Best Hell In A Cell

I'll agree with you, if you can name me any match that had 3 better spots in it and that had the same emotion. No match in WWE ever set the bar that high. Those weren't just great moments they were mindboggling moments. The first bump could've ended the match or killed him, same for the second, but "the show must go on." And they continued to beat the shit out of one another. How much more suspense could've been built up? You really got the feeling that they were out to destroy one another and their rivalry was far more heated than Taker and HBK.......we're talking 3 years of feuding culminating in one of the most amazing matches of All-Time. It wasn't technical, and I'm a huge technical wrestling fan. But I also can appreciate heart, pride, and determination. You knew watching this match that everyone was breaking character, except Taker and Mankind - it made seem even more brutal that way. The refs, Funk, JR, everyone broke......but they kept going.

It was truly HELL In A Cell.......

Wrestling isn't JUST about spots, if it was, than Sabu would've been a 4 time WWE Champion by now! Fact of the matter was he sucked!!!

Now I have no problem with the standerds the match set, and the impact that it had! And to be honest, I have no problem watching it. But it was a spotfest, and nothing more. There was no suspense, it was just pure shock and awe when it happened! Their rivalry had run its course IMO, and was merely renewed just so 'Taker would have something to do until planting the seeds for the Austin angle, later that night.

I can appreciate the performance by Foley, and the fact 'Taker was able to be a pro and keep it going without breaking character. And I'll be the first to admit, that when people think "Hell in the Cell"...that's the first match that comes to mind!

That said however, it's not the best....

The best Hell in a Cell match has to be the original. It really set the standard so high for that match. Shawn Michaels and 'Taker put on a gem, which they almost always do, but. This is most likely the best match they've put on. Everything that you except from the Cell now came from this match. You had weapons being used, you had the Cell being used, you had each of them beating the hell out of each other with whatever they could find. Then on top of that you had them go on top of the Cell, and the spot of Shawn falling from the side of the Cell. Like I said, everything that we know and love about HIAC came from this match. And if we realize it or not we judge the rest of them by this match.

The next two I thought of were the 6 man Hell in a Cell. I know a lot of people say that this match was a clusterfuck, but I really enjoyed the match. As it had everything that I listed above. Then I really like the Triple H vs Shawn Michaels match. I while they didn't go outside the cell, they showed what you could do in side the Cell. It was the longest match up inside HIAC. As well as the ending, the fact that Trips had to hit three pedigrees on Michaels was nuts. Just an overall good match in my opinion.

Wrestling isn't JUST about spots, if it was, than Sabu would've been a 4 time WWE Champion by now! Fact of the matter was he sucked!!!

Now I have no problem with the standerds the match set, and the impact that it had! And to be honest, I have no problem watching it. But it was a spotfest, and nothing more. There was no suspense, it was just pure shock and awe when it happened! Their rivalry had run its course IMO, and was merely renewed just so 'Taker would have something to do until planting the seeds for the Austin angle, later that night.

I can appreciate the performance by Foley, and the fact 'Taker was able to be a pro and keep it going without breaking character. And I'll be the first to admit, that when people think "Hell in the Cell"...that's the first match that comes to mind!

That said however, it's not the best....

I'm sorry, but if I went by your thinking then I would have to lessen the greatness of the Razor/Shawn Ladder Match at WM X as well? Because that match is all spots too. Still I feel it's one of the best, why? Because it was innovative and separated itself from the ladder matches preceding it. It raised the bar, it's innovation is just like Taker/Mankind. If Michaels spots were anywhere as insane Foley's I don't think Shawn would've had been able to do much else that night. But it still would've been phenomenal.

3 things that had never been done in WWE were in one match. It raised the bar....it made the first HIAC look like a Pillow fight.

Try to the think what the WWE would've been like without the Razor/Shawn Ladder Matches......Then try to think where they would be without Foley and Takers HIAC or any of their feud for that matter.

I don't know about you, but watching Taker/HBK I never was concerned for either of them. Foley, I thought he was dead or paralyzed.

I'm sorry, but if I went by your thinking then I would have to lessen the greatness of the Razor/Shawn Ladder Match at WM X as well? Because that match is all spots too. Still I feel it's one of the best, why? Because it was innovative and separated itself from the ladder matches preceding it. It raised the bar, it's innovation is just like Taker/Mankind. If Michaels spots were anywhere as insane Foley's I don't think Shawn would've had been able to do much else that night. But it still would've been phenomenal.

They were spots sequenced in psychology, and used to tell a real story, and at every turn, something brilliant was happening! 'Taker/Mick was a three spot match, that was seperated over time. Were the spots brilliant? Yes. Were they mind blowing? Yes. Did they make an impact? Yes. But it was just those three spots alone. I must've seen that match a million times, and I'm not saying I'm not impressed by what Foley did, because believe me I am, but I just think that as a "match", Shawn/Taker, plus the now mentioned ladder match were better.

3 things that had never been done in WWE were in one match. It raised the bar....it made the first HIAC look like a Pillow fight.

I'll agree to a point, where that match raised a bar like no other! But it's not as if the WWF/E, has never had matches that didn't raise the bar in different instances and ways.

Try to the think what the WWE would've been like without the Razor/Shawn Ladder Matches......Then try to think where they would be without Foley and Takers HIAC or any of their feud for that matter.

All I'm trying to say is 'Taker/Shawn was a better MATCH! I'm not disagreeing about the breaking of new ground......

I don't know about you, but watching Taker/HBK I never was concerned for either of them. Foley, I thought he was dead or paralyzed.

We weren't supposed to be concerned, you missed the entire point of 'Taker/HBK, it was supposed to be us, being happy to watch a snarky little smartass, get his ass kicked, and bloddied up real good.

Shawn is my favorite wrestler, but I have to go with Undertaker vs. Mankind. That match was just insane. I don't think you could show anybody that match and they could still say that pro wrestling is fake. The match made Taker relevant and made Foley's popularity and respect sky-rocket. The best word that can be used to describe that match is breath taking.

Personally, I prefer HBK/Taker just like just about everybody else in this topic, but I can't deny that Taker/Foley is the best Hell in a Cell. As for HBK/Triple H, I think the match would have been much, much better if HBK had won. Capping the feud with the antagonist winning after he had just dominated the title scene in 2003 was just unsettling. I really felt like the face should have gone over at the end of the epic feud of betrayal.

Im going to go with majority on here and say Shawn vs Taker, this match just had such a great story and told a great story and had one of the best entrance ive ever seen. The match itself was very brutal even though they didnt use many weapons just a chair and the cell, but too me i think thats why it was so good, such a simple effect. The Bump shawn took was good as well and Kane coming in made it perfect.

Close Seconds are the Armageddon hell in a cell. I just love all the chaos in this match, all the blood and violence and especially that spot, with rikishi's fat ass going flying off the cell onto the truck, i also liked the suprise winner of Kurt Angle.

Shawn Michaels Vs Triple H was also another i absolutely loved, may have been my number one if shawn had won it, it was still a perfect way to one of the best fueds ive seen.

Tripl H vs Chris Jericho is also another favourite of mine, im not sure why but i just really like it, think its an awesome match, loved the finish, was the first and only time a match has ended on top of the cell.

All this talking about it has got me Really Excited for tonight, hopefully it will be amazing :D.

Best: Undertaker vs. HBK- You expect the first of something to be great and this match delivered. Both competitors were great and it was a good way for Kane to make his debut.

Favorite: Undertaker vs. Randy Orton- You knew it was going to be good when Taker busted Orton open five minutes into the match. Even though Orton lost, this still helped him recover from the damage of the previous year. One of the most overlooked Hell in a Cell matches.

Ya know, this one isn't my favorite Hell in a Cell, but I think a definite top contender has to be Bad Blood 2003 Triple H vs. Kevin Nash for the World Heavyweight Championship with Mick Foley as the guest referee. I just got done watching this one for the first time in probably several years, and this has to be one of the bloodiest Cell matches I've seen. At one point even Mr. Socko is bleeding! It was a bit slow and I guess that has to do with Kevin Nash's career being just slightly past it's prime, but certainly worth a look if you haven't seen it. They literally pulled every kind of weapon out from under the ring including a tool box, a ball peen hammer, and a screw driver. Triple H getting sling shotted into the corner with the barbed wire 2x4 was a pretty good spot too.

My fav HIAC has to be the one with Rock, Austin, HHH, Kurt Angle, Undertaker and Rikishi.
That was such a cool HIAC cos you had all the big stars.

Though the most memorable moment in any HIAC, which i am sure everyone will agree is when UT threw Mankind off the top.

The 1st. It was just a perfectly worked gimmick wrestling match. I see matches like Taker/HBK from IYH BB and say that's how you WORK a damn match! Perfect case of great ring psychology, pace and working the crowd into educating them on a great match. Foley/Taker was the sh*t! But take away the 2 big bumps and it's barley thought of now. Others I really like are Taker/Lesnar and Taker/Orton and Taker/Edge and for the exact reasons as I love the 1st HIAC Match the most. You dont need to take a ridiculous bump or get on top of the cell for it to be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back