Video Game Music

Dagger Dias

One Winged Admin
Staff member
Administrator
This thread will deal with something I am very passionate about, video game music. I had already made a "favorite video game soundtracks" thread several months ago, but this is something a little different.

What I want you do to is pick a song (it can be more than one), list the game it came from, give a little background such as where it plays in the game or what character it belongs to if it's a specific character's theme, in case it comes from a game people might not be as familiar with. Then explain why you like the song. Posting a video is not required, but I recommend it so that the rest of us can have a listen.

I'll go first. I have picked "Star Stealing Girl" from Chrono Cross.

[YOUTUBE]6EomzbrjmPI[/YOUTUBE]

This is the theme of Kid, one of the main characters of the game. I think that it fits her character pefectly and I like it because it really touches me emotionally and makes me care more about Kid as a character. In my opinion it is one of the most beautiful songs in the history of games. It's one of those songs where if you're in a depressed mood, you can lie down, close your eyes, listen to it, and suddenly you'll feel a little better. At first I didn't think too much of it, as I don't always pay as much attention to a game's soundtrack the first couple of times I play the game.... but after hearing this song again a few years later, I realized how great it was. Over the years it became one of my favorites. Listen to it multiple times if you didn't like it that much the first time, it's a beautiful song.

I only posted one because I could litterally come up with hundreds of others to post, and I'll probably update this periodically by adding other personal favorites of mine.... but I'd like to see some picks from you guys too.

So what are some songs from video games that you like and why do you like them?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BrMVvF3A-M[/YOUTUBE]

Giygas Theme from Earthbound

This is THE Boss song. Seriously everything about the game Earthbound itself feels mildly cheerful and happy...and then you meet this mofo. Giygas himself was so powerful that it destroyed him physically and mentally- meaning he couldn't think rationally on his own. Enter Pokey, who in the game is Ness's neighbor and oversees Giygas's plans.

Giygas itself (wikipedia claims):

Giygas is partially based on a traumatic event in designer Shigesato Itoi's childhood, where Itoi witnessed an intense murder scene at a movie theater which he, along with many others, misinterpreted as a rape scene. Many gamers consider Giygas as the most disturbing boss battle ever, mostly due to his shape (a warped, undulating red swirl resembling a screaming face, and later, a tiled image rumored to represent a fetus sonogram but Itoh has confirmed that portrayal of the final form of Giygas, as a fetus, a "coincidence"), the hopelessness of the battle and the dialog that transpires between Ness and Giygas.

And this plays when you battle him. It does sound disturbing to me, would like to hear your thoughts.

I picked a very tranquil song last time in 'Star Stealing Girl", so let's shift to a more angry song this time around.

"Awakening" from Xenogears.

[YOUTUBE]8JBn6-ID7-E[/YOUTUBE]

A great epic battle theme. This song is heard during the fight against Deus, the next-to-last boss, although some consider this the final boss, since the final battle between Fei and Krelian is pretty much a scripted victory. It is such an adrenaline inducing theme. It's angry, evil, suspicious, you name it.... What makes it even better is that it's a bit of a remix of the theme you hear during many suspicious moments in the game.

People talk about how great tracks like "One Winged Angel" are (I like it too, don't get me wrong) but then there are epic battle tracks such as "Awakening" from Xenogears that do not get the credit they deserve. It's one of the most fitting battle themes out there for a battle against a huge evil creature about to destroy the world. I like it a lot because I find that it seriously fits well for any "intense battle" moment of any video game.

It's the Halo Themes for me. O'Donnell and Salvatore did such a fantastic job in scoring the Halo trilogy, as well as the Halo 3 spinoff, Halo: ODST.

This is the most recognizable piece of Halo. Especially the Gregorian chants. They basically set off the whole motif that rings through the whole of the series.

Here is the version that Steve Vai appears in. He collaborated with the composers on this album, as well as Incubus, I think. It's basically the same Halo theme, but with a guitar being more prominent rather than violins as in the original theme.

In this game, the composers decided to move away from the traditional theme and motif they had in the Halo trilogy, and started to focus on some Jazz-influences to make this score. You can also tell there's also a bit of the main theme *listen to the Gregorian chants* in this song.

Yeah, you can tell I love the soundtracks from Halo :D

There's two game series I'll refer to for this one.

Starting with Zelda, there's two themes that strongly stick out for me, granted I played Twilight Princess first followed by Ocarina of Time, but listening to these two particular themes just really have a warm feeling inside.

Temple of Time Theme
[YOUTUBE]/v/stoI6P6Xf4o&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

If you spoke to me about this a year ago, this would have been nothing to me. Now, having become a follower of Zelda, this song just feels a sense of grandeur, destiny and honour. This song is essentially the song of the series (since OoT) and I don't think any Zelda fan wouldn't feel any different with this song in particular. Walking into the Temple of Time to hear this just makes you feel honoured to be in the game at times, again this is the song that is best linked to Zelda and hopefully we'll see it return for the newest game.

Saria's Song/Lost Woods/Sacred Grove
[YOUTUBE]/v/-Dt3QWsJ0Bs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

This is just such a joyous song to hear, if anything, if you called the Temple of Time Theme as the theme of Adult Link, this is the theme of Link as a child. Any time you enter those realms and hear this song, you just think of two things, firstly, how young you were and how older/mature you have become but also Saria. This song basically cannot make you forget that character who spent a decent amount of time to encourage Link on his way to adventure, and you yet you can't help but feel sad to know how much she taught Link and would eventually go on to become a Sage, never to exist in the real world again. It's noble sacrifice that just makes you want to cry.

Now onto quite possibly my favourite game theme ever, Metal Gear Solid

[YOUTUBE]/v/yd3zMu707XU&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]/v/ECjDfQd8QVc&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]/v/rNVCD1dsnJI&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]/v/dVfBJG5_7DY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/YOUTUBE]

This is a theme that evolves to fit the atmosphere of the game and it's why I personally love it. You get the feel of action and adrenaline from it. Personally, I prefer the versions outside of the first game, but it deserves recognition for being the original theme. But when Harry Gregson-Williams took over for doing the music, damn he really created an emotional connection to Solid Snake and the game as a whole. Sons of Liberty brought it up another gear with a really spruced up and modernised version, my favourite is the Snake Eater's which really gives a sense of heroism about Snake himself and really brings out the best of the jungle elements from within. Gun of the Patriots I haven't played but got a fair idea about what happens and the theme again fits around it. To me, this is a theme that doesn't grow tiring and evolves to have it's own personality with each game, so while you know it's MGS, you can't confuse each theme with another one from the series. Listening to it again now gets me hyped!

Damn, Phoenix stole my original idea for Zelda music. Because Koji Kondo, quite simply, is a god damn genius and is the perfect musical addition to Miyamoto's games and Ocarina of Time was the very height of his brilliance. All the different pieces of music that just come together to create such an varied range of emotions throughout the game is incredible.

[youtube]_qPtuOfQbyI[/youtube]

[youtube]znio6fc7Wfo[/youtube]

[youtube]h_bwHlDD9Nc[/youtube]

Another series that has really blown me away with the effort and thought put into the music is the Mass Effect series. Bioware have always made sure to put some great music in their games with lead composer Jack Wall at the helm. The games usually use a mixture of some electronica with the usual grandeur of classical music that quite a few other games have. Take this piece from the final mission of Mass Effect 2, a beautifully put together and building piece that really sets the tone so well in the suicide mission.

[youtube]VTsD2FjmLsw[/youtube]

I have to go old school SNES...from Final Fantasy III (Final Fantasy VI in Japan).

The Aria de Mezzo Carattere (The Opera scene). If you have ever played this game, you know exactly what I am talking about, and I need explain no further...but, for those that have never played, it might be the most beautiful piece of music composed for a video game ever. (NOTE: This is a synthesized version, it is not the exact music as it appears in game)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTZ20Ngy5qg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FTZ20Ngy5qg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Time for an oldschool classic.

[YOUTUBE]HYNUVsIeDW4[/YOUTUBE]

You'd have a very difficult time finding somebody from our generation who's not familiar with THAT track! Oh the memories of Super Mario Bros 3.... This song is arguably one of the best of the NES era because it's among the few that has stood the test of time.

It makes me recall classic stages such as the one when you run through the grassy fields as Goombas jump out of Pipes, or that level in World 2 where the Sun chases you, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. I also enjoyed the remixed version of it used in Super Mario Galaxy.

Here's one I'm sure many of you remember....

[YOUTUBE]vUO33-nrRhE&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Goldeneye is to this day still my favorite shooter game. The fun missions, going crazy and shooting everything everywhere, and the epic multiplayer mode. The Water Caverns was one of the funner levels and it has really great background music. I like it because it fits in with the stealthiness needed for so many of the missions in this game, it fits this probably better than any other song from the game.... all while being very catchy! A lot of memories come back when I listen to this, such as unlocking all the cheats and 007 mode.

I'm sure there is going to be no shortage of Zelda songs in this thread and for good reasons. Very few games have ever invoked the emotion and depth that the songs from this franchise have. From the first game all the way to the newest hand held, every soundtrack is very solid. For me the best game in the series and my favorite game of all time is Link to the Past. There isn't another game that comes close for me in terms of music and nostalgia. Here is a couple of my favorites:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WArWo_FwGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0WArWo_FwGY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This song in particular is very memorable for me. It signifies that there is something awesome lurking around these parts. The name Lost Woods relies not just on visuals but sounds. You definitely feel lost but the song keeps playing and reminding you there's a reason why you're there. It's calm enough to allow you to keep your pace and enjoy the scenery but also reminds you that there are things that need to be done.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H-kqzc4gcnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H-kqzc4gcnw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

This one is from once you've entered the dark world. It has the same classic feel but a new sense of urgency and darkness to it. You know that a majority of the adventure is yet to come and that things will only get more difficult and grand along the way. All of the music from Link to the Past is truly an achievement in gaming music. There were very few if any games that matched it's epicness and musical genius at the time. Most haven't been able to match it sense.

[YOUTUBE]n2VDHLWFrFo[/YOUTUBE]

As you can see on the logo, Dragon Age: Origins, this is one of the primary soundtrack songs, mostly played through the loading screens (which do appear for the most of the time) and is by far one of my favorite video game soundtracks (that I can recall)

It's the main theme of the game, performed by an composer (who I never heard of personally) called Inon Zur, who has provided the soundtrack for a vast amount of video games.

First, The Darkness of Eternity - Final Fantasy IX:
[youtube]YuIbiWeSUCQ[/youtube]
This has to be my favorite battle theme in all of the Final Fantasy games. It really fits Kuja, and I know this is a video from Dissidia but I wanted to show how epic the song is when playing this game. The beginning of the song with the organ gives the feeling that an epic battle is about to begin.

SecondThe Meaning of Birth - Tales of Abyss:
[youtube]qmdMX0qeC0Q[/youtube]
The Tales series is a personally favorite of mines, and this is my favorite out of all. I know it's a kind of weird choice as far as battle music goes, but I love it. It has a true ending kind of feel to it when Asch and Luke finally decide who is the best.

Finally, the third Awkward Justice - Tales of the Abyss:
[youtube]r0SrkCinI0w[/youtube]
Like I said, I love the Tales series. This is one of my favorite boss battle songs. The beginning just screams epic battle.

Meh we need another Zelda song, whilst there have been many in this thread it is for good reason. The music in these games brings such an emotion and it is why it's one of the biggest selling franchises of all time.

This is from "Twilight Princess" and is called "Ancient Hero" for me it's an incredible piece of music, the way it builds up to the main Zelda theme, for me this is the one piece that sums up the entire Zelda series for me

Somebody's missing. No. No good.

[YOUTUBE]HFKtYCcMWT4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]h5NmMyg8_g0&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
One of the most popular of Megaman themes. Megaman 2 Willy Stage 1 & 2. The beat of this fast paced song always has me pumped and the way the stages are played, seeing how you have to jump a lot, is actually quite fitting to it. Plus its a kickass beat.

[YOUTUBE]2Jmty_NiaXc[/YOUTUBE]
Whenever a Pokemon trainer just forced you into fighting on the original games, this played. Thankfully its catchy, because you have to put up with it a lot. Probably why I picked it. I heard it so much it couldn't go unposted.

[YOUTUBE]ajqJiyStnnw[/YOUTUBE]
Because you can't have a Metroid game without the bastard coming back from the dead. This theme is common in the Metroid franchise, but certain to appear when facing arch-enemy Ridley. This theme sets the tone for the epic and rapid firing of Missiles that's about to go down.

I don't know how many of you played Hitman Blood money, but for those of you that did, you probably remember the most of them, I included one song that, well it was the first that popped up and it's "featured" lists has all of the soundtrack songs in there, and I took the liberty of including the one song that I remember the most from the game, the song Ave Maria.

[YOUTUBE]G2w4SNOW-6w[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]0JYG7E8SvNY[/YOUTUBE]

Great game, great soundtrack, overall, greatness, and the music is so well placed in every single mission, that it's inevitable to leave this one out, and I'm ashamed I forgot about it.

As you can see in the first video, Jesper Kyd (Danish composer) composed the music for this game, alongside all of the other games in the Hitman series, he has also contributed the composing of the soundtrack to Assassin's creed 1/2 and Unreal Tournament 3.

It's been about a week since I last shared a song I like with all of you, so time to bump this thread again.

Today's entry is from Lufia 2. The track is "The Prophet" and it is the theme of the character Iris. By far one of the best tracks in the game, and one of my all time favorites. It's so incredibly beautiful, even for a SNES track from 15 years ago. It shows several emotions such as happiness, sadness, confusion, with a touch of suspicion. The very same emotions that surround the appearances of Iris, before you find out through an epic spoiler who she truly is.

[YOUTUBE]b8GjMCOoWK8[/YOUTUBE]

Asking myself "Could this track possibly get any more beautiful?" I ended up discovering the DS remake's version of it, and once again I was blown away. Very few video game themes can bring a tear to my eye from how good they sound, and this is one of the rare ones where both versions come close to doing just that.

[YOUTUBE]Do8awtO5WZw[/YOUTUBE]

I love both versions of this song because it's so soothing, a wave of calm tranquil feelings hits me when listening to it. I can't wait for the DS remake, it's going to be great and a lot of the tracks (such as this one) were remade in a way that did justice to the originals and it should be a lot of fun to play when it comes out, too bad that's several months away.

Time to update my favorite thread again. This time I will be sharing a song from the Final Fantasy 9 soundtrack. FF9's soundtrack is so underrated, and I am currently replaying it in real life. I had to borrow a friend's copy since my 2nd disc got scratched back in 2001 and most of my friends do not own FF9. So it's almost like I'm recapturing a lost part of my past by replaying this great game.

[YOUTUBE]RXRdGtF2Uqk[/YOUTUBE]

I love most of its music and this track is one of my personal favorites because of all the feelings it brings out. Much like "Star Stealing Girl" from Chrono Cross (see original post) it is one of those songs that I could be having the worst day of my life but listening to this song will still bring a smile to my face. Songs like "Unforgettable Sorrow" from Final Fantasy 9 are the reason why video game music as a whole is criminally underrated because they are so good yet some people will dismiss them with rolling eyes or sarcasm just because "it's from a video game".... I will always have a special place in my heart for beautiful instrumentals from video games, like this one. Sorry, I know that sounds a little cheesy but this is just something I am very passionate about.

I'm going oldschool again with this entry. Donkey Kong Country 2. A great song from the series, the theme of the Bramble levels.

[YOUTUBE]73n7HTcmb5g[/YOUTUBE]

This is a great song, it has a very calm yet at the same time creepy feeling to it. It's almost as if the developers wanted the song the help you relax due to the bramble levels being notoriously stressful and difficult to clear. I hated both Bramble Blast and Bramble Scramble when I was little, the latter in particular because of the part where you had to fly past all the Zingers with Squawks the parrot. Memories of frustration when I kept dying and how happy I was when finally clearing the level(s) return to me when I listen to the bramble level theme. Easily one of the better songs from the Donkey Kong Country trilogy because it reminds me of levels that I hated as a kid and "love to hate" as an adult.... and the song itself is fantastic even without all the memories I associate with it.

The old school PS1 soundtrack's always stand out alot to me. For example..
"The Use of Meia" track from "Alundra" was a great track because it had a variety of instruments and gave a pure and ambient feel to the track.

Another great track was the Dulles Airport theme from Die Hard Trilogy on PS1.
That track is one of my all time favourite because the soothing instruments in it also give an expanse atmosphere to the song itself but it also gives it alot of drama.

And last but not least: if I had to pick a new generation game such as one on Xbox 360 or PS3, then I'd pick GTA IV.
That soundtrack is just so built up and it's one huge bonanza of excellence.
The Main Title Theme: Soviet Connection by Michael Hunter.

Great tracks right here. (Sorry, i don't know how to post the little Youtube box thingy's.. :/ )

Posted this medley once before I think but
what the hey. This is a combo and re-arranging
of a few Zelda tunesas performed by
Play! -A Video Game Symphony-
at their concerts.

LISTEN TO THE FOLLOWING LOUD or with
HEADPHONES to get the full in-person effect.
It includes
Ocarina of Time Intro (Ocarina of Time), Legend of Zelda Theme (The Legend of Zelda), Dungeon Theme (The Legend of Zelda), Zelda II: The Adventure of Link Intro (Zelda II: The Adventure of Link), returns to The Legend of Zelda Theme (The Legend of Zelda),
Dark World Theme (A Link to the Past), and finally Ballad of the Wind Fish (Link's Awakening).

I love it becuase finally with a full Symphony you can get a real understanding as to how powerful and breathtaking these pieces of music are. Don't get me wrong they are all fantastic in-game but with the thematic shifts and full live orchestra backing they take on a whole new level. I'll be honest, while listening to the movements I was brought close to tears as I reflected on all the years and good memories I've associated with playing the Zelda series. The powerful thing about games are that since we the player are experiencing the game via the character avatars in a limited sense we are going through the experiences ourselves. Like-wise when you reflect on it years later you feel as though you are reflecting on your life; and in one way, that's exactly what your are doing.

I know everyone wants to be all deep and serious and post a bunch of pretentious Final Fantasy / Zelda bullshit, but dude, I gets busy with some REAL video game music. You all should be fucking ASHAMED for the lack of tunes from the Following game not included in this thread

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHfxXHDWrMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHfxXHDWrMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Be serious. As if you aren't prepared to whip some damn ass with our buff toad buddies NOW. Great music to get you pumped and ready to rock, and you will need it, since B-Toads is motherfucking impossible.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CoR8OlXXiZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CoR8OlXXiZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

this game took forever to get through, becuase every time you paused, a fucking party / dance off broke out.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OoYltfuKiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OoYltfuKiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Straight haggard as fuck. I am pumped and ready to kill terrorists RIGHT NOW. Another game you will definately need it for, this game is just outrageously difficult. Serious damn buisness theme music though.

I know everyone wants to be all deep and serious and post a bunch of pretentious Final Fantasy / Zelda bullshit, but dude, I gets busy with some REAL video game music. You all should be fucking ASHAMED for the lack of tunes from the Following game not included in this thread
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHfxXHDWrMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pHfxXHDWrMU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Be serious. As if you aren't prepared to whip some damn ass with our buff toad buddies NOW. Great music to get you pumped and ready to rock, and you will need it, since B-Toads is motherfucking impossible.
[youtube]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CoR8OlXXiZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CoR8OlXXiZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
this game took forever to get through, becuase every time you paused, a fucking party / dance off broke out.
[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OoYltfuKiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5OoYltfuKiU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Straight haggard as fuck. I am pumped and ready to kill terrorists RIGHT NOW. Another game you will definately need it for, this game is just outrageously difficult. Serious damn buisness theme music though.

I fucking LOVED BattleToads. I was never able to beat that game. The music was the most epic thing of all time. That shit was the hardest game of all time. There was another game by the same company that had awesome music.

[youtube]iUoIZwHJlzI[/youtube]

That's right. Double f'n Dragon. That game, like Battletoads, was EPIC, and so was the music. Only 1 thing could be better then Battletoads or Double Dragon, and in 1993, God jizzed awesome into our Super NES and Genesis, and out came the greatest combination since Peanut Butter and Jelly.

[youtube]13ML-UoHwCk[/youtube]

That's right. BattleToads & Double Dragon. The intro music alone is awesome, and then you combine 2 awesome games into 1 mega-awesome game. If only they would reboot the BattleToads or Double Dragon franchises on one of the current systems.

NorCal's right. Not every submission to this thread has to be a FF or Zelda track with a deep analysis. Time for a couple of tracks that are just fun to listen to from a very classic series.... Sonic The Hedgehog!

[YOUTUBE]GFHvxuuOymo[/YOUTUBE]

I'm sure everyone from our generation has heard this song at least once in their life! So fun to listen to, and it will always be THE sonic song.

[YOUTUBE]yzXwutv0yy8[/YOUTUBE]

Here we have the best boss theme from the Sonic games. An adrenaline inducing track indeed. Always having to get through the next zone to hear this badass theme one more time.

[YOUTUBE]B93QQvL0CGQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

We also can't forget the boss music from Sonic 3 (and Sonic & Knuckles) which was just as epic as the game itself.

These are my favorite tracks from the first three sonic games. I picked them because they are (in my opinion) the best tracks out of any Sonic game theme, but also because they are just loads of fun to listen to. Nostalgia for the win!

Here is a medley of several of the Dungeon songs from the Phantasy Star games. For anyone that goes back to the Sega Master System, the original Phantasy Star was an absolutely phenomenal game. Way ahead of its time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gRGh0FMbJY&feature=related

If anyone hasn't played these games and loves RPG's, do yourself a favor and get your hands on a copy of these games. Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has Phantasy Star 1-4 on it for those with a 360 (I believe its out on PS3 as well), those 4 games are also available on the Virtual Console for Wii, and 1-3 are available on Game Boy advance.

If you ask me, you can't talk about good video game music without talking about Power Quest. Power Quest was an obscure little fighting game for the Game Boy Color, that really wasn't very special. It was fun, good to play for short bursts (though the password system really hurt it), but it was nothing spectacular.

Except, that is, for the music. The music was incredible! It was just...well, take a listen yourself.

Title Screen - "Military Arts"

Playground - "Blue Storm"

Streets - 1995

Seriously, that music is awesome. I want people to make arranged versions of it so bad, but no one's ever played the game. It was GREAT for pumping you up throughout any fight. The other tracks are just as good as those three. A true hidden gem in the world of video game music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back