• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Unpopular Wrestling Opinions

The only reason WWE doesn't care about Tag-Teams, Divas and Cruiserweights is because TNA has been so good at them

If you have a division, if you give them air time, whats the point of burying it? If you don't think they draw, if you don't think people will care about it, why not use that time to build up a storyline, give new guys a timeslot to prove themselves. Why get Khali & Henry bury your only legit "tag-team" and let those two giants do a dance show after that? Why use crusierweights mainly on squash matches? Why do i only think of Lay-Cool when it comes to divas division?

I know why, becasue TNA has been good at those divisions (Although TNA is going backwards on those divisions nowadays). If WWE were to try something and failed to impress then people would start commenting how WWE fails and TNA delivers. WWE doesn't want to look like they are competing with TNA, so they decide not to care about those divisions at all.

If you hate SuperCena then you HAVE to hate Randy Orton right now

Randy Orton's (televised) win/loss ratio in the last few months has been completely ridiculous (I'm not sure about house shows so I put televised). He lost at what, Elimination Chamber and has had himself a couple beat downs by Nexus and that's about all I can think of. He wins ALLLL the time, he's boring as all hell on the mic, his psychotic selling of things is plain old weird sometimes, the man is Cena with a better tan, two arm sleeve tattoos, and pecs chiseled out of stone. Everyone jumps on the "Let's hate Cena wagon" but if you hate Cena you have to hate Orton as well, they're the same damn thing.

The Attitude Era was indeed overrated to some extent

Like someone has already said, you really don't need 30 blading spots, a birth to a hand, Hot Lesbian Action and 2 broken announcer tables in every goddamn show. The good thing about the AE was that (some of) the storylines were edgey and interesting and the wrestling was seemed to have more of an in your face attitude that kept everyone entertained. The bad thing was that they had to keep having more and more ridiculous gimmicks and things to keep people entertained and to try and out do themselves.
If you REALLY want to please both parties, make the TV programs PG (but the borderline sort that allows you to say Yabba-Dabba-Bitch and such) and then have the PPV as PG-13/14-A so you can have SOME blood in CERTAIN matches and have a little bit of breathing room for creativity.

Take the good points of both eras and mesh them together and see what happens.
As much as the IWC would love to see a full fledged AE again we all know that half of them would start shitting on THAT as well.
You can't please all the people all the time so just touch on a bit of everything to try and send 'em all home happy.

awesome thread and i got two that come to mind right away

ECW Was Overrated!

Now, there was great wrestlers and great matches in ECW yes, but most of it was down right terrible. 99% of what New Jack did was not wrestling, over the top weapons spots over and over again is not wrestling. Seeing guys like Sandman and Sabu as your world champion is not the way to take a company seriously. Were there things about ECW I enjoyed yes, no shame in admitting that but there was a reason it was the 3rd company, It was no where near as good as WCW and the WWF was at the time.

Dean Malenko was the most talented of the Radicalz

I know there will be people who hate on this instantly so ill explain my stance as through as I can. As far as move sets go, I always thought Malenko could do a little bit more then Eddie and Benoit. Malenko did not get as far as Benoit or Eddie strictly b.c he had as much charisma as a sock which led to his downfall. But if I was to asked to watch matches of one man for the rest of my life Dean Malenko would prolly be my choice.

Owen Hart and Mr Perfect were mid-carders for life and get the level of praise they do because their dead

I stand by this. Owen was a good wrestler with little charisma. He could get good mid-card heat but, then again, so could Jeff Jarrett....Still wouldn't let either of them near the main event because they can't cut it (as the WWF and WCW ratings and buys showed when they were on top)

Perfect, until he did his back in during 91 was a great worker but, again, he was good at getting that mid to upper mid-card level heat. They tried him on the top too, during the height of the Hogan Warrior clamour and he didn't cut it as a main eventer.

I don't care if anyone hates it, I'm bored of the love that those two get (especially Perfect because he brought about his own death, the divvy bastard).

The only reason WWE doesn't care about Tag-Teams, Divas and Cruiserweights is because TNA has been so good at them

If you have a division, if you give them air time, whats the point of burying it? If you don't think they draw, if you don't think people will care about it, why not use that time to build up a storyline, give new guys a timeslot to prove themselves. Why get Khali & Henry bury your only legit "tag-team" and let those two giants do a dance show after that? Why use crusierweights mainly on squash matches? Why do i only think of Lay-Cool when it comes to divas division?

I know why, becasue TNA has been good at those divisions (Although TNA is going backwards on those divisions nowadays). If WWE were to try something and failed to impress then people would start commenting how WWE fails and TNA delivers. WWE doesn't want to look like they are competing with TNA, so they decide not to care about those divisions at all.

Yeah... how about, WWE doesn't focus on Tag Teams, Divas, or Cruiserweights because the have absolutely no incentive to do so? Face it, none of these divisions do shit for ratings and since we're using TNA as a basis for comparison, well that would be your proof. TNA has put a lot of focus into these divisions and it hasn't accomplished a god damn thing for the company. Why would the WWE take valuable time from their programs and Superstars who actually elicit a reaction from the crowd and draw buys and ratings and give it to a division without a proven track record? I would be one those who would be more than welcoming to a Cruiserweight expansion and tag teams can be fun too, no Divas though. Women's wrestling absolutely fucking sucks. But I know it's not going to happen and I don't have to come up with completely illogical reasons for it.

By the way, this is completely ignoring the fact that you're dead wrong in your assessment of TNA. They suck hard at all of these divisions now and have for over a year.

As for my unpopular opinion:

John Cena is the best Professional Wrestler in the world today.

One thing I've heard that speaks volumes about this guy; whether you love him or you hate him, everyone has an opinion on the guy. He is without question the most recognizable wrestler in the world. The knocks on him are always the same. They hate the way he is booked which honestly, holds little merit today. Miz got the best of him for 4 straight weeks recently. I'll admit, I got a little tired of him being booked the way he was, but I've grown quite fond of the way he handles his promos and mic work in general as well as him being shown to be human lately.

Another knock is his ring work which to me, is absolute bullshit. He doesn't carry the workload like a lot of the under card guys do, but in big match settings, the dude brings it every single time. He doesn't get carried like his haters always try to suggest. He holds his own every time. The 2 biggest matches he's been in which are the Batista encounters have been done absolutely perfect. You gonna tell me that Batista carried him?

So yeah, there's my thoughts on this.

Yeah... how about, WWE doesn't focus on Tag Teams, Divas, or Cruiserweights because the have absolutely no incentive to do so? Face it, none of these divisions do shit for ratings and since we're using TNA as a basis for comparison, well that would be your proof. TNA has put a lot of focus into these divisions and it hasn't accomplished a god damn thing for the company. Why would the WWE take valuable time from their programs and Superstars who actually elicit a reaction from the crowd and draw buys and ratings and give it to a division without a proven track record? I would be one those who would be more than welcoming to a Cruiserweight expansion and tag teams can be fun too, no Divas though. Women's wrestling absolutely fucking sucks. But I know it's not going to happen and I don't have to come up with completely illogical reasons for it.

By the way, this is completely ignoring the fact that you're dead wrong in your assessment of TNA. They suck hard at all of these divisions now and have for over a year.

There is a reason for the title of the thread being "unpopular wrestling opinions" if you think mine is a bad idea, well, yours is not better.

What I'm saying is, if you read that is, if you think it won't draw, whats the point of keeping the division? And burying it at the same time? And if TNA hasn't succeed surely its not because of their tagteams cruiserweights or knockouts

WRESTING ABILITY IS OVERRATED.
A lot of the people on these forums feel that the current wrestling product is horrible because most of the top guys are not great technical wrestlers. Being a great wrestler can only get you so far in the wrestling world. Its more about entertainment then wrestling skills. Not just now but all the way back to the golden era and beyond.
Hardly has the top guy ever been a great mat technician, sure ther are a few like Bret Hart but the majority have been average to below average wrestlers. They know how to entertain the fans. They make you love or hate them with there personality not there ability in the ring. There is so much hate on here for guys like Hogan,Cena,and the Miz cause they only do a handful of moves and praise for the Danielsons,Kavals,and Brets who can really wrestle. But that doesn't entertain the average fan. Yes it works for true loyal fans.They need to be able to entertain you with more than armbars and leglocks.Very rarely do you see somebody that has both Jericho is one. Sometimes the technical guys can last but not often the need something else. Even a piece of crap like Beniot could entertain it wasn't the rahrah Hogan,Cena stuff it was more of the ruthless badass thing.
A lot of people on here love the Attitude era and say how its so much better then know a days. There was way less wrestling back then then there is now. Guys like StoneCold,Rock,the Hardy Boys and Dudleys,even the almighty Undertaker couldn't wrestle all they did was brawl with a move thrown in here or there or in the Hardys case jump off of something but they sure were entertaining and that's why it was so popular. So people need to stop saying that the current product stinks cause none of the top guys can wrestle. Its sports entertainment.

Owen Hart and Mr Perfect were mid-carders for life and get the level of praise they do because their dead

I stand by this. Owen was a good wrestler with little charisma. He could get good mid-card heat but, then again, so could Jeff Jarrett....Still wouldn't let either of them near the main event because they can't cut it (as the WWF and WCW ratings and buys showed when they were on top)

I agree with you on Owen, he was a solid mid carder but just wasn't main event material in my opinion. His main event run only worked cos it was against Bret. Programs with any of the other world champs wouldn't have drawn as much interest. This showed when they brought him back after Bret and Davey left and the initial crowd pop when he grabbed McMahon soon lost momentum. His mic work was shocking "it felt good bret when I kicked your leg out from under your leg" :lol:

On Topic
Maryse is NOT sexy
I don't see the fuss over her, she's actually kinda funny looking and her voice annoys the shit out of me

Well, since this is the place for it, and you guys have asked for it, here are mine:

Rick Flair is ridiculously overrated

He's had a very long career. He's the second 'Nature Boy' not the first. Came up at a time where some great wrestlers were around. He can work, but he isn't what I'd consider greatest performer. He can cut a promo, can work but I think it's absurd to call him the greatest. I don't care how many wrestlers say he's the best or they idolized him, or how many title reigns he had, he was a good wrestler who clung to his spot due to a revolutionary idea the four horsemen, and his politicking. He killed WCW with his nonsense trying to hold onto his spot, when he should've stepped aside for Sting or Luger.

HHH, HBK are good, not great draws

They've paid their dues and can perform in the ring and are ok on the mike but to be the best or great is another matter. You want to be considered a main event elite, you gotta draw and they are nowhere near the top draws in history. If Vince could get the money he made with Rock and Austin vs. HBK and HHH, he take Rock and Austin in a heartbeat. HBK left after dropping the belt to Austin and the company never looked back while making more money without him. Triple H worked with the big guys but was never among them. You take away his closeness to the McMahons (sucking up to HBK and Vince then his marriage to Stephanie, then his being named Vince's creative advisor), he isn't anywhere near the main event. All the DX reunions made me cringe. The only time it was decent was when it was Triple H, NAO, Chyna and Xpac.

The Benoit family should be in the Hall of Fame

It won't happen, but it should. I know what Chris Benoit did was monstrous, but he wasn't in his right mind (as determined by scientists who studied his brain after the tragedy) and he did have a great career and was loved by his fans. We shouldn't forget what he did, but we should come to terms that he did a bad thing when he was mentally ill and do something in the memory of his wife and children. I think it would be a way to come to terms with the incident and put it behind us.

Orton, Batista, Sheamus, DelRio aren't great main eventers

Orton is good in the ring but not great and I couldn't careless about him on the mike. Batista had a look but couldn't work in the ring or talk and it was usually the opposition who carried him in terms of making the rivalry watchable, Sheamus had no business being a two time heavyweight champ, king of the ring and now US champ. DelRio is ok but he isn't what I call a great performer either.

Bret's lack of success as heavyweight champ is WWE's fault not his

I've never seen such a ridiculously pathetic job at promoting a heavyweight champ ever. They had lame character ideas, had him win it first at a house show, didn't make Hogan drop the belt to him as he should have done. The fact is he isn't the greatest draw, he was some one who wouldn't do the risque stuff that WWE wanted but he could've been a much bigger help if he were better utilized than he was by both WWE and WCW.

It's not the somersaults you can do, it's the way you tell a story in the ring

Today people are about spots, doing great moves not weaving the best moves to tell the best story in the ring. It's more of a 'hey look at me I can do this'.

WWE management should be beaten within an inch of their lives for the performers they released

Kurt Angle, Bobby Lashley, Mr. Kennedy, MVP, Elijah Burke, Shelton Benjamin, Charlie Haas, Kaval, Mickie James, among others were let go from WWE. Why on Earth would any one let these guys to have the crap they have now in the tag division, midcard and main event in the WWE now ? There is no way in hell that WWE wouldn't be better off right now if these guys had been kept in house.

Hogan and Bischoff weren't needed by TNA. Heyman would've been better for them.

TNA wasn't in need of three personalities that were so self absorbed that they needed to be seen on tv. They needed a person who was comfortable behind the scenes and concerned about character and storyline development. I don't agree with getting rid of any one over forty, but his other ideas would be helpful to the company.

Politics may be a part of every workplace, but it isn't good business for a wrestling promotion.

When you have people getting thrown out of your company due to incidents with other performers, you have a problem. When you have subpar performers becoming champion because of friends in high places, it gets pretty stupid. When you have higher up performers killing feuds because they don't want to be upstaged or refusing to drop belts to other performers when it is great for business, we have a problem.

Bret Hart shouldn't have come back

It was complete bullshit. He returns to hear some nonsense from HBK about his unprofessionalism. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black ? HBK wasn't political ? Stop lying HBK, you were the most political unprofessional drug popping performer the WWE ever had. Then he has this completely bad match with Vince, Miz, it was just too painful to watch. BTW, Bret didn't screw Bret, Vince the lying chickenshit screwed Bret then it was Hogan and Bischoff when he went to WCW.

Awesome thread! I have quite a few I can add to it that are controversial and unpopular.

Jim Ross is a garbage announcer as well as the most overrated anouncer in history.

Simply put the guy isn't good. During his career he regularly called moves by the wrong names, performers by the wrong names and couldn't sell a match or wrestler for shit. His broadcasting never really told a story as it should. You're sitting there watching a match and waiting to hear how it's important and.... Oh here's Jim Ross droning on and on and on about either 1: Oklahoma Sooners football, 2: BBQ sauce, 3: A different match later on or 4: He's rubbing one off over Steve Austin. That isn't talent and doesn't make you great nor is it selling your product very well. People want to hear about whats going on right then and there and want reasons WHY they should care about what's going on at that moment.

At the same time yelling hillbilly catch phrases or screaming the persons name over and over isn't helping to get them or the product over. Again, fans want reasons they should give a shit about the two guys in the ring and the match. They want to know why this guy is a bad ass and why this guy should be worried about it.

I would also offer up his inability to sell heel and face turns. Gordon Solie was a master at it, as was Gorilla Monsoon and ESPECIALLY Jesse Ventura. As a face announcer your job isn't to bury the faces nor heels. Your job is to pump up the heel in the match as a ruthless, ravaging monster that's going to cheat to win. Your face could be in big trouble facing this heel. At the same time your job is to also pump up the face. While he's in BIG BIG trouble in this match he can win because of this, this and this and because he stands for this and this. The heels job is to absolutely HATE the babyfaces for being not only good guys but because their fellow heels keep getting beat eventually. The heel announcer is to get himself over as one of the most hated heels in the company and thus anyone he hates must be okay, because he is a jerk.

Jim Ross? The guy made a career out of burying the heels on the mic while building up the faces as these unstoppable forces. No no no, the HEEL is the one always in trouble. The HEEL is a piece of trash who stands no chance.... Until he turns face and Ross would be hugging on his nuts seconds after the face turn.

Again, that's poor announcing. You're taking all meaning out of the turns because of your limited ability. THE best at it? They sat back. They took a well let's wait and see approach. This guy was a monster who did alot of bad things and lets see if he's for real while your heel announcer feigns shock and anger, that turns into a hatred as they BUILD the face turn and SELL it.

Jim Ross was horrible at his job. He was fired from WCW for a reason, because he isn't good. He kept his WWF gig for years because by virtually EVERY account of anyone who has worked with him he is the biggest asskissing backstabber backstage.

More forthcoming....

Alright a few more...

ECW wasn't THAT great and Paul Heyman wasn't AS creative as made out to be.

This one is bound to anger some people but so be it. Living in Ohio we got Eastern Championship Wrestling as well as Extreme Championship Wrestling late nights on a local channel. I came in shortly after it became Extreme and continued watching until they closed down. It was a good product no doubt, but it wasn't as great as it has been romanticized as, nor was it as creative as is made out to be. Actually their early TV tapings were horrible. You usually had ONE match for the entire show broken up with commercials and a promo or two mixed in.

Starting with the talent, there honestly wasn't THAT much of it going around. You had Raven, Shane Douglas and Taz. That was it for years when it came to ECW talent that could cut a promo AND have good matches. The rest was largely your various career Indy fed types. The only thing that differentiated ECW from any of the other Indy feds was Heyman was able to get Terry Funk, 2 Cold Scorpio, Brian Pillman, Steve Austin, Cactus Jack and some others to go to Philly and work short programs before heading back to WCW or the WWF.

I know what you're going to say, "what about Jericho, the New Japan guys and the Luchadores? Heyman introduced them to America!" Well we'll get to that. First things first, they weren't there that long. Second, he didn't introduce them to America as he claims, Eric Bischoff did. Chris Benit wrestled in WCW two years before Heyman even went to ECW. He partnered with AAA out of Mexico to put on a PPV called "When Worlds Collide" a year prior to ECW becoming extreme. Featuring who? Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Psicosis, La Parka, Chris Benoit and Konnan. Muta and other NJPW guys had crossed over to WCW for years, even predating Bischoff.

Which brings me to Paul Heyman and creative. One of his big claims to creative fame was bringing those guys to America. Cross it off, he didn't. He signed them to work a few programs in a bingo hall after the WCW/AAA PPV. His second creative claim to fame, the "hardcore concept." He didn't come up with it. Alot of the stuff he did was rehashed late 70's angles from Florida Championship Wrestling. The brawls in the crowds and using random weapons had been done before. In Mid South. In Mid Southern. In FCW. In WCW. In JCP. In WCCW. In GWF. Ditto for using tables as a prop. The super hardcore stuff was stuff Cactus and Funk did regularly in Japan and didn't start happening until AFTER they arrived.

That's not to say he is some talentless hack, he isn't. He IS a creative guy. He took over an Indy fed doing shows in front of 20-50 people in 1995 and by 1998 they were drawing a couple thousand people. He took a group of little talent guys like The Sandman, Sabu, Roadkill, Al Snow ect and just had them beat each other with random objects and/or act funny. He marketed his Indy promotion as a counter-culture revolution that was going to destroy the big two and got people buying in. He's a creative guy, no doubt, just not AS creative as he is made out to be and not the guy who had nothing BUT great ideas as fans make him out to be. For every good ECW creation he had he also had one that absolutely sucked. In that vein....

Vince Russo isn't the hack the IWC and dirtsheets make him out to be.

In contrast to Paul Heyman, for every bad Russo idea there was a good Russo idea. There's no doubt Russo has thought of some really bad ideas, but he's also had some really good ideas.

Starting with the WWF, the guy was ahead of his time. Anyone who used to flip through the WWF Magazines seen Vic Venom ripping the WWF's horrible product for years. His columns were pure Attitude Era style while Vince was booking T.L. Hopper and The Goon as Jim Ross and Jim Cornette kissed his ass telling him those were money ideas. The truth of his WWF run is as soon as Cornette was removed from creative and Russo was put in his spot the product started reflecting his Vic Venom columns.

Some would say and be correct he took alot of his stuff from ECW. They would be correct. When he became the head booker in the WWF they took on a very ECW style feel and used more than a few ECW storylines and gimmicks. Thing is by doing that he beat Bischoff at Bischoffs own game. E.B. was doing the same and having wild success by interjecting ECW style stuff into the WCW product. Russo was simply smart enough to start grabbing all of their stuff and doing it before WCW could. Many companies have done that over the years.

As to the WCW run, I try to give people a chance to explain situations before rushing to judgment. His explanation in WCW was that he wasn't given enough time, that standards and practices continually vetoed ideas of his and he had a massive amount of backstage politics to deal with. His explanation is consistent with Bischoffs, Sullivans and Jimmy Harts. They've all said the exact same things at one time or another. Nash, Hall, Hogan, Goldberg, DDP, Sting, Flair, Hart, they all had creative control over their contracts and final say so over any proposed storylines. The Radicalz after jumping ship all said Sullivan refused to push Benoit or anyone associated with him over Nancy leaving him. Nash was on the booking committee and as we all know Nash doesn't agree to anything that doesn't put him or his buddies over as the star of the show.

Even with all of that he still did alot of good things he never receives credit for, largely because he left McMahon and dared to state Vince isn't the infallible icon he props himself as. Russo during his initial run started pushing Bret, Benoit, Eddie and Jarrett(Who his detractors seem to forget WAS in line for a run in the WWF and big push until Austin refused to put him over), gave airtime to charismatic and funny characters like Norman Smiley and Ernest Miller and was moving the product forward as the ratings show.

Not only does he not receive credit he also gets blame for other peoples doings. A recent example would be the electric cage in TNA, thought up by Dutch Mantel. In WCW he regularly gets blame for the live bands on the programming, the actors and actresses showing up, talent off making movies and the product being branded by the mainstream. The sad thing is he gets all the blame even though that was all Time Warners doing and what they had been doing for years prior. It wasn't his idea to sign The Misfits to a wrestling deal, it wasn't his idea to create a wrestling KISS character and it wasn't his idea to book half the roster in Hollywood making movies.

All in all IMO he isn't the devil the IWC makes him out to be and is a creative guy at times who did more for the business than the IWC's hero Vince McMahon.

Heck, let's do a few more for now. I'm bored at work and need to kill time.

Shawn Michaels isn't the icon fans and the WWF make him out as.

Alot of people think it, very few say it. The guy wasn't that good and has never been Main Event material. He is undersized, his gimmick has been lame from day one and his best matches were when someone carried him through. For the most part though he's had the same match for the last two decades 50,000 times and even up to his retirement had to have his matches laid out backstage because he can't call one in the ring.

The ratings don't lie. Despite the WWE rewarding his asskissing for all these years with making him out to be some huge icon the ratings sucked during all of his runs. The WWF nearly went under during HIS reign of terror at the top. The dirtsheets you sent for in the mail back then used to do breakdowns during the Monday Night Wars of the ratings in hour and 1/4 hour increments. What the breakdowns they received from the Neilson Co showed was a large decrease in Raw viewers and a large INCREASE in Nitro viewers every time Michaels came through the curtain. The PPV buyrates with him as the headline attraction dropped. Attendance dropped. The truth his he never drew a dime in this business and would be THE worst drawing WWF Champion in HISTORY if not for his good buddy Kevin Nash who holds that dishonor.

Also don't forget, this guy went out of his way to hurt the product whenever it benefited him to do so. He went out of his way to bury Vader, Mankind, British Bulldog, Bret Hart, Owen Hart and others. Whenever it came down to putting someone over he either suddenly injured himself, lost his smile or put over someone he knew wouldn't outdraw him(Sid). He refused to put over Austin until he was forced to by Undertaker threatening him with physical harm and this is the guy who went out of the way to bury Shane Douglas when Douglas wanted to pitch "The Franchise" gimmick to McMahon. He sabotaged countless wrestlers runs, buried talent and weakened the product in an attempt to make himself stand out.

Ric Flair is vastly underrated by modern fans.

You read it right. Flair UNDERRATED. How so you ask? It's mostly by fans who weren't fans back in the day or too young to remember back in the day. The Flair you see today has NOTHING on the Nature Boy Ric Flair of the 1980's. His promos and his gimmick were both ahead of their time. You could have planted the original 4 Horsemen and Flairs promos into the Attitude Era and they would have stood against anyone elses and been a good fit. His ring psychology in his era was off the charts. His matches were great, and told a great story.

The reason "The Boys" all idolize Flair is because he could set the pace and carry a match 40-60 minutes. Very very few in this business can and even fewer can regularly. It is incredibly hard to work an hour long match and keep it from getting boring. He was also a guy who could pull off multiple quality matches in the same night WITHOUT hitting the same moveset twice. That too is very hard to do. He could also call these great matches IN THE RING. Again, not many can. Randy Savage couldn't. Bret Hart couldn't consistently. Rey Mysterio can't. Michaels can't. It's harder to do than it sounds. The Nature Boy ALSO had the ability to beat a guy WHILE making that guy look like a million bucks in the ring and look like a big deal. Goes back to that good old ring psychology. He knew how to pull it off.

Last but not least, Ric Flair was a massive draw and in fact possibly a bigger draw than the IWC's own Steve Austin. Blasphemy! How can I say that?! Well, because Ric Flair drew Attitude Era ratings and bigger PPV buyrates than the Attitude Era. Against Hulk Hogan and the WWF. Going head to head with the WWF. In the WWWF/WWF territory. The NWA used to put events against the WWF in MI, PA and a few other WWF strongholds on THE SAME NIGHT with Flair as the attraction and draw 20,000+ fans. Heres another piece of drawing power. 1/24/88. The WWF and the NWA went head to head with a PPV on the same night. Bunkhouse Stampede v.s. The Royal Rumble. Hogans company against Flair defending the NWA title against Road Warrior Hawk.

Long story short Bunkhouse Stampede and Ric Flair pulled a 3.50 buyrate. Head to head with the WWF at their peak(WWF won that war with their buyrate that night being 8.2). To contrast not one single Attitude Era PPV ever reached a 3.0 much less a 3.50 and that is WITHOUT going head to head with the biggest company and without going against the biggest draw in wrestling history. That my friends is impressive as hell. Ric Flair is EASILY the 2nd biggest name in wrestling history behind Hulk Hogan and has never got the full recognition he has long deserved.

Maybe this is popular. Maybe it's unpopular but

Wrestling skills are just as, if not MORE important than mic skills

This has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with me being a smark or a stereotypical IWC'er. Yes I do appreciate great in ring work and I wish more people possessed it. I do realize the importance of mic skills and some people like Miz and Anderson have found a way to win me over without being great in the ring. But let's think about this for a minute: wrestling companies tend to make money off of PPV's. Now I don't order PPV's anymore but that's not to say I won't in the future.

As big of a Miz fan I am, there is NO WAY I am paying $40-$50 to see Miz/Cena at a PPV. Why? Because neither showcase themselves, at least WWE doesn't showcase them, to be great in ring wrestlers. I pay to see WRESTLING. I want to see a GOOD WRESTLING MAIN EVENT ON PPV!!!! NOT TWO STICK WIZARDS WHO AREN'T ENTERTAINING IN THE RING!!!!

So maybe mic skills will get you farther but I want good wrestling in my main events. I want to spend money on a GOOD main event.

The Streak needs to end

Now whilst I know alot of people love Taker and think The Streak is wonderful but really it isnt. For every team that goes on a huge winning streak, for everybody who wants it to rn forever and see how long it can continue im sure that the same amount of people cant wait for it to end! Every year at Wrestlemania everybody looks forward to Undertakers match but why? Its only been believable that he may lose for the past 2 years against HBK. Was he really ever going to lose a Handicap match to A-Train and Big Show? Or to Henry in a Casket Match? No. Its not even that I personally dislike Taker as I think hes probally the greatest big man to wrestle, but I just cant stand this fucking stupid streak!

"The streak" has only been a thing since maybe 2005. During the American Bad Ass years, no one mentioned it. I think JR mentioned it once at Wrestlemania 18. It's only with the Legend Killer Randy Orton that WWE started pushing the idea of the streak. Coincidentally, that was probably the closest the streak has ever come to being beaten. See also: Wrestlemania 23

The streak doesnt need to end. It would not only undermine every competitor that has lost to Taker at Wrestlemania, but also be a huge slap in the face to him and the fans. The WWE will never find someone deserving enough to recieve that kind of push. Never.

Push Ted Dibiase more
Okay so he may not be the greatest in the WWE today, but he isnt half as bad as people make out! He has good ability in ring and isnt horrible on the mic. Have him buy a big bodygaurd and push him to the upper mid-card. Then maybe at the rumble pay a bunch of the jobbers/people who have no chance of winning to eliminate themselves and have him in the final four after a good showing. Take his dads gimmick of buying people off/protection and people will boo him more. Put him in the chamber match with a good showing there,trying to buy his way back in and a few more heelish tactics and you have a credible 2nd tier/top tier heel. I know this sounds a bit far away but with the way he is at the moment it will take a sustained push from now!

Incorrect. He's shit. Ignoring you're bland booking, lets keep in mind that he was the one that was supposed to succeed in Legacy. He was the one that got the movie deal and also got the shiny belt from his dad. Cody Rhodes was the one getting a win at Wrestlemania this year. Cody Rhodes is the one who worked to make his gimmick on eof the best in the company right now (regardless of the fact that they took away one of the greatest entrances of all the times).

DiBiase had that shit handed to him, and he couldnt make it work. He's shit.

Shawm Michaels is vastly overrtaed.

While I was never a fan of Michaels, i've always managed to keep a pretty objective opinion of him for the most part. But when you look at the credit he gets in comparison to other superstars(most noticably Triple H) it's downright baffling. There are a few direct componets in which I can state a claim as to why HBK is so overrated by everyone and their grandmother.

A.)He was never a main draw. Now, I was kind of young when Michaels was in the first part of his carrer but it's no secret he wasn't raking in the profits. Ironically, people always mention the fact that the majority of Cena's fans consisted women and children in a negative light...yet the same could've been said for Michaels. His look was essentially that of a homosexual stripper and the male adults were flat out changing the channel whenever he was on screen. He was never going to be able to carry the company business wise, and while that's not a direct criticism for him, it often is for other superstars...which maes no sense. The IWC is in love wth the concept of how over a superstar was, and while HBK did eventually become universially loved his growing pains and drawing failures are rarely mentioned. Popularity wise, he was never really at the top and that's putting it lightly. Luckily for him he didn't have to compete with Austin and the Rock during the attitude era. And what most people fail to recognize was Triple H, who never gets the credit he deserves was actually a draw to a point. And say what you will about Triple H during the late 90's or his Reign of Doom, the guy was THE top heel and drew people in every week to see him lose. Has HBK really had a span where people tuned in specifically for him? No. Again, I was very young during Michael's first run so alot of this is in retrospective so I won't spend to much time on this.

Politics. Now...from what we are told HBK has become a new man after his found god. That's great but why is it people so easily dismiss his past in favor of someone like, say...his best friend Triple H? You cannot, CANNOT even mention Trips in a topics with "Teh backstage powaz" or multiple rumored burials being mention. When Shawn was notorious for being a douche and a half in his day. I dont't know all of it but, but if people can throw stones at Jeff for being a druggie and take shot at HHH for abusing politics then the same should go for the heartbreak kid. I know alot of this is based around rumors...but i'm just trying to shed some light on what I see as mass hypocrisy. It's been well documented that he was a known prick...I don't think it's a secret. But that's not the point...I'm pretty sure many of the guys were/are at some point. It's just rather amusing so many people pretend as if he's some god fearing saint now and totally disregard what transpired in his earlier yeas. Agin to point to Triple H, it's ok for Michales to want to bury the Rock...but it's not ok for Triple H to want to push his friends as well? HHH has seemingly changed his attitude in his latter years, putting guys over and whatnot...but someone like him doesn't get the benefit of the doubt that Michaels does. HBK's stigmas are too easily removed compare to others for reasons I just don't get.

He was just as formulaic in the ring as most others. Has superstar has a routine in the ring...some superstars are better than hiding it than others but still. First off, I will say that HBK was great at telling a story...and he had great ring psycology, but he wasn't perfect in every department. First of all, he oversold way too much. The skinning the cat thing was just stupid, but since it's Michaels it's ok. I'm not even refering to the Hogan selling becasue that was intentional, but again why does only he get a pass? People bashed the Rock for it, and Orton who is one of the better sellers on the roster(seriously, he is) gets tremendous flak for it...Moving on. Why is it everyone loses their mind when Orton does the Angle slam but no one bats an eye when Micheals decides to use the Macho elbow, or the Figure Four? Yeah he "retired" Flair or whatever, but people knee to be consistent. Speaking of consistent...flying forearm to kip-up, reverse atomic drop, clothesline/scoop-slam, diving elbow then finally SCM. How is that different than any other main eventer's routine? Everyone get bashed for having FMOD, except Micheals who apparently hid them well...or whatever. Has he had great matches in the second half of his career? Yes, but the only reason everyone delares him sliced bread no. 2 is because he wasn't competing for titles. People just went " wow he doesn't want the strap, so other guys are going over him" which doesn't eqaute at all to wrestling ability...it simply jades some opinions. It got to the point where just because the guy did a springboard moonsault in a match it had to be a MOTY canidate. Again, to reiterate...I'm not trying to slight HBK's ability. Like him or not he is one of the greatest, but even though many don't want to mention it he has flaws...no matter how many times he gets lauded ad the GOAT.

Shawn Michaels isn't the icon fans and the WWF make him out as.

Alot of people think it, very few say it. The guy wasn't that good and has never been Main Event material.

When has his acclaim from his peers or fans ever been due to the amount of titles he has won? Or the ratings he drew? People love him because he puts on great matches, and performed with a lot of energy. Duh.

He is undersized, his gimmick has been lame from day one and his best matches were when someone carried him through.

Incorrect. Great matches take two people to put together. Saying anything else is utter bullshit. Bret Hart or Stone Cold never carried HBK in the same way that Michaels didn't "carry" Cena or Diesel to a great match. Both men in the ring put on great performances.

For the most part though he's had the same match for the last two decades 50,000 times and even up to his retirement had to have his matches laid out backstage because he can't call one in the ring.

The ratings don't lie. Despite the WWE rewarding his asskissing for all these years with making him out to be some huge icon the ratings sucked during all of his runs. The WWF nearly went under during HIS reign of terror at the top.

Firstly, it wasn't just HBK standing in the middle of the ring for an hour. I would shift as much blame to Hart as HBK. Also, um, WCW was kinda sorta ROFLstomping the competition at this stage. Hogan did this thing, he uh, sorta went heel. It was a big deal. I don't think that putting the belt on anyone else could have helped.

The dirtsheets you sent for in the mail back then used to do breakdowns during the Monday Night Wars of the ratings in hour and 1/4 hour increments. What the breakdowns they received from the Neilson Co showed was a large decrease in Raw viewers and a large INCREASE in Nitro viewers every time Michaels came through the curtain.

Because generally he came out at the end of the show during a main event. Right around the time the nWo were on screen.

The PPV buyrates with him as the headline attraction dropped. Attendance dropped. The truth his he never drew a dime in this business and would be THE worst drawing WWF Champion in HISTORY if not for his good buddy Kevin Nash who holds that dishonor.

Stan "the Man" Stasiak might have an issue with you. You completely miss the point of why people love HBK. Generally, whenever he wrestled, a great match was more often or not on the cards. And thats what stands up when we look back in 10, 15 years time. No one gives a shit about the buy rates, especially if you're an actual fan and not a robot accountant. It's the matches and the constant effort to put ones body on the line that we appreciate. Duh.

BTW, you seem like a douche and like Russo. You'll be a mod in no time.

Now for mine lol

SCOTT HALL IS SENSIBLE AND MATURE

lol im jkin who thinks that!

THE UNDERTAKERS WM STREAK IS POINTLESS, INACCURATE, MISLEADING AND THE ONLY REASON HES STILL EMPLOYED!

You know what annoys me!? Everyone says hes gona lose this year. Seriously WTF are u an idiot! The streak draws. Its tht simple and the fact tht its tarnished with 1 or 2 DQ wins and tht he missed a WM Too!

The Undertaker is boring - I seriously haven't been interested in the Undertaker since his first feud with Orton and his dad. I can not suspend my disbelief when everyone reacts to his music as if he's actually some superhuman zombie. His old entrance used to literally put me to sleep, and I'm glad he changed it. He doesn't move as fast as he used to anymore, he only shows up when he's booked for a PPV match, and I'm just not nearly as excited by his presence as other people in the LD are.

Hogan/Bischoff/Hardy isn't the problem with TNA; Vince Russo is - I'm starting to see Vince Russo as a cancer on the entire wrestling industry, and everything he gets involved with ends up sucking so bad, it becomes a parody of itself, or it just flat out dies. Fortunately, TNA became a parody of itself, so it has time to rid itself of Russo before the entire fucking company goes belly up.

Every single WWE Diva needs to be fired, save for a select few, and the entire division should be started from scratch - Beth Phoenix, Nattie, and Trish (maybe) should stay around. Every other Diva is fucking talentless, eye-candy garbage. Now that the WWE has entered the world of PG, their sexuality is no longer needed.

Doc is going to cut my heart out and eat it for this, but...

Daniel Bryan is overrated - I really love Dickbutt, and he can suck a good match out of ANYBODY, but Jesus Christ, the guy really doesn't have any charisma, his comedy segments aren't funny, and I don't see him climbing the ladder in the WWE unless they give him a gimmick and/or a storyline that would actually complement his entire style.

Fantastic thread!

Here's my unpopular opinion:

The IWC, most times, doesn't know a damn thing about wrestling (myself included), and shouldn't be listened to at all.

The great thing about opinions is that everyone is entitled to one. Unfortunately in the case of the IWC, most of them are simply dead wrong. From the "<insert favorite wrestler> should be WWE Champ" comments, to the "PG Era / Attitude Era is just fine because of XYZ" comments, to the love of all wrestlers under 6 foot 4 inches in height, the fawning over of certain wrestlers- most of our opinions show a distinct... lack of knowledge about the wrestling industry as a whole. Our opinions, naturally, cater to our own personal preferences, and not so much to what would be good for the business itself.

Here's my second:

The Rock has become Corny

I can't believe I just typed that. The Rock, circa 2001, was the coolest thing in pop culture. Go back to YouTube and watch it. The Rock, circa 2011, is not the same guy. Dwayne has been ... softened by Hollywood (the place filled with more *****es than any other place on the planet.)

It wasn't the "Fruity Pebbles" or Barney's Anus jokes. Those I found funny. It was "Team Bring It" that did it for me. It reminded me too much of "Team Jacob" or "Team Edward" from Twilight. Ugh.

My very unpopular opinions

Rick Flair is awful on the mic:
I said it before but I can't understand the guy. He sounds like he has difficulty speaking. Makes me not wanna listen to him.

I don't like Zack Ryder:
I totaly hate his gimmick. The whole woo woo woo sounds so childisch.
And I can't stand his arrogance. Even though I know it's just a gimmick.

Here is something most people don't think about...

ALL WRESTLING COMPANIES ARE GOOD.

WWE/F, TNA, WCW, ECW, ROH, everyone on here has an opinion on them but no matter if you think their good or bad, you still have some kind of interest in them.

That is the purpose of a wrestling company... to get you interested in pro wrestling and if you have an opinion on it then they have successfully done their job.

So if you say any particular company is "bad" then your wrong (period)

Zack Ryder isn't all that great.

Personally I think he's a good wrestler, but he's very overrated in the IWC. He shouldn't be pushed to the moon and become WHC or WWE Champ because of a Youtube show. Ryder has potential, and WWE needs to do something with him, but he's not Main Event Material

Brodus Clay not only has what it takes to main event, he has what it takes to Main Event IN 2011.

For a supposed "fat man" he moves really well. If I saw somebody like Cena, Zeke, Sheamus with their build, I definitely would not want to mess with them. But if I was walking down the streets and I saw Brodus Clay, I would shit bricks. He looks so intimidating with his size and that would make him believable. His "bad haircut" is one of those things that makes him unique. His size, presence, tattoos, intensity, facial expressions, all make him look intimidating that you wouldn't want to mess with.

I mean I could really see him feuding with Orton/Cena and with his mean streak he could REALLY build up sympathy for the babyface ESPECIALLY since he is quite the talker too. He's more than just any other big man. He really has what it takes to be a gigantic name in the WWE, starting this year and moving forward.

A lot of highspots and moves in a match are boring. A guy who remembers to sell the leg is more entertaining than a flippity sequence.

Kurt Angle isn't the best wrestler in the world, not even top 10. He's an olympic gold medalist, so he's a good amateur wrestler, but this whole "he's amazing in the ring" thing is a gimmick he and TNA sells out. He doesn't sell enough, murders his own finishers, and has been having the same "Kurt Angle epic" since 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back