An analysis: Why Coco lost and Dagger won

Rayne

Sally Section
It's not officially in the bag yet, but I have my doubts that Team Coco has held a large reserve of voters for the final minutes of the poll in a political maneuver designed to take advantage of the public polling results. I'll be the commentator that risks a "DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN" moment by declaring that Dagger will win the 1st WrestleZone Forums Election.

For the purposes of this post, I'm going to generalize. I might say "Coco" or "Dagger" when I mean "a majority of the people campaigning for" either party. It's shorthand, I simply don't want to have to specify and exclude based on who says what. So unless I deliberately specify who I'm talking about, when I say one person, assume I am referring to their "get out the vote" operation.

For the record, I have no strong opinions towards any candidate. I think I might have gotten rep from each of them at some point, I dunno. That's about it.

There are three main reasons why Coco lost and Dagger won. I say "why Coco lost", because this was truly his election to lose. His position with a week left until the polls was enviable; the discussion was mostly about how much he'd beat Crock by. Here we are a week later, and Dagger now has a plurality over the other candidates. What happened?

1) Coco misunderstood the nature of this election.

The fatal flaw in the "get out the vote" operations of Coco and Crock were that they treated this as an exercise in high school civics. They treated this election as if it would be the result of carefully thought out deliberation by informed posters having read the debates. The debates were just window dressing. This was not a competition to see who would be the best moderator; this was a competition to see how many people you could get to click a radio button next to your name. In that sense, Team Coco's approach was horribly inadequate to the task at hand. The discussion centered on why Dagger would be a bad moderator, and why we needed Coco as a spam moderator- not on what was in it for the people if they clicked the button.

This was the main flaw of the Coco/Crock campaign, the failure to focus on the actual goal of the election, while worrying about the things they erroneously thought were important to that goal. There's all this talk about "dignity"; if you didn't want to win an election, why would you get involved? I'm hard pressed to think of any dignified election in recent memory, why would this one be different?

2) Dagger understood the nature of this election.

One of the most frequent complaints I'm reading about Dagger's win is that "he only won because he promised rep", or "he only won because he PM"d people". There is no excuse for this kind of ignorant thinking, because this strategy was explicitly spelled out in the bylaws of this election. He took those bylaws and formed a strategy designed to win the competition, which was to get as many people to click your button as possible.

I cannot emphasize this enough. If the goal of the competition was to prove who the best moderator would be, we wouldn't have had every possible schmuck on the boards vote for it. Seriously, if I'm looking for a broad array of intelligent, well thought out and convincing opinions, these boards are the last place I go. The prize was to become a moderator (still don't know how the hell that's a reward), but the goal of the competition was not to determine who the best moderator would be. That was merely the criteria some people used to determine which button to click.

Dagger won this election because he understood it was about clicking buttons. All of this debate business was just window dressing.

3) Coco's supporters alienated the remaining voter base.

The final, fatal move of Team Coco came when Dagger started catching up in the polls. They could have called for a counterattack; started a PM campaign the second they suspected Dagger of it, started that rep thread before most of the votes were sent out, but instead they started attacking other forum users. The same dozen people would scream about how anyone who voted for Dagger was an idiot, Dagger was a homophobe, and as several people stated, it was an attitude of sympathy engendered from the attacks on Dagger that caused them to vote for him.

This isn't Tammany Hall politics of the 19th century, boys. You aren't going to club heads outside of the polls if someone didn't vote for your guy. Instead, you came off as bitchy and self-righteous without a good cause. Instead of promoting Coco, you attacked Dagger, and were going after anyone else who supported him. How is that an effective strategy to get people to click your button? A poster- I forget who, and I'm too tired right now to go hunt down and search it out- said something to the effect of "The reason votes are private in this poll are so that you folks can't move from attacking Dagger to attacking the people that voted for him." Sagely put.

I confess, I almost broke my vow not to vote just so I could say I voted for Dagger to piss you off. Oh noes, what were people going to do, send a picture of shit to me in my rep? I see shit at least once a day, it doesn't offend me anymore. Which, as long as we're on the topic, was another foolish move of the Coco camp, but part of the same line of attack. How is "vote for our guy or we're going to be really annoying" an effective campaign strategy?

Finally, they drove the nail into their own coffins. The "RIP Wrestlezone Forums" signatures were not only defeatist but hilariously over the top. Yes, one more mod you disagree with on an already bloated mod staff is going to completely ruin the boards for eternity. Because they're so great now. Those screamed to me, "we have given up, and will not attempt to counter Dagger's move through the polls we held so sacred, but will instead be angsty and bitchy for months."

There you have it. I definitely enjoyed watching dozens of people get their panties spun up over who gets to be rewarded with the responsibility to listen to people insult their manhood over their "lolz tna sucks" post being removed. If there's one thing I am still not able to get over, it's that people seem to think being a moderator is a reward and not a chore. It will be fun watching the residual grudges play out over the next few months.

We like our honor. That's why we didn't PM for votes. We thought people would be smart enough to know better. They weren't.

I think more or less the issue is, even though it was advertised and encouraged, nobody expected that Dagger and co were going to start going on a major PM rally in the last throngs of the election. Before anybody was aware what was happening it was already too late. I even tried to PM around 15-20 people before I simply got bored and gave in accepting defeat knowing only about 5 of the people I would PM would respond positively.

God only knows how many people they must have been around to get that many votes. But as they say, he played the game. He won the election, What comes next is the more difficult part. I would be surprised if we see another election in this exact format again though. But yeah, that bolded bit.

1) Coco misunderstood the nature of this election.

The fatal flaw in the "get out the vote" operations of Coco and Crock were that they treated this as an exercise in high school civics. They treated this election as if it would be the result of carefully thought out deliberation by informed posters having read the debates.

You don't know Coco.

Why didn't people expect this to happen?

You guys are like the people who think Modern Warfare 3 release day is going to be a peaceful, civilized event.

Dagger has been known to post out in the non-spam areas more than Crock/Coco, so the casual poster on WZ who doesn't visit the spam areas aren't going to vote for people they don't know. A lot of people won't get Coco's humour and Crock isn't as productive as Dagger.

People that say I don't know Coco, DIDN'T READ THE DISCLAIMER AT THE TOP OF MY ORIGINAL POST.
Rayne said:
For the purposes of this post, I'm going to generalize. I might say "Coco" or "Dagger" when I mean "a majority of the people campaigning for" either party. It's shorthand, I simply don't want to have to specify and exclude based on who says what. So unless I deliberately specify who I'm talking about, when I say one person, assume I am referring to their "get out the vote" operation.
I don't know Coco, you're right. I do know that some of his supporters apparently have a very difficult time reading and comprehending an entire post. I covered that in my analysis. I'm not surprised someone here finds it too long for their tastes; I don't write for the bottom 50%.

And Sly, you're right, I did enjoy this after all. They look like ants from up here.

I like this douchebag Rayne.

His character has really gone over as an obnoxious tweener.

I've gotten used to the fact that there are people in the world who get frightened at the idea of reading more than a paragraph. I don't write for your sake.
This response was more entertaining than your whole opening post.

This response was more entertaining than your whole opening post.
You're assuming my goal was to entertain you, or even my desire. And by the way, I thought you were trying to pretend you didn't read it, because not reading long things and saying so is supposed to be cool?

What people seem to overlook is the type of persons this forum consists of. Let's face it: the majority of pro-wrestling fans aren't the most popular folks in the world. When you're unpopular, you tend to think of yourself as an "underdog" and you tend to back "underdogs" in all facets of life.

During this election, Dagger was CLEARLY an underdog. The guy took more abuse than ANYONE I had ever seen in my three years of being here. Whether he lobbied for his votes, earned them outright, PM'ed others for them, or spread reputation, any normal person who's unfamiliar with the personalities that fill WZF and who saw the 234,087 threads bashing Dagger during this election were probably turned off by the other candidates and backed the underdog.

You'll have to forgive me for not being interested in your incredibly intellectual analysis. That I only skimmed a dry, 1,000+ word analysis of a moderator election which could probably be summarised in a couple of sentences makes me positively inhuman. Me and the rest of the bottom 50% are off to read shoe sizes, limericks, the titles of plays and other things of agreeable length.

Reactions: gd
You'll have to forgive me for not being interested in your incredibly intellectual analysis. That I only skimmed a dry, 1,000+ word analysis of a moderator election which could probably be summarised in a couple of sentences makes me positively inhuman. Me and the rest of the bottom 50% are off to read shoe sizes, limericks, the titles of plays and other things of agreeable length.
Long story short: Your post sucked.

Now there's something everyone can read!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back