WWE Survivor Series 2011 - Team Orton vs Team Barrett

No Hype

Dark Match Jobber
20111114_sseries_10man_0.jpg

Announced exclusively on WWE.com, WWE’s second longest-running pay-per-view event will feature one of its signature bouts when Team Orton takes on Team Barrett inside the World’s Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden, on Sunday, Nov. 20.

Orton will lead Sheamus, Mason Ryan, WWE Tag Team Champion Kofi Kingston and Sin Cara into battle, while Barrett brings Intercontinental Champion Cody Rhodes, Jack Swagger, Hunico and United States Champion Dolph Ziggler, who replaced an injured Christian.

The bout harkens back to last year’s Survivor Series showdown between Orton and Barrett, when The Viper defeated Barrett in a brutal contest to retain his WWE Championship - even though doing so temporarily forced John Cena out of WWE.

Since then, outside of a three-month reign as Intercontinental Champion in 2011, Barrett has been looking for his chance to shine. WWE’s fall classic could be the very opportunity he has been waiting for. Clearly, Barrett knows how to lead. As head of the renegade group Nexus (formed in 2010), he orchestrated countless, brutal attacks on a host of Superstars. When things broke down within Nexus, Barrett found a new role within The Corre in early 2011. Although its members denied they had any leader, clearly Barrett was the driving force behind the group's actions before it disbanded. Then, when a slew of Superstars expressed their grievances about how Triple H was managing Raw last month, it was Barrett who was elected to speak first on the night they all walked out on Raw.

However, Barrett has his work cut out for him if he thinks his team can simply overcome those guided by WWE’s Apex Predator, who also has shown he has what it takes to lead.

As head of The Legacy, The Viper guided and brought Ted DiBiase and Cody Rhodes into prominence in WWE. Now bitter rivals – with recent cutthroat matches – Rhodes and Orton will certainly be looking to lock horns in the ring at Survivor Series.

Perhaps even more valuable than his leadership skills, Orton brings direct Survivor Series experience to the table. The Viper led a Survivor Series team to victory in 2004, and competed on winning teams in 2003 and 2005. Furthermore, even though his team lost in 2009 when The Viper was pinned by Kingston, he now has Kofi as part of his arsenal when he goes to war this time.

In addition to Kingston, Orton brings more weaponry to the fight with the ruthless Sheamus, powerhouse Mason Ryan and the high-flying Sin Cara.

On the other side of the battle line, Barrett brings the confidence of the Intercontinental Champion, the impressive skills of the United States Champion, the tenacity of former World Champion Jack Swagger and a high-flyer of his own in Hunico.

Gaining significant momentum for his team, Barrett scored a huge win over The Viper on the Nov. 11 edition of SmackDown. Is it a sign of things to come?

So a Traditional Survivor Series match has been announced

My big question is why Barrett is the Team Captain opposing Orton, shouldn't it be Rhodes?

Also general discussion thread

The teams are:
Randy Orton, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston, and Mason Ryan
vs
Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Christian, Hunico, and Jack Swagger

When you said team Barrett and asked shouldnt it be Rhodes, i thought Rhodes isnt in the match, then i clicked the link and saw that he is. Doesnt really make sense but i gues its just another part of Barretts big push recently (the Barrett Barrage).

Team Orton is looking a little weak though. Shame Bourne is suspended coz having Kingston without him really doesnt make much sense. Also, instead of Mason Ryan, someone like DiBiase or A-Ry would have been better as they have some history with the other team. I understand Ziggler and Ryder will probably have a match for the US title so they cant be included but they would have given a lot more depth to the match.

And as for the 2 Sin Cara's, Mehh....

I agree. I don’t think Wade Barrett should be leading this team, although on the WWE.com, they give a pretty good explanation as to why he was chosen to be the Captain of "Evil". If anything, I think the teams (let's go back to Survivor Series Team names, please) should have been:

The Vipers – Randy Orton, Zack Ryder, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne (damn suspension!!)
vs.
Vickie's Vices – Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Jack Swagger, and Wade Barrett

This leaves Mason Ryan, Sin Cara and Hunico out. I’d rather see Mason Ryan face Brodus Clay and Sin Cara face Hunico in singles bouts. I’d even have Hunico pick up the victory setting up a rubber match.

If Ziggler and Ryder are having a United States Title match, then why not have an Intercontinental Title match with Rhodes and Orton??

team barret? in the words of the miz, really? really?
when i first read that it was team barret, i thought someone just messed up and was supposed to write rhodes. that makes literally no sense.
it would also make more sense if it were team christian vs team sheamus. or even team orton vs team christian would make some sense.

and since they crossed brands with this one match, i don't see how they could have another 5 on 5 match, and if there is only one traditional survivor series match, that's dissapointing

I think they put Barrett as team captain because of his recent push he's been getting on SD (Barrett Barrage) WWE might be doing this in order to put Barrett over and because he's the leader character with Nexus and all. However I am confused to why they made him captain over Rhodes. He's on fire at the moment despite his losing streak as of recent. I really hope this isn't an indicator that WWE is dropping the Rhodes/Orton feud. I'm really confused by some of the other decisions WWE has made in this match. I was confused to why they've put Hunico in this match. I had no idea who he was on the match card and his feud with Sin Cara has to be one of the worst this year. Secondly where is Ziggler and Ryder. The only reason I can justify why they aren't in the match is because they are being booked in a US title match but still Ziggler is another great heel to have in this match; he should take Hunico's place. And finally why announce this on WWE.com. It would have been great to see this match have a justified means. I feel Team Barrett will win this match as the team minus Hunico looks very good because of their work during the Walkout angle. Team Orton just seems rushed together maybe because WWE just needed a Traditional SS Match on the card and due to Evan Bourne's release but it just looks like WWE through together a bunch of faces and formed a team

Yeah, the crossing of brands confuses me as WWE had enough going on each individual brand to create an Elimination Match for both. :banghead: Now, it's almost certain that we'll only get this one, but hey, at least it's something :disappointed:

I guess with this match being the 4th match that's officially announced we'll probably see Ryder vs. Dolph for the US Title in a singles match especially since Ryder's from Long Island right outside the city. I know the 6th match will involve Divas (hoping it's not a tag team match, let alone a Survivor Series tag team match but I wouldn't doubt it).

That might be it for the card I guess at that point.

As for the match itself, maybe more will happen on Raw that sheds light on why this is happening, but I see where Orton/Rhodes, Christian/Sheamus, Sin Cara/Hunico and even Kofi/Swagger or Ryan/Swagger might work in. But Wade Barrett? Aside from leading the team... why? He decided one day he wants to lead a team against nobody he has an active rivalry with?

I would've went with:
Orton, Sheamus, Booker T, Daniel Bryan, Sin Cara
vs.
Rhodes, Christian, Barrett, Hunico, Broadus Clay

and

Kofi, Ryder, Ryan, A-Ry, JoMo
vs.
Ziggler, Swagger, McIntyre, Otunga, and MM

Yeah I dont like this being called "Team Barrett". I know they started pushing Barrett again. But Cody is currently feuding with Orton. And Christian is a 2 time champ. Barrett has been doing nothing for months.

I was hoping it would just be a Smackdown wrestlers. Team Orton (Orton,Sheamus,Booker T, sin Cara and Daniel Bryan) vs Team Rhodes (Cody,Christian,Wade, Hunico, tyson kidd).

Then they should of done Kofi and Ryder vs Swagger and Dolph.

And why was this announced on WWE.com?

A good match and it hopefully means that Ryder will get another US title shot.

As for Orton and Barret as captains I guess that suggests that they will be feuding soon.

My one grip with this is that its Team Superstar X v Team Superstar Y. I'd much rather that the SS matches are surprises and are put together at random. Like in 99 when The Godfather teamed up with D'lo and The Headbangers and they all dressed up as The Godfather. It was not the best match but it was really fun.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/survivorseries/2011/team-orton-team-barrett

So a Traditional Survivor Series match has been announced

My big question is why Barrett is the Team Captain opposing Orton, shouldn't it be Rhodes?

Also general discussion thread

The teams are:
Randy Orton, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston, and Mason Ryan
vs
Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Christian, Hunico, and Jack Swagger

Poor match, WWE have missed the boat yet again with 5 on 5 matches. They need to trim them down to 4 on 4 and have two of them at least. Swagger and Ryan just look so out of place in this match, but that's my opinion.

If Ziggler and Ryder are having a United States Title match, then why not have an Intercontinental Title match with Rhodes and Orton??

We don't know that Ziggler & Ryder are having a United States Champinship match. It's logical to believe so but, at this time, it's just pure speculation. While it's not likely to happen, there's always the possibility that there'll be another traditional Survivor Series match that could see the involvement of Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Zack Ryder and others.

As for why they don't have an IC title match between Rhodes & Orton, it's because Orton is far above the Intercontinental Championship. Orton's feud with Rhodes has been based on personal dislike rather than the title. The purpose of the feud was to elevate Cody Rhodes by having him come off as someone that can hang with, even beat, Randy Orton in the ring. Orton ultimately came out on the winning end of the feud, which he should as he's a long term main eventer and Rhodes is a mid-card champion at this point, but Rhodes looked like a star even in defeat. It showed fans how far Rhodes has come in the world since the days when Randy Orton would have smacked him around the ring before hitting an RKO in a 2.5 minute squash match. Besides that, when's the last time you saw a mid-card champ have a feud with someone on the level of Randy Orton?

As for this match itself, Barrett being captain doesn't bother me. He has a team comprised mostly of young heels, most of whom have come off on the losing end of feuds as of late. WWE has an opportunity to give these guys huge rubs in this match by having them look good. With Barrett as captain, it's more likely that his team will win at Survivor Series.

Again, lazy and terrible booking by WWE. Make the matches fucking mean something. This really is pathetic.

Two teams just thrown together and 2 captains that make sense whatsoever. At least have 2 captains who have heat with each other, at least have 2 teams where all the members have heat with each other and at least let a storyline develop with matches and backstage vignettes (maybe asking people to join teams etc) instead of just putting the match together on WWE.com.

Its no wonder PPV buys are also down when matches are just put out there that dont mean a thing.

Who cares who leads the team. Have we really got so angry at wrestling that we are going to start complaining because one person leads a team over another. Orton and Rhodes had what appeared to be a last match in their feud. This could be a start of a new feud with orton and barret without Cena trying to over shadow them. So either watch wrestling or don't but if you are going to constantly complain about everything then just quit watching. It is that easy

Two teams just thrown together and 2 captains that make sense whatsoever. At least have 2 captains who have heat with each other, at least have 2 teams where all the members have heat with each other and at least let a storyline develop with matches and backstage vignettes (maybe asking people to join teams etc) instead of just putting the match together on WWE.com.

Its no wonder PPV buys are also down when matches are just put out there that dont mean a thing.

Just asking a question but back in the late 80s and early 90s did all the ppv make sense? No that is what used to be cool about PPV is not every match was built up and seen a thousand times and you got special attraction matches that made me want to order more ppv.

Team Christian or Rhodes vs team Orton would be more sensible than barrett... barrett however now gets something to put him over the next couple weeks.

Im fine with the Match and it was announced that Dolph will defend the US Title against Zack Ryder so there we go on that one. Orton & Barrett being the Captains is fine and its clear Barrett is getting the push leading his Team. Plus the Sheamus/Christian and Sin Cara/Hunico Feud is featured in this as well.

The Vipers – Randy Orton, Zack Ryder, Sheamus, Kofi Kingston, Evan Bourne (damn suspension!!)
vs.
Vickie's Vices – Cody Rhodes, Dolph Ziggler, Christian, Jack Swagger, and Wade Barrett

This leaves Mason Ryan, Sin Cara and Hunico out. I’d rather see Mason Ryan face Brodus Clay and Sin Cara face Hunico in singles bouts. I’d even have Hunico pick up the victory setting up a rubber match.

I could not agree more on Ryan and Cara & Hunico, I have no interest in seeing Ryan in any match much less a bigger one like this where we could have someone better, hell throw A Ry for all I care, atleast the fans dig him and he's better in ring. As for Sin Cara and Hunico, I don't hate the idea of this in this match but I would prefer to see them one on one.

As for Barrett leading the team I am happily surprised, it's obviously part of this push that he's recieving and I think it's great. I expected someone like Cody or Christian to lead it but I think it's smart to give Barrett the wheel because he's a born leader, and I think it's great to have him in this position during this push. We could very possibly see him and Sheamus going at it on a regular basis which I like the sound of as well, it'd be hard to have a winner there though because they're both very hot young superstars who're at that upper midcard spot where they're bangin on the door of a title shot. Whatever happens after this, I'm happy with the teams for the most part and I think that having Barrett as one of the team captains is great.

Rhodes should have been the team captain. i know theyre trying to start pushing barrett hard but it doesnt make sense with him being team captain

no Ziggler or Ryder so hopefully we will see a U.S Title match on the card :) if this whole twitter petition storyline actually goes anywhere which personally I think will with the whole WWE & Twitter deal lately

IMO, They should just have called team heel and team face. On one side we got, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Sin Cara, Kofi Kingston, and Mason Ryan and on the other we go Wade Barrett, Cody Rhodes, Christian, Hunico, and Jack Swagger, Now for my anyalis on the teams, Swagger, Really, Really?! Who has he been feuding with, in this match. THE REASON THIS TEAM IS CALLED ORTON AND BARRET THOUGH IS BECAUSE THEY WILL (PREDICTION) START FEUDING TONIGHT! Remember Orton bagged Rhodes, thus ending their feud. This leavesOrton without a feud, and Barret has been on the recicving end of a push lately with no real feud. Now you got the Viper vs Wade Barret, which i have a strong feeling will happen. This also leaves the door open for Rhodes to begin his rumored feud with BOOOKER T. Think about it.... Rhodes vs Booker, and Orton vs Barret! IMO, THIS WIL HAPPEN AND IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF WEEKS WE WILL SEE BOTH OF THESE STORYLINES GET broken down and then this thread won't make sense as to Why its called Barret vs Orton. Take my word these are the feuds going forward! And also don't forgot, how many weeks til Survivor Series, enough to begin a feud! Pefect sense to me....

Barret with goons behind him and a microphone is at his best.

He was the perfect leader for Nexus before they tried to give a vet control and killed it.

Let it develop a bit before trashing it, Barret has some creditability with his leadership enforcement, this is a good opportunity to make him look like a strong leader again even if it's just a SS team and not a faction. Something that could push Barret even more

When you said team Barrett and asked shouldnt it be Rhodes, i thought Rhodes isnt in the match, then i clicked the link and saw that he is. Doesnt really make sense but i gues its just another part of Barretts big push recently (the Barrett Barrage).

Team Orton is looking a little weak though. Shame Bourne is suspended coz having Kingston without him really doesnt make much sense. Also, instead of Mason Ryan, someone like DiBiase or A-Ry would have been better as they have some history with the other team. I understand Ziggler and Ryder will probably have a match for the US title so they cant be included but they would have given a lot more depth to the match.

And as for the 2 Sin Cara's, Mehh....

If anyone is out of place in the match not being Captain it's Christian, Team Charisma? but I do see the logic, that Barrett is a "leader" from Nexus and Corre so it does make sense, especially if he is going at Orton next.

It's a good old fashioned Survivor Team, Bourne not being in the match works as it lets the lucha's carry that side of things and the whole point of SS matches to being with was to get more than one talent over in one match... Barrett will pin Orton most likely, and I see Booker T being a replacement for Kofi on the night (some kind of injury angle...)

Again, lazy and terrible booking by WWE. Make the matches fucking mean something. This really is pathetic.

It wasn't really thrown together... Orton, Sheamus and Sin Cara vs. Barrett, Rhodes, Christian, Hunico all looks good... the problem is this is clearly a Smackdown! match with Raw superstars Kofi, Mason and Swagger randomly inserted.

I understand Kofi had a feud over the tag titles with Swagger and Ziggler and that Mason Ryan has been happy making life difficult for Swagger, Ziggler and Vickie, but that's exactly why they should've had their own match!

Kofi, Evan, Mason Ryan, Zack Ryder have all been hooking up lately to go at Vickie's boys. Granted, I know Evan is out of the equation now, but you could replace him with Alex Reily and add John Morrison because they both have history with Ziggler at least!

Have Dolph and Swagger not be able to find anyone willing to team with them and have Vickie go and recruit a team, luring them on saying if they help her win she may have room for more clientele! Recruit McIntyre, Otunga & hey, get Big Zeke involved. Only to have him screw her over just like Mason Ryan did. Use a little imagination WWE.

As soon as I saw the picture advertising the match on Facebook, I mentally cropped it to what I like:Orton, Orton, Sheamus and Barrett, Christian and Rhodes. Mason Ryan has to show me ANYTHING, Kingston being in there without Bourne is pointless, I haven't seen Hunico's recent character. Swagger in there, just doesn't belong. I'd replace Ryan with Alex Riley, Kingston with Justin Gabriel or DANIEL BRYAN. Caps because I have no idea why he isn't on the card. I'd keep Swagger if Riley was added, and put in Tyson Kidd for Hunico.

Very weird Orton Vs Barret this storyline doesn`t make sense, since when is orton a rival with barret i have not noticed it. Just throwing a bunch of wrestlers together. Disappointed in the WWE again.

I believe Bourne's suspension has affected storylines more then we officially know/realize.

I love the traditional matches but I'd rather have two 4vs4, than one 5vs5, WWE could of easily had,

Sin Cara, JoMo, Ryder and Ryan vs Dolph, Swagger, Hunico and Tito Colon.
and
Orton, Bryan, Sheamus and Kofi vs Christian, Rhoads, Drew and Barrett

Just my opinion though.

I would love to argue that this is typical WWE stupidity, but its really just a name. Sure Christian is a bigger star and better heel, and Rhodes is the natural choice based on his feud with Orton, but team Barrett makes some sense. He's a proven leader, a former champion and a future star WITH NOTHING GOING FOR HIM RIGHT NOW. Christian is a great douchebag heel, Rhodes is mentally disturbed, Swagger is.... still around, and Hunico hasn't been fired yet. Barrett went from the biggest heel on Raw to some big white guy with a bright future and no character. The only thing hes ever been good at is as the leader of a group, He was leader of the heels during the vote of no confidence last month. Why not let him do this since the match is ultimately pointless filler anyway? Lets keep the guy in the spotlight until he gets some sort of feud going again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back