• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 28: Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell in a Cell

And that's where we disagree, I think. I don't think it's a guarantee that he rides off into the sunset with the streak intact. It's certainly a possibility, but I don't believe it's a certainty. My posts are generally operating on the assumption that the streak is something that will end, that should end. However, only a few months ago, before he came back, I thought he was retired, and preferred to fade away quietly. I can see it both ways...and I can totally understand why someone would believe that the streak would never end. My position assumes that the Undertaker would be willing to end the streak if it was the right opponent, but if he refuses to end it, then it's an entirely moot point. I have to think the streak will end though, otherwise what's the point in watching?

Who would be the best guy on the roster to do it, if not Triple H? Maybe John Cena or the Rock (how in the hell has that Wrestlemania matchup never happened?), but other than those guys, who could legitimately retire the streak and have it be acceptable to the fans?

They can find a few guys that can legitimately retire the streak, but I highly doubt that it will be acceptable to the fans. Having any part timer (Rock/Austin/Lesnar) end the streak will be like a slap to the active guys, having HHH would lead to complaints of politics and burying, and Cena...well he is Cena. People will find something to complain.

As for the match goes, it is the match that I am looking forward to the most (despite the build being more focused on HHH-HBK). I can only hope that HBK does not get involved in the final decision (except counting the pin). The match should be treated as a match, not a way to progress a future angle.

This one sure has received a ton of attention. Two of the biggest legends in WWE history, with a third arguably bigger legend as the special guest ref. Trips has held more world titles than nearly anybody and remained dominant for years. Taker is undefeated at Wrestlemania after 19 appearances. Michaels is regarded as one of the greatest in-ring competitors of all time. Then you throw in the Hell In a Cell gimmick, and you have an explosion of hype and interest. This match has more drawing power than half of the card put together.

That being said.... I cannot wait. Will the streak remain intact for a 20th appearance by The Undertaker? Will Triple H be "the one" to end the streak? Will Michaels call things down the middle, or cost either competitor the match? Does the "end of an era" refer to the streak, Hell In a Cell, the Attitude Era, or something else? The answers to each of these questions will be provided sunday in a match I am already predicting will be a match of the year contender. I honestly think that Taker will walk out undefeated. Michaels might be temped to do a DX double team to get his buddy the victory, but his ego is going to get the better of him. Why help Trips do what he could not do himself? Taker will win because of not only the fact that the streak needs to be ended (if ended at all) by someone who can use the gargantuan push that results from ending it, and Trips doesn't need that, but also because Michaels is more likely to side with Taker and prevent Trips from doing what he couldn't. I hope Trips does not end the streak, but I'm expecting an incredible match out of this one.

DAGGER'S PREDICTION
The Undertaker will defeat Triple H.

They can find a few guys that can legitimately retire the streak, but I highly doubt that it will be acceptable to the fans. Having any part timer (Rock/Austin/Lesnar) end the streak will be like a slap to the active guys, having HHH would lead to complaints of politics and burying, and Cena...well he is Cena. People will find something to complain.

As for the match goes, it is the match that I am looking forward to the most (despite the build being more focused on HHH-HBK). I can only hope that HBK does not get involved in the final decision (except counting the pin). The match should be treated as a match, not a way to progress a future angle.

I didn't mean acceptable as in the fans love the idea, but which wrestlers would be believable? I have no problems believing the Rock could beat the Undertaker, part timer or not...I have no problems accepting that John Cena is good enough either. But, if they have someone on a lower level, even if they are an established main eventer, I might. Is Sheamus worthy of ending the streak? NO WAY. It wasn't so much about fan favorites/heels, it was more about realism, who has done enough to make it believable.

I can't sleep on this match. As much as the HBK involvement has watered the Triple H vs. Undertaker aspect of this match, I just can't sleep on this match. These two had an amazing match at WM 17 (my personal favorite match on the card), they had the best match at last years Mania. There is nothing to suggest that these two aren't going to have a good to great match.

Yes, the Streak is this heavy burden to so many smarks on this site. For whatever reason, people can't just sit back and enjoy the Mania match because "We all knowz TakerZ iz gunna win." Sorry you feel that way. How about pay attention to the live audience each and every year. While the keyboard warriors are hacking away their fury of how stupid the streak is, the paying gate customers go absolutely apeshit over it because they are simply experiencing the moment.

Undertaker vs. Triple H, Hell in the Cell. Take off the cynical glasses, and enjoy it for what it is. Will it be a technical masterpiece, no. Will it be one helluva brawl/fight, yes. And, get this, we might actually get blood in this match, that should make some people happy.

I see them giving this to Undertaker so he can be known as the man who succeeded at Wrestlemania for over two decades (can't you see them running that into the ground for the next 12 months?), and then giving it to some new Satanic-esque character to replace Kane and Taker at next year's show.

First off, I'd probably go apeshit if blood were involved in this match. I know it's unlikely, but hey, it was unlikely last year that they'd use chairshots to the head in their match, so there's always a chance. As for the buildup/the feud/the match itself, as soon as HBK announced his involvement, I knew it was going to harm the match. The buildup hasn't been great due to his involvement- I think everyone would like it much better if it were to be a straight-up brawl between HHH & Undertaker, as their matches in the past at WM have been awesome. Nothing against HBK, he's great, but just not needed at all in this scenario. I wish he were involved in something else, anything else, but this match. But he is. So instead of just watching the match, we have to keep an eye on HBK and wait for him have some sort of impact on what would have been a great match if left alone. And if he has no impact at all, then it may be even worse. I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself, and that's probably because I am. It flusters me that much. Not really, but anyway, should be a good brawl, and I hope they either escape the cage and/or go to the top. I doubt they go up top (however I'm not givng up hope, similarly to how I'm not giving up on blood), but I would at least hope that they escape the cage and maybe get a table involved.

Obviously Undertaker wins, but that certainly doesn't take away from the match in my opinion. They're all predetermined, so who really cares? As long as the means to the end are entertaining, we win. I just hope HBK doesn't factor into it too much, but I know that's alot to ask for/probably won't happen.

One last point, and this is just for the sake of argument, because I know 'Taker will win, but here it goes: some people have been debating on whether or not Triple H would be a good choice to end the streak. Most are saying no way, while others rightfully see that he'd be a fine choice. Look at the Streak as a long title run. If they were to book an end to it and it was a title run, would you want it to "elevate" someone (meaning some like a Cody Rhodes/Wade Barrett/Sheamus/Ziggler,etc. would end it) or would you want him to be beaten by someone who's believable and of equal caliber (Triple H/HBK/John Cena,etc.), thus not making it look like that much of an upset? If you're concerned with the "sanctity" of the title run (the Streak), then it would make more sense to do the latter. Although it'd be considered an upset, it be much more feasible and stomachable if HHH defeated the Undertaker, not a Cody Rhodes, for the above reason. It'd be acceptable and understandable, and I'd challenge anyone to make a legitimate point otherwise.

Undertaker wins after an exciting, brutal, close match with HBK's involvement in some way or another.

I have to say that before it was announced as a hell in a cell match, I had zero interest in this match. That's because I thought their match at Wrestlemania 17 was better than last year's match. I'm not saying last year's was bad but I just liked 17 better.

I think this will be the best hell in a cell match in at least the last five years. I think that at least one of them bleeds and weapons will be used. I also think this is the possible show stealer even over Jericho vs Punk.

Now the prediction: Triple H wins after HBK gives sweet chin music to the Undertaker and ends the streak. I believe Undertaker retires after this match no matter the outcome.

The End of an Era. What Era that is isn’t clear but one is ending. This is the match that has arguably gotten the most build or at worst the second best. It’s basically the culmination (to date) of the last three Manias before it, with Shawn not being able to stop the Streak, the betting his career against it, then his male life partner/occasional attempted murderer HHH failing to do so as well. Now it’s Taker vs. HHH in the match they both made famous which is something huge. The best thing about the gimmick aspect of the match: it feels like it belongs here. There’s no reason to not put these two in the cage because it adds a level of intensity to the match that it might not have otherwise.

On the other hand, we have a second gimmick in this match in the form of a guest referee in the form of Shawn Michaels. I really don’t get what he adds to this. The promos have been very good to pretty good in this and the best was Shawn and HHH talking, but I don’t really see what him being in there with the two of them will do. These two don’t need a third big name in there. I mean, it’s Undertaker vs. HHH in the Cell. What I do think it needs though is something on the line for HHH. If he loses, so what? He hasn’t put anything up. The way one of their talks a few weeks ago went, it seemed like this was going to be Streak vs. Career but that didn’t happen, which I think could have helped the match a bit.

As for a prediction, it’s the Streak. If there’s one sure thing in wrestling, it’s that you don’t bet against the Streak. Shawn can be in there, the rest of DX can be in there, the 82nd airborne can be in there. You don’t bet against the Streak. Last year during their match I never once moved during every one of the near falls on Undertaker because it just wasn’t going to happen. That wasn’t true in the first Shawn match, which is why I like that one more. The more interesting question is will there be blood, and I think we’ll see some. The prediction is Taker with one of his 9 or so finishers.

There’s been a lot of talk about Undertaker retiring this year. While I won’t necessarily mind it, I don’t think it will happen just yet. This year, I fully expected Undertaker to come out and put his career on the line against Triple H in a Wrestlemania match. That wasn’t the case. The WWE hasn’t even alluded to the fact that there is even the slightest possibility of Undertaker retiring this at this year’s Wrestlemania. The odds are soooo stacked against The Undertaker – in fact, too stacked if you will. The Undertaker is facing Triple H; Triple H took Undertaker to the complete limit last year. Not only that, but it seems Shawn Michaels thinks he’s in totally control of this match. There’s the slightest possibility that HBK has some sort of plan in mind to screw the Undertaker out of his Wrestlemania streak for ending his career.

It seems to me that WWE wants me to think The Undertaker will lose this year. Like I said, the odds are too stacked against the Undertaker. It’s classic babyface style. Undertaker will overcome the odds and prevail at Wrestlemania – all signs point to it. 19-1 won’t sell as many DVDs as 20-0. With rumors of a possible Michaels vs. Triple H match next year, there’s no way I see Triple H ending the streak especially when there is nothing to gain from it. Triple H is already at the top of his game – he owned the game – he is the game. He gains nothing from ending the streak.

Again, with rumors of a Michaels vs. Triple H match next year, I see Michaels sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong and screwing Triple H out of a victory when he himself, couldn’t get the job done. That or I see Triple H laying down for The Undertaker. Yeah I said it. No not classic finger poke of doom style, but after 20 minutes of Triple H controlling the match then Triple H starts letting his conscience get to him. He starts losing focus but eventually he just gives up on destroying one of his greatest mentors.

Whatever happens, this match should be awesome. I really don't know why so many have a problem with this match. This year's build up will be stronger than last years. This year’s match will feature way more storytelling in their match up than last years. I'm probably the minority here, but there's still a story to be told between these two. I CANNOT wait for this Hell in a Cell match this Sunday. If it goes on first, the rest of the matches are going to have a hard time following. No matter what happen within the match itself, there is absolutely no way I see The Undertaker losing this year.

Hamler’s Prediction – Undertaker will defeat Triple H and keep his Streak intact.

Prediction: See bottom of post

Here we go. This is the match I've been most looking forward to since Wrestlemania 27. Undertaker vs. Triple H III won't be a letdown, especially in a match that both have a history with; Hell in a Cell. This only further's the bloodbath that we are going to see, if they allow blood that is. Plus HBK, the man Taker forced into retirement two years ago, is going to ref the match.

Holy shit.

Triple H, Undertaker, and Shawn Michaels are indeed the last of their breed. Everyone else from the attitude era are gone. Shawn Michaels is no longer an active wrestler due to his forced retirement after a fantastic match with Undertaker. Triple H is taking the reigns of management while Vince slowly gives up more power. Undertaker wrestles a match once a year now, which isn't a bad thing.

With the odds stacked against Undertaker, this seems to be the end of the Streak. HBK is most certainly going to try to screw Undertaker out of the match. We all know he's going to.

There's rumors that Wrestlemania 29 will be Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels, or Undertaker vs. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels. Both of these matches would be huge. I personally would like to see Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels IF he comes out of retirement FOR THAT NIGHT ONLY. If the WWE makes a match one year in advance, it HAS to be this one. Either Undertaker will retire this year, or he'll come back next year and face someone new like John Cena, the only man Cena hasn't ever beaten (as memory serves). In fact, Taker vs. Cena for a one year build wouldn't be that bad either. If Taker comes back next year, it has to be against either Cena, or Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Only time will tell. As for my prediction, long live the Streak.

Prediction: Undertaker

Undertaker will win hands down to go 20 and 0. HBK will probably hit Sweet Chin Music on both Taker and HHH just to spice it up along with the Hell in a Cell. There will hopefully be SOME blood. If this is the end of an era, there should be some blood as there was a lot back in the Attitude Era.

This match should be watched by every guy in the back or anyone that wants to be a professional wrestler, as these two will put on a clinic of how to carry a match and pull the fans into their story.

The Streak could be one of the most overrated, and overhyped angle going on. So Taker has been booked to win every Mania since he was here. Most of his matches were horrid. Only the one with HBK a few years back was his only decent match.

And really, how anti-climatic it would be that of all people, Triple H aka The Doofus Son-In-Law, was the one the end it.

Don't care who wins as I don't really like either guy or the streak, but I think this will be an oldschool bloodbath with WWE lifitng the restrictions for one night. In the end Taker wins perhaps due to HBK stopping the match as he feels Triple H is too hurt to continue.

Really liked this match. The love fest in the end just screamed "Kliq jerkfest" because HBK likes to do these lovey dovey things. Would have rather had Taker help up HHH and then leave. No need to hold each other and walk out. O well, most people seemed to enjoy that part and that's all that mattered. The match itself was amazing. The SCM/Pedigree falsie got me. I was like "GOD DAMNIT FUCK YOU HHH" and then Taker kicked out and I was relieved. Great moment.

VERY disappointed they didn't take full advantage of the HITC. You know, the match that was supposed to change lives.

How are you going to have an "End of an era" match in the HITC if you're not going to utilize it.

Great match though. Last two years they had me believe that Triple H might actually END the streak...even though I knew better. That's good storytelling right there.

I think it may very well be one of the best matches I've seen in my entire life. Fucking awesome. 10/10. *****. I really believed HHH would do it the bit where he lined up a swing of the sledgehammer against Taker's head... Holy Shit I almost fell of my chair I was so close to the edge. I feel lucky to have watched it live and I genuinely envy all 73,000 people in the SunLife Stadium last night who saw it in the flesh.

This was one of the best matches I have ever seen. I honestly believe that this one might be better than HBK/Taker at WM 25. The false finish where HBK hit Taker with sweet chin music almost made me throw my remote through my TV. lol. It was a hell of a match, and if it's really Taker's last, he went out with a blaze of glory.

It was a real good match that should have been great. I was hoping to get some big blood spots but instead got what looked to be an accidental cut to Trips. The spinebuster on the steps and the sweet chin music into the pedigree where the two best spots of the night. I was hoping that Trips was going to slam Taker on the steps when he reversed hells gate but it wasn't to be.

There was enough recycling of events that played out in the first two Taker Michaels matches and last years match. It didn't bother me here because those matches were all great.

It was a real good match that should have been great. I was hoping to get some big blood spots but instead got what looked to be an accidental cut to Trips. The spinebuster on the steps and the sweet chin music into the pedigree where the two best spots of the night. I was hoping that Trips was going to slam Taker on the steps when he reversed hells gate but it wasn't to be.

There was enough recycling of events that played out in the first two Taker Michaels matches and last years match. It didn't bother me here because those matches were all great.
Basically you're upset because there wasn't gratuitous blood? Am I basically getting that right? You had convinced yourself that something was going to happen that wasn't ever going to happen (really) and you are upset about it. That's really it right? that you had convinced yourself "o no they'll both bleed buckets" and besides the fact that Taker's bruised back and HHH's hardway eyebrow told WAAAAAY more of a story than any phoney bologna blade job ever could, you REALLY hold that against it?

BTW, I'm FUCKIN PISSED that I didn't win the lottery. Pretty unlikely that I was ever going to, but GODDAMNIT that sure ruined my day.

Basically you're upset because there wasn't gratuitous blood? Am I basically getting that right? You had convinced yourself that something was going to happen that wasn't ever going to happen (really) and you are upset about it. That's really it right? that you had convinced yourself "o no they'll both bleed buckets" and besides the fact that Taker's bruised back and HHH's hardway eyebrow told WAAAAAY more of a story than any phoney bologna blade job ever could, you REALLY hold that against it?

BTW, I'm FUCKIN PISSED that I didn't win the lottery. Pretty unlikely that I was ever going to, but GODDAMNIT that sure ruined my day.

I agree - that amount of blood worked just right. It wasn't unrealistic and it added loads to the match. Its another example of less is more when it comes to bleeding.

Just out of curiosity, why couldn't H or Taker blade at Hell In A Cell, end of an era match at Wrestlemania 28 on PPV? Doesn't make sense.

Really loved the brutality used in the match to add the realism. As for blood, Triple H did get cut on his upper left eye. Shawn's involvement was great and his facial expressions were pure gold. He basically looked afraid and nauseous because of the beating both Taker and Hunter took. The finish was good too, but out of whack for me. Really thought Taker was going to walk away on his own and looking back at Hunter's beaten body in the ring and raising his fist in victory, just to signal the end of a era that way.

Was a a fantastic match, i already posted my thought in the Wrestlemania 28 afterthoughts thread but i will pose this question.

After the ending of this match, do you think it's the last time we will see the Undertaker?

Just the look of it looked like a guy that was saying farewell and soaking it all up. Was almost expecting a wave but i don't think that's his style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back