Why is it so right to bash Christianity?

The Insano Shiekh

Certified Mother Lover
In this world we live in, more specifically our country, a lot of people are Christians in a variety of church forms and beliefs, and yet, every single denomination has one thing in common- They're always getting bashed. It's perfectly fine to say that God is Fake or that Jesus never lived, and yet when we (Christians) stand up for ourselves we are looked upon as stubborn and narrow-minded. And then, when we try to put off the undeniable facts that can be proven about their God having no power, it's always wrong and "racist" in religion style. God isn't fake, just so you all know, and I'm not going to be open-minded because I know he isn't. This really isn't directed to anyone on the forums because I haven't seen it, but just a tip, before you go bashing on a faithful and proved religion, don't get sensitive when someone bashes your statues. Just saying.

No religion should be bashed. The reason why is because it really doesn't matter. I cannot understand why somebody cares whether somebody else believes they will go to heaven/hell or not after they die. I don't believe in heaven but I wouldn't bash somebody else who does believe in heaven (not for their beliefs anyway), because I honestly don't care what other people think happens after they die.

However a major problem I have with religion is how people who are religious feel the need to make it known that they are religious and how everybody else should be religious too. Things such as national prayer days, which I think are garbage. Do you really need to know that other people believe in the same god as you? Does that make you feel better? (sorry for the rant)

I myself am a former atheist. Since then I have come to the decision that none of us have any possible way of knowing whether god, multiple gods, higher power, or spirits exist, or whether they don't. But I do think that when I die it's gonna be the same as it was before I was born - nothingness.

So why should it bother me that somebody else thinks we go to heaven/hell when we die? It shouldn't matter to me at all, and it doesn't. You are right that Christians should not be bashed. No religious person should have their beliefs bashed, unless you are one of the idiots who preaches hate and uses your religion to justify it.

What you think happens after you die is your own business. Nobody should give a crap whether other people think the same thing as you. Unfortunately the world disagrees with me, as evidenced by so many holy wars

I don’t think Christians are the only ones that get bashed. There are a lot of religions out there that get bashed because of what they believe in. The problem is, that I don’t think anyone actually sits down and researches other religions. I am Catholic but one thing that bothers me is when people just flat out say “God does not exist because there isn't any proof”. That isn’t what this is about. It’s not about whether or not there is proof there is a God. It’s about believing that there is one.

Like kid’s believing in ‘Santa Clause’. The thing is, it’s all about what you believe and people should respect other religions. I’m not going to force my religion on anyone else. If someone does not believe in “God” then that is there right, but they also should be understanding and listen to those that do and respect them as well. It goes both ways.

I choose to believe in God. I also choose to believe in Heaven and Hell because that is what I was taught while growing up.

Does God Exist?

In my world he does. He helps me get through the day. He keeps me safe. He helps me get through the hard time and helps me find peace with myself.

I say defend your religion all you want but don’t force your opinions and views down people throats and make them believe something that they don’t want to believe. If you are not ready to hear and learn all the different religions out there then I don’t understand why people will discuss this.

That’s my view, take it or leave it.

This thread should end well...

As far as bashing Christianity, don't you think they've earned it? I mean, MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people have been slaughtered in the name of Christianity. Why shouldn't people feel free to bash the Christian religion?

Christians have spent the better part of the last 1000 years bashing anyone who didn't believe what they did, I think it's fair to tolerate a little abuse back at them. Especially given the massive scandals, the money that has corrupted the Church, not to mention the Catholic priest scandals...I think there is plenty to criticize.

I disagree slyfox.

2 wrongs don't make a right.

If you bash Christians then in my opinion you are just as bad and guilty of it.

The fact is that no one should be bashing any religion.

It's as simple as that.

Also what is this labeling everyone together?

Not all Christians act that way.

Every religion gets bashed. There are just a lot of Christians or people that claim to be Christians in America where it more or less was the national religion since the inception of the country. Like Sly said, you have people that will do anything in the name of Christianity even though it may go completely against the basics of what is taught by the Bible. This happens in every religion and always has/will. Do you think every Muslim believes that 9/11 was right and in the name of Allah? Of course not. Do you think every Christian agrees with what others do? Of course not. Christianity is bashed because it's the most common religion in this country. If another religion was as popular, it would be bashed just as much.

I disagree slyfox.

2 wrongs don't make a right.
Using that logic, the Christian religion hasn't been right for thousands of years. Why should we be kind to those who are wrong?

If you bash Christians then in my opinion you are just as bad and guilty of it.
Why? Hell, if you want to look at it from a purely spiritual point of view, you should question the faith. Being a blind sheep is never a good thing.

The fact is that no one should be bashing any religion.
Why not? What makes religion untouchable? You do realize that religion itself is more of an impediment to true spirituality than it is of assistance, right?

Slyfox

1. This isn't about being right. In Religion there isn't a right or wrong, it's about believing. I thought you were smart enough to know that, I guess not.
There isn't a right or wrong in religion? Since when? You do realize that runs directly against what the Christian religion has taught for millennia, right? Of course there's a right and wrong.

If I started the Church of Matt Damon, and claimed the only way to salvation was through anal sex with horses, would I not be wrong? That's silly. Of course there is right and wrong.

What you REALLY mean to say is that humans don't know what is right and what is wrong. Christians think they are right, other religions disagree.

2. Because if you have the nerve to complain and whine about Christians bashing and yet you go ahead and just bash them as well, then you are just as guilty of it. I don't have to question anything, I'm fine believing what I am believing, maybe your having a hard time with this because you have doubts about your own faith? so you have to degrade other people beliefs?
What am I guilty of? You say I'm guilty...of what? Of taking Christians to task for nonsensical beliefs and their stubborn attachment to them? Sure, I do that. Why? Because Christianity is no different than any other religion, despite Christians insistence, by its very design, that it is so.

And I don't have a hard time with my faith, I know EXACTLY what I believe. The difference is I don't need a religious sect to tell me how to believe, or interfere in my belief system. If you do, fine, but don't get offended if I tell you how silly it is.

3. I didn't say it was untouchable, I said there are ways to state your opinions and views about religion without being a idiot and offending others, it's called respect.
And as I said, respect is given when it's earned, and Christianity has yet to do anything to have earned that respect.

What's the point in belonging to a religion anyways? You do realize there are three major reasons religion exists, right? Two of which were for corrupt purposes, and the other is now outdated. Religion itself serves no practical purpose.

Spirituality, I have no problem with. Religion on the other hand, deserves to die. You can believe in God, without belonging to a religion.

Slyfox

1. This isn't about being right. In Religion there isn't a right or wrong, it's about believing. I thought you were smart enough to know that, I guess not.

2. Because if you have the nerve to complain and whine about Christians bashing and yet you go ahead and just bash them as well, then you are just as guilty of it. I don't have to question anything, I'm fine believing what I am believing, maybe your having a hard time with this because you have doubts about your own faith? so you have to degrade other people beliefs?

3. I didn't say it was untouchable, I said there are ways to state your opinions and views about religion without being a idiot and offending others, it's called respect.

1. Again can you please stop labeling everyone together? Again, no it's not about right or wrong, when people defend there religion, they are defending what they believe in.

2. The issue is that is not what you claimed in your original post, you claimed that Christians deserve to be attacked which is wrong because that is like saying any people who defend there religion deserves to be attacked as well.

3. Respect is earned and right now your not earning respect, by being a idiot. Judging all Christian because you happen to not agree with what they believe in?

Why should people respect you when you don't respect there religion?

1. Again can you please stop labeling everyone together? Again, no it's not about right or wrong, when people defend there religion, they are defending what they believe in.
No, I will label everyone together, because that's what you're doing. This is an argument of religion vs. anti-religion. You fall on the religion side, I don't.

So, you can defend what you believe in, but I can't? How does that make sense? I have just as much right to express my belief on religion as you do.

2. The issue is that is not what you claimed in your original post, you claimed that Christians deserve to be attacked which is wrong because that is like saying any people who defend there religion deserves to be attacked as well.
No, I said they've earned the attacks they get.

3. Respect is earned and right now your not earning respect, by being a idiot. Judging all Christian because you happen to not agree with what they believe in?
You don't understand what my position is, and you're calling me an idiot? Go back and read what I've said.

I don't judge you because you're a Christian, I mock Christianity itself. And I mock you because you cling to the nonsense the religion professes. I mean, do you actually know anything about the Christian religion? Like, more than Jesus was the son of God?

Why should people respect you when you don't respect there religion?
Why should I respect the Christian religion, when they have never respected anyone else?

In this world we live in, more specifically our country, a lot of people are Christians in a variety of church forms and beliefs, and yet, every single denomination has one thing in common- They're always getting bashed.

Every religion gets bashed not just Christians, Muslims get bashed more than any religion in America right now and get discriminated against in every way. I don't know you personally but I'd feel rather comfortable saying that you have seen a Muslim and thought of a towl head or Osama, something along those lines. People bash religions because of what people in that religion have done in the past, it's not just religions though, when you think Germans I bet a red flag with a swastika pops into your head. Again I'm generalizing since I don't know you personally.

It's perfectly fine to say that God is Fake or that Jesus never lived, and yet when we (Christians) stand up for ourselves we are looked upon as stubborn and narrow-minded.

Well half the time someone tries to defend their religion they just get pissy and won't listen to the other side of the debate. That's stubborn, at least that's what Webster says.

And then, when we try to put off the undeniable facts that can be proven about their God having no power, it's always wrong and "racist" in religion style.

There are no undeniable facts about God, none. The Bible was written by men and changed more times than imaginable. But what you're basically saying is you are trying to prove someone elses beliefs wrong? Am I right?

God isn't fake, just so you all know, and I'm not going to be open-minded because I know he isn't.

Did you just contradict yourself? I can't really tell what you're going for here.

This really isn't directed to anyone on the forums because I haven't seen it, but just a tip, before you go bashing on a faithful and proved religion, don't get sensitive when someone bashes your statues. Just saying.

What is proven about any religion? Isn't the premise of God and heaven about beliefs not facts? Also you're telling people not to bash your religion because you want to bash theirs?

I'm Catholic BTW in case you wanted to know.

As far as bashing Christianity, don't you think they've earned it? I mean, MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people have been slaughtered in the name of Christianity. Why shouldn't people feel free to bash the Christian religion?

Just as long as you also feel the need to bash the millions and millions of people who have been helped because of Christians' charitable donations, homes built by Christians, Christian missionaries who brought schools, electricity, food, medicine etc to the poorest of the poor in Africa, it was Christians that led the charge to end slavery in the United States, etc...

If they have earned their "bashing", then by all means, continue to bash. But, make sure you bash everything they do, instead of having such a one sided viewpoint, because you didn't bother to find out if there was another side to it. Bash all the good Christianity is responsible for. Bash Mother Theresa. Bash the millions of lives that were saved because of Christian missionary work. Bash the fact that in the United States, Christians donate a much higher percentage of their incomes to charity than any other group. While non-Christians are busy bashing Christians, those same Christians are giving up their time and money to help those who are bashing them.

If you are going to blame Christians for the actions of a few, then I am going to turn it around. Atheism is far more dangerous than Christianity ever was. Joseph Stalin was an atheist, he outlawed God...and he intentionally killed 40,000,000 of his own people, just 60 years ago. Why don't you talk about the brutality of YOUR beliefs?

If you are going to blame Christians for the actions of a few, then I am going to turn it around. Atheism is far more dangerous than Christianity ever was. Joseph Stalin was an atheist, he outlawed God...and he intentionally killed 40,000,000 of his own people, just 60 years ago. Why don't you talk about the brutality of YOUR beliefs?

Atheism is a belief system in the same way those people who love Marmite are in a belief system. Having ONE thing in common isn't the same as following a holy book with millions of others and vowing to live your life by it, now is it?

Anyway, all religions get 'bashed' - have you SEEN all the bad things being said about Islam, especially since 9/11? I do think that it's seen as more acceptable to use Christianity negatively. For example, in a soap recently, a Christian man turned mad, quoting the Bible while killing someone and using it as a reason for allowing it. A few weeks later, a Muslim slammed the Qu'ran down on a table in frustration and I've just finished reading a piece in a newspaper about how offensive it was - do you think the show would EVER have quoted the Muslim holy book in a storyline while committing murder?

Some horrible, stupid things have been done in the name of Christianity which is why they're bashed. Most of the time, the followers aren't being bashed, but the religion is - and saying it's undeserved would be silly. It's not all bad, of course not. Religion has brought some amazing things to peoples lives and I love it for that, but it won't just be forgotten that millions have died in the name of it.

I'm going to attempt to approach this subject from a scholarly angle.

If you look at Western religions, you'll find that the components of these religions are basically the same across the board. There's generally three similar components to any major religion;

1. Periodic assembling (church, gatherings, etc...)
2. Establishing a common focus (e.g., sacred object, or the sacred and the profane)
3. Engaging in collective ritual actions regarding the object (generally centered around a moral text)

It's not that any one religion is vastly different from its counterpart, rather, it's that "Christianity" is lumped into a holistic category that dominates most of the Western world. Christianity, actually, is not one in the same. Yet, by its definition, it's become a religion that's assumed regardless of the denomination. Under the guise of Western Christianity the following religions will, invariably, fall; Protestant, Catholic, Mormon, Adventist, Anglican, Lutheran, Witnesses, etc...fundamentally, all of these religions are different, yet their belief that "Jesus" is the savior has them lumped as Christianity.

The golden rule is similar across Eastern and Western religions. Matter of factly, Eastern religions share the same same golden rule and biblical story that Western religions share. It's all open for interpretation

If you want my answer to your question, it's because the U.S., which happens to be the dominant empire at this time, is a Christian nation, that's why they get shit.

Christians have spent the better part of the last 1000 years bashing anyone who didn't believe what they did, I think it's fair to tolerate a little abuse back at them. Especially given the massive scandals, the money that has corrupted the Church, not to mention the Catholic priest scandals...I think there is plenty to criticize.

I agree about the corruption in the church, and I'm not defending the mega-churches who are just in it for the money, I'm defending the actual churches, no matter what denomination, stand up for what they believe in and truly believe what they're saying. But, while some have been slaughtered by "Christians", how many Christians have been slaughtered? It's a what goes around comes around process, really.

I think that every religion gets bashed to varying degrees. Here in the United States, Christianity is the dominant religion and much of the criticism that we're likely to see here in the states will be aimed at Christianity because it's the biggest, and therefore, easiest target. You'll get everyone from people that feel justification for bashing Christianity and God as their lives haven't turned out the way they should, you'll have atheists that will criticize it just for the sake of arguing with a believer, you'll have some that will criticize just because it seems to be what a lot of other people do, some are just looking for something to rebel against, etc.

Does Christianity deserve some criticism? I think that can be somewhat complicated. Is it the religion or those that have used the religion for their own means that's the problem? Me personally, I tend to lean more towards the latter. The history books are filled with examples in which Christianity has been used as a means to achieve an end. The Holy Crusades, The Holy Inquisition, the persecution of Jews in Europe, etc. are all examples of powerful men using Christian belief and dogma to accomplish something that they believe should happen.

As long as there has been "The One True God", there have been those that are willing to pervert the overall message of Christianity for their gains. Over the centuries, powerful men within Christianity have been able to insert their own personal dogma into The Bible and Christian Theology and claim "divine inspiration".

I think that it's important for Christianity to be questioned. I think it's important that the shortcomings of Christianity be pointed out in the hopes we might not keep making the same mistakes we've made in the past.

I would take the pedantic route when answering the question posed in the title of this thread.

I would say that it is not right to bash Christianity. Or Judaism. Or Islam. Or any other religion.

However, I think it is more than right to bash some Christians, Jews, Muslims or others for what they justify with or hide behind their religion. Whether it is picketing funerals, killing others, suppressing personal freedoms, racism, sexual misconduct or just generally sticking their beliefs in the faces of others.

It is people like this that give bad names to their otherwise ancient, respected and beautiful religions and if they cannot deal with such criticism of their beliefs then they should just keep them to themselves

I would take the pedantic route when answering the question posed in the title of this thread.

I would say that it is not right to bash Christianity. Or Judaism. Or Islam. Or any other religion.

However, I think it is more than right to bash some Christians, Jews, Muslims or others for what they justify with or hide behind their religion. Whether it is picketing funerals, killing others, suppressing personal freedoms, racism, sexual misconduct or just generally sticking their beliefs in the faces of others.

It is people like this that give bad names to their otherwise ancient, respected and beautiful religions and if they cannot deal with such criticism of their beliefs then they should just keep them to themselves

I'm creating my post again, because it has to do with the topic. Give me one good reason why this post should not be here since it has to do with the topic.

Slyfox

I am not doing anything, I am simply stating a opinion. So now according to you everyone who disagree’s with your opinion, is bashing you?

I’m not defending what I believe in, I’m defending the right in everyone believing what they want to believe in

The fact is that you can not be angry with Christians about bashing, when you come on here on a daily bases and bash posters for sharings there views etc… What makes you kind of the world that you can bash and attack people but when other people do it that is wrong?

They didn’t earn anything, the only thing that they earned was the right to defend there opinions and views because of people like you who bash and attack there beliefs.

Do you expect them to just sit on there hands and allow people like you to walk all over them?

The fact that your mocking Christian makes you a idiot and for that you deserve to be bashed, you can’t handle it? Deal with it.

It’s like I said you want to bash Christianity, your just as bad and guilty of it.

Respect is a 2 way street. Again don’t label everyone together because you will get bashed if you do that. The fact is that your not respecting Christianity right now so there for, you do deserve to get attacked it’s a simple as that.

You want to be respected? Try acting like a damn adult.

Don’t expect people to respect your religion when you clearly came in here with the intent to bash another Religion. No one bashed your religion, accept you.

Slyfox

I am not doing anything, I am simply stating a opinion. So now according to you everyone who disagree’s with your opinion, is bashing you?

I’m not defending what I believe in, I’m defending the right in everyone believing what they want to believe in

The fact is that you can not be angry with Christians about bashing, when you come on here on a daily bases and bash posters for sharings there views etc… What makes you king of the world that you can bash and attack people but when other people do it that is wrong?

They didn’t earn anything, the only thing that they earned was the right to defend there opinions and views because of people like you who bash and attack there beliefs.

Do you expect them to just sit on there hands and allow people like you to walk all over them?

The fact that your mocking Christian makes you a idiot and for that you deserve to be bashed, you can’t handle it? Deal with it.

It’s like I said you want to bash Christianity, your just as bad and guilty of it.

Respect is a 2 way street. Again don’t label everyone together because you will get bashed if you do that. The fact is that your not respecting Christianity right now so there for, you do deserve to get attacked it’s a simple as that.

Don’t expect people to respect your religion when you clearly came in here with the intent to bash another Religion. No one bashed your religion, accept you.

Just as long as you also feel the need to bash the millions and millions of people who have been helped because of Christians' charitable donations, homes built by Christians, Christian missionaries who brought schools, electricity, food, medicine etc to the poorest of the poor in Africa, it was Christians that led the charge to end slavery in the United States, etc...

If they have earned their "bashing", then by all means, continue to bash. But, make sure you bash everything they do, instead of having such a one sided viewpoint, because you didn't bother to find out if there was another side to it. Bash all the good Christianity is responsible for. Bash Mother Theresa. Bash the millions of lives that were saved because of Christian missionary work. Bash the fact that in the United States, Christians donate a much higher percentage of their incomes to charity than any other group. While non-Christians are busy bashing Christians, those same Christians are giving up their time and money to help those who are bashing them.
Why would I bash the good things Christianity has done? That doesn't make sense. Who criticizes good things?

That's not what the thread starter was talking about, the thread starter was talking about criticisms, and criticisms only come from the bad things a religion does. So, if somebody does something good, suddenly they can no longer be criticized? That's completely asinine.

The Christian religion has so much that can be criticized, whether it be it's own internal structure, or its actions upon the world. Nobody has denied the good things the religion has done, although I will say that many of the good things the Church has done has been self-serving, but all the same, it's helpful. And there are some very good people who are Christians, who do wonderful things for others. Nobody denies that.

But to say we can't criticize the Christian religion is just absurd, especially when there is so much to criticize. So I will bash it, when I think appropriate.

First of all, who said I was an atheist? Typical Christian, jumping to conclusions.

Second of all, while I see what you're trying to say, you're completely off. Atheism isn't a belief, it's not a sect or set of principles. Atheism is the absence of belief in a divine power, and as such, can not be treated the same as Christianity. Every atheist is individual to himself...every Christian belongs to the Christian religion.

While I see what you're trying to say, you're looking at it completely wrong. You can't group all atheists together, because the very fact they're atheists denies that ability. Christians willingly belong to a "club" so to speak, atheists choose not to be part of any club.

Good try, but it was a failure.

I agree about the corruption in the church, and I'm not defending the mega-churches who are just in it for the money, I'm defending the actual churches, no matter what denomination, stand up for what they believe in and truly believe what they're saying. But, while some have been slaughtered by "Christians", how many Christians have been slaughtered? It's a what goes around comes around process, really.
I'm not here to defend anyone who does anything immoral or illegal. I'm not here saying that Christianity is bad and "x" religion is good, or that atheism is the way to go.

What I'm merely saying is there are plenty of reasons to bash Christianity, all of which are completely legitimate.

It’s still bashing no matter what you call it SLYFOX, your ignoring the good in what Christians have done and just bringing up the bad because you think, you and others have the right to bash Christianity.

Why can’t we bring up the good that Christians has done as well?

Why is it that you only want to bring up the bad? and ignore the good?

Is it because then, you have to admit that not all Christians are that bad?

Since you like to label everyone together.

It’s still bashing no matter what you call it SLYFOX, your ignoring the good in what Christians and just bringing up the bad.

Why can’t we bring up the good that Christians has done as well?

IMO it’s the same thing.

I'm creating my post again, because it has to do with the topic. Give me one good reason why this post should not be here since it has to do with the topic.

Slyfox

I am not doing anything, I am simply stating a opinion. So now according to you everyohne who disagree’s with your opinion, is bashing you?

The fact is that you can not be angry with Christians about bashing, when you come on here on a daily bases and bash posters for sharings there views etc… What makes you king of the world that you can bash and attack people but when other people do it that is wrong?

Don't take this the wrong way, but yeah, I'm about to pick you apart.

You seem to be way too attached to this subject to view it from an objective standpoint.

You want him to be an adult, yet, at the same time, you're demanding everyone see something from your POV.

Relax, brother. Questions of this nature are great. However, they're not great if the individual positing the question has nothing more than a vested interest in the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back