Who is the worst champion in WWE's History

I'm going to catch hell for this, but Hulk Hogan was the worst champion ever. His wrestling ability was absolutely abominal, his promos were lame (I thought that even when I was 6 or 7 watching WWF on Saturday mornings), he never put anybody over, and he emobodies everything that is wrong with wrestling. There were far more creative and entertaining wrestlers than Hulk in the company during his reign, yet nobody remembers them because Hulk and Vince wouldn't let you.

I'm going to catch hell for this, but Hulk Hogan was the worst champion ever.

Wow. You've got some balls thats for sure.

His wrestling ability was absolutely abominal, his promos were lame (I thought that even when I was 6 or 7 watching WWF on Saturday mornings).

His wrestling ability was'nt bad. He had the charisma of a god, and his mic work was unparalleled. When Hogan talked, you listened, and you believed. When you watched him in a match he was larger than life. He was the end all be all. At the time.

He never put anybody over, and he emobodies everything that is wrong with wrestling.

I agree that he put few over. But he didnt need to. He was that damn good. He was given the strap because he could carry the company, and he could draw like no other. The only 2 people that I can think of that could even touch him on a drawing stanpoint are Stone Cold and John Cena.

There were far more creative and entertaining wrestlers than Hulk in the company during his reign, yet nobody remembers them because Hulk and Vince wouldn't let you.

Meh. The only other people that were even close at the time were The Ultimate Warrior, and Macho Man. They were not even in Hogans league. Hogan would captivate an audience and he was the biggest draw of the 80's and early 90's. Hogan will go down as one of the best champions ever.

I think that both baconbits and monkeymania make good points (I just had to reread that sentence, as it sounds kind of funny out of context). Anyway, Hogan was a huge draw and no one could touch him on the microphone. He would sell tickets, and had such a bandwagon it was hard to stop him. At the same time, I agree that his wrestling skills were nothing exceptional. Yes, he was strong. But really, in the ring he was the way Cena was (i'd actually preface that by saying how cena was during his title run, he is improving). He spent most of the main matches getting dominated, and really had a small repertoire of moves. And his finisher was probably one of the lamest ever.

Still, it would be hard not to argue that he was probably one of the most successful champions of all time. Even those who didn't watch wrestling knew who hulk hogan was. You probably can't say that about any other wrestler, past or present.

Hulk Hogan was not a great wrestler...but, considering how wrestling boomed and rose in popularity when Hogan wore the belt in the 1980s, how can he possibly be considered a bad champion? The WWF/E Championship is NOT about who the best wrestler is. Its about DRAWING power. Its about who can put the most butts in the most seats. It is essentially, nothing more than a prop designed to increase ratings. Hulk Hogan wore the belt for so long, because of all the reasons mcflyboy lists. He got a LOT of people to watch WWF programming. That in and of itself, is reason to accept Hogan as a great champion, not a poor one. Hogan exemplified what the belt is designed to do.

t's the purpose of the forum. Somebody talks about something, you reply and give your opinion. Which is what I did. Fine if you think that Vince was a poor champion. I don't think he was. I explained that Vince recieved more heat as champion than most. You told me that it was wrestling ability that makes you a great champion. Which just isn't the case. You then rant. I don't mind. Enjoy yourself.

An example of a poor champion could possibly be a WCW champion from the final few months. Forgettable, unimportant, pointless reigns, little reactions to title changes, drew no money. Stuff like that.

Well of course Vince can draw heat....he's VINCE! But did it really draw all that well? No of course not! It was just another way for Vince to enlarge his ego....and piss on the already dead legacy of ECW! From a storyline standpoint, it was poorly written and did nothing for nobody!

However I do agree that ability doesen't always make a great champion.......look at Hogan...great champ...but not that great in the ring! Shawn Michaels...had amazing matches as a champion in 1996....but drew poorly!

I have 2 choices that may bring me some heat............

Ken Kennedys US Title Run
Some people don't even remember this.I rememeber the run but forget who he pinned(I think it was Lashley by a roll up........Im not sure).But dear god his reign did nothing for the kid.He basically had the strap because he "needed" a belt and Lashley was off some cards for some "illness".Horrible,Forgettable Reign.

Lashleys ECW Title run
Where to start..............I can't name one damn good match from this run.When he won the belt he was booed and fans actully wanted the Big Show to have the title back.Lashley wasn't ready for a belt like this and blew it with his awful promos("Your a bath turd").Also the end of the reign was awful.Lashleys wins the title back after a long feud and then suddenley drafted to Raw.P.O.I.N.T.L.E.S.S

Well of course Vince can draw heat....he's VINCE! But did it really draw all that well? No of course not! It was just another way for Vince to enlarge his ego....and piss on the already dead legacy of ECW! From a storyline standpoint, it was poorly written and did nothing for nobody!

He was the ECW champion. He didn't really need to draw. It's not like it's a legitimate title. It's mid card. It was only important for about 6 weeks in the summer of 2006.

You can't honestly say that Lashley didn't benefit from being associated with Vince?

I agree the Vince feud made Lashely. Vince carried lahley and his stupid soft nervous voice through months of promos and storylines to help make it a half decent feud and give Lashley legitimacy. Lashley was just another big dominatant guy like all the rest until Vince ut him over as something special. Also if you look back at the matches themselves even though Vince isnt a wrestler he makes Lashley look extreamly powerful during the feud.

The whole Vince Lashely thing was crap! This worked well in 97 because of HBK and Stonecold, and Vince did great back then aswell. But how many times can you do the exact same thing? It also worked better when the wrestler playing the heel role. Vince making one wrestler fight ten times in one night is more than overdoing it, tired, and old!

I have to say that Khali as WC was even worse

Cena wasn't a bad champion, Just a champion for to long. Far from the best champion it the last five years. If you want to see a good champion look no furthur than Edge! Theres your best champion in the last five years, and it makes me sick how little credit he gets.

I would have to say the great Khali. Putting the WHC title on The Great Khali Did Nothing for the WWE at all. his title rain Was useless, Every match was dull and boring no matter who the challenger was. and it drew no extra rating at all. There was so many other worthy ME'rs that could of held the belt after Edge got injured, That would of made more of a difference. Kane for example. if the people that used to watch wrestling found out that Kane was the ACTUAL World Heavywieght Champion found out they would probly tuned in to see if he had improved enough to be WHC. the great Khali instaed made the people that challenged him have if not the worst match in there life. Every champion that is HUGE Is worthless for an entertaining match. becouse your used to the "jobbed" match where it's easy. Then you start watching matches that last longer then five minute's.

Chris Jericho isnt that great IMO as the world Champion. He won it in a lame fashion for being the Undisputed Champion and beat the rock and Austin in one night. And that was his only title reign.

While I stand conflicted on the Chris Jericho - Undisputed Championship reign, the one thing I fully agree with is this.

His victory in it, was anything but unimpressive. He defeated The Rock then Steve Austin in back to back matches. Thats hardly lame. Infact, no other Superstar can say they've done that.

Furthermore, his reign took him into the Main Event of Wrestlemania, albeit to push Triple H. in the end, he was still apart of it.. over the likes of The Rock v. Hulk Hogan. So he must of been doing something right.

As far as "that was his only title reign" thats not technically true. He won the Championship from Triple H. in 2000, then lost it back in the same night.. and it was "erased" from the record books. But anyone who watched during that time still knows it happened. Then he won the W.C.W. Championship from The Rock at No Mercy, and while his reign didn't last but 3 weeks, or something like that.. it still happened.

His Undisputed Championship reign was his longest with a World Championship, and I personally tried my hardest to love the hell out of Chris Jericho during that time and that reign. Back then, he didn't suck near as much as he does now. But again, his reign was anything by lame.

Jericho was a world cahmpion? I missed that. Well I didn't. I just forgot about it because it was just so boring. It was pretty much Jericho's WWE career summed up in general. Terrible, boring reign.

Yeah nobody has defeated The Rock & Austin in one night before. But one man did, and I really struggle to remember it. As I'm sure a lot of other people do. Not only that. But he defeated The Rock at the Rumble, and Austin at No Way Out. Yet he still wasn't over as a champion should be. His main event match at Mania couldn't have drew less heat. Yeah people rected, it was Mania, and it shouldn't have gone on after the real main event. But if the match was any good that wouldn't have mattered. In the end Jericho blew it.

Or you can lay the blame on Stephanie McMahon & Triple H. But I'm more inclined to think it was Jericho's fault.

Jericho was not too bad of a champion when he had it back then, he was nothing spectacular but it could have been a lot worse. When he came out with his two world titles, bragging about his victories and then he started wearing the Games old cape, it made me laugh, but at Wrestlemania his time was definatley up.

I think it was one of the worst decisions ever to have Triple H drop that title 4 weeks later to Hogan. I know the Hulkster was over with the fans, but it just didn't make sence, for Triple H to come back from torn quads, win the Rumble, win at 'Mania, then drop the title in a meaningless match, where there was no story or anything. After that he went back to fighting Jericho, and all the momemtun was lost.

I'm definitely thinking that Jericho could be the worst champion of all time. There is only one wrestler I can think of who feuded with The Rock and didn't benefit, and that was Billy Gunn.

There's one wrestler I can think of who got put over by The Rock & Austin twice in three months who didn't get over. That be Jericho. If that didn't make him into a worthy champion then you have to think that the guy just sin't as talented as people think.

Khali WHC Champ > Y2J Undisputed Chap. People will remember Khali's reign. For better or worse.

I never liked Sid as champion. He was nothing great in either company, just a huge monster with a limited moveset. I can't think of a single thing he did, except break his leg trying to perform the simplest kick off of the second rope.

I suppose in a way he was the past generation version of Khali. Somebody who was made to look dominant despite posessing zero talent, but mainly used to put people over.
He beat Shawn Michaels after being his former bodyguard (sounds familiar). Then he bacame Takers number 6 at Wreslemania. Thats pretty much his wwe career.

Khali´s world title reign was plain AWFUL, someone said above that people will remember Khali´s reign instead of Jericho´s and I disagree. Jericho´s reign will be remembered just for the fact that he was the first undisputed champion and he also Main Evented ´Mania. Khali had like 2 matches for the title and those matches wheren´t Match of the Year candidates to say at least. Maybe Jerichós reign wasn´t the greatest of all time nor will rank in the high spots but Khali´s reign was forgettable and lame.

Khali´s world title reign was plain AWFUL, someone said above that people will remember Khali´s reign instead of Jericho´s and I disagree.

While I can't be for sure if he was being serious in saying The Great Khali's Championship reign will be remembered more.. the fact is, he made good points on why Chris Jericho's isn't remembered as well.

The W.W.F. (at the time) did everything they could to promote and push Chris Jericho. Do you know what people remember from that time? Steve Austin & The Rock both being involved in that 4 man tournament and losing.. but to whom.. The Rock getting screwed at the Royal Rumble.. but by whom.. Steve Austin getting assaulted by the returning n.W.o. so the current Champion could retain, but who was it.. and Triple H. winning the Undisputed Championship at Wrestlemania X8, finally putting Stephanie McMahon in her place..

Jericho wasn't mentioned in any of that.. and thats how people recall it. Jericho equals the first Undisputed Champion, forever will he be considered just that.. but what did he do AS the Undisputed Champion, thats the question that remains a mystery.

Jericho´s reign will be remembered just for the fact that he was the first undisputed champion

Exactly. Because he was the first. In a Championship division, that lasted for about 9 monthes.. then they split the titles up again into two.

he also Main Evented ´Mania.

So did Lawerence Taylor and Bam Bam Bigelow, whats your point?

Khali had like 2 matches for the title and those matches wheren´t Match of the Year candidates to say at least.

Chris Jericho v. Steve Austin from No Way Out was hardly MOTY quality. Furthermore, to be a rememberable Champion, you don't have to put on MOTY matches.. you just have to do something that stands out.

Khali's 7 ft. Hes complete shit. That stands out.

Maybe Jerichós reign wasn´t the greatest of all time nor will rank in the high spots but Khali´s reign was forgettable and lame.

If its so forgettable, then why are you even wasting the time to discuss it?

the one big will is 100% right about y2j reign now back on to the topic I'll go with khali as whc but otherwise jeff hardy as any singles champ since his return. He suks and barely connects his moves. When he does its extremely sloppy. He is predictable and yes i think john cena is better. if you want to use the fact he get a huge reaction from the crowd so do batista but he suks as weii.

People will always remember Khali as champion. They might not remember his matches, but they'll remember him holding that belt above his head, and how annoyed they were when he got the belt. So by that alone he can't be the worst champion in WWE history.

On a side note. If he's so bad then how come he had so many good matches in 2007? Sure he was carried. But both Cena matches, the Unforgiven main event, and Finlay matches were all solid. I can think of plenty of top tier wrestlers who didn't have any quality PPV matches last year.

People will always remember Khali as champion. They might not remember his matches, but they'll remember him holding that belt above his head, and how annoyed they were when he got the belt. So by that alone he can't be the worst champion in WWE history.

If that is the standard we are going by, I am gonna change my opinion...back on page 1 I thought Vince McMahon was the worst champion in WWE history, but, since I remember him as champion, even for only 6 days, I have to discount him now...In that case, I have to go with Psycho Sid...considering I had not only completely forgotten that he won the title, but he did so twice, and I didn't remember either of them...I had to see his name listed under the Wikipedia entry for former WWE champions to tell he had ever won the belt...

HHH is the worst, period.

The whole "game" persona, hypercompetitive, mega serious, look-like-I'm gonna pass a kidney stone hardass thing never ceases to suck the life out of the show.

His presence holds people back as much as Hogan ever did. Yeah, he'll lose a match, but he always comes back and makes the opponent look bad in addition to getting the title back.

Look at what he just did to Orton... Orton could not look any less pathetic of they TRIED to make him that way

So many children in this thread who forget wrestling outside the scope of the last 5 years. How is it possible that nobody brought up The Big Show's first WWF Title Reign from November 1999 through January 3rd, 2000? Oh that's right - because THAT was the worst title reign EVER!

The only reason Show was even in the Title Match was because The Undertaker was out with injuries and Steve Austin had been "run over" by Rikishi. So, Show was inserted into a Triple Threat Match at Survivor Series vs The Rock and HHH. It was there he finally won the WWF Title, and only because Vince McMahon counted the pin on nemesis HHH. Nobody cared.

THEN, he started his defense of the title in a FEUD against THE BIG BOSSMAN. The ONLY creedence that feud had was Bossman calling Show a Big Nasty Bastard. The whole thing was crap, and it made Show look week. Armageddon 1999 is remembered for Miss Kitty flashing the crowd, Jericho making Chyna tap to the Walls of Jericho, and the Main Event - HHH vs Vince, no holds barred. NOBODY remembers the shit match that was Big Show vs Bossman, during which a month-long feud ended in THREE MINUTES AND ELEVEN SECONDS!!!

They didn't even wait until Royal Rumble to take the belt off of the Big Show. HHH won it back on Raw on January 3rd - not even 2 months after this meaningless title reign started.

I can't believe how much hate there is on Khali in this thread, but I definitely do not consider him the worst champion of all time. There were so many injuries last year, that it pretty much came down to putting the title on Batista, AGAIN or giving it to Khali for a few months. I think giving it to Khali was a great decision, how many people thought that Khali would be a World Champion, even though he is huge and is a monster, I wouldn't have thought recently that he would have become a champion. No he isn't the quickest or whatever, but he is freaking huge, he is very believable as a champion, and as previously mentioned he is so over in India and he is pretty hated here in the states.

Does he put on the best matches, no, but I wouldn't exactly say he is horrible, he is pretty good at what he does and again look how big he is, how much can he be expected to do. But I do think in the matches I saw from him, he was pretty solid and by the end of his reign and once he was done chasing after the title, I became a fan, and I personally wouldn't mind if he got another title reign even if it's short, down the road.

I think putting the belt on Kane would have been much better than Khali. If I recall, Kane was in the title picture at the time so I don't see any reason to give the belt to someone as talentless as Khali over Kane. He may be getting stale but Kane will always be much more interesting than Khali.

My vote for worst reign goes to Khali.

I see that a lot of people consider Jericho's reign the worst. I somewhat agree. I wouldn't call it the worst. I'd call it "wasted potential". Jericho was the first ever undisputed champion, he beat The Rock and Stone Cold in the same night, and he got put over by them again in Royal Rumble and No Way Out yet no one seemed to care about him. The two biggest babyfaces of the company couldn't beat him yet he was never really over as a heel. Jericho's reign is often forgotten, which is sad considering just how significant this reign was. This reign had the potential to be the greatest championship reign ever but Jericho blew it.

Bob Backlund.

Made Owen Hart throw in the towel for Bret when he had him in the chickenwing for like 8 minutes, then the next night loses the WWF Title to Diesel in 8 seconds.

By far the worst title reign. Made Bret Hart look weak, nose-dived Backlund's push with the crazy-looking-at-my-hands gimmick, and put the belt on Kevin Nash who was carried through every one of his stand-out matches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back