Wrestlemania 27 - Edge (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio - World Heavyweight Championship

It's setting up for Del Rio to win (Which is a good thing). We saw on Smackdown that Edge just got his arm re-injured by Del Rio in the storyline which is a significant disadvantage at Mania for Edge.

Firstly, @Gameover - Edge doesn't choose when or to whom he wins or drops a title to. Only maybe Trips and Taker currently have the leverage to influence things like that. Cena might, but he's only got to where he is by being Vince's bitch.

OK, onto main point: Yes, Edge is at the stage where putting younger guys over might be he primary role, but he remains one of the few bona fide main eventers that draw, especially on SD!. What counts against him more, and inclines me to think ADR will win is that a) recent history normally has a mix of heel and face champs walking out WM and as JC is a nailed certainty to win the WWE title, that increases the chances of Edge dropping the strap; b) of even more relevance is once you make it know you're even contemplating retiring in the forseable future, creative seems loathed to keep the strap on you. Hence why Mysterio and Taker (I realise he's been injured) now, as well as Jericho and HBK in the 12-18months prior to their departures were not in the title picture.

If creative believe Edge is serious about not having a long term commitment to the company then he'll drop the strap. If it is not an issue, it will come down to whether financial returns from cementing ADR are expected to be greater than the hit to things like merchandise from indicating Edge is, ironically, on a 'Downward Spiral'. One thing in ADR favor here is that Mystico, and his history with the then Dos Caras, should compensate for any drop in the Latino market from the additional sidelining and eventual departure of Mysterio.

In end, this is a business, and champanion or not, Edge will collect a nice bonus and a health salary until he calls it time, which makes the result at WM, for him at least, irrelevant. PV

What I'm more annoyed about is that the World Heavyweight Title might change hands AGAIN at the event. It's only been successfully defended TWICE since it came to be in Sept. 2002. (Triple H did it at 19 then 7 years later (last year) Jericho defended it successfully). So for 6 straight years the title changed hands.

The argument that the WHC has changed hands several times for another reason why Edge will lose. Wrestlemania is aplace where the top Championship changes hands very often.After Hogan successfully defended the title at Wrestlemania 3 it Changed hands every year til Wrestlemania 11 and every year after til Wrestlemania 16. The Fact that from Wrstlemania 3 to Wrestlemania 18 the title was only successfully defended twice is often forgotten.

I wouldn't mind bing in Edge's position. If you were told you would defend the WHC title 4 straight years at the biggest show but lose every time you would jump at the oppurtunity.

Listen man, you need to watch the documentary called the True Story of WrestleMania, it's on Instant Cue on Netflix.

It's not about winning or losing at Mania. It's about putting on the best performance of your life. You step into the arena and feel the energy from the fans and it pushes you to do the best. Edge has never had a bad Mania.

So what if he loses? He's still a for sure Hall Of Famer. He's probably the most willing to put somebody over (besides maybe Cena). He just wants to be there. It's his dream to perform, and dropping the title is sometimes seen in as good of a light as getting the title; unless you have an amazing ego like Bret Hart or Hulk Hogan.

And Kaneanite, you're right. Two heels have never won the main events. In fact, the face usually wins and sends the fans home happy (minus WM17, arguably the industry's biggest shocker).

Also- Marcos555--- SHUT THE HELL UP. You obviously have no idea what you're complaining about.

Yes, Cena has been in the world title picture since WM21, big whoop.

Hogan was in the main event for EIGHT of the first NINE WMs, and SEVEN of them were for the WWF Championship.

HHH has been in the main event at WM since WM 16. That's 10 Wrestlemanias (he was injured at WM23), and he's going on his 11th. And 9 of them were in the main event (I don't count his match with Sheamus as a main event). And 8 of those matches were for the WWF/E/WHC titles.

So bitch all you want about Cena not leaving the title picture. He has earned his way into those matches. He's a draw. Just like HHH and Hogan.

And.. I don' really see this as a problem, he will start putting guys over at this point in his career. I believe he was actually undefeated at Mania before his loss against Taker..

Triple H has lost many wrestlemania matches he has been in, same with the rock, lost twice to Austin.. I think maybe you're just looking into it a bit too much..

For the guy who answered my post, im not saying that it is a bad thing!!
Its just a prediction for what is expecting to The Miz, its impossible to make The Miz win straight agaisnt Cena in a singles match at WrestleMania!!

Actually a lot of people are predicting Miz to win. It'd be a shocker since he's been on the backburner in this feud between Rock and Cena.

I like John Cena ******ed!!! I am not being a hater dumbass, im just saying that there are more people that need the Main Event push, besides the face of WWE!!

What's the purpose of having a face of a company if they aren't putting him in the main event?

And WWE's creative are so bad, that we are going to see the same story again!!

Idk about you, but I've never seen Miz vs Cena at WrestleMania with the Rock in the middle.

Oh and i have said once, and i repeat again!!
Fuck Old School, Fuck Hogan, Fuck Hart, Fuck the old guys, im new, i didnt saw the lame wrestling and im proud of that!!

Way to contradict yourself. You say you don't give a fuck about old school, but you're pissed off that we're seeing repeating storylines?

if you put Hart vs Barreta, i will chose any day Barreta!!

You'd pick a Superstars regular over one of the top draws in the history of the industry?

SO SHUT UP YOU, YOUR ASSFACE AND RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE OPINION!!!
Fucking asshole!!!

Look, I get that you're mad, but PLEASE learn how to insult before you embarrass yourself.

Christian won his cage match with Del Rio! He has a tag match with Edge on Raw... will he turn on Edge and try to get himself into the WHC match at WrestleMania?

You might remember what I said last time I came in this thread. Erm, actually, "said" isn't really the right word. I used my mathematical genius to come up with an equation:

Well, Edge is, you know, Edge. Yes, by that I mean he's just a bit shit. He has less chemistry with anyone on the roster than I do with women. That's less than zero. He's into negative chemistry. Del Rio, I've just about made my peace with him. I think he's alright. The crowd obviously doesn't. I mean, I'm not about to tell you he's good. That'd be a bit mental. Them facing each other? It's hardly going to be the main event, is it? And it just might be enough to create a literal blackhole of crowd interest and destroy our solar system.

That's algebra, folks.

Now, this was mathematically sound. Take it from somebody that got a B in GCSE maths. I can even do fractions and decimals and simultaneous equations and shit. However, even maths couldn't account for one thing; Alberto Del Rio is a warlock.

The guy, by taping up his hand (with magic tape, presumably) and disheveling his hair (with magic, um, hair disheveler), has become a good ten times more interesting to me. To the point that I think he actually has chemistry with Edge. Not even I, the mathemagician, saw that one coming.

From having a surprising rapport with both Edge and Christian to adopting Brodus Clay as his, I dunno, protégé or something, Del Rio seems to have pulled something out of his ass that I just didn't see before. It's not the IWC's cock, because that's still firmly lodged in there.

Alberto Del Rio has done something that even light can't do - escaped from beyond the event horizon. The crafty fuck.

Alberto Del Rio is a warlock.

Sigged. Because that post just made my day.

On topic, I think Del Rio is taking away the belt. We have no confirmation that Christian is entering the match just yet, and Edge has had a long - by his standards - title run. I can't see them killing the push Del Rio's got at Wrestlemania, not when they can keep the Christian-Del Rio-Edge feud going past it. :shrug:

Christian won his cage match with Del Rio! He has a tag match with Edge on Raw... will he turn on Edge and try to get himself into the WHC match at WrestleMania?

I hope not. I want to see a one on one title match at mania. Ever since Christian came back I've been worried they were going to turn this into a triple threat. Each week that goes by without the match being changed is a good sign. Although I don't want Christian in the match, I could definitely see him getting involved. Instead of turning on Edge and trying to get in the mania match I see him turning on Edge to cost him the title. Christian isn't going to have anything else to do at mania so I could see a big moment where Christian turns on Edge setting up a feud for the spring.

I really hope, that this doesn't become a triple threat. Don't do it, Edge and Del Rio is a fine match. They'll put on a show, and the crowd are way into Edge as of late. They'll cheer him and boo Del Rio all the way back across the border. These two will and can put on a good match, and the build is going well. Nothing has to be changed, we don't need Christian in the match. Del Rio has earned a one on one match at WrestleMania, keep it that way. Yeah Del Rio and Christian have history, let them fight after Mania. Have the triple threat at Extreme Rules, not at Mania. I'm one of the people who don't believe Christian will EVER be a World Champion. He isn't and shouldn't be in this match.

Del Rio has earned a one on one match at WrestleMania, keep it that way.

Thanks for that perspective. Very good points you guys make. I had a similar feeling at WrestleMania 20 for Chris Benoit. He won the Royal Rumble to earn a one on one at WrestleMania with the champ. I was felt a bit of sympathy for the Benoit in the Triple Threat situation, but he still won the match, so no harm, and it was a great competition.
So what if they do something similar this year? Would it be a consolation if Del Rio won a triple threat match?

I'm kinda on the boat for a triple threat match. Christian has earned it and is very over with the fans and it will create an interesting 9 time title holder friend vs the one that didn't get the chance vs the up and comer. Del Rio still has time but I hope Edge does not retain if this happens because the WWE will be able to push Christian or Del Rio into their own feud. Which has the potential to be a great feud.

What bothers me is that people criticize Christian for not being a draw. He has a massive fanbase and there seems to be a movement to get him to become champ. They say that Christian as champ wouldn't draw without Edge.

Would a buy a PPV with Christian vs. Del Rio for the title? Yes. How about Christian vs. Miz? Christian vs. Morrison? You could take Christian and have him face nearly anybody and I would get behind that event because that's how excellent of a worker Christian is. Imagine if Danielson got drafted to Smackdown and challenged Christian for the WHC. I would buy that PPV AND I would buy a ticket to see that event! Christian draws me, that's for sure.

I am just hoping that Christian IS the guy that is Del Rio's first challenger if Del Rio wins at Wrestlemania. I would definitely get behind that 110%. Christian doesn't need to face Edge to draw me. To me, in modern times, Edge = Bret and Christian = Owen. Edge was one of the biggest draws in the business but Owen found a way to entertain me more than Bret. IMO Owen > Bret. I'll watch a Christian match over an Edge match any day of the week. IMO Christian > Edge.

I would much rather Christian and Del Rio feud for the WHC on their own. But WM without Christian? But where else could you put him besides a triple threat? That is the dilemma.

If WWE expects to draw they better put Christian in this match. Lets get now one thing clear. Del Rio, I would argue is probably the best of the new talent to come out off the WWE system in a long time. He is my personal favorite of the new group of stars getting pushed and I look forward seeing him work his craft every week. With that said, I think a few too many people here and around the IWC are buying into Alberto's hype a little too much. So the guy is a big star in Mexico and in some parts of the world. It's obvious that's part of the reason he is as good a talent as he is. But the guy is in the top fed in the world now and when you think about what he has done thus far since he has debuted, he resume isn't really all that impressive for him to be in the position he is in. I now this guy is going to be a big star, he pretty much has all the goods but WWE is once again moving way too fast with his push. Del Rio hasnt been in the WWE more than 7 or 8 months and the only big wins he can put on his belt are Mysterio and Kofi. Thats a good step but I dont that is enough to putting somebody over to the point where thgey actually look like a legitimate contender in a wrestlemania title match.

Edge and Del Rio should deliver a good match but on paper the match is pretty weak. Edge is an 11x champion. Del Rio isnt even a mainstay in the main event. His first singles match on ppv was last month, that's pretty bad booking. Winning the rumble and being in a title match at WM this early in his career is a big risk because he really hasn't been around long enough for WWE to know if they should truly invest in him 100%.

He will get experience from this but he does not need to win the WHC. It wont hurt him, if he doesnt win, he is only getting started. If he performs well, he can add a significant match to his resume. WWE should take the tim to get him in more big stortylines and feuds. If he delivers in his matches and continues to improve, when he does win the strap, he will be taken as a legit contender.

Besides that because he is so new, he is not going to draw the same way a guy who is well known and is a household name like Edge or Christian can. This is wrestlemania. Edge vs Christian is WM worthy. ADR vs Edge is a good match but is not WM material. Christian has been so injected into this feud it is pointless not to have him in it, unless he is going to screw Edge somehow. Storyline it actually adds more depth to the match because ADR and Christian's feud is so personal.

WWE should do the safe thing and add Christian. If he can wrestle, why are leaving such a big name off the card. Del Rio is not going to draw, like Edge vs Christian would, and that is based off history that was relavant 10 years ago. If anything ADR should lose and really get heavily involved in a feud with Christian, which perhaps should lead to him coming out on top. Christian should get a run with the WHC too though, he has earned it.

"It's also being said that the planned Edge vs Alberto Del Rio Championship match is likely to be made a triple threat match with Christian being added to the bout. That decision is expected to be made within the next few days."

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/art...-plans-for-wmania-hhhtaker-edgedel-rio-126591

Lets get right to it shall we? :)

Christian is now scheduled to be in the match against Del Rio and Edge. I for one am not a Christian follower but I have seen the pop and his charisma and his wrestling ability. He has the full package to finally main event Mania. Maybe this is when Christian finally takes charge.

Thoughts?

It's entertaining to hear him speak sure. But he won't win here - I guess it's the 'E giving him something to do seeing as there is no MITB this year at Mania.

I remember when he main evented Vengeance 2005, everyone had high hopes for him being a main eventer - but look what happened there months after that....Here's hoping he gets into the main event a bit more now, this could be the start of something good and fresh for smackdown :)

Plus, it can't hurt the match. Triple threat matches at mania are always fun to watch {Orton/Angle/Rey, HHH/Benoit/Michaels etc}.

Nooooooooo!!!! Fuck! I hope this is pure especulation, like Da Prophet said, if the E wants so bad to have Christian involed in this feud, let it be AFTER Mania. I think that this will be a waste of time if he is added. I mean right after the Rumble, WWE was developing the Edge/Del Rio feud, wasting NO time.

There is basically two weeks before Mania, and all the build up thrown by the window? As far Wrestlemani concerns, Christian has nothing to do with the WHC match. Plus, this is the kind of move we see for a weak PPV/maint event. Imo, neither is the case.

If the WWE does include Christian in this match, they have officially killed it. Christian's issue is with Alberto Del Rio, so why is he suddenly going to get a title shot out of it when ADR isn't the champ? Why not include CM Punk in the WWE match since he doesn't like John Cena?

If anything, I see Christian's presence as an improvement. It'll just make the match better. Christian is someone that's long since deserved to be in the main event picture so yeah, I don't see any legit downside here. Hopefully, he'll be added into the mix at the SD! tapings this week. Since Christian's return to SD! a few weeks ago, he's been heavily involved in his own little side grudge with Del Rio so I think it makes perfect sense.

I'm with Jack-Hammer. This feud/match doesn't feel like a big deal. I blame creative (as usual) for being..uncreative. However, I can't remember the last time Edge had a great match, so I think the one-on-one scenario is a bit of a liability, especially for a World title at Mania.

I think Edge can still have a great match, but Del Rio is still somewhat unproven in the WWE. He's had some pretty solid contests with Rey Mysterio, but they're close in size, and Rey is always entertaining. Adding Christian to the mix take some pressure away from Edge and Del Rio.

If this is the direction they're headed in, I wish they had taken this route weeks ago. Possibly built up some friction between Edge and Christian as well. They still have time to do that, and I hope they do (if a triple threat match is really in the works). I'm hoping for a triple threat match, definitely.

I really hope Christian is involved. I have been waiting a long time to see him involved in the World Title scene, and he certainly deserves a shot at the belt.

I have so little interest in Edge right now. He has been around the title for fuckin years, he has main evented a couple of WM's and I think its time someone else got an opportunity. I have yet to really warm to Del Rio. I think he has potential but he has yet to convince me yet. I don't really have much interest in the match as a 1-on-1 but if Christian is involved, it is only going to improve things.

I am a Peep and I will love it if the CLB can walk out of WM with the title. I don't think he will, I reckon Del Rio will win it, but I would love it to be Christian.

Del Rio winning the Rumble was a complete shock, but the build for this feud has been kind of lackluster. This feud just feels like it's just been dragging along for the past couple of months, and I can't say I'm too excited to these to go at it.

As far as the Christian stuff goes, I don't know if I can believe it. I am one of those people who would love to see Christian be involved in the World Heavyweight Championship picture, and I would go nuts if he actually won the strap. Christian has what it takes to be a World Champion, but I don't think WWE wants to put him on that level. His run as ECW Champion is the closet he's come to any type of major spotlight since his return, and I just don't think he's going to be involved in the match at Mania.

I do think Del Rio will walk away with the gold at Mania. Smackdown needs to build up a main event heel, and having Del Rio become World Heavyweight Champion at Wrestlemania would be a perfect way to do that.

I think Christian adds to the match and it makes you wonder what role he will play. Will he be in the corner of Edge, or be apart of a Triple Threat match? Either way I think ADR will come away with the WHC. They went to a great amount of trouble to build him up as a main event heel on Smackdown! to not put the belt on him. I don't think it will be the best match on the card, but I do think it will be worth watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back