• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wrestlemania 28: Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell in a Cell

I thought HHH vs Undertaker was awful. I apparently have a different opinion than others here, as I've briefly skimmed pages 18, 17, and 16 and saw multiple people say 'classic' or 'match of the year'. In my opinion, this match made no logical sense whatsoever - I was confused the entire time. I'll preface what I'm about to say with: I don't watch wrestling, I used to back in 1996-2003. This is the first WWE PPV I've ordered in over eight years.

I feel like I know the general gist of the storyline, Undertaker beat Shawn Michaels twice, and then HHH went to avenge him and lost, but it was somewhat of a moral victory because he did more damage to the Undertaker than vice versa. So this was about HHH doing what he knows he could have done, and Undertaker proving he couldn't be beaten by HHH. I'm not quite sure why Shawn Michaels was there, what his role was.

So this match made zero sense to me because HHH at one point is hitting Undertaker with a chair and Shawn Michaels keeps interfering, stopping him from further hurting Undertaker. Shawn keeps saying, 'Just pin him, do it already', so the implication is that HHH is being excessive when he's already won. Only thing is, HHH pins him and Undertaker kicks out, so HHH goes back to hitting him with the chair and Michaels interferes - why? What's the purpose here? I don't understand the logic. Michaels doesn't want HHH to excessively damage Undertaker, but it's already been established that Undertaker isn't done - so what the fuck?

So HHH is trying to convince Michaels to end the match because he is refusing to allow HHH to actually beat Undertaker so bad that he can win by pinfall - but Michaels won't do that either - what? He's conflicted, he doesn't want to do it. Taker puts Michaels in a submission for contemplating ending the match, later on Michaels super-kicks Undertaker - where's the fucking consistency? From what I gathered, Michaels was happy that he was the guest ref, but then he's in match portraying a character that's conflicted about what to do. There was no hesitance whenever there was a pinfall, it seemed like he was fine at that point with potentially ending the match in favour of either man - no consistency.

I thought the story was stupid - I didn't understand Michaels' motivation or his supposed conflict, there wasn't any consistency. If most of the match is going to be one person hitting the other with a chair, it needs to have a good storyline to back that up - I felt this didn't.

I'm starting this off by saying one thing: anyone, and I do mean *anyone* who thinks this match was aweful or bad ~ you need to seriously give your head a shake, because obviously your out of your mind and need to get back to it asap!

Salv ~ nothing against you and not to sound rude but if you haven't watched wrestling since 2003 what made you buy this one ppv? You obviously have not watched WWE in quite a long time and your assessment of the match had me shaking my head. Of course your entitled to your opinion, we all are, but if you haven't even kept up with any of the action over the past almost 10 years how can you make such (dare I say it) idiotic comments when you obviously don't have enough wrestling knowledge to assess the importance of the match? No harm no foul, just saying.

Now that's neither here nor there, obviously those of us who keep up with wrestling and who have loved these three superstars for all of these years know that this was THE match of the night! It was probably one of the best, if not THE best, HIAC matches ever and will be ranked up there forever as one of the all-time greatest matches in the history of Wrestlemania. The pure emotion, the entrances, Taker taking off his hood to reveal the new haircut (which to me made him look meaner/more menacing), the chair shots and sledgehammer shots, Shawn getting involved on a couple of occasions, the many near falls, the outcome and the respect at the end is something that absolutely one of us will ever see again in our lifetimes.

I cried at the end because of how beautiful it was to see the three embrace at the top of the ramp before leaving together ~ it showed true respect and admiration between all three men and was the most heartfelt ending to a match that I have ever seen in my life (yes I cried, I'm a chick don't hate) :p

ISalv ~ nothing against you and not to sound rude but if you haven't watched wrestling since 2003 what made you buy this one ppv? You obviously have not watched WWE in quite a long time and your assessment of the match had me shaking my head. Of course your entitled to your opinion, we all are, but if you haven't even kept up with any of the action over the past almost 10 years how can you make such (dare I say it) idiotic comments when you obviously don't have enough wrestling knowledge to assess the importance of the match? No harm no foul, just saying.

Now that's neither here nor there, obviously those of us who keep up with wrestling and who have loved these three superstars for all of these years know that this was THE match of the night! It was probably one of the best, if not THE best, HIAC matches ever and will be ranked up there forever as one of the all-time greatest matches in the history of Wrestlemania. The pure emotion, the entrances, Taker taking off his hood to reveal the new haircut (which to me made him look meaner/more menacing), the chair shots and sledgehammer shots, Shawn getting involved on a couple of occasions, the many near falls, the outcome and the respect at the end is something that absolutely one of us will ever see again in our lifetimes.

Your criticism about my post is fair, I stated I haven't actively watched wrestling in years because I thought it was relevant context. That being said, the entire problem I had with that match was that I didn't feel it made any logical sense. It's entirely possible I am just missing something that went over my head, but if that's the case can you explain why I am wrong?

From what I understand, the story is that Michaels is upset with HHH because it was Undertakers accusation that HHH was always worse than Shawn that motivated HHH to take the rematch. Michaels is also upset with Undertaker because he retired and threatened him.

My problem is that I felt the illustration of this conflict in the match wasn't done very well. He keeps interfering and telling HHH to pin Undertaker because Undertaker is 'done', yet HHH pins him and Taker kicks out, but when he goes back to beat on Undertaker, Michaels stops him - what? Why? He's clearly not 'done', he just kicked out, why would he have a problem with HHH beating the hell out of the Undertaker. It can't be that he doesn't want HHH to win because Michaels keeps pleading with Taker to just give up, so where's the logic there?

During the whole match there are a lot of near pinfalls, and Michaels shows no hesitation there with making the count, so it can't be that he's really concerned with who wins the match, or if it is, there isn't that consistent hesitation or concern throughout the match. That's my problem.

One thing in particular that nobody brought up.

In this match, there was NO Undertaker diving over the top rope & NO top rope walk.

Undertaker has done this in the last several Wrestlemania matches. I mean come on. How can you not do the top rope walk move at least. It's his signature. In fact if you think about it, the dive over top rope has become a staple with the Undertaker too.

I was very disappointed in not seeing those moves.

Hi,

Don't worry it's not a Triple H bash thread. Nothing against the guy, one of the top wrestlers to ever step a foot in a wrestling ring, but that doesn't mean I can't tell it like it is.

Most of you already watched Wrestlemania 28, if not, you should watch it because most of all Undertaker vs. Triple H - Hell in a Cell Match, and if you did watch you know what happened in the end...

After the Tombstone, Triple H was carried by Undertaker and Shawn Michaels in a show of respect for him, and the three hugged and almost like saying goodbye to the fans just like they advertised it as the end of an era. An era that had Michaels, Undertaker and Triple H as three of the top 6 guys (if you count Austin, Rock and Bret Hart, maybe Jericho...).

This thread is about a possibility and I'm taking a conclusing out of that possibility and the possibility is: If this is Undertaker's last match, don't you think that he should be the one that stands tall alone in the end? Undertaker has done it in the past time and time again, defeats their opponent and leaves. Of course I know it's a sign of respect for Triple H and makes sense to do it, but it's Wrestlemania, Undertaker's yard, everything about Undertaker in the last few years has been about Wrestlemania. Not about Summerslam, not about Friday Night SmackDown, not about anything else, it has been about Wrestlemania and his streak. And the man just beat Triple H twice and got 20-0 at Wrestlemania and to me if he retires doesn't make sense to end it like they did...

Should Triple H have a big send-off? Of course. I'm not attacking the guy. He should have a great RAW moment if he indeed retires after this match, but if he doesn't they shouldn't have done that ending. If it's Undertaker last match, it should be about him, about his career being over. Undertaker could return on RAW to hug Triple H and Shawn Michaels in a sign of respect for both of their careers but at Wrestlemania he should leave alone. After he leaves, Triple H could go to the back as "The Game" ecoes in the arena with Shawn Michaels carrying him to the back, no problem there. Undertaker got his moment and Triple H his....

So do you agree with me? If this was Undertaker's last match shouldn't he be the main focus? If it's Triple H last match wouldn't you think they would do something at RAW? And if it's not Triple H last match as I predict why would they end the match that way?

I absolutely loved this match. It was by far my favorite match of Wrestlemania. It gave me the most emotional reaction out of any match I ever watched. I admit I cried when Flair retired, but never during a match :blush:. The match just told an amazing story and I actually thought at times that Taker would lose.

The ending of the match has me convinced that Taker may now be retired.. He looked to be lingering and looked particularly emotional before he got down for his one kneed pose to me.. As much as I hate to think of The Undertaker retiring, I believe if he is retired now that this match may be the best "last match" that anyone could have.

Well, Shawn Michaels was at the top of the ramp too, so by your definition he stole the spot light from 'Taker as well. Then again, through kayfabe, Undertaker choose to carry Triple H to the top of the ramp. No, the spotlight wasn't stolen from anyone. In case you missed it, the match was dubbed The End of an Era match; an era which featured the three Superstars that were in that ring on Wrestlemania night. It wasn't being called Undertaker's last match. There hasn't even been word of 'Taker retiring this year. Just a bunch of internet rumors.

Personally, I don't buy into Undertaker retiring this year. If you ask me, he looked damn good in the ring on Sunday. He still has it. There's no doubt in my mind if the WWE had any knowledge of Undertaker retiring this year, they would have certainly advertised it. As for Triple H, there's no reason to retire any time soon. What's the point when you will undoubtedly be in the business working behind the scenes and close to the action for the rest of your life? Having the option to return to the ring when needed will make his job ALOT easier. End of an Era doesn't necessarily mean these three are ready for retirement. As Cole said, "we'll never see these three in the same ring again".

Im satisfied with the ending we got. If all 3 never appeared on TV ever again id still be happy.

But dont worry. WWE always gives massive send offs for the big names and Taker will get his eventually. HBK already had his so he's good. I dont even care if HHH gets one as i dont think he really needs it since he's going to be the head honcho soon when vince dies in the next couple years.

Well, Shawn Michaels was at the top of the ramp too, so by your definition he stole the spot light from 'Taker as well. Then again, through kayfabe, Undertaker choose to carry Triple H to the top of the ramp. No, the spotlight wasn't stolen from anyone. In case you missed it, the match was dubbed The End of an Era match; an era which featured the three Superstars that were in that ring on Wrestlemania night. It wasn't being called Undertaker's last match. There hasn't even been word of 'Taker retiring this year. Just a bunch of internet rumors.

Personally, I don't buy into Undertaker retiring this year. If you ask me, he looked damn good in the ring on Sunday. He still has it. There's no doubt in my mind if the WWE had any knowledge of Undertaker retiring this year, they would have certainly advertised it. As for Triple H, there's no reason to retire any time soon. What's the point when you will undoubtedly be in the business working behind the scenes and close to the action for the rest of your life? Having the option to return to the ring when needed will make his job ALOT easier. End of an Era doesn't necessarily mean these three are ready for retirement. As Cole said, "we'll never see these three in the same ring again".
I totally get the point you made. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that is Paul Levesque fault for the booking of the ending, I'm saying that in storyline the image that will stay in our memories won't be Undertaker winning but three hugging each other.

I have a lot of respect for the trio. I am really not sure if this is Undertaker's last Wrestlemania if it is, then, in my view, it should have ended differently. I wouldn't mind this ending at Monday Night RAW, not at all, made sense to end the era. But at Wrestlemania the spotlight should be on Undertaker.

Just like when Ric Flair retired at Wrestlemania 24, Shawn Michaels won, left, and then Ric Flair's music hit and he got his ovation. They could have the ovation for Undertaker and then for HBK and Triple H leaving together. Maybe doing the ending they did at RAW wouldn't hurt anyone as Undertaker had another victory at Wrestlemania, left and then came back one day after just to say goodbye and hug it out as friends that competed together for all these years...

One thing in particular that nobody brought up.

In this match, there was NO Undertaker diving over the top rope & NO top rope walk.

Undertaker has done this in the last several Wrestlemania matches. I mean come on. How can you not do the top rope walk move at least. It's his signature. In fact if you think about it, the dive over top rope has become a staple with the Undertaker too.

I was very disappointed in not seeing those moves.
Nitpicking at its finest here.

Who in the bluest of blue hell gives two shits of a rats ass whether or not Undertaker hits these two moves? When the match features as much storytelling as it did, why does it matter? What kind of fan just so happens to over look the emotion this match displayed. Not only did Undertaker actually hit the Old School maneuver early on during the match, how do you expect the Undertaker to hit his patented Swan Dive when there is a giant steel wall not five feet from the ring. This match was excellent; no need to nitpick at something that doesn't determine the quality of the match.

Undertaker always has the spotlight at every Wrestlemania. Wrestlemania for the last 5 years has been all about the streak.

Since Wrestlemania 24 every Wrestlemania has been built around the streak and the main focus has been the Undertaker.

Salvis i' ve an question for you.
Did Shawn false the match due to this many hesitations for to make the winner of this match.

Not sure what you're asking me here. Can you clarify?

I'm not sure if this answers your question, I think you're asking if I feel that Shawn Michaels' presence ruined what was otherwise a good match. To answer that, no, I don't even think the match itself was very good. I remember that the match very quickly turned into one hitting the other with the chair, which isn't exciting unless there's a good story. I thought the Undertaker versus HHH match from last year was great, that had good storytelling and a lot of that match was HHH beating Taker with a chair.

I have a lot of respect for the trio. I am really not sure if this is Undertaker's last Wrestlemania if it is, then, in my view, it should have ended differently. I wouldn't mind this ending at Monday Night RAW, not at all, made sense to end the era. But at Wrestlemania the spotlight should be on Undertaker.
The bolded part.

To me, the way Triple H, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels walked up the ramp proves this will not be the last Undertaker match we're going to see. I wouldn't hang onto the idea that this is the last we'll see of the Deadman especially given that we haven't heard anything official about it yet. The match was built as End of an Era, and that’s what I actually believe – not end of 'Taker, just an era. I'd bank on him staying with the WWE for another couple of years. I've said this a couple times on here, the Undertaker is in way better shape than most of us believe. If he wanted to retire this year, there's no way we wouldn't have had some kind of match stipulation or proper send off on Raw Monday; it certainly would have been included in the build up. So I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Honestly, who gives a shit? Undertaker has had plenty of spotlight moments.
Every Mania match with Undertaker is about him

You say you're not bashing Triple H, but you may not know it but you are. I bet you're one of those people who thinks he books himself to win titles also

Honestly, who gives a shit? Undertaker has had plenty of spotlight moments.
Every Mania match with Undertaker is about him

You say you're not bashing Triple H, but you may not know it but you are. I bet you're one of those people who thinks he books himself to win titles also
Yeah, totally. And read posts might be a good way to understand what people mean. ;)

So if you have had many spotlights moments in your career you don't need a last one sportlight moment? What the hell? Why did HBK get a send off like he did on RAW? Why did Ric Flair had it as well?

The bolded part.

To me, the way Triple H, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels walked up the ramp proves this will not be the last Undertaker match we're going to see. I wouldn't hang onto the idea that this is the last we'll see of the Deadman especially given that we haven't heard anything official about it yet. The match was built as End of an Era, and that’s what I actually believe – not end of 'Taker, just an era. I'd bank on him staying with the WWE for another couple of years. I've said this a couple times on here, the Undertaker is in way better shape than most of us believe. If he wanted to retire this year, there's no way we wouldn't have had some kind of match stipulation or proper send off on Raw Monday; it certainly would have been included in the build up. So I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Exactly, they wouldn't give the Undertaker a quiet ending. Chances are whenever his last Wrestlemania will be, he will be inducted into that Hall of Fame in that year. He comes out to pay respect to the fans on Raw weeks prior and gets his final challenge. You then have the Hall of Fame, Taker for the last time defending the streak (and people questioning if he still has it etc) and the big payoff at Wrestlemania.

I think people read too much into this 'End of an Era' line, if anything its the end of the era of these guys fighting each other. The whole HHH/HBK/Undertaker storyline has come to an end but the chances are this is not the last of either HHH (who has the JL storyline to conclude yet) or Undertaker.

It's not Taker's last match, if anything it's Hunters, that's what the era ending means. If you listen to what Taker said to Shawn a few weeks ago on RAW "I will defeat Triple H in the cell, the streak will continue and I will officially end an era".

The implication that the streak will continue tells me that he will defend it again next year. After 22 years as Vince's most reliable performer, do you really think he's going out sharing the spotlight in the third match of the night if it's his final appearance

I think reddevil69 hit the nail on the head.

The way they billed as END OF AN ERA,would lead you to believe that one of the 2 combatants had their final match.

This could have been Hunter's final match,NOT retirement,BUT his final in ring battle.

How many matches has HHH had since last year's mania?

He could be transitioning to the role Vince had onscreen as the big head honcho.

IMO that will suck,because that makes Cena the likely contender to break Flair's 16 title reign record.

I thought they would've given that honor to HHH,other than Orton..who is as close as Cena?

I definitely don't think it's 'Taker's last match - I think it was one of his best tho! To be honest, and some may disagree with this, I think that match stole the show and I dare say is the match of the year. I love how it was completely buried on Raw to focus on Rock and Cena. I understand that logistically speaking but I'm a die hard Undertaker fan so it makes me mad still :>)

I think Wrestlemania 29 is going to be 'Taker's last match and I think Wrestlemania 30 will go back to the main event being about one of the world titles (personally, I'm hoping they'll unify them at Wrestlemania 30).

And good LORD willing I'll be there at MetLife Stadium! :>)

agree with just about everybody, won't be 'Taker's last match. No doubt he will still be feeling beat up right now, but I'm sure this arrangement suits him quite well. I would imagine his payday for Mania would be ridiculous. All he does currently is start making appearances in the 2 months before Mania, have his match, and then disappear for 9 months.

I thought he looked in great shape. I can see him going till WM30. Not sure on oppents for next year, maybe Brock?

I do think it just was the end of an era, with those 3 in the ring. I have no clue how he is feeling, but HHH still looks in great shape, I'm sure he xcould go for a while if he wanted to.

Not about Summerslam, not about Friday Night SmackDown, not about anything else, it has been about Wrestlemania and his streak. And the man just beat Triple H twice and got 20-0 at Wrestlemania and to me if he retires doesn't make sense to end it like they did...

People apparently forget that they fought at Wrestlemania X-7 in Houston. HHH will be remembered, at least for me, as one of the best superstars in WWE history but also the man who lost THREE TIMES to Taker at WM. Congratulations HHH. If HHH can't beat Taker after three tries and a HIAC match then no one can, end of story.

If this wasn't Takers last match (and I don't think it was) then who is out their that can give him a worthy match to go out on? Cena......doesn't make sense....Jericho....he's good but not worthy of sending Taker off......Punk....not even close.....Kane...maybe. I think Kane vs Taker in a casket match next year as his retirement match. To me, it's the only ending left that makes sense. Kane is the only superstar out their worthy enough to send him off, also the brother story line would make sense in a "last match" situation too. Thoughts?

If this wasn't Takers last match (and I don't think it was) then who is out their that can give him a worthy match to go out on? Cena......doesn't make sense....Jericho....he's good but not worthy of sending Taker off......Punk....not even close.....Kane...maybe. I think Kane vs Taker in a casket match next year as his retirement match. To me, it's the only ending left that makes sense. Kane is the only superstar out their worthy enough to send him off, also the brother story line would make sense in a "last match" situation too. Thoughts?

Just like Flairisoverrated put it about HHH, Kane has faced taker twice and lost both times at WM, I have been a fan of Undertaker's since 1990 and his legacy is the streak there will be nothing like it ever again.

If he wrestles two more years or even three more year he would be at 49 or 50 years old and he's not in great shape but he's not in bad shape now last year at WM I thought he would have retired I swore they had a Oxygen tank and mask on the cart for him It was a shocking and sad site when they had to cart him out of the arena to the back.

Thoughts? Yea... you spewed a lot of non-sense in that statement. When you said it didn't make sense for Cena - the face of the f*cking company - to challenge The Undertaker at WrestleMania, I figured you were just a Cena hater unwilling to acknowledge his place a top the WWE. When you failed to even mention Brock Lesnar as a potential WrestleMania 29 opponent, I just considered your entire thread to be nonsensical.

But don't worry. You aren't the only person on this thread to spew nonsense. In fact, most people have. I mean honestly. The entire point of this thread is about Triple H stealing the spotlight from The Undertaker, and it assumes this was The Undertaker's last match. One poster mentions that Flair and HBK got big send-offs, but - if this was 'Taker's last match - then our lasting image is of him hugging Triple H and HBK a top the ramp.

Think about it for a second. The Undertaker - and Triple H, as well - are legendary figures in the WWE. If this was their final match, then don't you think the WWE would've spelled it out for you? Do you really believe the WWE would let either one of them retire through the vagueness of an "End of the Era" moniker to their match? No.

And that's the issue here. You guys are reading WAY too much into that moniker. The point of calling it the "End of an Era" was that 'Taker and Triple H are the last men standing from The Attitude Era. This match was billed as the final time two men from that era would square off against one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back