UFC 129 LD - Trotting Jake Shields to the Glue Factory

Shields could not have walked into the octagon tonight with a worse gameplan. What a horrible fight from his end.

And GSP needs to fight Nick Diaz before he moves up. Nick Diaz would destroy the GSP we saw tonight.

Shields could not have walked into the octagon tonight with a worse gameplan. What a horrible fight from his end.

And GSP needs to fight Nick Diaz before he moves up. Nick Diaz would destroy the GSP we saw tonight.

No bias at all. ;)

I'm hoping GSP just has a corneal abrasion, which will heal in 24-72 hours. The only thing that would make that fight suck even more is if he had some serious eye damage as a result.

Rooting hard for Shields here. He's really grown on me from watching the Primetime specials.

Oh hey, look, trailer for the third Transformers movie. Hopefully it'll be better than the second. Huh...where's Megan Fox? Is she not in this one?

She's supposed to die at the beginning of the third one, actually.

No bias at all. ;)

There's bias in that statement, sure, but that doesn't make the statement any less true. Diaz is easily the best striker at Welterweight, and if GSP was scared of Shields' ground game, that makes me believe he would be hesitant to take Diaz to the ground as well. I really think GSP would go into a fight with Diaz and test his stand-up.

If GSP stood with Diaz, he would get destroyed. That's simply a fact. Now, if he took him down, it's anyone's game, but in a stand-up fight between these two, Diaz wins 100 times out of 100.

And I am a big Shields fan, but he deserves all the blame for that fight being boring. He put on an absolutely piss poor performance.

Put GSP in that cage with Nick Diaz and then we'll see a great GSP fight.

If GSP stood with Diaz, he would get destroyed. That's simply a fact. Now, if he took him down, it's anyone's game, but in a stand-up fight between these two, Diaz wins 100 times out of 100.
You've certainly seen Nick more than I have, but there's two things I know. GSP is the best athlete at 170, and he adapts a different gameplan to every fight.

Perhaps an all-out standout war Diaz would do better, but I'm not sure that's the fight we'd see.

You know, that has never bothered me. Because it's not that GSP is "boring" because he doesn't fight, he's "boring" because he's a smart fighter and not some animal the UFC found on the street corner. I have never once had a problem with GSP's style of fighting. He's learned wrestling, he works Jiu-Jitsu, and as we can see, his boxing is good enough to beat guys when it's clearly in his advantage.

GSP is a true martial artist. The fact that he doesn't end fights early has never bothered me.

It's nothing against GSP, just an observation about the excitement of the fight he had tonight. It certainly wasn't the worst fight I've ever seen but it's not one I'd ever feel the need or desire to re-watch again.

Same thought I had. I legit can't remember a single takedown he even attempted.

While I'd LOVE to see that fight, there's no way I see that being booked anytime soon.

Sigh.....

It'll be okay Fiz. I bet Randy comes back to the commentary team.

She's supposed to die at the beginning of the third one, actually.

:lmao:

Seriously? Why? Did she want too much money or something?

Apparently she hates Bay and says he is a terrible director to work with.

I am not a happy camper.......

Of course he's a terrible director, but who the fuck is she? She's not exactly Meryl Streep and I had no idea she actually gave a fuck about her craft.

50-43?! What the FUCK was that judge smoking? Seriously, send me some of that shit bro, because you'd have to be high as a fucking kite to score that fight 50-43. Especially given how Hominick dominated that last round.

Laughed out LOUD reading this (cause I agree). If I could rep you I would.

Lulz GSP didn't take it to the ground because he didn't need to, not because he was afraid. He knew he could win the fight by standing and felt no purpose to take the fight to the ground. Oh and JMT you're giving Diaz wayyy too much credit, his defense is quite shit.

Oh and JMT you're giving Diaz wayyy too much credit, his defense is quite shit.

What do you mean by defense? His takedown defense, or his stand-up defense?

Diaz might have piss poor takedown defense, but that doesn't matter since he's incredible off his back. The last two guys to take him down, Cyborg (BJJ Black Belt) and Hayato Sakurai (incredible submission defense), they both got tapped out immediately. And as far as his stand-up defense... complete bullshit. Diaz is just the type of fighter who's willing to take one shot so he can deliver 3 or 4 right back.

Nick Diaz will be GSP's kryponite if that fight happens (and it's looking more and more likely that it can). Mark my words.

Yo JMT what the fuck happened to Nate last night? Got totally dominated. That was a crazy fight, it seriously looked like MacDonald pulled out Kurt Angle's rolling German suplexes, I marked out.

My fucking recording cut out before the end of the main event. I take it there wasn't anything particularly exciting after the fourth round?

And yes, that 50-43 threw me too. Hominick lost, and lost decisively, but a seven point deficit? Fuck off.

Yo JMT what the fuck happened to Nate last night? Got totally dominated. That was a crazy fight, it seriously looked like MacDonald pulled out Kurt Angle's rolling German suplexes, I marked out.

He's too small for 170; that's really all there is to it.

Nate though needs to quit the fucking taunting and actually fight. Nick might taunt, but he moves forward and is usually first to throw. Nate fought like a counter striker last night, which is a HUGE mistake with the kind of style he fights with.

I'm still a big Nate Diaz fan, but man.. he needs to get his shit together. His performance last night was beyond pathetic, size difference or not.

What do you mean by defense? His takedown defense, or his stand-up defense?

Diaz might have piss poor takedown defense, but that doesn't matter since he's incredible off his back. The last two guys to take him down, Cyborg (BJJ Black Belt) and Hayato Sakurai (incredible submission defense), they both got tapped out immediately. And as far as his stand-up defense... complete bullshit. Diaz is just the type of fighter who's willing to take one shot so he can deliver 3 or 4 right back.

Nick Diaz will be GSP's kryponite if that fight happens (and it's looking more and more likely that it can). Mark my words.

His striking has holes in it which GSP can exploit and Diaz' striking isn't that much better than St Pierre's, it's still better but the gap is certainly not as big as you make it out to be. And this isn't Daley or Cyborg who wil try and take Diaz out and exchange, this is St Pierre who isn't going to try and knockout the strongest chin in MMA. Cyborg was being used as a punching before mercifully achieving a takedown, he was out of it and has shitty top control anyway. And I don't know much about Sakurai but his record indicated he wa worn out and he lost via armbar in his last fight before facing Diaz. St Pierre's top control will ensure he doesn't get submitted, even by someone as good as Diaz is.

Nick Diaz will be GSP's kryponite if that fight happens (and it's looking more and more likely that it can). Mark my words.[

Fans out of optimism and the need to increase excitement say a lot of things;). But I do agree Diaz would be St Pierre's greatest test as champion but I still think Georges would beat him in a fairly decisive victory.

Nate Diaz's performance yesterday won't look nearly as bad as years from now when McDonald is challenging for the title.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back