WCW Region, Phoenix Subregion, First Round:(15)Big Daddy vs. (18)Jushin Thunder Liger

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Big Daddy

• Jushin Thunder Liger

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Los Angeles Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

070217-198..jpg

63178454_129293774599.jpg

#15. Big Daddy

Vs.

file_186789_6_jushin-thunder-liger.jpg

#18. Jushin Thunder Liger

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

I feel that Big Daddy is underrated in this tournament. Sure, England isn't exactly the biggest country but that shouldn't take away from the fact that Big Daddy was a massive draw. So big a draw that the pro wrestling scene in the country hasn't seen the heights that it did when the man passed away. The man had a huge legacy, that can't be denied. Even if the country he worked didn't have as many people as other countries. His legend was even revered by the Queen herself, who named Big Daddy among her favorite performers. Emperor Akihito probably does not share the same sentiment on Jushin Liger.

Speaking of Liger he was treated more like a novelty than a major draw. He was regarded as the best light heavyweight to come out of Japan, but he was never booked to beat any big name heavyweight. He lost to the likes of Great Muta numerous times. He hardly ever, if never, worked against Vader or Brody or Hansen... or even Inoki or Hashimoto... because he would have been destroyed. The same way most little guys are against big heavyweights. And it would have been the same way against Big Daddy.

I'll take the greatest wrestler England has ever had over a great light heavyweight that never showed he could defeat the giants.

Sorry Liger. Bad draw. Vote Big Daddy.

I hate this draw but realistically there is no way that Liger can win this. For one Big Daddy is an amazing talent who is one of the most over people in the history of his country, but that's not the reason I'm picking Big Daddy here.

I'm picking big daddy because Liger couldn't beat guys like him. When Liger was against big men he lost, and to have him against a man the size of Big Daddy makes me think that Liger would have little to no chance here.

Big Daddy Splash down on Liger for the one two three

+10000 to everyone. I'm British and I dislike Big Daddy. I don't like him being in this tournament as it's just not possible to compare him with whomever he faces - he never had anything close to the level of competition they did.

You book him against Dynamite Kid in his prime though (the first guy that worked in the UK that I could compare to Liger) - the match would be laughed out the building and Daddy would never leave his feet. Easy~! Easy~! Easy~!

Liger is criminally overrated in this tournament imo. He's incredible, yeah, but the entire reason for his dominance is the segregated weight classes in Japan. One of the greatest lightweights =/= one of the greatest wrestlers. Find me a match where he beats an established big man and I'll consider putting him over. I don't think it exists. There is no way Big Daddy is entered in this tournament, only to tarnish his gigantic legacy by losing to a guy smaller than he has ever lost to. Nor is it the place for Liger to pick up his first meaningful win against a giant.

It's over. Daddy wins but he won't be getting past Undertaker in the next.

No disrespect to Liger, but he doesn't stand a chance here. I don't car how fast he is or how many flips he can do, he won't be taking a guy like Big Daddy down, it would look ridiculous. The other thing that bugs me about Liger is he is another big Japanese Wrestling Star, who flopped big time anywhere outside of Japan. He's going to get thrown to the mat and squashed like a bug by Big Daddy! 1-2-3 Big Daddy wins my Vote!

Big Daddy I guess. This is the least interesting match to me so far. I know some of our British posters are all about Big Daddy. I just don't see it. I'll give him a first round vote just because of the size advantage. Liger's style isn't going to work too well against Daddy. Daddy moves on but the reward is getting squashed by Taker in the next round.

I am going to have to disagree with the majority here. Every year it seems that Ligar is given no respect. Every year he seems to fall to wrestlers he should run circles around and it is usually do to size.

First, while I will not say that Ligar often defeated larger men he did have wins over some including Hase and Muta. He did indeed get in the ring with the likes of Vadar, Hansan, Choshu, Savage and Inoki( admittedly mainly in tag matches). He was an innovative wrestler who could pull wins out of nowhere.

Now, Big Daddy deserves all the respect he gets but...like Lawler he was a big fish in a small pond. Unlike Lawler he never left his pond. While he did dominate wrestling in England he never left like all the stars of the 70s and 80s did in other countries. Add to that the fact that major stars rarely came to England and it is tough to rank Daddy up with other greats of the time. Including Ligar.

It is true that if Daddy hits a big power move it will be done but we( or you ) are forgetting that Daddy was vulnerable to smaller men. One of his biggest foes( and not in size ) was a skinny little masked guy named Kendo Nagasaki. Nagasaki was able to pin Daddy. In England.

[YOUTUBE]vm3t5IeczZI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]I5b1fjsIEIk[/YOUTUBE]

Add to it that Ligar came often to America while Daddy didn't and I believe Ligar has this match.

I wanted to vote Liger, but I just can't see it. Big Daddy would eventually get a hold of him and the power would be too much for Liger. I don't think there is too much Liger could throw at him that would be able to keep him down for a three count. Big Daddy wins.

Liger does a lot of flippy flips. I don't know about you guys, but I love flippy flips. He can flippy flip with the best of them, Big Daddy never did a flippy flip in his life. Actually, I don't know if flippy flipped or not, I've always had colored T.V Either way, Liger wins with a back flip.

I am going to have to disagree with the majority here. Every year it seems that Ligar is given no respect. Every year he seems to fall to wrestlers he should run circles around and it is usually do to size.

As if! Jushin Liger beat Shawn Michaels one year. Shawn Michaels. Shawn Michaels.

Big Daddy would win this because he's better. A bigger draw in his home country, on a wrestling show that although never went international, did launch several international stars. They still show Big Daddy matches in the nXt centre to show people how to work the crowd.

Liger is a phenomenal talent, but is he likely to lose here.

The Kendo Nagasaki videos are amusing, but what it misses is the 700 times that Big Daddy beat Kendo Nagasaki. That being said, the only thing that Nagasaki has in common with Liger is that they are both 'Japanese'. Nagasaki was 6'2" and 230lbs. That's not a small man. Daddy wins.

As if! Jushin Liger beat Shawn Michaels one year. Shawn Michaels. Shawn Michaels.

I'll give you that one.

Big Daddy would win this because he's better.

No he is not.

A bigger draw in his home country, on a wrestling show that although never went international, did launch several international stars. They still show Big Daddy matches in the nXt centre to show people how to work the crowd.

Which puts us back to my Lawler comment. Or Von Erich if you like. The Armstrongs. All were big on their home turf but no one will argue they should go far in these tournaments.

Liger is a phenomenal talent, but is he likely to lose here.

Only if people vote incorrectly.

The Kendo Nagasaki videos are amusing, but what it misses is the 700 times that Big Daddy beat Kendo Nagasaki. That being said, the only thing that Nagasaki has in common with Liger is that they are both 'Japanese'. Nagasaki was 6'2" and 230lbs. That's not a small man. Daddy wins.

Interesting number. Where did you get it? Nagasaki rarely lost to Big Daddy and had a winning record against him. At best count he was 50-14 against Daddy. There was an archive site that had their matches but it is now down. I did find this...

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/britainhistory.html

which says...

Crabtree had a simple idea to turn business around, one that would spark the next boom - and bust. His brother Shirley, who had been unemployed for the best part of 15 years, was repackaged as 'Big Daddy', the larger-then-life favourite of children and pensioners everywhere. That he was no longer a bodybuilder youth, rather an overweight man in his forties, did not seem to be an obstacle. Every major heel in the country tasted defeat at Daddy's hands, usually in short order thanks to Crabtree's lack of conditioning.

Within a few months of his return, Daddy had even torn off the mask of Kendo Nagasaki, a mysterious heel that had been a top draw since unmasking rival Count Bartelli in 1966. Nagasaki was one of the few men to avoid jobbing to Daddy, instead voluntarily unmasking in a bizarre ceremony in 1977, before retiring the following year.

There is no doubt that, for the Crabtree family at least, the Big Daddy express proved hugely successful. He was by far the best known wrestler in British history, with his own cartoon show on television; Hulkamania without the in-ring ability. His run was extended by carefully positioning him in tag matches, allowing a host of young partners (which included Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid and the future Steven Regal) to carry the match before tagging Daddy in for the finish. His two biggest singles matches, defeating the Canadian 'Mighty' John Quinn in 1979 and perennial rival Giant Haystacks two years later were both inexplicably successful; claims of 18 million viewers may require a healthy dose of scepticism, but both shows sold out the 10,000 seat Wembley Arena. The loyal followers were even able to overlook the truly atrocious nature of the matches, both lasting less than three minutes.

Beat Nagasaki 700 times huh?

Big Daddy was a novelty act that was huge with children and old women. He brought in viewers but it was others who did all the work. Liger would kill him.

Preference? Liger.

Issue I have here is though I prefer Liger, I just cannot justify voting for him over Big Daddy. I see no way that any version of Liger can handle someone the size of Big Daddy in a singles match. Maybe if this were a tag bout & Liger had help chopping down the tree, but alone- Liger isnt winning this one. Liger Bomb is a non factor as would be the Brainbuster or even the CTB. In a match against someone closer to his weight- Liger has a proven record. Against someone the size of Big Daddy- his moves are rendered useless.

Big Daddy gets this one done.

I'll give you that one.

No he is not.

Which puts us back to my Lawler comment. Or Von Erich if you like. The Armstrongs. All were big on their home turf but no one will argue they should go far in these tournaments.

Only if people vote incorrectly.

Interesting number. Where did you get it? Nagasaki rarely lost to Big Daddy and had a winning record against him. At best count he was 50-14 against Daddy. There was an archive site that had their matches but it is now down. I did find this...

http://www.wrestling-titles.com/europe/uk/britainhistory.html

which says...

Beat Nagasaki 700 times huh?

Big Daddy was a novelty act that was huge with children and old women. He brought in viewers but it was others who did all the work. Liger would kill him.

If you can't see the obvious bias in the source you quoted, there is literally no point in having this conversation with you.

Preference? Liger.

Issue I have here is though I prefer Liger, I just cannot justify voting for him over Big Daddy. I see no way that any version of Liger can handle someone the size of Big Daddy in a singles match. Maybe if this were a tag bout & Liger had help chopping down the tree, but alone- Liger isnt winning this one. Liger Bomb is a non factor as would be the Brainbuster or even the CTB. In a match against someone closer to his weight- Liger has a proven record. Against someone the size of Big Daddy- his moves are rendered useless.

Big Daddy gets this one done.

If you watch the videos I posted on the first page you will see Big Daddy get beat twice by a smaller wrestler who defeated him with an open hand chop. I think Liger can throw an open hand chop.

If you can't see the obvious bias in the source you quoted, there is literally no point in having this conversation with you.

Here is a write up on the Author and his book.

John Lister is one of Britain's most respected wrestling journalists. Mixing travelogue, humour, fiction, history and opinion, this collection brings together the best of his work from the past fourteen years. The first section of this book features three epic accounts of voyages to see wrestling in the United States, from the ECW Arena to the Dallas Sportatorium by way of WWF pay-per-views and Memphis television. The second section comprises more than 40 articles, some previously unpublished, including histories of British and American wrestling, the statistics behind WCW's collapse, and a disgraceful allegation about Tommy Rich.

And his creds...
About the Author

John Lister has been writing for wrestling publications since 1990, but is best known for his time at commercial magazine PowerSlam.

Among the titles he has written for are Spiked Piledriver, Hulk Who? Wrestling Insight, Suckerpunch, Wrestling Wrap-Up, Moonsault Xtra, Wrestling's Last Hope and Pro Wrestling Press.

He has made several trips to the United States to watch wrestling, attending shows in Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, New York, Texas, Ohio, New Jersey, North Carolina, Virginia, Nevada and Washington State.

He is a qualified journalist with a BA in Print Journalism, with bylined pieces in The Mirror, and wrote the three front-page splashes that won the Guardian/NUS Best Newspaper title at the 1998 Student Media Awards.

From 1998-2005 he was press officer and spokesman for Plain English Campaign, an independent pressure group fighting for clearer public information. This work included appearances on BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and Sky News, more than 500 local, national and international radio interviews, and countless press articles including front page pieces in The Times and The Independent.

My guess there is no more bias then you or I have. Good cop out answer.

If you watch the videos I posted on the first page you will see Big Daddy get beat twice by a smaller wrestler who defeated him with an open hand chop. I think Liger can throw an open hand chop.

You can show me a video of Batman doing the Mexican hat dance for all I care, but it wont change the outcome of this match. If you think that someone is going over in a legends tournament with an overhand chop, then you have no idea how things are booked.

Sure, Liger can chop. Problem is that his 'magical' chopping abilities will not help him against someone like Big Daddy. I have already said I like Liger better, but against someone the size of his opponent- he has nothing that will get the job done. If you expect me to believe that he goes over Daddy without being able to use his 3 most devastating finishers- you are nuts.

A chop is not taking down Big Daddy in a legends tourament- Liger would be booked to lose this match.

Its easy, easy.

You know, maybe I really am that stupid. Two different posters have basically said that I don't know how things are. Why am I bothering. I was just going to crawl away but then I thought...what a learning opportunity. Maybe I should reply and allow Tastycles and Nightmare to help me along. Why not.

I don't see the bias. It was written by an award winning british author who traced the history of british wrestling. He says that Crabtrees brother was his promoter; that Crabtree was in his forties and out of shape when he started the Big Daddy persona. From what I have read, that's all true.

Now I had read the Nagasaki info before. I knew he was a tough opponent for Daddy. And since the only matches that I could find where all Nagasaki wins or draws, I think the author was correct again.

So this brings us to his big singles matches. Seeing is believing so I found the match with Giant Haystacks.

[YOUTUBE]0DSro4l_0cE[/YOUTUBE]

So this big grudge match lasted about 2:45, consisted of the two hugging each other and running into each other and had no wrestling holds at all. Lets see what Mr. Lister wrote...

There is no doubt that, for the Crabtree family at least, the Big Daddy express proved hugely successful. He was by far the best known wrestler in British history, with his own cartoon show on television; Hulkamania without the in-ring ability. His run was extended by carefully positioning him in tag matches, allowing a host of young partners (which included Davey Boy Smith, Dynamite Kid and the future Steven Regal) to carry the match before tagging Daddy in for the finish. His two biggest singles matches, defeating the Canadian 'Mighty' John Quinn in 1979 and perennial rival Giant Haystacks two years later were both inexplicably successful; claims of 18 million viewers may require a healthy dose of scepticism, but both shows sold out the 10,000 seat Wembley Arena. The loyal followers were even able to overlook the truly atrocious nature of the matches, both lasting less than three minutes.

Seems true to me. I still fail to see how what I discovered is biased or untrue. Weird.

You can show me a video of Batman doing the Mexican hat dance for all I care, but it wont change the outcome of this match. If you think that someone is going over in a legends tournament with an overhand chop, then you have no idea how things are booked.

Sure, Liger can chop. Problem is that his 'magical' chopping abilities will not help him against someone like Big Daddy. I have already said I like Liger better, but against someone the size of his opponent- he has nothing that will get the job done. If you expect me to believe that he goes over Daddy without being able to use his 3 most devastating finishers- you are nuts.

A chop is not taking down Big Daddy in a legends tourament- Liger would be booked to lose this match.

Its easy, easy.

I don't understand wrestling and booking. Magic chop. Ok.

Many times in tornement situations results are gotten without signature moves. Bret hart won the King of the Ring without the Sharpshooter. Savage used his elbowdrop two out of four matches to win the title. JYD defeated savage in the Wrestling Classic with a backdrop out of the ring. To suggest that Liger could not go over the same way is unreasonable. He could hit a moonsault or a star press. He could hit his rolling koppu kick or his shotei chop. As shown Big Daddy is vulnerable to chops, whether you like it or not. Just because he can't use the Ligerbomb or the LigerDriver is irrelevant.

Now, in your first post you said Liger could not win because of Big Daddys size. Now you say he can't win because of booking. Way to stay consistent.

Now, I am no wrestling booker but I will take a stab at what you are saying.

Match takes place at Phoenix, Arizona and is in the WCW region so we must assume it is booked by WCW. That is always the argument from you guys who use booking; HHH or Hogan wouldn't be booked to lose in the WWE region etc etc.

So we have a old, out of shape, immobile wrestler who has never left England to compete anywhere else, who is unknown to the American crowd. Who not only had to cross the Atlantic but also had to cross country.

He is taking on a agile, innovative wrestler who has competed in Canada, USA, Mexico and Japan. He has worked for WCW in the past, has held a championship in WCW, has competed at and won matches at WCW PPVs and( although he lost ) wrestled the first match ever on Monday Nitro.

And you are saying that the unknown, fat british wrestler would be booked over a former WCW employee and champion.

Guess I don't get booking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back