WCW Region, Phoenix Subregion, Second Round: (10) Kevin Nash vs. (26) Gene Kiniski

Who Wins This Matchup?

• Kevin Nash

• Gene Kiniski

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a second round match in the WCW Region, Phoenix Subregion. It is a standard one on one match held under WCW Rules. It will be held at the US Airways Center in Phoenix, Arizona.

070217-198..jpg

Kevin-Nash.png

#10. Kevin Nash

Vs.

200px-Gene_Kiniski.jpg

#26. Gene Kiniski

Polls will be open for four days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Assume that all wrestlers are at full strength after their first round matches.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Since the polls are up I suppose I should take a crack at this one since no one else has.

Both of these guys have multiple things in common. Both were primarily heels during their heyday, both were multiple time world champions, and both were big stars. Despite that I'm leaning towards Kiniski because of the quality of his feuds, matches, and longevity. Was Kevin Nash really remembered for being a champion, or was he more remembered for stunts like ending Goldberg's streak or the finger poke of doom? Seemed like the people that he rode with defined him more than he actually did himself.

Kiniski was Canada's self proclaimed greatest athlete and had several noteworthy feuds with the big names of his time like Sammartino, Carpentier, and Killer Kowalski while working his way up. And he finally achieved the biggest prize at the time - the NWA title, and he went through Lou Thesz - the biggest star at the time in order to do so. And he held that title for over 1100 days and defended it regularly against every big name in the industry in the different territories as the biggest heel of his era. The man just couldn't be stopped.

Nash's title reigns came and went as fast as he'd win them. 97 days total he spent as WCW champion, and most of his reigns came in 1999 when the company started going down hill. From his second title reign to his fifth title reign there wasn't a single champion that could hold the belt longer than 2 months because the belt got hot potattoed so often. And it's arguable that Wolfpack Big Sexy was more relevant as a star than Big Daddy Cool Diesel.

Unlike Nash, Kiniski was built up to be a force to be reckoned with. He was the man to beat in the industry, and for years no one really could. Even after his monumental reign Kiniski still went on to wrestle prominently throughout the US and Canada. He became a promoter and helped turn Vancouver into a financial hotbed. Nash made some appearances in the WWE here and there, but nothing notable.

Gene Kiniski should be the winner here. He was the bigger star, had a bigger legacy, and had more impact on the business as a whole. Nash was part of two groups that were both bigger than he was, and he was not really the standout of either.

For that I'm voting "Canada's greatest athlete" Gene Kiniski.

I'm one of the few that liked the WWF when Diesel was on top. I thought he was a good WWF champion and enjoyed his one year reign. After that he seemed to kind of coast for the rest of his career. He made his name with two good years in the WWF and let his reputation carry him in WCW. He road Hogan's coattails and let his association with the nwo define him. That's not enough to get by Kiniski.

Why does Kevin Nash get so much love on this forum?

Or is it that not many people know about Gene Kiniski?

Either way, I'll take someone who beat Lou Thesz to be NWA champion over someone who's credentials include gimmicks such as OZ and Vinnie Vegas.

Vote Kiniski. For wrestling's sake.

I also liked the WWF at the time that Diesel was champion. I didn't even think his title defense against King Mabel was all that bad. He had good matches with Bret Hart, Undertaker, and HBK. He formed the NWO. He has done a lot in wrestling, but in WCW i just never saw him as a top guy. He never held the title very long, and he just seemed to blend in to me. I am no expert on Kiniski, but from what I know he accomplished more than Nash, and was a bigger star. Kiniski gets the win.

I think Brain's point about Nash riding on a wave of popularity for his whole career is cutting and accurate. Nash became a big name without really doing anything, and then remained there by being involved in huge storylines in WCW (though never exactly really doing anything of note within them.) Kiniski is the sort of guy who worked in an era where to be a success you had to earn it, and I think as a result he deserves your vote here.

Nash, much like Scott Hall, is remembered as being more important than he actually was probably due to the nWo and the Kliq. Kiniski defeated Lou Thesz to become NWA World Champion and defended the title around the world for 3 years. Plus, he won the title in the greatest city in the world. I'm voting Kiniski.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back