Why do you still watch wrestling?

Krossbreed

Pre-Show Stalwart
Time for an intellectual discussion among wrestling fans in the wrestle zone…wrestling is loosing viewers to other prime time shows, the ufc and other sports…some people just got bored. It lost its popularity and isn’t even mentioned that much in pop culture unless its negative presses.

Every week I ask myself this question…”Why do I still watch wrestling?” is it company loyalty is it in our primal instinct as humans to participate in cult rituals? Market researchers analyze all of this and im sure if any wrestling company wants to succeed they have at least a monthly discussion on how to bring back real fans and pull in more casual viewers…

Heres the question…

1) You have a chance to talk to Vince Mcmahon and Dixie Carter at the same time in a meeting (use your imagination)…they want your input…they want to know why you still watch wrestling. Why do you still watch wrestling?

2) Do you think its because we have primal instincts to see competition or savage instincts to see annihilation of ones foes that we cant “get away” with in reality…

My answer:

1) I watch because I feel like I am apart of the wwe universe…we all have a desire to be apart of something… I watch for break out moments like CM Punk doing the shoot he did that changed wwe’s direction. I also watch for great confrontations like Rock cena face to face in the same ring…or hbk and bret hart burying the hatchet moments… lately I don’t like “wrestling” as much as I like promos like CM Punk’s, Roode/James Storm rising in rank, HHH’s or even Cody Rhode’s work. If I do watch the wrestling it has to have some sort of logic or storyline behind it. I watch expecting them to surprise me, I watch to be entertained.

2) Do you enjoy it when wrestlers go extremely brutal and vicious…do you think its because we have primal instincts to see competition or savage instincts to see annihilation of ones foes that we cant “get away” with in reality…

Definitely it’s human nature.. if someone crosses you in reality we all know we cant just go off…Randy Orton mentioned how he enjoys this aspect of being a wrestler on his dvd and how he separates[ his home life from his wrestling. HHH added the sledge hammer and as savage as that is… fan’s still cheer him.
wwejuice.jpg

1) You have a chance to talk to Vince Mcmahon and Dixie Carter at the same time in a meeting (use your imagination)…they want your input…they want to know why you still watch wrestling. Why do you still watch wrestling?

If this meeting ever happened, I would inform them that I have been watching both of their federations' shows for years. TNA since around 2006 or so. WWE for dang near my entire life, 20+ years. Having been a fan for so many years, I have enjoyed seeing the product evolve and want to continue seeing what happens next. There are several guys on both rosters who I'd like to see feud with each other and I always anticipate title matches, seeing who will win or who will be the next challenger if the champion retains.

2) Do you think its because we have primal instincts to see competition or savage instincts to see annihilation of ones foes that we cant “get away” with in reality…

Not really. I'm different in the sense that I like pro wrestling due to all of the things that make it a show. Character development, gimmicks, storylines, pyro, entrance music, championship history, merchandise, weapons used in matches, insane spots, things like that.... Don't get me wrong though I have always enjoyed when wrestlers are skilled in "real" wrestling too, guys like Bret Hart are among my favorites of all time. I continue to watch knowing that I am guaranteed to see a show, plus I am a creature of habit and after two decades of enjoyment why stop now? Simple as that.

1. I started watching wrestling with my father as long as I can remember starting with the World of Sport featuring Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Mark Rollerball Rocco, Fit Finley and Princess Paula and others and quickly became addicted. As Wrestling became more available in Britain we watched WWF and others that we could. Now I'm 33 I watch it with my 2 year old son and can look at his face and see the same enjoyment in his face. Like me he's attracted to the big characters and the action. That's what Dixie and Vince need to learn. The swerve turns, semi shoots and storylines that go nowhere aren't what keep people its the different characters that we like and tune in for.

2. I agree its the competitive nature that people like. You only need to look at sports in general to see that. Man Utd and Liverpool in football, Wales, Scotland, Australia verses England in rugby union. These are the games that get fans worked up and excited. These feelings are intensified when you have individual rivalries. For example Nadal and Federer in tennis, Ali and Frazer in boxing even Taylor and van Barnaveld in darts. We live to see these characters compete and we get that in abundance in Wrestling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back