Where Have All The Power Couples Gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Power couples used to be a hot thing in the WWE. You had Triple H and Stephanie(thekayfabe version before they were married in real life), Edge and Lita, Edge and Vickie, Booker T and Sharmell, Vince McMahon and Trish Stratus. They all provided us with great moments, and dominated the WWF/WWE for a good period.

Power couples are another thing WWE seems to have lost along the way. It's something that made wrestling feel special, and has been abandoned or done poorly throughout the years. Instead, WWE has tried to conjure up comedy versions, such as Santino and Beth, Dolph Ziggler and Maria, or Santino and Maria. I thought WWE might be going some where with Vickie and Eric Escobar, but they abandoned that fairly quickly. I really don't know what WWE's intetions are with Zack Ryder and Rosa Mendes, but I don't have too much hope for them.

If you ask me, Edge and Lita were the last great power couple. Let's try to forget about what went on in real life, and focus on what they did in the WWE. Edge and Lita were perfect together. They were like the modern day Bonnie & Clyde of pro wrestling. Edge and Lita came at a perfect time because this was back when Edge was on the rise, and the best heel in the WWE at the time. Lita was at the top of the women's division, and was something fresh as far as your typical diva goes. Plus, the icing on the cake was having both of them be world champions some time in 2006.

Since I don't really see any hope for Menders and Ryder, my pick for WWE's next power couple would be.....Maryse and The Miz. This is something that's kind of been teased by WWE every now and then. Think of these two together. They're both good heels, and they have lots of charisma to go with it. If WWE does this right, it could be huge.

So what are your thoughts on power couples? Do you think they should return? Why or why not? I know I would love to see WWE bring back power couples the right way because it adds another dimension to the entertainment side of wrestling.

I think Edge/Vickie was the last great power couple. I'm not certain I can see Miz and Maryse as a power couple. In my opinion for a power couple to be considered that, they need great influence over the company/brand/whatever or be the world champion and Miz isn't ready for a world title shot yet

Is anyone really a power couple? The only examples here that make sense to me are HHH/Stephanie, and Edge/Vickie. Otherwise it's "powerful male" and "female with no power whatsoever." Trish had nothing to help Vince, Lita had nothing to help Edge. For me to view someone as a power couple it would almost certainly have to be Heavyweight Champion/GM/Vince paired with GM/Stephanie/Linda. In any other case I wouldn't buy the "power."

Maybe we should bring back some decent diva wrestling first. I remember watching on Raw, Maryse vs those twins, that match was horrible. All diva matches now are horrible. Except for Melina's, she actually tries to make it acceptable.

I miss exciting diva matches like Lita, Trish, Victoria, Jazz. *sigh*

So what are your thoughts on power couples? Do you think they should return? Why or why not? I know I would love to see WWE bring back power couples the right way because it adds another dimension to the entertainment side of wrestling.

I think power couples can be interesting, but I prefer the Edge/Lita type of power couple because with those you have a top male and top female helping each other out. Towards the end of 2006 (right before Cena's year long reign started) you had Edge as the WWE Champion and Lita was the Women's Champion, at the same time. They helped each other out during this time and it was really entertaining. I prefer those to the power couples where one is a wrestler but the other is an authority figure. The couple changes the rules all the time to help the wrestler win. I don't like those as much.

Ryder and Rosa could potentially become a power couple some day but I doubt it as both are stuck on ECW right now. Miz and Maryse could maybe become one, with Maryse winning the Divas title and Miz retaining his US title. It wouldn't be as good as Edge & Lita, but the best since them because they might get to both be champions at the same time, become an item, and help each other keep their titles like Edge & Lita did.

I think that power couples should return but only if it is between a male wrestler and a diva, not between a wrestler and an authority figure because it is more interesting to see a wrestler work with a diva rather than a GM and it is something we have not seen for a few years.

Yeah, I think the mytique of the power couple has diminished over the years in WWE. Not since Edge/Vickie have we seen an influential couple that has dominated the company like they did. Triple H and Stephanie set the standard but now it's lacking in direction on creative side to really push the next power couple. I like the way they are slowly building Miz and Maryse program since last year, but if they want this to work, they should strongly build Maryse up to a level like the Miz and when I say that, I mean that she has to be so obnoxious just like the Miz as where you both have no choice but the fans to love to hate them. On a side note, for being a heel, Miz is over with the fans in which Maryse definitely needs the proverbial rub cuz she has no connection with the audience other than that hair thing she does in her entrance.

So what are your thoughts on power couples? Do you think they should return? Why or why not? I know I would love to see WWE bring back power couples the right way because it adds another dimension to the entertainment side of wrestling.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been liking his posts too for quite some time.

Let's not over-do it. Too many power couples are disengaging for the viewers. I think a mid-card power couple like Miz and Maryse could be good, but not too many. I think in TNA, Bobby Lashley and his wife are now the power couple there. Mainly because Lashley is poor on the mic.. his wife is much better.

I think that the last great power couples were Edge/Lita, Booker/Sharmell, Edge/Vicki. But honesly, they have to be something more than just a made up storyline. Edge/Lita, Booker/Sharmell, HHH/Stephanie, Savage/Elizabeth all worked because they were actual couples. Edge/Vicki was a dumb angle that you knew for a fact was going to end at some point. The real life couples make it difficult to see where angle is going.

The Edge/Vicky storyline absolutely killed this concept in wrestling for me. I used to think it was a great way to push women within the WWE. Asscociating Women with men is easily the best way to get them over. But if you over-do it, people stop caring. Lita wouldn't have nearly been as hated had she not been with Edge (Although even if WWE hadn't put them together, the fans would of disliked her for doing Edge). I thought the Edge/Lita storyline was brilliant...

...But for 18 months, Edge and Vickie were on top on Smackdown. And for 18 months the same feuds were repeated. Once with Vickie on Edge's side. And one with Vicke on the other guys' side. I got so bored of the "Marriage" that I almost wrote Smackdown off altogether.

Maybe Miz and Maryse can do something, but I don't think it'll go too far. To be honest, this concept has just turned into another half-assed idea that creative put together. It's fallen into the same league as ringside managers now. So where have they gone? Into Vince McMahon's magical box of fuck-ups

I guess we have to seperate power couples from simple groupings of a manager and a superstar. Miz and Maryse are simply that, a superstar with a manager. As far as power couples, right now none stand out as possibilities, because we lack any dominated figures of power that are accepting a partner on top. Easiest thing to do would have a new woman on top of Raw or Smackdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back