Wrestlezone Tournament Discussion

Like it or not, Randy Orton is the current WWE champion and as such is easily on the same level as pretty much anyone in the tournament; above most. Of course Austin would whip him, he's the greatest face in wrestling history. Like saying the world's most pioneering doctor could help a graze to heal.

I still think that Undertaker will win the tournament, and am backing him through the ECW region. I'm also very hopeful about Kurt, but fear Flair, Austin or Rock will send him out too early.

Like it or not, Randy Orton is the current WWE champion and as such is easily on the same level as pretty much anyone in the tournament; above most. Of course Austin would whip him, he's the greatest face in wrestling history. Like saying the world's most pioneering doctor could help a graze to heal.

I still think that Undertaker will win the tournament, and am backing him through the ECW region. I'm also very hopeful about Kurt, but fear Flair, Austin or Rock will send him out too early.

Sammy, you need to be more concerned about Big Van Vader and Yokozuna, whom I would pick over most of the guys you mentioned. It takes an extra special performance to defeat guys with that size, strength, and ability, no matter what the region. Before gravitating to the obvious favorites, don't slight the SHW's.

Sammy, you need to be more concerned about Big Van Vader and Yokozuna, whom I would pick over most of the guys you mentioned. It takes an extra special performance to defeat guys with that size, strength, and ability, no matter what the region. Before gravitating to the obvious favorites, don't slight the SHW's.

Like I've said, I think this tournament will be a good one for the Bigelows, the Vaders and the Yokozunas, particularly with you and Jake backing them. However, I don't think they stand a hope of overcoming guys like the Undertaker, Angle or even Triple H. Not because they couldn't, or don't deserve to, but just because people don't know much about them. Personally, I recognize Bigelow's and Vader's talent; particularly after scouting some of their very impressive matches in Japan - I didn't even know big men could move like that! Thanks for the tips, by the way.

Hey I wonder what CA is going to do in case of ties! DDP/Jesse the Body and Kindham/Saturn are tied. One other one is close but I'm not saying who because the one I won't to win is leading and I hope there are no more votes. CA will it be triple threats? Let's see what happens.

Does a number 32 seed toppling a number 33 seed count as an upset? If so, we're going to have our first upset - probably, I can't be bothered to flick back through all the polls - when KENTA gets his hands on Shane O' Mac.

Can't wait until the TNA brackets start going up so I can begin the intense battle against Headbanger Thrasher. I have no idea how Kurt Angle plans to survive against such a difficult opponent in such a hostile environment. It's over folks.

Unless i'm mistaken and i missed him, there's no Paul Burchill but Palumbo gets in? Disgraceful

So here are the first set of results from the first round. Results from the San Antonio Region.

Match 1: Shawn Michaels vs. Chuck Palumbo. Honestly, no contest from the starts. The comedy votes were funny the first 50 times you did them guys (precip), but honestly it gets stupid after a while. Michaels dominates this match 66-4, and i think this match got the most votes. This means people are coming to vote for Michaels again.

Match 2: Sean Waltman vs. Bubba Ray. The aritist formerly known as X-pac, Syxx, 1,2,3, whatever. Waltman handles bubba in a fairly close match early on. 32-25.

Match 3: Ultimo Dragon vs. Claudio Castagnoli. The Dragon proves his worth, and Claudio proves that he doesn't have the necessary exposure yet to compete in these things yet. Dragon wins fairly easily, 42-7.

Match 4: DDP vs. Ventura: The first upset, and the closest match thus far. Ventura had a big lead early, but DDP comes back to tie it for several days, but in the end, Ventura wins by one vote, 27-26.

Match 5: Raven vs. Marella: Sigh, Marella actually managed to get double digit votes in this thing. It doesn't matter, because Raven destroys the Milan Miracle 46-11.

Match 6: Simmons vs. Nagata. Sure to raise speculation amongst wrestling purist. Simmons takes down Nagata and fairly easily too. Simmons wins 41-14.

Match 7: Bigelow vs. Williams. Again, another pretty straight forward no contest. Outside of comedy votes, Bam Bam gets about as perfect as you can in the first round, winning 47-2.

Match 8: Delirous vs. Burke. Another result sure to stir up exposure issues. another upset in this region as the Elijah Experience takes down Delirious 29-20.

So Second Round Matchups.
Shawn Michaels vs. Sean Waltman
Ultimo Dragon vs. Jesse Ventura
Raven vs. Ron Simmons
Bam Bam Bigelow vs. Elijah Burke.

And onto the second set of results from day one, the El, Paso Area.

Match 9: Guerrero vs. Sasaki. Guerrero handles this one very easily. 51-5 is the outcome. Again another match were Guerrero would have one, but given more exposure for Sasaki, probably not as big of a margin.

Match 10: Sheik vs. Dutt. As expected the crazy son of a bitch takes down the Vanilla Midge rather easily. Sheik makes Dutt humble with a vote of 40-10.

Match 11: Senshi vs. Kronus. The Warrior has no problem what so ever with facing Kronus. Outside of the eliminators, Kronus accomplished next to nothing, and it showd. senshi wins 45-2.

Match 12. Helms vs. Richards. In a match that would have been much more close then what the score indicates, Helms advances fairly easily. Helms moves onto round 2 with a score of 40-13.

Match 13. Hogan vs. Vampiro. Maybe some people thought that Vampiro could win, I happen to think it's just blind Hogan ahting running wild on the internet. That being said, Hogan manages to take down Vampiro fairly easily, 50-9.

Match 14: Hernandez vs. Williams. Not a good day for the small guys. The power houses are taking out the CW's pretty easily on the first day. Hernandez moves on with a score of 25-20.

Match 15: Benjamin vs. Black. Only if the internet transcended into the ral world. Benjamin is going to become a legit threat in this tournament if he racks up scores liek this. Benjamin wins with an impressive 53-3 blow out.

Match 16: Anderson vs. Crazy. The Enforcer does his job, and that's take downthe little guy. Anderson wins pretty handily with a score of 51-7.

So second round matchups made.
Eddie Guerrero vs. The Iron Sheik
Senshi vs. Gregory Helms.
Hulk Hogan vs. Hernandez
Shelton Benjamin vs. Arn Anderson.

A couple of very interesting matchups coming out of these results. The two that really intrigue me the most are Helms vs. Low Ki as both are very good at their respective styles, I think this will have a close vote.

The match that is really intriguing though is definitely Shelton Benjamin vs. Arn Anderson, I honestly cannot decide who I think would win this match, as Shelton is completely underutilized and beloved by the IWC and Arn Anderson is a technical master who is also loved by the IWC, this one could honestly go either way and I believe that between people's love for these two and their hate for Hogan that the winner of this match could be the one to knock off Hogan.

Other matches:
HBK vs. X-Pac: HBK will and should win this even though Waltman is totally underrated, he just cannot stand a chance against HBK in San Antonio.

Dragon vs. Ventura: Dragon will probably win this, but Ventura will get "I've heard of him" votes from some.

Raven vs. Ron Simmons: This is another interesting matchup as people love Raven, but Simmons is a total powerhouse, I could see this one going either way, but I am leaning towards Raven right now because people may see Simmons as too much of a comedy character based on his current stuff.

Bigelow vs. Burke: I like Burke as much as the next guy, but he never should have gotten out of the first round and Bam Bam will eat him alive, this one shouldn't be close.

Eddie vs. Sheik: Eddie should win, Eddie will win, Sheik is average, but Eddie would thrive against him in his hometown.

Hogan vs. Hernandez: Hogan would win, now that doesn't mean that people won't vote for Hernandez out of blind hate for Hogan.

Potential Round 3 Matches:

HBK vs. Dragon- I really like what Dragon does and think he's awesome, but this looks like the probable end of the line for him.

Raven/Simmons vs. Bigelow- I think that Bigelow would beat either one of these two, but both matchups have potential to be pretty good.

Eddie Guerrero vs. Low Ki- Another one where Eddie will probably move past whoever wins the other match, but both would be great matches to watch.

Hogan vs. Shelton- I could see Hogan going down here based solely upon the love of Shelton and hate of Hogan on here.

You can take a look at score totals by following the link to the brackets in my signature. But to make things a little easier, I'll give you a quick run down of the results from the Charlotte Area of the TNA Region.

Flair over JYD. 43-3
Goldberg over Marc Brisco. 48-5
Sabu over Brutus Beefcake. 47-7
Homicide over Takishi Morishima 31-7
Lance Storm over Jun Akiyama: 38-7
Hakushi over Perro Aguayo Jr.: 35-6
Big Van Vader over Barry Windham: 41-10
James Storm over Kevin Thorne: 40-11

So these are the second round matches.

Ric Flair vs. Goldberg
Sabu vs. Homicide
Lance Storm vs. Hakushi
Big Van Vader vs. James Storm.

Im going to have to do mega posting to catch up and post an opinion on all of the matches trying to get last minute votes for my guys. And Bloody Dumb asses that don't know who people are and voting for who they Know. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

and here are more results. This is from the Toronto area of the ECW Region.

Edge over Steve Williams: 45-7
The Sandman over Jimmy Jacobs: 41-7
Matt Hardy over Jado: 38-9
Steve Corino over Tenryu: 36-8
Rey Mysterio over Jacques Rouguea: 35-15
Sid over Vince McMahon: 41-19
Jeff Jarrett over Brent Albright: 36-9
The Big Show over 2 Cold Scorpio 41-12

So these are the new 2nd round matchups.
Edge vs. The Sandman
Matt Hardy vs. Steve Corino
Rey Mysterio vs. Sid
Jeff Jarret vs. the Big Show

And here are more results I've got some more catching up to do on this thing. Miss a day, miss a lot I suppose.

Chris Jericho over Trevor Murdoch: 55-2
Kazarian over Rikishi: 24-20
Shelley over Candido: 28-17
Dreamer over the Meanie: 50-4
Billington over Bundy: 33-17
Tajiri over Lashley: 30-22
DiBiase over Mushiking: 39-4
Cabana over Volkhoff: 29-17

So these are the new Second Round matchups:
Chris Jericho vs. Frankie Kazarian
Alex Shelley vs. Tommy Dreamer
Tom Billington vs. Tajiri
Ted DiBiase vs. Colt Cabana

And results from the TNA Region
Steve Austin over Mosh: 51-1
Scott Norton over Juvi Guerrera: 24-17
Kennedy over Young: 39-8
Regal over Hayabusa: 33-7
Piper over O'Haire: 42-5
Backlund over Hassan: 33-10
Hennig over Orton: 44-1
Kidman over Saturn: 20-17

And these are the second roudn matchups now made:
Steve Austin vs. Scott Norton
Kennedy vs. Willilam Regal
Roddy Piper vs. Bob Backlund
Curt Hennig vs. Billy Kidman

Can I please request that for the next round you don't do any poll's please Shocky. The tournament will be too predictable if people vote without giving any reasons. People will just vote for the big names, wothout doing any research or giving a real valid reason behing why The Rock is better than Vader. Please Shocky, I implore you.

That is all.

I understand the frustration. The only thing to do is just red rep the hell out of people that are obviously voting blindly. I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I want htem to say it just as much as the next guy. At least the one guy came out and said he was voting against Hogan simply because he hated him. I don't agree with it, but respect that he had the balls to just state the obvious. I have the same feeling with the Hardy Lynn match. Outside of Sly, no one is discussing it pro-Hardy.

AS well as the Kenta Kobashi match. They aren't defending Taz or saying why they are voting for him. There are at least two more matches where Exposure issues are going to stop them from advancing further than they should. Mitsuharu Misawa and Kenta Kobashi.

I say at least take the polls off the semi final and final matches. That way there can be a proper discussion. There hasn't really been many of them so far. Pretty much Sly & xfear have tried to pick apart posts. It's hard to do that at the moment because there's that many threads but when it get's towards the end a bit more discussion would be great.

I also think it's a shame that more people aren't posting in this. Where's Will, Wes, Justin & A.J.?

Here is the main reason I see some not posting. Last year it was in the discussion fourm and when you voted you could go and respond to all of the matches in one post. Some people such as me have some weeks that are busier than other like wit me when I have late coaching duties and don't have time to do a post at seven different locations. After you vote you have to go to another page and it is time consuming. I to love a good debate. The Tully/Awesome debate was wonderful. However I'm not going to debate a match I'm not truly into if I have time restratints. The plus thing I do like is you can watch how the voting is going and if you're wanting someone to win you can debate when they get down in the votes. Plus I think it's Shadowmancer who you can see where who voted for who. I am just stating my opinion here but that's why I don't think you see more posts. I myself may get just a five minute break at work and by the time I vote I don't have time to post. I hope this may help. Y 2 Jake. I hope when it gets down to the finals of each region it may go to one post.

Well there has been a lot more conversation this round as opposed to round 1. The matches are simply going to get better and better as it goes along further, and that willd rive people to discussion. I can see why no one would care to comment on Kash vs. Douglas or Hoyt vs. Tomko, or something like that. I think the further it gets, the more convos will start up. Plus the way I ran the first two rounds it's a madhouse in here. I've slowed it down starting with round 3, not so many matches, and round 3 will start tomorrow.

From now on until the end, it will be a much more slower pace, open to more debate, which Sly and X are doing quite well.

Here is the main reason I see some not posting. Last year it was in the discussion fourm and when you voted you could go and respond to all of the matches in one post. Some people such as me have some weeks when I have late coaching duties and don't have time to do a post at seven different locations. After you vote you have to go to another page and it is time consuming. I to love a good debate. The Tully/Awesome debate was wonderful. However I'm not going to debate a match I'm not truly into if I have time restratints. The plus thing I do like is you can watch how the voting is going and if you're wanting someone to win you can debate when they go down. Plus I think it's Shadowmancer who you can see where who voted for who. I am just stating my opinion here but that's why I don't think you see more posts. I myself may get just a five minute break at work and by the time I vote I don't have time to post. I hope this may help. Y 2 Jake. I think when it gets down to the finals of each region it may go to one post.

Well I wanted to keep it Wrestlezone inclusive this year. Keep the off site stuff only to the brackets and not give our website hits to another offsite. Plus, there was supsected sabotaging in the Tag Team Tourney in August. I tested their "one vote for IP address" and it simply didn't hold up. So to avoid all of that hoopla this time around, I just kept it onsite and votes public. That way if someone is voting and has two accounts per IP, their votes are thrown out and they're banned. I know it sucks with all the individual matches to discuss and people are pickign and choosing, but I think this is the best way to run it without any trickery involved.

Well I wanted to keep it Wrestlezone inclusive this year. Keep the off site stuff only to the brackets and not give our website hits to another offsite. Plus, there was supsected sabotaging in the Tag Team Tourney in August. I tested their "one vote for IP address" and it simply didn't hold up. So to avoid all of that hoopla this time around, I just kept it onsite and votes public. That way if someone is voting and has two accounts per IP, their votes are thrown out and they're banned. I know it sucks with all the individual matches to discuss and people are pickign and choosing, but I think this is the best way to run it without any trickery involved.

Very well said! I understand completley. I to was very aggravated the way the tag tournament played out. I know there is always a good reason when you do something. I just hope maybe my post will help Y 2 Jake to understand why some don't post as often.

Can I make a suggestion for the next WZ tournament? Get this. THE WORST WRESTLEZONE TOURNAMENT. Yeah you heard it. Vote for who you think is the worst wrestler of all time. You'd get legitimate contenders like Khali, Henry. You'd get wrestlers who used to be good but who've lost it, Flair, Scott Steiner etc. And wrestlers who people hate, Hogan, Cena and so on. Great idea or what?

Hahaha I like it. And ythe saddest part is that if we're lucky, the winner should be someone most of us don't even know! Hahaha Jake, your a genius lol. It would get confusing at times, but it would still be equally fun.

Can I make a suggestion for the next WZ tournament? Get this. THE WORST WRESTLEZONE TOURNAMENT. Yeah you heard it. Vote for who you think is the worst wrestler of all time. You'd get legitimate contenders like Khali, Henry. You'd get wrestlers who used to be good but who've lost it, Flair, Scott Steiner etc. And wrestlers who people hate, Hogan, Cena and so on. Great idea or what?

I love this idea. One thing though. I don't like the who've lost it criteria. Of course I'm bias due to being a flair fan but associating him with anything worse of is a disgrace. I like the worst wrestler category and most hated category. When people list greatest boxers of course Ali is the first one or two metioned along with Rocky Marcino but you don't dare disgrace Ali because of his last fight against Holmes. This is my thought.

Yeah but adding wrestlers like that would make it more intresting. You'd get people voting for people out of blind hatred and you'd get people voting for Flair because of how shit he's been for the last 15 years. It would make it more intresting.

Also It would be done like this one was done, with Shocky picking 100 wrestlers who they think are the worst. So for example Slyfox would add people like Joe, Punk, etc. It would be pretty varied. There would also be filler wrestlers like Mosh & Thrasher were in this tournament. And that too would make a great debate. Because was Mosh really a bad wrestler, or the product of bad booking? There are loads of different ways that thing could go, it's just an idea anyway.

Well if we keep this as a subforum, I will definantly look into doing many differnt quasi-bullshit tournametns thoughout the year. i like doing them, and if people are down for it, then I'll get some more little ones going.

Obviously you may have noticed that the tournament has had no matches. We are onto gimmick matches now. I will be randomly PM'ing people for a task and then we will set up the first round of randomness, the Spin the Wheel Make the Deal round. I have to wait until all of the matches are over to get the next round set up. I will update the brackets throughout the week, so you can always check up on results in my signature. We are going down to 32, and the next round will get us to 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back