ADR Not Expected to Return to WWE; Possibly TNA Bound?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
With Alberto Del Rio having an out in his contract next month, there has been a lot of speculation on Paige possibly leaving the company if he chooses to. Paige is under a WWE contract until April of 2019. She could choose to leave WWE, but like others in the past, she wouldn’t be able to work anywhere until the contract ended as she would have a non-compete clause.

It is noted that most do not expect Del Rio back with the company.

The Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer also said that he would not be surprised if TNA tried to spend big and bring Del Rio in if and when he leaves. They did make a play for him prior to his WWE return.

http://www.pwmania.com/alberto-del-...h-wwe-backstage-news-if-paige-will-also-leave

--

I've made my feelings about ADR quite clear over the years. Especially when TNA went after him before he returned to WWE. He's as exciting as dissecting water. I personally hope they miss out again or don't even bother this time around. Considering the whole reason he didn't sign in the first place (money), here's to hoping they aren't willing to meet his dollar value again. He's assuredly not worth it.

I agree. Del Rio is a solid worker but I don't think I ever felt invested in him in any way. And once they got rid of Ricardo Rodriguez for good I just didn't care at all. And his return last year was almost immediately botched. The whole League of Nations angle was just poorly booked for day one. At least Rusev was able to course correct afterwards but I dunno if ADR would have ever gotten back on the right track. It honestly is probably for the best if he left. He can go to TNA if he wants, I don't watch anyway lol

I think Del Rio went back to WWE expecting to be treated like a big star, and it started decently enough with a clean win over Cena for the US title, but it was all downhill from there.

I personally expect him to go back to what he was doing when he was originally let go from WWE and that is working in AAA while taking the occasional indy appearance. He did solid work in AAA as a returning hero and had a fairly compelling feud with Brian Cage. I also hold out some hope that he may return to Lucha Underground, as his character there was decent and he had a solid feud with Johnny Mundo to end season one.

TNA would still allow him to work indy dates, but I don't see Del Rio working as a top star anywhere outside of Mexico.

ADR doesn't even sound all that interested in working for TNA. He doesn't seem to be a big fan of how they run things around there. The only way I even see him going over there is if they offer him so much money that they feel obligated to push him at a Sting/Angle/Lashley/Hardy Boys level. And if TNA is smart they'd recognize that he isn't worth that kind of payday to them. Hell Lashley and the Hardys barely earn the amount of money and recognition they receive. Of course that's just my opinion. Maybe there is a large enough chunk of the wrestling audience clamoring for ADR to be put in that type of position (a franchise player if you will) to be worth TNA's time and effort to sign him. But I highly doubt it. Maybe he'll return to LU. If there's one program ADR has ever worked that earned money, it's with Rey Mysterio. And that credit goes to Rey IMO.

ADR is all about the money and even if he's mad a out what going on with is lack of push in wwe and the fact that they split him up from paige after the draft, I doubt that he will leave wwe until his contract is up since he seem like I will need the money to pay for his divorce or something concerning his wife or ex wife since it seem like a very complicated story. So if he decide to leave wwe, then tna would have to match his wwe deal for him to even consider going to tna.

Can't say that I've ever been a fan of ADR. No knock on his in ring ability whatsoever. He's just a guy that's just kinda there, you know? I don't know if he'd entertain the thought of coming to TNA, regardless of the money. He did OK with his brief run in ROH, but like its been stated, that was only to help elevate Jay Lethal when he was TV champ. Right now I see him going back to Mexico or Puerto Rico.

With Alberto Del Rio, WWE just took a cash cow and flushed it down the drain. They NEED a top Hispanic star to draw money in the Latino and Hispanic markets, who generally respond hugely only to Hispanic and Latino stars. Del Rio is easily in the top 5 Hispanic workers of all time, and WWE could have printed their own money with him. He came back and immediately pinned John Cena CLEAN in the middle of the ring, so naturally the thing to do would have been push Del Rio as a main event level heel. Instead, they stuck him in a faction that was squashed by Roman Reigns literally on their first night, then spent the next three months have Del Rio get squashed by a worthless nobody like Kalisto. After the split of the LoN, WWE had one last chance to make Del Rio matter, and chose to continue jobbing him out. Then comes the Draft, where Del Rio, one of WWE's best workers, gets drafted TWENTY-NINTH. An absolute insult, and proof of the way WWE viewed ADR. The last straw was probably the first SmackDown after the Draft, where Baron Corbin automatically qualified for the #1 Contender Match, but Del Rio was stuck in a Battle Royal qualifier. WWE outright stated that they view BARON CORBIN as more important than Alberto Del Rio. That's absolute insanity. Nobody can blame ADR if he leaves. He's a megastar and gets treated like a jobber. The problem is that there's no other wrestling organization that matters. So anywhere Del Rio goes, it's a devaluing of his personal brand. More likely than not, Del Rio will leave, go compete in some shit promotion like Lucha Underground or TNA for a while, and will be back in WWE by 2018. There's noplace else that can pay the money a star like ADR demands for long, and give him the worldwide attention he wants.

ADR is NOT a megastar. Megastars can elevate those around them. ADR has never done that. The closest he ever came to elevating another star to his level was Jack Swagger, and I believe the bulk of the credit in that program goes to Zeb Coulter. Had Swagger wrestled Rey Mysterio for the World title at WM29 the angle would have been twice as hot. Instead he wrestled ADR and noone cared nearly as much because the whole program was a transparent attempt at getting ADR over more as a face which noone was really that interested in. Within a few weeks of that match WWE was forced to pivot and execute a double turn with ADR and Ziggler while Swagger was pushed down to the tag team division. And this all happened because WWE was adamant at trying to make ADR a huge Latino Babyface which nobody wanted. Frankly it was a mistake to ever let ADR walk into Mania as champion. It was a bigger mistake to let him walk out still the champion.

ADR is a much bigger star than Rey Mysterio ever was. He was terrible as a face, nobody is denying that, but he was a tremendous heel. And in the ring, Del Rio could wrestle circles around Mysterio any night of the week. Mysterio being pushed to the main event was a mistake and a failure. Del Rio was pushed to the main event too fast and that hurt him, but he definitely deserved to get there, unlike Mysterio.

Uh, what? Alberto Del Rio was never near Rey Mysterio's level. Mysterio might have been badly booked for the latter half of his career, particularly his main event years, but prior to that he was a SmackDown staple for many years and a top 3 babyface on the brand.

Mysterio worked and feuded with names like Kurt Angle, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Edge, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, CM Punk, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero, Kane, the Big Show, and countless others for over a decade. He held tag titles with multiple hall of famers, held the World title multiple times, won a championship match at a Wrestlemania, won and had one of the most impressive Royal Rumble performances in history of the event and that's just his WWE career.

Alberto Del Rio was hot shotted to the top in Mysterio's declining years because they needed a Hispanic star. He beat John Cena for the title for a forgetable, meaningless and transitional title reign and spent years in programs with guys like Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Big Show, and lost to Edge at Wrestlemania, and then Christian. He floated for years, transitioning between heel and face because excelled at neither, and never moved merchandise either way like Guerrero or Mysterio, two hispanic superstars before him.

In the grand scheme of things, Del Rio had a decent career, but a Mysterio-like career he did not.

ADR is a much bigger star than Rey Mysterio ever was. He was terrible as a face, nobody is denying that, but he was a tremendous heel. And in the ring, Del Rio could wrestle circles around Mysterio any night of the week. Mysterio being pushed to the main event was a mistake and a failure. Del Rio was pushed to the main event too fast and that hurt him, but he definitely deserved to get there, unlike Mysterio.
Not in this or any other lifetime. Del Rio might be bigger in Mexico, but Mysterio brought in MONEY. How many ADR shirts do you think have been sold in his career? It was far less than the sales figures of Rey's masks, that I can tell you. I do agree that VKM dropped the ball big time on ADR. Problem was that he just never really clicked with the audience. Maybe if he came as El Hijo de Dos Caras, and wrestled in the Luchador style, he would have been as big as Mysterio. In the end, ADR should NEVER have left AAA and LU. He was doing fabulously in companies that celebrated the Lucha style. When he gets the last of his downside, he will fight off his Divorce war, and then go back to Mexico.

Del Rio is your typical mid-carder4life who WWE tried to push as their next big thing but failed just like Sheamus, Miz, Ziggler, Swagger and most of the current roster who mostly look like mid-carders or jobbers.

TNA is not in any need of him and he would be boring just like in WWE.

Uh, what? Alberto Del Rio was never near Rey Mysterio's level. Mysterio might have been badly booked for the latter half of his career, particularly his main event years, but prior to that he was a SmackDown staple for many years and a top 3 babyface on the brand.

Mysterio worked and feuded with names like Kurt Angle, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Edge, Chris Jericho, Shawn Michaels, the Undertaker, CM Punk, John Cena, Batista, Randy Orton, Eddie Guerrero, Kane, the Big Show, and countless others for over a decade. He held tag titles with multiple hall of famers, held the World title multiple times, won a championship match at a Wrestlemania, won and had one of the most impressive Royal Rumble performances in history of the event and that's just his WWE career.

Alberto Del Rio was hot shotted to the top in Mysterio's declining years because they needed a Hispanic star. He beat John Cena for the title for a forgetable, meaningless and transitional title reign and spent years in programs with guys like Sheamus, Jack Swagger, Big Show, and lost to Edge at Wrestlemania, and then Christian. He floated for years, transitioning between heel and face because excelled at neither, and never moved merchandise either way like Guerrero or Mysterio, two hispanic superstars before him.

In the grand scheme of things, Del Rio had a decent career, but a Mysterio-like career he did not.

Mysterio had a career where he was pushed to the top against fans' wishes as a replacement for the infinitely more talented Eddie Guerrero, to the point where he was booed out of the building at WrestleMania 22, and subsequently received huge boos in every non-Hispanic market throughout his title run. His second World Heavyweight Championship win got a lukewarm reaction, as did his WWE Championship win. Mysterio was NEVER over at a main event level. He was only over with little kids. Mysterio also couldn't work for a few months at a time without getting hurt. He was sloppy and extremely injury-prone.

Alberto Del Rio is a superior wrestler, superior talker, and a superior performer in every possible way. His only real weakness is that he was terrible at playing a babyface character, so he'd never be a major merchandise mover or be over with little kids.

Years from now, Mysterio will be remembered as a midcard guy that was experimented with as a main eventer, and the experiment failed. Alberto Del Rio will be remembered as a fantastic main event heel that WWE sabotaged.

Mysterio had a career where he was pushed to the top against fans' wishes as a replacement for the infinitely more talented Eddie Guerrero, to the point where he was booed out of the building at WrestleMania 22, and subsequently received huge boos in every non-Hispanic market throughout his title run. His second World Heavyweight Championship win got a lukewarm reaction, as did his WWE Championship win. Mysterio was NEVER over at a main event level. He was only over with little kids. Mysterio also couldn't work for a few months at a time without getting hurt. He was sloppy and extremely injury-prone.

Alberto Del Rio is a superior wrestler, superior talker, and a superior performer in every possible way. His only real weakness is that he was terrible at playing a babyface character, so he'd never be a major merchandise mover or be over with little kids.

Years from now, Mysterio will be remembered as a midcard guy that was experimented with as a main eventer, and the experiment failed. Alberto Del Rio will be remembered as a fantastic main event heel that WWE sabotaged.

Mysterio World title run failed because right after winning the title he kept jobbing to everyone in the roster.

Based on actual metrics such as merchandise sales and ratings Mysterio should have been in the main event level. There was a point he was #2 on merchandise behind only to Cena.

So going back to your statement Mysterio is the one whose main event run was sabotaged while Del Rio was put in a unfortunate series of circumstances that killed the heat he had during late 2010 and early 2011.

I'm actually really enjoying TNA at the moment and I think ADR joining the roster would quickly turn me off the product again. The roster is currently full of great Tallent that I enjoy like, EC3, Drew Galloway, Mike Bennett, Eddie Edwards, Moose Etc, and I'm afraid that if Del Rio was to join he would end up taking one of there places and that should in no way happen. Plus TNA also just signed Aaron rex(Damien Sandow) who is hands down a far better acquisition.

I don't think that is a great move for TNA by signing ADR unless ADR brings in his friend Rey Mysterio Jr and his manager Jose Rodriguez as a package deal similar to when Hogan bought Ric Flair into TNA back 5 years ago that can help and only if that happens other than ADR is boring to watch and he should not have went to wwe in the first place since they screwed him over not once but twice. He needs to further improve his in ring technical skills

I'd like to see ADR in TNA because they'll take some risks with his character, something WWE was never willing to do.

He got insanely over in the indies as El Patron, and then basically went back to the Mexican aristocrat thing that no one ever cared about, just without the cars.

ADR can wrestle. He's very talented, but he hasn't found a character to connect with fans. TNA has been doing interesting and offbeat stuff with the Hardys. Lashley has been a great character as of late, and he was pretty boring in WWE.

I'm sold, but only if they take some risks and try a more interesting character. If he comes in as his WWE character, why bother? He's not going to be a draw by name only. They should embrace his MMA backgorund and work on giving his character some more edge.

Bringing in Ricardo Rodriguez would be fun. Maybe they could go after the tag titles with Ricardo as El Local? ADR and El Local vs Hardys? Could be good.

You need a game changer, if you plan on throwing big money at someone and rolling out the red carpet, and Alberto Del Rio is not a game changer. Del Rio is reliable for solid matches, but his name value is middle-of-the-road at best, and if TNA wants to pay top dollar for Del Rio, fast-tracking Del Rio into big feuds and a possible world title is almost a guarantee. It's one thing if Del Rio's promo work and his matches warrant a big push, but if that's not the case, you're just forcing something that's not going to catch on. At best, I can see Del Rio working as a solid addition to the roster, but pushing him as a superstar? I just can't see it working out.

ADR in TNA would make about the same impact as Booker T. Except Booker T was able to keep his name recognition. You'd be surprised how easily some people can get confused by a name change.

ADR would do much better going back to LU. It just makes the most sense. Large Hispanic demo, smaller pond, and it's reputation hasn't been completely devalued like TNA's.

I would however love to see ADR in TNA if he got in the ring and "took liberties" with Matt Hardy. First time I'd ever pay money to watch TNA.

In a fantasy world of mine, Alberto El Patrón would debut in TNA in a match against James Storm at Bound For Glory. Probably less than a week after leaving WWE. That would make an Impact, and it could fuel this whole Storm/Corgan rivalry I guess. I don't know why but I feel like those two would click in the ring. It's probably the match I would be most intrigued to see regarding Alberto.

But it's not happening. I could easily see him signing with ROH or AAA or CMLL before coming to TNA. I don't know but the company needs to show the industry that they are in a healthy state, and with the changes in leadership and what not, it's just not happening. Maybe in a year.

You need a game changer, if you plan on throwing big money at someone and rolling out the red carpet, and Alberto Del Rio is not a game changer.

From what I've read Del Rio is actually a really good face of course WWE did turn Del Rio face once but WWE gave him the wrong character to work with (the Mexican immigrant angle lol). Maybe Del Rio could have a great resurgence in TNA if the work with Del Rio's strengths.

ADR isn't comparable to Rey Mysterio. Rey is arguably the greatest cruiserweight in history. Yes.. in HISTORY.

ADR isn't comparable to Rey Mysterio. Rey is arguably the greatest cruiserweight in history. Yes.. in HISTORY.

And not a main event talent. Alberto Del Rio is a MAIN EVENT TALENT. It's Rey who isn't in his league, not the other way around.

And not a main event talent. Alberto Del Rio is a MAIN EVENT TALENT. It's Rey who isn't in his league, not the other way around.

That is absolutely laughable. Just because Rey is a cruiserweight and Del Rio isn't doesn't mean Del Rio is the better main event talent. By that logic, Del Rio is also in a league above Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, and Daniel Bryan.

Frankly, neither Rey OR Del Rio ever had a truly successful World Championship run. Transitional champions, the both of them. But Rey could actually draw. No matter where he wrestled on the card, Rey drew money. People barely cared about Del Rio, even if he was in a World title main event. Mysterio was regularly a highlight on any card he wrestled,in any angle, against anyone on the roster. The same cannot be said about Del Rio. In fact, I can only remember one program he ever worked outside the title picture in which audiences showed any investment.

That program was against Rey Mysterio.

That is absolutely laughable. Just because Rey is a cruiserweight and Del Rio isn't doesn't mean Del Rio is the better main event talent. By that logic, Del Rio is also in a league above Eddie Guerrero, Chris Jericho, and Daniel Bryan.

Frankly, neither Rey OR Del Rio ever had a truly successful World Championship run. Transitional champions, the both of them. But Rey could actually draw. No matter where he wrestled on the card, Rey drew money. People barely cared about Del Rio, even if he was in a World title main event. Mysterio was regularly a highlight on any card he wrestled,in any angle, against anyone on the roster. The same cannot be said about Del Rio. In fact, I can only remember one program he ever worked outside the title picture in which audiences showed any investment.

That program was against Rey Mysterio.

1 - It has nothing to do with being a Cruiserweight. The fact that Rey Mysterio, a babyface challenger, was BOOED OUT OF THE RING for winning the title, while even Del Rio's mediocre face run had a much better reaction, is why ADR was a superior main event talent.

2 - That's an opinion, not a fact. For me, Del Rio was always a treat to watch. He's one of the most gifted wrestlers on the planet, and I'd take his worst match over Mysterio's best any day of the week. I can't remember one truly GREAT match Rey Mysterio ever had, but I can remember plenty for Del Rio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back