• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WZHL Fantasy Hockey 2013/2014 Season

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
Hockey season doesn't kick off until Oct. 1st, but I figured I'd renew the league & send out all the invites now instead of forgetting & rushing to try & throw everything together at the last minute. I figure this should give everyone from last year more than enough time to accept, or if they decide they don't really wanna do it again this year, then they can let me know & we can find someone else to take over their spot. Once all 10 teams are locked up we'll schedule a draft, probably for toward the end of Sept.

Invites have been sent to all ten participants of last years league already.

I know this isn't an application thread but if you need someone to take a spot if there's people not returning I'd love to. Just throwing that out there now.

Well, I haven't received my invitation yet, but I definitely am interested in participating in the WZHL fantasy hockey pool again this season. Unfinished business from last year :)

43655-carlton-dancing-gif-8Bku.gif

Well, I haven't received my invitation yet, but I definitely am interested in participating in the WZHL fantasy hockey pool again this season. Unfinished business from last year :)

It says it was sent, I remember having problem try to get you your invite last year, & having to go through several different e-mails accounts before you finally got it. I have to get to work right now, when I get home tonight I'll look into it further & hopefully get it sorted.

It says it was sent, I remember having problem try to get you your invite last year, & having to go through several different e-mails accounts before you finally got it. I have to get to work right now, when I get home tonight I'll look into it further & hopefully get it sorted.

I didn't get it either. Did it send to an AOL or a Yahoo email for me?

If you guys didn't get the invite, just visit the Yahoo Fantasy hockey page and accept it from there.

Thanks for the info, and my invitation has been accepted. Be on alert, guys, I came third last year and I had no idea what the hell I was doing on draft day last time as it was my first shot at fantasy sports. This season is mine.

Thanks for the info, and my invitation has been accepted. Be on alert, guys, I came third last year and I had no idea what the hell I was doing on draft day last time as it was my first shot at fantasy sports. This season is mine.

Fantasy logic states that now that you know what you're doing, you're probably going to do a lot worse.

Fantasy logic states that now that you know what you're doing, you're probably going to do a lot worse.

Yeah, you're probably right unfortunately. Although by that logic, I should be an absolute lock to win the fantasy football league.

Who are we still waiting to hear from? IC, Ty, Yaz, Lowdown, who am I forgetting?

THE CHAMP...IS HERE!!!

I was half tempted to put a cap on the number of goalies so that you can't hoard 5 or 6 of them on your bench again this year;)

So far the only change made is I changed the number of bench spots, it was set at 5, I changed it to 6 (which I thought I had it set at last year). That is likely the only change I'll be making unless anyone has any other changes they'd like to bring up.

6 invites have now been excepted, leaving us waiting to hear about 4 (Ty, Lowdown, nightmare, & Yaz)

I like the addition of the extra bench spot. You never know, IC may want to carry six goalies on his roster this season.

With a full season rather than a lockout-shortened one, the extra bench spot will come in handy. As far as I'm concerned there aren't any other changes necessary, the pool was perfect last season just as it was.

After IC's winning formula last year, I have a feeling that goaltenders are going to be at a premium in this league. I'm guessing that the top 10 goaltenders will be gone by the end of round 3, and by the end of round 5 I don't think there will be any starters left.

I'm interested to see how this year compares to last. I can't remember if I said this or not, but I think one of the reasons last year's league was so great is because of the shortened season. For regular hockey that sucked hardcore, but for fantasy hockey it was great. Having to set your roster for 26 weeks can wear on you, especially if you're losing more often than not.

That said, I'm optimistic that we can keep up a high level of enthusiasm and participation throughout the year. This is a league that's not just full of hockey fans, but full of dedicated hockey fans, and I think the majority of us count it as our favorite sport. We're all in it for the long hall, and keeping tabs on our fantasy team is just another excuse to spend more time looking at hockey stats and comparing numbers.

I would also like to suggest possibly expanding the league to 12 teams. 10 was a great number, but I think we'd all love to see the recently returned LSN join up, and I don't doubt there's another avid hockey fan on the forums who'd love to join in the fun.

and I don't doubt there's another avid hockey fan on the forums who'd love to join in the fun.

I already volunteered if need be to fill in for anyone who isn't returning. Having lived in Canada for three years before Pittsburgh I can say I went from fan to super dedicated fan. So if it does move to 12 or there's extra room for me I'd absolutely love the opportunity.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see LSN and someone else (I'm looking at you Macios) join in the WZHL, but if my math is correct, adding an extra bench position, plus two additional members in the pool, subtracts 48 NHL players from the list of free agents available to use to tinker with your lineup. Personally, I think this dilutes the league too much. All due respect to the two potential new members of the league, but I think 10 is the number. It worked perfectly with NHL last season. It has been working really well with MLB thus far. I think it will be great as the NFL kicks off next week. And it should be a great number once JGlass gets that NBA fantasy pool set up for us as well.

I have no concerns about maintaining interest for a full season as opposed to the lockout-shortened season. All of the players were pretty committed last season and let's face it, it only takes a couple of minutes each day to tinker with your lineup. It seems to me that everyone has been keeping active in the MLB pool, and that season takes an eternity to play out.

I wonder about the strategy regarding goaltenders this season. I wondered last year if IC's strategy of hoarding goaltenders would be effective over a full length season as opposed to an abbreviated one. I'm not so sure that carrying too many goalies for 80+ games may affect your offensive production in the long run. Should be interesting to see although personally, I don't see my goaltending strategy (or any other strategy for that matter) changing too much this season as opposed to last.

I run a 12-team league every year. It's the maximum you can go without crippling free agency. If we're adding two more, fine, but if it goes beyond that, I'm out. I've been in 14-team leagues before and they are horrible. When a guy like Lee Stempniak gets drafted, period, your league sucks.

I have no interest in expanding the league to 12 teams, 10 seems to be perfect. I think he had a discussion about this towards end of last season.

LSN gets first dibs if there's an empty spot, he asked about it months ago (during last years playoffs I think) if someone from last year drops out he gets the spot if he wants it, Macios is second on that list.

Sit down kids. Daddy is home.

I am getting pumped. This season is going to be bad ass.

I agree with JGlass on the goaltender situation. That will be key. As well as defenders being again crucial to rotation and picking up some much needed points. Those younger players that just did not hit their stride last year on the ice should come in to play this year, making the FA pool play out nicely later in the season.

Also I expect everyone here to have stepped up their game and thus making it a very exciting season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back