argument not obviously poor if it depends on a concept that would say Austin and Hogan are not some of the best wrestlers ever at winning matches?

Now to address this mambo jumbo about Hennig not being a dominating Physical presence you do realize that during his career he was always booked at 6'3 between 257 and 275 lbs. He was a beast in every sense of the word.

Not in the sense of the word that pertains to prowrestlers. That is pretty average and Mysterio's career shows that he does not have a real significant disadvantage against normal sized wrestlers. Technicians are not an issue for Rey as people have pointed out. Hennig does not have enough ability to pound Rey hard enough to actually ground the extremely resilient Mysterio.

Hennig with all of his charisma and talent could have been a champion in any era.

Except his own era?

Woahhh, a very tough choice here between two great performers, with one already being in the HOF and the other certain to follow.

Hennig was a fine wrestler, a man who more than deserved a shot at carrying the big belt in either WWE or WCW. He was very technically sound and if he managed to nail the Perfect Plex on Rey Rey, then this one would be over.

However, I am leaning towards Mysterio in this one. In his prime there was no other perfomer quite like him in US professional wrestling. He was streets ahead of all the other cruiserweights in WCW and after his debut in WWE he was performing a similar high standard. Until I saw AJ Styles in TNA's early days, I had never seen a wrestler who excited me more than Mysterio, some of the offense he was producing in WCW was mind-blowing.

Plus, he has the experience of taking on much bigger men that Hennig. Rey is a giant-killer and Mr Perfect is not a giant of professional wrestling. I think that if he can stay out of Hennig's clutches and connect with some high flying, speedy offense to knock Henning out of his comfort zone, I would not be shocked at all to see Mysterio pick up a 3-count with a springboard West Coast Pop

I hope people see how ridiculously convoluted your argument is getting and do the right thing and vote for Mysterio.
I hope people see that you have no argument and are trying to flip my words around smh what a shame.

Aren't the people that draw more money the ones who are usually booked to win? A big part of your argument is this odd idea that Mysterio would not be booked over Hennig. If that is the case how is your criteria not putting Austin or Hogan through as well? In fact how is an argument not obviously poor if it depends on a concept that would say Austin and Hogan are not some of the best wrestlers ever at winning matches?
The people who draw the most money are the ones who win in most cases. That is not the case with Rey Mysterio, as i previously pointed out he's lost countless matches to much lesser opponents. I did not say Austin or Hogan will not go through I said that if the tournament was about the biggest draw ever then we would continue the same debate that we have every couple of months here on WZ who did more for the business Austin or Hogan or which era did more for WWE attitude or rocking wrestling. Thats not what this tournament is about.

Not in the sense of the word that pertains to prowrestlers. That is pretty average and Mysterio's career shows that he does not have a real significant disadvantage against normal sized wrestlers. Technicians are not an issue for Rey as people have pointed out. Hennig does not have enough ability to pound Rey hard enough to actually ground the extremely resilient Mysterio.

Everybody talks about Rey beating these technicians as if they never beat him or something. He lost to Del Rio, Angle, Guerrero, Jericho, Malenko, and Jushin Liger. So saying that because Hennig is a technical wrestler means that Rey can beat him is ridiculous seeing how Rey has lost to just as many technical wrestlers as he has beaten.

Except his own era?

He held the AWA world championship for over a year, your ignorance is starting to get funny at this point.

The people who draw the most money are the ones who win in most cases. That is not the case with Rey Mysterio, as i previously pointed out he's lost countless matches to much lesser opponents. I did not say Austin or Hogan will not go through I said that if the tournament was about the biggest draw ever then we would continue the same debate that we have every couple of months here on WZ who did more for the business Austin or Hogan or which era did more for WWE attitude or rocking wrestling. Thats not what this tournament is about.

I would be quite interested to hear you explain how such a topic would not fall under "any criteria," which is well-documented as what this tournament is about. Aside from creating alts this tournament is about everything. Anyone that pulls that line is just desperately trying to sweep a weakness under the rug.

Everybody talks about Rey beating these technicians as if they never beat him or something. He lost to Del Rio, Angle, Guerrero, Jericho, Malenko, and Jushin Liger. So saying that because Hennig is a technical wrestler means that Rey can beat him is ridiculous seeing how Rey has lost to just as many technical wrestlers as he has beaten.

Are you familiar with what the word can means? Hennig has lost to smaller and quicker opponents as well. Does that make what you are saying about his "dominating" 6'3 presence ridiculous? Also, the majority of those losses you list are well outside of Rey's prime.

Ah yes, that title run was so prestigious at that time that you listed it in the same breath as the IC championship earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back