Who is the most undeserving WWE or World Heavyweight Champion?

Bear "The Hitman" Hug;4722011 said:
This is beating the last remaining maggots of the dead horse.

Billed weight:
Christian: 212 lbs.
Jeff Hardy: 215 lbs.
CM Punk: 218 lbs.

DEAN MALENKO: 212 lbs.!

All under 100 kg. (220 lbs.), so are you saying that those cruiserweights are not WHC-contenders? Had you said Rey isn't a believable champ, because of his size, it would've made more sense, but this is a semantics argument and I have to respectfully disagree, sir. Pro wrestling insults the viewer's intelligence all the time, so I've learnt that it's best to try not to take offence...

True but Mysterio is still significantly smaller than all of these guys you have mentioned and we all know they exaggerate the heights and weights of wrestlers anyway and all of these guys could be considered at least Light Heavyweights. Also nowadays wrestlers are lighter on average. All the main eventers like Cena, Orton, Punk, Bryan are 200-250 lbs tops. Not taking away anything from Mysterio of course, in my opinion he deserved to be world champ. They should have just called the title the World Championship in my opinion or just given him the WWE title instead.

Khali. He wrestled like he had arthritis hemrhoids and acid reflux combined. His feuds were boring he couldnt speakEnglish. And after his undeserving terrible horrible 4getful yet memorable reign cuz it was so awful he immediately went 2 his role:Indian ambassador comic relief(which was never funny kiss cam w/fat chicks 4 example:headscratch:)and finally jobber. Can't believe 4 once i rooted 4 batista :cuss2:just cuz of khali. Can't wait 2 c da words:da Great Khali has been future endeavored:wave:

The Great Khali

Has there ever been a World Champion who was given the belt purely because of their height, without EVER having had a good match, while being thought of as one of the worst wrestlers on the roster?!

Khali winning the title was an insult to every single wrestler who had worked their ass off to make it to the top over many years. Look at someone like Eddie Guerrero- how much winning the title meant to him, look at someone like Triple H, Stone Cold, Chris Benoit etc- wrestlers who worked their way to the top rather than just being given the World Heavyweight Title simply because they were tall.

His reign was awful, and I'm glad WWE realised how awful he is and almost immediately took him out of the main event picture after he dropped the belt and keep him almost exclusively for comedy/jobbing these days as the barely-mobile Khali is horrific.

The Great Khali

Has there ever been a World Champion who was given the belt purely because of their height, without EVER having had a good match, while being thought of as one of the worst wrestlers on the roster?!

He had good matches with Cena before he won the title. Get your facts straight.

Khali winning the title was an insult to every single wrestler who had worked their ass off to make it to the top over many years. Look at someone like Eddie Guerrero- how much winning the title meant to him, look at someone like Triple H, Stone Cold, Chris Benoit etc- wrestlers who worked their way to the top rather than just being given the World Heavyweight Title simply because they were tall.

Yawn.

It's amusing that you say that Khali was given the title simply because they were tall and mention HHH in that same paragraph. Just very funny to me. I'm sure get you what I mean sooner or later.

So who would have held the belt if Khali didn't? The only options were Batista and Kane and if you want to argue that Kane has had great matches, you're barking up the wrong tree with me.

His reign was awful, and I'm glad WWE realised how awful he is and almost immediately took him out of the main event picture after he dropped the belt and keep him almost exclusively for comedy/jobbing these days as the barely-mobile Khali is horrific.

Khali was the best option at the time and I had no problem with his reign. An intimidating 7-foot, 400-pound guy with the belt. Top notch.

The problem here is you have to look at who else didn't get the reign so whoever did... that is what really makes an undeserving champion rather than Khali who was picked for a specific monster role.

For your consideration:-

The Iron Sheik - As far as transitional champs go I can see the logic, but there were better options at the time. Jesse Ventura, Masked Superstar and Dr. D all could have been the guy to upset Backlund and lose to Hogan. Indeed Shultz would have been a far better bet leading into that first Mania and setting Hogan up for Piper.

Sgt. Slaughter - Considering this decision led Rick Rude to walk, who then became WCW and the businesses top heel of the era it was a poor one. It was based on egos, Hogan felt Rude too small and Warrior felt he'd already dropped a title to him. Had they gone with Rude as champion into WM 7 they still could have had Hogan v Slaughter and Warrior v Savage at Mania and Rude defends against Dusty (who would have stayed for that loser leaves town match) or my pick. Mr. Perfect, Imagine Rude finally getting the big belt and Curt wanting to use his IC #1 contender spot to face Rude... Heenan tries to dissuade as he wants both champs, Rude costs him his IC title and the feud is on. Rude wins but Hennig is now a main eventer.

What you then have is a strong heel champion going into the rest of 91, who can face Hogan, Warrior, Hennig AND the returning Ricky Steamboat... Suddenly you have marquee matches through 91 and 92 that do not rely on the roid scandal guys. But Hogan wanted Slaughter... so...

Bob Backlund - First reign no question, but 2nd... There is no logical reason Owen never had that win, even if he was going to drop to Diesel in a squash. To this day it makes no sense to me and never will. Backlund was great as a character at that time, but Owen was better. He'd been SO vile to Bret that winning the title and losing it to Diesel in such a way would have made Diesel the hero Vince wanted him to be instantly and far more successfully than Jacknifing a 40 year old.

Yokozuna - Going back to my Rude scenario... Had that happened then come 93 you are still working off the back end of that chain. Any one of Rude, Hennig, Flair, Hart, Savage, Davey Boy or Taker could have held that belt at that time and with new blood like Lex Luger and Bam Bam Bigelow made for exciting main events for another year at least and Mania 9 could have seen Hogan returning to face Flair or a heel Davey Boy for the belt rather than the clusterfuck we got. There was so much better talent however good Yoko was, they didn't need the monster champion. No Yoko and Flair stays on another year or so, by then he'd have know Hart was only the short term guy...

You're now into the split belt champions and there are too many to mention... Ziggler over Barrett for starters, but Miz is a strong contender as again, Barrett was a stronger heel and they had other options with Morrison, Kofi etc.

I'm close to choosing Shawn as well as I think in 96 he just didn't work with that belt, they'd have been better putting it on Davey or Vader and having him chase for at least another 6 months but by then the Kliq was running things...

I'd say Slaughter's reign is the one that did the most damage as it cost them key talent and led to a really bad chain of booking and events that ruined 1991 as a year and most of 1992. Just that one change, Rude as champ, even if he drops by Summerslam would have still seen some of the great talent rise, still drawn and match quality be at a premium. It certainly wouldn't have been worse!

Bear "The Hitman" Hug;4722011 said:
This is beating the last remaining maggots of the dead horse.

Billed weight:
Christian: 212 lbs.
Jeff Hardy: 215 lbs.
CM Punk: 218 lbs.

DEAN MALENKO: 212 lbs.!

All under 100 kg. (220 lbs.), so are you saying that those cruiserweights are not WHC-contenders? Had you said Rey isn't a believable champ, because of his size, it would've made more sense, but this is a semantics argument and I have to respectfully disagree, sir. Pro wrestling insults the viewer's intelligence all the time, so I've learnt that it's best to try not to take offence...

Of the 85 guys who've held the 4 World Heavyweight titles WWE owns, there are 16 guys who are definitely not Heavyweights.

They are:
• David Arquette (150 lbs.)- Clearly a Lightweight.
• Rey Mysterio (175 lbs.) ** (won the Cruiserweight title)
• Mikey Whipwreck (187 lbs.)
• Vince Russo (190 lbs.)
• John Morrison (209 lbs.)
• Masato Tanaka (210 lbs.)
• Daniel Bryan (210 lbs.)
• Christian (212 lbs.) ** (won the Light Heavyweight title)
• Jerry Lynn (212 lbs.) ** (won the Light Heavyweight title)
• Dolph Ziggler (213 lbs.)
• Jeff Hardy (215 lbs.) ** (won the Light Heavyweight title)
• CM Punk (218 lbs.)
• Eddie Guerrero (220 lbs.)
• Chris Benoit (220 lbs.) ** (won the Light Heavyweight title)
• Johnny Hotbody (220 lbs.)
• Sabu (220 lbs.)

Plus, there are 6 others who are probably billed at higher values than their real weights:

• The Miz (221 lbs.)
• Chavo Guerrero (225 lbs.)** (won the Cruiserweight title)
• Justin Credible (225 lbs.)
• Shawn Michaels (225 lbs.)
• Chris Jericho (226 lbs.)** (won the Cruiserweight title)
• Buddy Rogers (227 lbs.)

And there are 9 who are at the border of Heavyweight.

• Kurt Angle (231 lbs.)
• Bret Hart (234 lbs.)
• Tito Santana (234 lbs.)
• Jeff Jarrett (235 lbs.)
• Matt Hardy (235 lbs.) ** (won the Cruiserweight title)
• Pedro Morales (235 lbs.)
• Randy Orton (235 lbs.)
• Randy Savage (237 lbs.)
• Rob Van Dam (237 lbs.)

That's 31 guys who's Heavyweight status is debatable. If you don't count Arquette, Rey clearly falls far under everybody's weight, but he's still part of a much bigger group who aren't traditional heavyweights. I definitely don't think weight is an issue, but I'd love it if WWE brought back weight classes. It definitely adds some credibility if they have guys of the same size all facing each other for the top World titles in their division.

Just for the record, here are the weights of the other 54 World Champions:

1. Taz (240 lbs.)
  2. Bob Backlund (241 lbs.)
  3. Edge (241 lbs.)
  4. Steve Corino (242 lbs.)
  5. Ric Flair (243 lbs.)
  6. Raven (244 lbs.) ** (won the Light Heavyweight title)
  7. The Sandman (244 lbs.)
  8. Shane Douglas (244 lbs.)
  9. Terry Funk (247 lbs.)
  10. Diamond Dallas Page (248 lbs.)
  11. Vince McMahon (248 lbs.)
  12. Jimmy Snuka (250 lbs.)
  13. Sting (250 lbs.)
  14. John Cena (251 lbs.)
  15. Rick Rude (251 lbs.)
  16. Steve Austin (252 lbs.)
  17. Tommy Dreamer (255 lbs.)
  18. Triple H (255 lbs.)
  19. The Iron Sheik (258 lbs.)
  20. Jack Swagger (260 lbs.)
  21. The Rock (260 lbs.)
  22. Booker T (262 lbs.)
  23. Bruno Sammartino (265 lbs.) ** From 265 and up, they are Super Heavyweights
  24. Goldberg (266 lbs.)
  25. Sheamus (267 lbs.)
  26. Don Muraco (270 lbs.)
  27. Rhino (270 lbs.)
  28. Ron Simmons (270 lbs.)
  29. Stan Stasiak (270 lbs.)
  30. Billy Graham (275 lbs.)
  31. Bobby Lashley (275 lbs.)
  32. Lex Luger (275 lbs.)
  33. The Ultimate Warrior (275 lbs.)
  34. Scott Steiner (276 lbs.)
  35. Rhino (280 lbs.)
  36. Mick Foley (287 lbs.)
  37. Batista (290 lbs.)
  38. Mike Awesome (294 lbs.)
  39. Ivan Koloff (298 lbs.)
  40. JBL (298 lbs.)
  41. The Undertaker (299 lbs.)
  42. Sgt. Slaughter (300 lbs.)
  43. Hulk Hogan (302 lbs.)
  44. Nikolai Volkoff (313 lbs.)
  45. Sycho Sid (317 lbs.)
  46. Kane (323 lbs.)
  47. Kevin Nash (328 lbs.)
  48. The Great Khali (347 lbs.)
  49. Bam Bam Bigelow (400 lbs.)
  50. Mark Henry (418 lbs.)
  51. The Big Show (441 lbs.)
  52. Big Van Vader (450 lbs.)
  53. Andre the Giant (520 lbs.)
  54. Yokozuna (589 lbs.)

Anybody who is going on whining about whatever wrestlers they hate not deserving the title has this a million perecent wrong. They're wrestlers.

Here's the actual most undeserving champions....

WWE: Vince McMahon

WHC: David Arquette and Vince Russo.

You know why?

They're not even wrestlers.

Guys like Swagger and Ziggler have talent. The Miz was the best heel on the active roster at the time. Ludicrous suggestions.

The Great Khali has no talent in the ring and can barely speak. He was given a World Title because he is big and with the hope that it might raise the profile of the WWE in India. Valid reasons but not enough to warrant a World Heavyweight Championship. There were far better options. Just simply putting the belt on Batista for one. Kane? Even Matt Hardy who was having one of Smackdown's better feuds with MVP. Hardy was far more deserving then Khali.

Guys like Swagger and Ziggler have talent. The Miz was the best heel on the active roster at the time. Ludicrous suggestions.

Your ludicrous suggestion is coming up.

The Great Khali has no talent in the ring and can barely speak.

Who cares if he can speak? He didn't need to speak.

He was given a World Title because he is big and with the hope that it might raise the profile of the WWE in India. Valid reasons but not enough to warrant a World Heavyweight Championship.

Those valid reasons are enough for me to warrant a reign. You're making my case.

There were far better options.

Oh, really?

Just simply putting the belt on Batista for one.

People were tired of Batista being in every title match by that point. Also, he was pretty terrible when he wasn't working with the Undertaker.

:lmao:

Good one.

Even Matt Hardy who was having one of Smackdown's better feuds with MVP. Hardy was far more deserving then Khali.

Great feud? Dear lord.

Khali? Y?????? Ugh he sucked. Big doesn't mean good or even likable. Kane is a much better choice than Khali during his farce
I don't like batista myself but much rather c him than da Great Plant Khali

This is one of those threads that will lead to debates and everyone will argue because the question is one that doesnt have a true answer. Just about everyone that has been named so far was given the title for a specific reason whether you agree with it or not.
Alot of people are being extremely biased and ignoring the logical reasons for guys like Khali's title reigns.

So many of you are overlooking a guy that should definitely be on this list. WHERE THE HELL IS CM PUNK? The guy was leaving the freakin company. To this day I still dont understand what Vince was thinking. What if he never came back? That would have been the dumbest decision Vince ever made. Not only shouldnt he have won the match, he shouldnt have even been on the ppv. CM Punk cried his way to the top. I think Punk is great and all but he comes off as an, ungrateful whiny brat. Aww boo hoo I should have main evented even though nobody likes me. I was way better than the Miz, why did he get to face Cena at WM27? Im fat and dont go to the gym, i look like I havent slept in years, and im going to call myself the best in the world and put it on every shirt I wear in hopes that someone actually believes this crap someday.

PUNK IS THE MOST UNDESERVING!!!

Also there is no mention of Daniel bryan....you guys just cant say anything bad about you indy lovers lol

How about choosing a wrestler that didn't have to beat anyone in the ring for the World Championship, but instead had it handed to him on a silver platter? I'm talking about the first World Champion in WWE Triple H, who in kayfabe sense was the most undeserving World Champion thus far, simply on the fact that he didn't beat anyone to become champ.

The Great Khali, Jack Swagger, and Rey Mysterio from a storyline perspective at least won the championship by beating somebody else.

I was tempted to say The Great Khali, but now that I've thought about it, I dunno if any of them were really "undeserving" as they all seemed to have things going for them at the time that, to some degree or another, justified the push.

It's true that Khali can barely speak a word of English and can barely move. Frankly, I fail to see how anyone in this day & age could believe that people would invest their time in someone like that. If it was 1967 rather than 2007 when Khali won the title, I could honestly see him headlining MSG against Sammartino and selling the place out night after night. His freakish size and build could have made him comparable to Andre the Giant in terms of being a huge attraction.

I will say this about Khali though: he's always done his best. His best might not exactly be all that good, but he's always tried his best with the many limits he has and I respect that.

Your ludicrous suggestion is coming up.

Who cares if he can speak? He didn't need to speak.

Those valid reasons are enough for me to warrant a reign. You're making my case.

Oh, really?

People were tired of Batista being in every title match by that point. Also, he was pretty terrible when he wasn't working with the Undertaker.

:lmao:

Good one.

Great feud? Dear lord.

This Little Jerry Lawler guy is the biggest Khali mark I've ever seen. I guess everyone has their fans, but I've never seen anyone defend such a useless wrestler the way this guy does.

He'd probably defend Giant Gonzalez winning the WWE title in 1993, because they're basically the same wrestler. Being a credible monster does not mean you are deserving of being a World Champion. Sorry, but you're wrong. The proof is in the fact that he's a complete joke on the roster right now.

A credible champion shouldn't be reduced to a jobber comedic relief act once he's no longer being pushed by the hype machine. Khali was a mistake back then and he's a mistake now. His current status and crowd reaction prove it. The fact that he's such a joke now means that his reign devalued the title. Because essentially any jobber at the right time can be champion. False.

I don't know if you're Indian. Or just a major Khali mark. But either way, you're wrong.

Bundy, Vader, Bigelow, Giant Gonzalez, Earthquake, One Man Gang, Viscera, Kurgan, Rikishi, Umaga weren't good enough to be champions just because they were "monsters", and neither was Khali. Just because you're big doesn't mean you deserve it.

@CrucifiedRaven;are you serious?? your lumping VADER AND BAM BAM in the same class as Khali!!! its a damn shame that either of those two legends never got the WWF title. Bam Bam was one of the best, most agile big men in the sport and Vader was a MONSTER in WCW and he was over as f*ck so please don't insult real fans like myself by lumping Khali in with these men cause he's a joke...in a bad way.

@CrucifiedRaven;are you serious?? your lumping VADER AND BAM BAM in the same class as Khali!!! its a damn shame that either of those two legends never got the WWF title. Bam Bam was one of the best, most agile big men in the sport and Vader was a MONSTER in WCW and he was over as f*ck so please don't insult real fans like myself by lumping Khali in with these men cause he's a joke...in a bad way.

I'm not saying Khali is on their level at all. They were actually great big men and deserved the pushes they got. But the point I'm trying to make is just because you are big does not make you deserving.

This Little Jerry Lawler guy is the biggest Khali mark I've ever seen. I guess everyone has their fans, but I've never seen anyone defend such a useless wrestler the way this guy does.

He'd probably defend Giant Gonzalez winning the WWE title in 1993, because they're basically the same wrestler. Being a credible monster does not mean you are deserving of being a World Champion. Sorry, but you're wrong. The proof is in the fact that he's a complete joke on the roster right now.

A credible champion shouldn't be reduced to a jobber comedic relief act once he's no longer being pushed by the hype machine. Khali was a mistake back then and he's a mistake now. His current status and crowd reaction prove it. The fact that he's such a joke now means that his reign devalued the title. Because essentially any jobber at the right time can be champion. False.

I don't know if you're Indian. Or just a major Khali mark. But either way, you're wrong.

Bundy, Vader, Bigelow, Giant Gonzalez, Earthquake, One Man Gang, Viscera, Kurgan, Rikishi, Umaga weren't good enough to be champions just because they were "monsters", and neither was Khali. Just because you're big doesn't mean you deserve it.

Khali had a pretty decent booking for his main event run. I'm not saying I liked him, but I'm saying he was booked well for years.

He actually had a couple of big PPV matches after his title loss. He had that Punjabi Prison match with Batista, his WWE title match with Triple H and a couple of matches with Kane at SummerSlam and Breaking Point. He also had some solid Rumble and Chamber spots where he was booked dominantly before entering them, and he also had a US title shot in 2012 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not saying putting the title on him was the right call, but they needed someone for the win at the time. They knew they weren't going to be able to keep that momentum on Khali for a long time so if they were going to try and make money off of him, now was the time. I don't think it was that bad a call as everyone makes it out to be.

(Now, what I would have done was simple. Undertaker was coming back soon. Kane was the #1 Contender. I would have had them book a battle royal at The Bash for the world title. Kane would complain that he was the #1 Contender and should get the title by default. At The Bash, he no-shows the battle royal, and Batista wins. Vince then comes out announcing Batista isn't champion yet, he has to defend it against the #1 Contender. Kane comes out, wins the title, and then defends it against Batista at SummerSlam. He then drops it to Taker who returned at Unforgiven. Taker moves on to the feud with Batista WWE was planning all along, but have Batista take the title off Taker instead of retaining it.)

not to leave out david arquette who sucked. but the miz should never had the opportunity he was given. i wlll admit that he has improved a lot lately. still no world champ.

It's Jack Swagger for me. They hoped that the belt would get him over but he really damaged that championship to a point where I don't think it fully recovered from. Was surprised they did this as Triple H, in particular, seems to understand that the guy has to make the belt, not the other way around.

I can understand giving the title to Khali, I mean the guy is a freak show whose size alone draws interest from casual fans. Not saying I would have given him the belt but I do understand it. I'm actual confused that people bracket the Miz in this too. His story was a very logical one to tell, they pulled off the title win nicely and he could have had a better run with it if he wasn't booked to be completely overlooked by the Cena vs Rock storyline. I thought he even held his own against those two on the mic when given the chance.

Khali, hands down, though I gotta say I love Little Jerry Lawler's impassioned argument for the guy! If this were for any championship I'd give it to Arquette but if we're talking the WWE title it's hard to find a more undeserving talent than Khali, and I actually find the guy entertaining sometimes!

The WWE was opening up and expanding in India - That's a great point until one realizes that one's nationality makes them as deserving of a championship as if they oh, I don't know, like tacos?

They needed to put the belt on someone. Again, in no way does that make Khali deserving of the position he was put in.

He's an amazing physical specimen. Well then heck, I guess he deserved it.

Khali has maybe five moves. I believe Little Jerry Lawler responded by asking what other moves the giant is expected to do? It's a fair point, but again does not speak to Khali meriting the title.

I think people are getting distracted from the question posed. It's not, "Who got too much thrust upon him?" It's not, "Who did you hate as champion?" It's, "Who is the most undeserving?", and no one can match Khali in that regard.

I've seen a lot of people mentioned Khali, so I think I'll step into another but similar direction.

Diesel. His reign as champion honestly did more damage to the company than actual good, he honestly shouldn't have been anywhere near the title as far as I'm concerned, he didn't add anything to the company in my eyes or the title for that matter. Lot of the blame could go onto WWF at the time, and how bad things were, but for the time and with Nash holding that title, it certainly did help. (Was WWF, but still counts to me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back