• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE motion pictures

Mr. Artistic guy

Better Off This Way
I'm not sure I really have a great point here except that I noticed amy smart is in the next WWE film involving John Cena and apart from being the sexiest lady of all time (apart from stacy keibler) she is quite a big star.

I guess if I had to turn this into a worthwhile thread it would be by saying that as WWE releases more of it's own movie's will it draw bigger stars as time goes on and prestige goes up?

I suppose what I'm effectively saying is should WWE take down this route in a big way because it may be a major source of future income with ratings beginning to slope downwards slightly?

There will always be people that will turn their noses up at the WWE within Hollywood when it comes to making movies. Truth is, there'll always be some wrestling fans that do the same thing. Many people in general are closed minded when it comes to wrestling with preconceptions of what wrestling is, what it should be, what it can be and what it can't be. It's something that can be applied to both fans and nonfans alike. In the case of nonfans, many see wrestling as simply low brow entertainment and a "fake sport" with "fake fights" and that's all they want to see it. For fans, many of them simply feel that a wrestling company should be just that instead of trying to branch out and become something else at the same time. They want what they want and they don't like very many things that seem to not be straight in line with their desires, that aplies especially to the IWC.

The thing with WWE Films is that it's really up in the air at this point. They haven't had any huge hit films in theaters and critics haven't exactly been kind in regards to their films. Comparatively speaking, WWE Films is quite young and their films haven't drawn huge names to them as far as being box office draws. Patricia Clarkson & Danny Glover were both in Legendary and they're well respected actors, Clarkson is an Academy Award nominee I think, so that's a step forward in my opinion.

Of all the WWE movies that've been made thus far, Knucklehead is the one that I've heard get the most positive word of mouth. I might be mistaken, but I think Jeffrey Lyons gave the film a very positive review and he's a pretty well known and respected movie critic. If WWE films can eventually become successful and some degree of a legitimate force, they could potentially bring in viewers from their films to watch wrestling that might not have been interested before. I think that's something Vince McMahon would hope to see happen.

I don't think so.

I remember seeing Amy Smart in the Crank films, Mirrors, The Butterfly Effect, and Road Trip. Not all of these films are that good, and I don't think she's that big of a star. Sure she's a lot more known than Kelly Carlson and Ashley Scott, but at the same time, she's no where near Angelina Jolie or Sandra Bullock's star power level.

WWE films ALWAYS get slaughtered by critics, and to tell you the truth, a lot of those criticisms are well deserved most of the time. Pro wrestling will never be accepted by the mainstream media. Vince can keep trying, but it just won't happen. We saw Robert Patrick play the bad guy in The Marine, and he did have the big role as the villain in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but that was a long time ago. WWE might get a few actors or actresses who are recognizable every now and then, but don't expect to see Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, or Hilary Swank in any WWE films. Also, WWE films never make a lot of money the box office. The DVD sales might be decent, but when it comes to drawing money at theaters, the numbers aren't too impressive.

The problem with WWE films is for the most part, they're not that good. I mean, I liked that movie with Kane, but aside from that, they haven't given me anything worth watching.

I really didn't care about The Marine, and then when they got Ted "I can't even live in my father's shadow because I'm so lame and boring" Dibiase to be in the sequel, that was the end of it for me.

I never saw Legendary, but the trailer didn't seem interesting. Maybe Knuckleheads is different, but I doubt it.

I don't think WWE films sees itself as competing with mainstream Hollywood films; movies are just one more part of the corporate empire, and I'm sure they turn a tidy profit even on these films that only make $10 million or less in theaters. It's boutique filmmaking, just like their planned TV channel. It appeals to a narrow audience that consequently has a high willingness to pay just to see their favorite stars.

And while I've seen all the WWE films at this point, even the shitty Stone Cold straight-to-video ones, I thought 12 Rounds was a nice take on the early 1990s action film formula.

I think WWE films will never do good unless they come up with a better plot and a better WWE actor. I understand they use John Cena a lot because he's the top money maker but he doesn't translate well on the big picture.

I'd like to see WWE Films change their name, separate it a little bit from the actual WWE even though it's the same wrestling/film company. Titan Films, or something like that. Probably because I'm a big WWE fan boy, but I've actually enjoyed the Marine, 12 rounds, the Condemned and Legendary (which I thought was really good). To me Kane's movie was a bit bizarre, and I haven't seen the 2nd Marine yet.

If anything they need to just keep working on it and somehow involve more well known directors/actors. I will say I saw Stone Cold's movie "Damage" and it was an awesome brawling movie just too bad it wasn't a WWE Film (Austin's other recent movie "The Stranger sucked). That's just my taste though, they need to keep trying & I think seeing Cena in more than just an action role is good practice for him in other future films

You know, the Marine 2 was a halfway decent movie. I think Ted Jr does have some credibility outside the ring. Given the fact that movie was based on actual events. Granted I never was really into many of the WWE films and waited on them to be in either the discount theaters or would wait for them to be at the video store. Now I am still waiting on The Expendables, although that is not WWE. But, I am highly anticipating the Knucklehead movie, I did quite enjoy Big Show when he did his stint on Psych, and think he may have the chops to have a run at this movie thing. That being said, even though Cena is one of the top moneymakers, if he is always the one being used for the WWE movies, there could run the risk of other talent being alienated and bridges being burned by not getting other exposure out there, and run the risk of WWE mgmt possibly sending the 'non-verbal' message that they may think they are only good for wrestling. Consider the fact that HHH had worked on a movie in his off time, and Edge is doing or finished a movie. I think it would benefit WWE to strongly consider MORE than just the top money maker(s) to be open for roles in WWE movies. Even if it is just an appearance on a tv network that they are partners on, like having someone do an appearance on a SyFy show, or USA show, that can STILL equal more people getting a chance to see someone they wouldn't normally watch on a regular basis. Granted, WWE films would probably be more catered to WWE fans and attract probably the fans of the other movie stars to see it. But, if someone were say, a Caprica, or Stargate, or Psych, or Burn Notice fan and one of their fave WWE stars were making an appearance, it could be easier to try to get that person to lower their walls and try to like the WWE world, even if it is just for that wrestler only. I think by thinking smartly, and strategizing properly, everyone can win.

The WWE movies i've seen are The Condemned, The Marine, The Marine 2, 12 Rounds, and Legendary and I can honestly say I'v liked them all. The acting in these movies aren't all bad however there are some like the main bad guy in the Condemned that just sucked. WWE films is moving i believe in a great direction with their movies Knucklehead looks funny and i'm really glad their exploring other genres of movies as well. The Marine 2 really reminded me alot of Die Hard granted The Marine 2 is no where near Die Hard's level (in my opinion Die Hard is the greatest movie of all time) but it has alot of the same story. I greatly appreciated Legendary mainly because i'm currently a High School wrestler and other than Vision Quest there aren't very many movies about this noble sport. Overall WWE Films is getting better and moving in the right direction I hope it continues to do so.

Oh by the way aren't they supposed to be making a movie about Gorgeous George i'm pretty sure I read about that here on Wrestlezone?

Gah, i must be out by myself here...I ama HUGE wrestling fan and maybe its that i like these wrestlers as actors..I dunno..But the WWE Films iv watched i really enjoyed the plot along side the acting...The marine kicked ass, loved it..Are you kidding me? Only one person so far liked The Condemed? i loved it..awsome story line. I havent seen The Marine 2 yet, I loved 12 Rounds. I thought Kanes movie was pretty decent. i cant wait to watch Knuckleheads..

And i know movies pretty well..iv collected over 900 in my collection and watched...

and BTW, Amy Smart may not be a Angelina Jolie but if you lined he 2 up and said "Jason, pick one" Id take Amy ANY day of the week..

thanks for the talk of the Marine 2, I may have to go check that movie out now in RedBox. WWE needs to do the same with their movies that they need to do with their shows, add interesting characters and story lines.

I must admit I've loved the unrealistic action of shooting cars without them exploding like in the 1st Marine

OK, if this is a serious route which I think it could be, lots of money in films then I do agree that changing the names to make it look more proffessional would be a good start. It's like the downgraded versions of household food brands, say that cadburys is like the Universal studios of the chocolate world, if you could choose between a cadburys chocolate bar and say another less well known brand you'd choose cadburys because the other brand name just feels foreign and taccy and you know if you get a cadburys bar it's going to be good. Sorry about the chocolate comparison, I must be hungry.

It's the same with any situation where your ousting a product, in this case films, which can be backed by different "brands". Many people won't watch the films no matter how good they are because of the stigma of watching a film made by a wrestling company, something currently pretty uncool. At least if you change the name, many people may not recognize that it is WWE and just assume it's some up-and-coming company.

But like I said, the primary draw is bigger actors, WWE studios are likely to write a shutter island any time soon ie something with a compelling, unwritten story. So they will have to rely upon good acting to pull off what is more than likely mediocre stories and ideas. And it isn't that impossible. They co-produced the scorpion king back in the day, for obvious reasons, and that had a fairly good grossing and also welcome to the jungle which had sean-williamson scott and christopher walken. The latter of the two, BIG name, can't deny that although he is an easy guy to book for a film but..besides..

I'm not saying, scrap the wrestling, lets go in to making movies but if they can make money, even a little bit then it's worth doing and if they keep going, the name will likely get more prestigious and less frowned upon, especialy if they manage to produce a good film once in a while, cue the review of knucklehead to save the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back