Video Game Music

[YOUTUBE]J7q1oAK8gR0[/YOUTUBE]

Puddle Of Mudd's Famous- UFC Undisputed
This was the first thing I heard when I popped in my copy of UFC Undisputed 2009 for the first time and man is it great. This one one of many that you get when you're at the menu and you're choosing your fighter, venue, referee, etc...But out of all the songs in the game this is actually one that I listened to before getting the game and it's from one of my favorite bands, it's perfect for the game not only because of it's awesome sound that is very fitting of a fighting game but it's about getting famous and that's part of the road to becoming a professional fighter.

Tales of Phantasia - "Take Up the Cross"

This week I bring you a few versions of "Take Up the Cross" from Tales of Phantasia. It is one of my favorite battle themes, and many versions of it exist out there. Let's take a look. Three that I posted are from different platforms the game was released on and the fourth is a remix I found a couple of years ago. All versions of it are great, it's the type of track that makes you look forward to random encounters rather than avoid them in frustration.

[YOUTUBE]Ll7aFd8c6jk[/YOUTUBE]

This is the original SNES version. It has aged quite well and still sounds great. It's not the best version though....

[YOUTUBE]-zl0q3CrkxE[/YOUTUBE]

This is the Playstation version, and this is the best version of it in my opinion because it sounds beautiful and is everything that the original SNES version wishes it could have been.

[YOUTUBE]tz1h_-WeWnM[/YOUTUBE]

GBA version. Probably my least favorite version of the song, but still another fun battle track to listen to. :)

[YOUTUBE]kxN_B8H2W6A[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a remixed version that I found a while back. It's second only to the PSX version as my favorite version of the track. It sounds amazing.

Now that the new Legend of Zelda game, Skyward Sword, has come out.... It's only appropriate that I do a Zelda track this time around. Let's have a look at the two first games in the series and the tracks that play in the temples of each.

[YOUTUBE]cMssCMqMHuk[/YOUTUBE]

Intimidation in 8 bit form. This game didn't NEED a boss theme because the underworld theme was creepy enough, making you afraid of what was waiting for you around the next corner. Would you make it through the entire temple, or would there be an army of Wizzrobes and Darknuts waiting to prevent you from reaching the lair of the temple's boss? I think of memorable boss fights from this game too when I hear this track.

[YOUTUBE]7a7Sh82Mzdc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Here we have the temple track from the second game. Not one of my favorite games in the series, but it gave us this track. A good mix of catchy and creepy. It also saw a remake in the Smash Bros series for the Hyrule Temple stage.

I might or might not do a couple more oldschool Zelda tracks in the next update, before sharing my thoughts on some of the new stuff in Skyward Sword.

[YOUTUBE]gVJp3FGPCyc&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Oh man does this one bring back major memories, I listened to this one for hours while me and my friends selected out Pokemon to battle with on Free Battle mode in Pokemon Stadium on N64. I picked out alot of great sets of Pokemon to kick my friend's asses with while listening to this song, and it's probably one of the more enjoyable songs in the game. Well anything is better than that annoying ass from the Mini Games Menu below...

[YOUTUBE]5IJGjyiaxzI[/YOUTUBE]

Had this stuck in my head for a couple days now. Weird considering I've hardly played the original Star Fox. It's very catchy despite being a bit short. This just makes me think of how much I want a new Star Fox game. Get on it Nintendo!

[youtube]Zo--WWUjbtU[/youtube]

[YOUTUBE]VQhuNfZ_GJk[/YOUTUBE]
Love this song. The piano beginning is great, and then when the guitar kicks in, epic.

[YOUTUBE]MBeniLv1KQM[/YOUTUBE]
When it comes to metal remixes it's pretty hard to get better than the duo of Stemage and Goat together in one song.

[YOUTUBE]0GuMXU_qGfU[/YOUTUBE]

Come on this a song isn't it. Hilarious! Unlike the other music which is made to give the game an epic or hopeless tone this one makes you laugh your ass off. This comes from the N64's failed attempt to draw in Hardcore Gamers from the fresh Sony PlayStation that had stolen some of it's major franchises.

[YOUTUBE]z2SMcn_p92Q[/YOUTUBE]

THIS however IS epic and is meant to be. In the game when you just played this, you only friend has died, the girl you want is still unconscious, and you have to fight the final Colossus ( an enormous fortress) alone. The music for the battle fits and is a fine conclusion to Shadow of the Colossus. I think it is a rather beautiful piece of music that makes you dread the hopelessness as you slay the final giant and move on to the game's conclusion. One of my favorite tracks of all time simple because it fits the situation you are in flawlessly

Well anything is better than that annoying ass from the Mini Games Menu below...

[YOUTUBE]5IJGjyiaxzI[/YOUTUBE]

Hey, I liked that song. :suspic:

Anyway, here's my pick for the day.

[YOUTUBE]PzdfrtCZ0dc[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a hardcore fan of the Pokemon video game series. Played my Black version the other day after a hiatus that lasted since the summer. I absolutely love the Victory Road theme in Black/White. Not sure if I would classify it as the best Victory Road theme out of all the games but I still enjoy this one nonetheless. It has an epic feel to it and it's the perfect theme for a dungeon that is to be considered as the final step towards the culmination of all your efforts in the game. Though personally, I thought Victory Road was a bit easy in Black/White. :)

[YOUTUBE]ZP7vWiaxw7Y[/YOUTUBE]

Man this song brings back memories. This was for over a decade my favorite game, and this song brings back all the memories as to why.

After talking about Dragon Quest 7 in the thread about games that took us the longest to complete, it made me want to do a track from that game in this week's bump to the gaming music topic.

[YOUTUBE]f1I7D_NTHjY[/YOUTUBE]

This is the song that plays in towns that are still "sad" or in trouble somehow due to you not having completed that world's main quest yet. It's supposed to be a depressing theme, yet I always found myself feeling somewhat calmed and soothed by listening to this track. It's beautiful in the sense of how it somehow makes me feel happy BECAUSE of how sad it makes me feel. If that makes any sense. Music is strange that way, and video game tracks are no different when done right.

I recall many a day back in 2002 when I'd sit at night after having played this game for hours, I'd enter a town where this theme still played and sit in the dark of my room with my eyes closed listening to it play. It's one of the few tracks where I'd find myself doing that.... and no, my 250+ hours I poured into that game did not include any of those instances or else the game clock might have had over a thousand hours.... :p

[YOUTUBE]FUkY7ZIM5WI[/YOUTUBE]
Oh hell yeah!
Just posted yesterday. I LOVE this guy. He is so damned good on the guitar. Just try and tell me he's not awesome.

[YOUTUBE]9ydkV4M4dCw[/YOUTUBE]

This is from Final Fantasy 3's NES version. It plays on the overworld map when it is still underwater other than the floating continent where you began, until you restore the water crystal then the regular theme returns. It's a track that has hints of sadness and mystery. In my opinion it's one of the better overworld themes out there. It's just a shame that they did not go with this as the main overworld theme because it's far superior to the generic boring one used as the main theme.

I remember the first time playing the game, flying offscreen from the floating continent (which up until that point you're meant to think is the world map itself) then you see a gargantuan world map of nothing but ocean and this plays in the background. I thought to myself that this was a much better world map theme, but was frustrated at the fact that it was so hard to find the one island not underwater. Then to my disappointment, the boring regular overworld theme came back after the world map was no longer underwater. They should have kept this as the main overworld theme in my opinion, the boring generic one was used on the floating continent and they were two separate maps.

[YOUTUBE]o7pML9YzOYg[/YOUTUBE]

The Ocean Palace from Chrono Trigger. This is another track that I never get tired of listening to. I always liked how this played through the whole palace, even during battles. It's an excellent song that fit its location perfectly because the track added to the sense of urgency that you had to get down to the bottom floor as soon as possible and fight through the army of monsters standing in your way. I look forward to the Ocean Palace quest every time I play the game, and this song is part of the reason why.

Time to bump this thread again.

This week I bring you two tracks from Legend of Legaia, a forgotten gem from the PSX era. The tracks are the themes heard in the Mist Generators and Jette's Absolute Fortress.

[YOUTUBE]rwgot4tEwvg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This is the theme heard at all of the Mist Generator locations, other than Jette's Absolute Fortress. It's a great choice for the locations with a hint of urgency and not knowing what to expect. The song plays during all of the enemy encounters in these locations as well. I used to level up at each Mist Generator before completing the quests there, partially due to wanting to hear this track more.

[YOUTUBE]63orNVMwsNs[/YOUTUBE]

Here we have the remix of the Mist Generator theme, heard at Jette's Absolute Fortress. I liked that they did this. The urgency and fear of the unknown are exponentially increased at this location thanks to the track. I walked into the fortress for the first time expecting to hear the great Mist Generator theme again, only to be blown away by this and thinking to myself "Oh crap.... something BIG is going to happen here...." and sure enough, I was right.

[YOUTUBE]kl7t4c4pwxM[/YOUTUBE]

This is the music that plays in the main menu for Batman: Arkham City. It is, without a doubt, the most epic music for a main menu I have ever heard. It is probably the first piece from a video game's score that I have ever actively sought out and listened to when not playing the game itself. What's pretty cool about it is you can at least look at the concept art and character trophies from the main menu of the game and this will still be playing.

As much as I like this piece though, the best main menu theme I have ever heard is the one from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Actually, it only plays in the title screen.

Still ,shits good.

[youtube]oLOkc9MwFHs[/youtube]

This FF7 track has been stuck in my head the past couple of days. Mostly when it gets quiet at work and there aren't many customers.

[YOUTUBE]mpQ4F7B8GFg[/YOUTUBE]

It is the track from Final Fantasy 7 where you are sneaking around in the Shinra organization's tower. I like how it successfully evokes feelings of both urgency and the need for stealth, but without being a fast paced track. Most tracks used in situations where you have to sneak around quickly in games are much faster and/or heavier. This one is calm in nature, yet also reminds you of how you need to hurry up to the top floor without being seen. It fits its situation quite well because it does what it needs to, in a different way than the typical "hurry!" and stealth mission themes. Then we have that scene where Cloud, Barrett, and Tifa climb 60 flights of stairs if you chose the option to not fight your way in, and this plays the whole way, instead of starting once you fight your way to the upper floors. A memorable track for a memorable event in a memorable game. They don't make them like this anymore.

Thought I'd do a follow up to the track I discussed last week, different game but a track for a similar situation.

[YOUTUBE]E8JaUcW3jEw[/YOUTUBE]

This is the song from Arc the Lad 2 when you are in a suspicious location. It was one of my favorite tracks in the game and always enjoyed listening to it. Much like the Infiltrating Shinra Tower track I discussed in my previous post, this track does a great job of bringing out the sense of urgency in the current situation, especially the part at 28 to 35 seconds, because when you hear it you can tell you're in a place where something bad's going to happen if you screw up. It also does this without having to be fast paced or heavy in nature, which I like. This helps the fact that just about every place it's used for is during some type of stealth mission when you need to sneak past the monsters to obtain an item or defeat a boss character to clear the event. It's a short track, but when you place it on repeat it loops very well and is hardly as repetitive as most short tracks become when you listen to them for a long time.

This has been stuck in my head since I played the Demo. LOVE The Violin!

[YOUTUBE]MuPV_TGy-U8[/YOUTUBE]

I NEED this game ASAP!

This week I bring you two tracks from Arc the Lad 2. They are the two themes of the Romalian Generals.

[YOUTUBE]yJQFJl3HGfQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

This is their regular theme. It plays in "meanwhile" type scenes in between missions when the four generals are having meetings to discuss new ways to thwart your efforts. I always found it to be one of my favorite themes used for scenes where the villains come up with new evil plans. It could easily fit in any other game during any situation where a group of villains are having some type of meeting.

[YOUTUBE]J8yQ5l_Ir-0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Then here we have the remix which plays when you are facing one of the four generals in battle. It's nearly identical to the original but faster paced to fit the tone of the battle. You face each general within several quests of each other, so each time you defeat one the game makes you anticipate facing the next until only the last one remains in the end. What I like about these two in particular is how well they did with remixing the original track to make the battle track because they made it fit a completely diffeent situation.

This week I bring you the one where it all began, the battle theme of Final Fantasy 1.

[YOUTUBE]XjPF3AwVPM4[/YOUTUBE]

This is the original NES version from 1987. It played in every single battle, including battles against bosses, the elemental fiends, and the final battle. While it sounds rather beepy and outdated by today's standards, it has stood the test of time and remains an epic example of what 8 bit tracks could do. The fact that played even in boss fights didn't matter back then, due to it fitting each battle so well. Whether you were fighting a low level Imp or the elusive Warmech, it didn't matter that you always fought to this track.

[YOUTUBE]bgDBa_eLlW0[/YOUTUBE]

Here we have the modern version, as used in Final Fantasy Origins, the playstation remake of FF1 in 2003. It no longer played during boss fights (a cool new boss battle track was added) but it was a fantastic take on the original classic and fits in perfectly as a background track for any battle anywhere. While not my favorite battle track, it's ranks fairly high on the list. I always enjoy hearing remakes of FF1's battle theme and this one right here is the version I like best, although the original will live on forever.

Going oldschool again this week....

[YOUTUBE]FE-FPF4BgNI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Remember this?

This is the boss theme from Super Bomberman. It's a fun old classic. Like many of the tracks I have shared analysis on in here, it's one I could never get sick of it because even though it's rather repetitive, it's also very catchy while still capturing the level of intensity that these fights sometimes reach. My personal favorite was that huge floating clown, he always made a funny face each time you hurt him.

I have posted some Marvel vs. Capcom 3 music here before but I am ready for round 2.

[YOUTUBE]lqE-5y_q1dk[/YOUTUBE]

Haggar's theme is so bad ass, it pumps me up every time I hear it. As big of a final fight fan as I am glad to hear him so well represented.

[YOUTUBE]ARd7TBlkBms[/YOUTUBE]

Not to be outdone by his father-in-law, Cody is also given a kick ass theme. It is very gangster, like the escape convict he is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back